Mens Tennis Forums banner

Best chance?

What year was Federer's best chance to beat Nadal at Roland Garros?

8K views 129 replies 78 participants last post by  Cloren 
#1 ·
Perhaps the biggest blot on Federer's resume is his RG record vs. Nadal. Had the Swiss won RG while beating Nadal en route, well it is tough to say he is not undisputed GOAT.

But since he didn't, what was his best chance?

Roger Federer is 0-5 vs. Nadal at RG. And I can't even tell you how many problems have been found.

2005 RG Sf- After they split the first two sets, fed had a break lead in the 3rd and the 4th, but Nadal was too strong. This maybe was his best chance, as Nadal had not yet owned him mentally at this point, and hadn't won his first RG yet either. Only thing is, even if he beat Nadal, would he have beaten Puerta?

2006 RG F- this was possibly his best chance seeing as he was on fire after that 6-1 first set, and it was Roger's peak year.

2007 RG F- again this was maybe rogers best chance, but he was like 1/17 bp in the match. let that number sink in. but he had many many chances.

2008 RG F- well not even i can make a case for this one, this is the troll option

2011 RG F- this was roger's best chance perhaps. nadal low on confidence after losing to djokovic, playing very average in 2011, and the bad balls and weather, roger had that sp in the first, but just missed that shot. had chances in all 4 sets.

See less See more
#36 · (Edited)
I'd have to say 2006. Ridiculous 2nd set. I think he was up 40-0 in some game at the opening of the set. Made some the casual UEs, lost the game and then collapsed mentally. That was the match I knew Federer was never going to be up to the challenge of facing Rafa.

He wasted precious time in 2003 and 2004. Had he applied himself then and won RG who knows what such confidence would have done for him in his matches vs Rafa at RG. Just goes to show every moment counts so make it count :yeah:

#39 ·
2011 - fed sadest lose for me

#40 ·
2011 was the year the French tried everything in their power to give Federer their win over Nadal, and it still didn't work.

But man, did Federer play some awesome tennis that year at RG.

#47 ·
In 2011 he had a good chance but choked after another ridiculous, strategic MTO for Rafa. What was it he did, changed his socks or something? Pathetic.

#49 · (Edited)
2006 of course and it's not even questionnable !

1) The level of Federer :
- Federer was at his peak
- Federer himself said it was his best opportunity against Nadal on clay at RG. Years after the match, he said he was sure to win this match after the first set and didn't understand how he could lost it.

2) The level of Nadal :
- Nadal's coming back from injury this year, he had not the same confidence as in 2005. I think this was a weak Rafa this year, maybe the weakest version of him in the French Open (remember his BH or his serve at those time, his improvements in those areas are incredible...).
- Nadal had a lot of lapses of concentration during this tournament, his level wasn't always good. Sometimes he was brillant like in 2005, but sometimes he lost his level and was very nervous, choking BP or even set. He had very very hard matches against Hewitt, and especially Mathieu (5 hours of epic battle).

3) The scenario of the match :
- For those who remember well the match, Federer was a set up and just toying with a very very nervous Rafa. He had a triple break point at the beginning of the second set. On the first one, Nadal hit an UE, very close from the line, and Federer was so dominating that he clear the mark and made replayed the point. But he was wrong. He should've broken Nadal here. Nadal next saved the 3 BP and broke Federer. A new match started from this point.
- Nadal was close to choke it at the end. Couldn't serve for it at 5-4 in the fourth. If Fed wins the TB here, I think he would've won the match. Actually it's the closest score between those two in RG : it's the only time Fed was leading in set, and so close to push Nadal in a fifth set.

#54 ·
2009 Fed played greatest clay tennis ever. Also Rafa played his best clay tennis that year but it was only 3rd best clay tennis ever. Söderling 2009 played 2nd best clay tennis ever and denied Fed the chance to get to roast Nadal.

Fed >>>>>> Söderling >>>> Rafa

#59 ·
2005 was the only shot really. I agree with people who say after Rome 2006 Federer was never beating Nadal on clay unless he was tired or injured, and certainly never at Roland Garros. Not only was a surging Nadal clearly the superior clay courter, clearly a bad technical matchup for Roger, but he had the huge psychological edge from that moment on, especialy on clay. Not that he could have easily won the 2005 match, and as it was he played very well and lost in 4.

#62 ·
Fed lost everywhere, but he's GOAT, no?

Nadal problem can be found.

#64 ·
He never really had a chance in 2007. Nadal was not playing his best that day and unlike 2006 Federer played extremely well all match, and Federer still could never get in control of the match. Nadal saved almost all the break points by simply being too resilent and tough. I would say 2006 was the last year Federer had some sort of chance vs Nadal on clay, although already it was much tougher than 2005. 2007 was the first year Federer really didn't even have a fighting chance vs Nadal on clay, unless he was visibly tired or injured.

I laugh at 2011 winning this poll. If peak/prime Federer couldn't beat Nadal at the French, how was 30 year old Federer going to. Also what is funny is many of the people voting for 2011 are the same Djokovic fanboys who insist 2011 was Nadal's normal level of clay tennis and in no way was he below his normal level on clay this year (lol). Well if that is the case you would never be picking 30 year old Federer to have had his best chance ever of beating Nadal at RG, so already proof you individuals know full well your previous claims were wrong and were an outright lie.

#69 ·
If you don't win a match because of a MTO, then you don't deserve to win. Period. :lol:

#71 ·
The only plausible answer/chance seemed to be in 2005 when they were just knowing each other in terms of tennis and Roger was in his prime. The rest are a definite NO in my opinion. 2011 - Maybe an outside chance but the first set gave away about who was going to win it. 5-2 -> 5-7 :facepalm:.

2008 - That was a stupid option when you used the word chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.