Mens Tennis Forums banner

Davis Cup

110K views 2K replies 74 participants last post by  Brad1973 
#1 ·
I thought it might be useful to start a thread for Davis Cup discussions.

Next up is Ecuador, July 8-10.

So who do we send? (I am asking who we would send, not who Laurendeau will pick since many of his recent choices have been inscrutable, to put it politely).

Ecuador of course has long been looking forward to el bombardero: see http://www.diario-expreso.com/ediciones/2011/03/29/deportes/mas-deportes/el-bombardero-raonic/ (I like the fact that this piece suggests Raonic is the main reason for choosing clay – as if a Latin American country ever picked anything but clay against our guys!)

Apart from Raonic, Nestor is there of course, unless he is not available.

I don’t see any signs of players getting themselves ready for the clay (Pospisil, Polansky and Bester are all signed up for hard court challengers in the weeks of Wimbledon). And for the week of DC, Dancevic is signed up for Newport, where he has a QF to defend.

But really when you look at the players Ecuador has to choose from, you can understand that we wouldn’t be taking extreme measures to get ready: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx?d=06.06.2011&c=ECU&r=0#. The remaining Lapentti is the only guy they have in the top 350, and he seems to be having problems – recently he’s been retiring from a match almost as often as he completes one.

I would encourage Dancevic to play Newport, and go with Nestor and Pospisil in doubles and bring along Polansky, with a view to playing either Peter or Vasek in the singles.

See less See more
#839 ·
So if we do manage to get past Japan, and if the Czechs do beat the Dutch, Team Canada will be going into the QF tie with a 3-0 H2H against Berdy (Milos 2-0, Vasek 1-0). And ofc, we will also have home court advantage.

I don't mean to be getting ahead of things here ..still lots more work to do ofc ..but WOW! I can't help being excited today! :D :D :D

#841 ·
by the looks of it, I'm wondering if Vashy will be available for Davis Cup. If not, we can still use Frank Dancevic as our no.2 against Japan.

How I see it.

Raonic>Nishikori
Dancevic>Soeda

I think we can still beat Japan even without Vasek in the lineup. Besides Dancevic played well for us when we played Spain. So he is capable of bringing a GOAT like performance.

#845 ·
Tennis Canada released news seeming to indicate that Vasek is playing ... however, I haven't seen anything to indicate that he's actually in Japan yet .. which you'd think he'd have to be if he plans on playing (or risk a serious case of jet-lag come Friday). Always possibility that Tennis Canada is being tight lipped about Vasek pulling out (like they were with Milos injury in tie vs. Ecuador in 2011).

#849 ·
Slow and low bouncing, sounds like the worst court ever, they also can't change the court if it doesn't fall under ITF rules.

#856 ·
So if Vasek can't play, how should the draw go?

Day 1
Raonic vs. Soeda
Dancevic vs. Nishikori

Day 2
Raonic/Nestor vs. japan team

Day 3
Raonic vs. Nishikori
Dancevic vs. Soeda

Without Vasek, this tie seems even and we could potentially lose to Japan. Nishikori beat Raonic last time they played and he's a pretty good player. I hope if Dancevic plays, he plays like he did against Spain = Inspire world beater Frank Davis Cup.

#857 ·
Vasek has been practising doubles all week. Pretty positive that if it comes down to it he will play in the 5th rubber, not Frank. Sitting out fridays rubber is more of a precaution i feel. If possible it would be best if he just played in a quick 3 set doubles match while not putting too much strain on his back. The draw will be at 8:30 tonight, so we should have a clearer picture by the end of the night.

#858 · (Edited)
Uh oh:

Arash Madani ‏@ArashMadani 1m

BREAKING: Have learned Milos Raonic is OFF Canada's roster vs. Japan at Davis Cup due to an ankle injury. Peter Polansky will replace him.

and:

Tennis Canada ‏@Tennis_Canada 1m

#DavisCup draw - Fri singles starting at 11 pm ET on Sportsnet: Polansky vs. Nishikori followed by Dancevic vs Soeda. #CdnTennis

and:

Tennis Canada ‏@Tennis_Canada 20s

#DavisCup draw - Sat doubles at 11pm ET: Nestor/Pospisil vs Sugita/Uchiyama. #CdnTennis

#865 ·
yeah, ok, this sucks. Vasek better be ready for day 3.

If we're up 2-1 I assume we sub him in to play Soeda, if we're down 2-1 then I assume we sub in him to play Kei and hope he wins forcing a 5th?

This went down the tubes in a hurry

#872 · (Edited)
With Milos out, unless Pospisil's bad back/hip hasn't gotten any better than it was against Ebden, Vasek needs to play Soeda.

Any Canadian combination will take the doubles, barring a big upset - we need to focus on getting the right singles rubber combinations. The way it's set up now, it's overkill for the doubles rubber.

Frank and Soeda will go five sets with Soeda a slight favourite; Soeda and Peter will also go five again with Goh a slight favourite at home. Even a healthy Vasek would be hard pressed against Kei in Japan the way he's playing now under Chang's tutelage.

Play Vasek Friday, win the doubles and hope Frank comes up big against Goh on Sunday.

PS. The Czechs could change their mind, but given the draw, you'd think Milos could wrap the thing up to take out Soeda, to leave Vasek to win the Sunday's rubber against Soeda and Frank to show up in doubles.