Mens Tennis Forums banner

Quick Questions Thread

372K views 3K replies 580 participants last post by  umbrellapub 
#1 ·
I think there could be a thread for questions that don't need an own thread. If one already exist, please merge this with it.

Anyway, my question is what is the biggest difference between indoor and outdoor tennis. Naturally there's no wind indoors. And why indoor courts are considered to be faster and how does closing the roof affects at Wimbledon?

Reactions: Motoflou
#240 ·
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

SQ:
How does the machine measure the speed of player's serve??? Is the speed measured when the ball leave the racket or the timing it passes the net???
I actually asked that already somewhere in this thread. It's measured as the ball leaves the racket, before it hits the surface. So the surface doesn't matter to the measured speed.

#245 ·

My stupid question : I've never understood why players have to choose the ball they'll use for the next point between... news balls of the same mark ! I could understand it after some games of play, but they use to do it even in a game with new balls...

My answer would be to focus and choose to tactic they'll use on the next point + to recover between points but not sure at all

#255 ·

My stupid question : I've never understood why players have to choose the ball they'll use for the next point between... news balls of the same mark ! I could understand it after some games of play, but they use to do it even in a game with new balls...

My answer would be to focus and choose to tactic they'll use on the next point + to recover between points but not sure at all
I think it is a routine they go through, regardless if it actually makes sense.

#247 ·

Regarding the shortening of the schedule, has the idea of making IW and Miami 1 week tournaments been taken into consideration?

#259 ·

are wildcards seeded?
if yes, can there be a reason that a WC is not seeded?
Wildcards are seeded only if their current ranking (week before the tournament) is high enough. Hewitt, receiver of many WCs lately, has never been seeded with one. If Djokovic should take a WC to Basel, however, he will be seeded #2. If he takes one to Valencia, he'll be seeded #1.

Pete Sampras once - as world #1 - asked for a WC to Vienna and was turned down, they had none left. He still got in as Boris Becker renounced the WC he had been given. So there is no absolute guarantee even for top players to get one. When he first was in, though, he was seeded #1.

#254 ·
How are entry lists made ?

This thread might be little bit off topic, but I am very curious how players sign into tournaments.

It is via some players application, some special site where they can see other signed players or it is via personal contact with current tournament ?

Does anybody knows how is it ? And when entry list is made, where is it posted (I don´t count here on MTF or other forums) ?

#257 ·
Re: How are entry lists made ?

6 weeks before the tournaments is when it's decided. They have a thing called Player Zone and each player has their personal number for which they sign in for the tournaments on line.

It's 3 weeks for Challengers.

#258 ·
Re: How are entry lists made ?

Thanks for the info, I haven´t heard about that Player Zone a lot. You can merge this thread into S.Q.T. :)

#260 ·

If player ends season in TOP 30, what tournaments he has to play next year ? Only 8 Masters 1000 or plus another 4 ATP 500s ? :)

#261 ·

I think if you end up in the top 30, you are subject to the obligation that you need to play (or commit to) at least 4 ATP 500 events. You can then (as of this year and for all I know) count your best 6 results, irrespective of whether they came in ATP 500s or ATP 250s. Obviously, you also get to could 8 Masters (Mickey Carlo is seen as a 500 event) and 4 GSs + WTF.

#262 ·

So it means 8 Masters 1000 tournament (no Monte Carlo) plus 4 ATP 500 (with Monte Carlo) and another 250s ? And what is the rule "best of 6" for ?

You can play 6 ATP 500s instead of 4 500s and lets say 2 250s ?

#266 ·

So it means 8 Masters 1000 tournament (no Monte Carlo) plus 4 ATP 500 (with Monte Carlo) and another 250s ? And what is the rule "best of 6" for ?

You can play 6 ATP 500s instead of 4 500s and lets say 2 250s ?
Have I understood it correctly that for previous years top 30, the ranking points are calculated as 4 GS + 8 mandatory TMSs + 6 best other events + possible WTF?

And is the system for others that their ranking points are 18 best results of previous 52 weeks?

And are there some rules that prevent higher-ranked players to play Challengers of Futures? At least I've understood it so, could anybody explain?

#263 ·

Nah, the rules were slightly changed this year.

It used to be that you'd be able to count your best 4 500s and best 2 250s. However, this year if you fulfilled your commitments to the ATP 500 category (play any 4 during the year or at least do promotional work for them), you'd potentially be able to count 6 250s if the results from those were actually better than the results you got in the 500s.

This also includes DC. So, basically you'd count your 6 best results outside the GSs and Masters 1000.

#267 ·

Top 10 can't play challengers. From 11-50 if they want to play a challenger then they have to ask for a wildcard.

Futures if you are inside the top 200 then they can't play Futures events.

#268 ·

Can somebody explain this to me? What exactly does he mean?

@Sergiy Stakhovsky
I needed Dimitrov to stay only 60 sec more in his match in order to get into a draw #Paris bad luck for him and for me.. Leaving to Geneva tomorrow...

#271 ·

Some sports have earnings lists but is there any (unofficial) annual list for tennis.

#274 ·

Litotes, who is the player with the highest number of career match wins and 0 titles?

#278 ·

I have a question :

What is it with these court colours ? Almost every indoor hardcourt is blue now ...

What I remeber - Zagreb used to be red - was blue this year. Same with Vienna for example. Basel turned from red to blue last year.

This year challengers like Geneva (from purple) or Bratislava (from red) turn to blue, too. There are also more examples. Why is this ??

#281 ·

Blue is the colour that makes it easiest to see the yellow ball. Blue and yellow are complimentary colours.
This is not true. Yellow and Purple are complementary colors. Orange and Blue are also complementary.