Mens Tennis Forums banner

Athletics

8K views 363 replies 27 participants last post by  JMG 
#1 ·
I didnt see any thread about athletics in here and the Words are coming soon so i decied to start one ;)
Well i am (almost)only intetrested with the triple jump :cool:

BTW Does anyone know where i can find some pics from the super gps this year?

#356 ·
Ah, thanks for the picture Sandra. She and Marian would make quite a good couple I think :)

I think her name may be Adelina Gavrila, I looked up some things on Iaaf.org and found that name.

Anyway, I have to go now

Goodbye :wavey: Take care

#359 ·
Brussels Golden League

I arrived with my father who is also a big athletics fan. We walked in front of the stadium and a shuttle bus came and parked and lots of Athletes came out, including Yargelis Savigne, Tatyana Lebedeva and husband, Christine Arron, Moya the Cuban high jumper and lots more. I watched as they disappeared into the stadium to get their race numbers. They soon came out again and I tried to approach Yargelis Savigne for an autograph, but was too backward in doing so as she walked into the training grounds. Just as I was turning back, I saw another of my favourite athletes “Tim Benjamin” of Great Britain walking to the training ground with countryman Robert Tobin. This time I was more forward in asking for an autograph and they both stopped and talked a little with me. I congratulated them for their relay 4th place in Helsinki and for Tim coming 5th in the 400m final. I also wished them luck and they thanked me and moved on. Sitting with her pole also outside the stadium was Gillian Schwartz, the American Pole Vaulter, reading what looked like an old edition of Cosmopolitan.
I took my seats in the stadium, and found that they were right in front of a horrible looking fence, obstructing my view for any photos. My father offered to take the photos and sit at the stairs so I thanked him in doing so.
The first races were the under 16 1k. I believe in one of the races, there was one competitor I ran against in a race last year, which they won and I came 7th but maybe I was mistaken.
Competitors came around the track in the ceremony in chariots where the crowd welcomed them cordially.
The Women’s 5000m was an exciting affair, won by Meserat Defar in a world best time. I spent most of my time in the race cheering for Norwegian Susanne Wigenne, whom finished 5th in a personal best. I had sitting next to me some crazy Swedish supporters and some Kenyan 1500m runners who were competing later in the evening.
The next event on track was the women’s 400m hurdles. It was one by Lashinda Demus who threw a bouquet at the end which I nearly got, but lost out in a tug of war with some man.
I was looking forward to the men’s 400m so I could cheer for Tim Benjamin and Tobin. It started well and in the closing stages, Benjamin worked hard to try and chase a significant lead by Jamaican Brandon Simpson, who was running the race of his life to set a PB. Unfortunately, the finish line came too soon and Benjamin just missed out on gold, coming 2nd. Tobin finished 7th out of the 9 respective competitors.
I personally found the men’s steeplechase boring so decided to go and see how father was and I moved my rucksack to the end to some vacant seats so I could get out easier. Also, sitting in the block next to me were lots of athletes. I decided to take this as my time out also for a toilet break and to get my dinner, a chiliburger. Shaheen won it in a world leading time but not in the world record he promised.
The next track event was the equally dull women’s 100m, won by Christine Arron. Muna Lee failed to show up L. The mens 1500m made up for it, Rashid Ramzi just missed out and came second to Kenyan Daniel Komen Kipkirchir.
The Men’s 110m hurdles were next. Allen Johnson won. It wasn’t particularly exciting, America got a “1-2-3-4”. I cheered loudly for Hazel Clark in the 800m, she came third in a race. Mayte Martinez won it. The men’s 100m was won by Gatlin, as was expected. The men’s 5000m was quite exciting, with a cordial atmosphere. Halfway through the race, Rashid Ramzi entered, I asked for an autograph and he stopped and signed. :D . Hasna Benhassi and Mehdi Baahla also sat nearby. It was also during the 5000m that Ejegayehu Dibaba came past. I asked for an autograph as well as did several others but she gave a huge smile and walked off. I don’t think she understands English very well, I know her little sister Tirunesh doesn’t. Well, the 5000m was won by Kipchoge.
The women’s 200m had a lot of support for Kim Gevaert. She came 2nd though and my hope to win, Cydonie Mothersill did exactly that and won. Mayte Martinez came through and signed for a few people, including myself.
The 800m male was also exciting, Borsakovskiy ran a smart race and won it. The news came to us then, that Yelena Isinbayeva failed to break the world record but performed well.
The pinnacle of the night was the mens 1000m. Kenny Bekele won in a new world record, he was so happy at the end and drove in his car he won. I like Bekele.
At the end of the night, “The Village People” who sang YMCA treated us to a concert. Joy.

Hope people enjoyed it, I will post photos tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.