Mens Tennis Forums banner

Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Chase Visa 
#1 ·
Rainer Schüttler announced his retirement in an interview with a leading german newspaper.
Some noteworthy points from this interview:

- He bought former World Team Cup, together with Ion Tiriac. They plan to do a 250 tourney (no blue clay).

- He has met his girlfriend at Janko Tipsarevic's wedding. She is Biljana's sister.

#9 ·
Great player, made top 5 in the world in 2004 :eek:

Was at the YEC in 03 as well. I always respected his play.
I lol'd.

Shittler is another relic of the mug era of early 2000's. Nothing about his game that stands out. Drugassi sure had tough path to his slams by beating clowns like him in finals :eek:

#3 ·
Bad for the game :sad:

He was a very good player who played great tennis to reach his maiden Slam final, and during the entire year of 2003 really, including the TMC. Also some other great performance over the years, namely Wimbledon 2008.

#7 ·
Counter-puncher but a ballsy one and played some very good tennis at times but was prone to being outplayed a lot which is why he didn't consistently stay there.

His AO run was a rough draw albeit made easier by Safin's pullout- Safin, Blake, Nalbandian and Roddick were all overcame before he was outhit by Agassi. Also made the TMC that year and then had his next big week in MC 2004 when he knocked out a couple of strong clay courters before again being well beaten by Coria in the final. Then not a lot till 2008 when he reached the SF at Wimby and gave Nadal a decent match given his lack of overall firepower.

He maximised what he had. Far from the worst top 10 guy.

#8 ·
Schuettler was good in that AO 2003 but for me he would not have be played in that final without a gassed Roddick. 2003 seems like Roddick's best (lost) chance of an AO title. Rainer was good and he had a stellar season which should have secured him a nice living standard but his game never excited me.

#14 ·
Never one of my favourites, but nice career he had, now my best wishes for an even good post-tennis career for him ahead. :)

#15 ·
Rainer Schüttler announced his retirement in an interview with a leading german newspaper.
Some noteworthy points from this interview:

- He bought former World Team Cup, together with Ion Tiriac. They plan to do a 250 tourney (no blue clay).

- He has met his girlfriend at Janko Tipsarevic's wedding. She is Biljana's sister.
saw her at the open........hot stuff

#16 ·
Schuttler has always been abit of an enigma to me. I haven't seen his AO 2003 run apart from the match against Roddick, and the one against Agassi. After that I've seen him play a few matches and I never really understood how he reached the AO final.

I really enjoyed his Wimbledon 2008 run though, and he showed some class there. I have to agree with rocketassist in that he truly maximised his potential. To that I tip my hat. Well done Rainer, and good luck!

#18 ·
well i didnt like him at all to be honest, but its always sad news when someone who has been in the top retires

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.