Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will he return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal confirmed for Viña del Mar

153K views 1K replies 248 participants last post by  Action Jackson 
#1 ·
Toni just gave an interview on Spanish radio. Said:

- Rafa's career is not in any danger. They are just being cautious.
- Rafa would like to play in Rio 2016 and hopes to compete there (again I suppose emphasising this is not some career ending injury). They all want to extend his career as much as possible and to do that they are taking the conservative approach -- "no more patches". (By this I think he is referring to earlier remarks he made about how this year they've just tried to manage injury in a piece meal way by taking time off in Miami etc. but that is not correct. He needs to wait till he is 100%.)
- It is not the same tendinitis as before, but is related to the same issue.
- Toni's been hearing that Nadal's career will be short all his life - but even if he retired now it would not have been a short career as he's played for a decade as a professional - since he was 16.

They also had some doctor on who said Nadal's tendon had degenerated and needed 3 months of rest. Given that he had most of June off, July and now August, maybe a DC return in September is not too far fetched...

Basically, as always, I think the "his career is over" brigade are going a bit far. If anything this sounds like he's learned from past mistakes and is following exactly what the doctors tell him to try and get the most from what remains of his career. Beating any of the other 3 - Andy, Roger, Nole - would have been tough at the US Open - let alone when not at full match fitness and without competitive play. If he was still suffering a bit, then better to be cautious - at this stage he needs to basically try and maximise slam chances.

As a reminder - think of the Nadal we saw at WTF 2011 - listless, passionless, bagelled by Federer. Next major tournament a few months later - few games away from winning the Australian Open. His body will always be an issue but the fire and motivation to me has been a bigger concern - at least that seems to still be there and perhaps be even stronger due to setbacks. Sounds like Rio 2016 might just be the think that keeps him going even if it seems farfetched right now that he'd be competitive in 4 years time. :lol:

See less See more
#672 ·
Re: Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Spanish Press: Nadal not in DC etc

I miss my tennis comedy show. Bring back the jumping up and down stupidly, the scowling, the cheating, the complaining, the stalling and the ass picking.
complaining and moving slowly is not cheating whatsoever, although I imagine you're just like trolling to be a jerk :eek: :mad:

up to umpires to take more action, not up to a player to automatically play at the rate you as a fan expect him to

#673 ·
Re: Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Spanish Press: Nadal not in DC etc

Up to a player to play at the rate required by the rules, I would have thought. Unless there is a good reason not to do so, like a lot of noise or something similar.

#684 ·
Re: Rafa OUT of Abu Dhabi

Rafa Nadal · 11,421,695 like this
6 minutes ago ·
Lamento mucho no poder competir este año en Abu Dhabi. Todo estaba preparado y tengo muchas ganas de volver a la competición pero los médicos me han prohibido competir en Abu Dhabi por una infección estomacal que me ha producido fiebre.

En Abu Dhabi siempre me han tratado muy bien y esta es la primera vez que no puedo competir en ese torneo. Mi recuperación ha ido bien, mis rodillas se encuentran mejor y como digo tenía muchas ganas de volver a la competición. Lo siento por mis fans en los Emiratos y en todo el mundo. Espero poder estar allí el año que viene.

I am very disappointed that I will not be able to compete this year in Abu Dhabi. I was really excited about returning to play and I always have a wonderful experience at the event and this is the first time I will miss the tournament.

My rehab has gone well, my knee feels good and I was looking forward to competing. Unfortunately doctors have informed me that my body needs to rest in order to fight this stomach virus. I would like to say sorry to all my fans in the United Arab Emirates and around the world, but I hope to play and win in Abu Dhabi again next year.
I regret much not to compete this year in Abu Dhabi. Everything was prepared and I am eager to return to competition but doctors have forbidden me to compete in Abu Dhabi for a stomach infection that has produced me fever.

In Abu Dhabi always have treated me very well and this is the first time that I can not compete in that tournament. My recovery has gone well, my knees are better, and as I was eager to return to competition. I'm sorry for my fans in the Emirates and throughout the world. I hope to be there the coming year.

I am very disappointed that I will not be able to compete this year in Abu Dhabi. I was really excited about returning to play and I always have a wonderful experience at the event and this is the first time I will miss the tournament.

My rehab has gone well, my knee feels good and I was looking forward to competing. Unfortunately doctors have informed me that my body needs to rest in order to fight this stomach virus. I would like to say sorry to all my fans in the United Arab Emirates and around the world, but I hope to play and win in Abu Dhabi again next year. (Translated by Bing)

https://www.facebook.com/Nadal/posts/10151246940221026

#694 ·

Get well soon, I wanna see everyone healthy in time for AO so we will have a great tournament!!!!!

So no play for fed and rafa this year b4 AO.. Lots if time to heal, enjoy and recharge in energy!!

Reactions: ProdigyEng
#696 ·

as long as he is back for the clay season. Shame though, hope he makes it to Aussie Open.

#697 ·

My thoughts were Rafa would get a few matches under his belt before he arrives in Melbourne. This clearly won't happen.

I have grave fears that Rafa will indeed pull out of the Australian Open.

#717 ·

My thoughts were Rafa would get a few matches under his belt before he arrives in Melbourne. This clearly won't happen.

I have grave fears that Rafa will indeed pull out of the Australian Open.
doubtful. any team would be extremely cautious about the manner in which a player like Nadal comes back to tour. half the battle is physically feeling well and playing well, but as strange as it is, often the other half is how you are perceived. seems strange to come back first event as an exho, I am sure they just want maximum time for him to find his groove before first tournament. I'm pretty confident he'll be back in Doha, there's no logical reason that Nadal would bullshit for more than a month saying he's practically recovered

I doubted he would partake in Abu Dhabi before this anyway, just doesn't make any sense to bother with an exho when you're coming back from absence... his opponents wouldn't be taking it seriously and it wouldn't help him gauge where he needs to be

pretty confident he'll be in Doha but of course who knows. if it truly was something potentially still wrong with the knee, he would not likely have mentioned a 'stomach virus'. he would have been vague about it

#707 ·
Re: Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal out of Abu Dhabi exho

Poor Rafa--What can the guy do? He wants desperately to get back on court but the doctor forbids it. The doctor carries a whip, chains, a couple of knives and a sawed-off shotgun. Must obey!

#708 ·
Re: Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal out of Abu Dhabi exho

Quote from Nadal.

"My rehab has gone well, my knee feels good and I was looking forward to competing. Unfortunately doctors have informed me that my body needs to rest in order to fight this stomach virus. I would like to say sorry to all my fans in the United Arab Emirates and around the world, but I hope to play and win in Abu Dhabi again next year."

This withdrawl, according to Nadal is unrelated to the knee. If so, you'd assume he will be healthy intime to compete in Doha, as usually stomach bugs only last 3-4 days. That is if he's being honest..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.