Mens Tennis Forums banner

********Qatar ExxonMobil Open**********

10K views 306 replies 42 participants last post by  SUKTUEN 
#1 ·
Federer has Murray on his side of the draw of course. :D

#245 ·
I think he played quite ok in the beginning of the 2nd set until he missed his chance. Then it felt like he sort of just let it go in both sets. There was no intensity and hunger to win the match at all. I feel this shouldn't be the case in the Australian Open. The attitude would make a big difference. But he definitely needs his 1st serve back which was so poor today.

I don't think Murray is in his head like Nadal is, but it feels bad to see him lose to him 3 times in a row :eek:

#250 ·
je suis vrement triste pour federer qui a perdu sette manche je voulais qu'il gagne en australie mais il a perdu

#251 ·
Well ... well.... well, all is obviously not well in the Fed world. I never saw Roger winning this match, maybe that's why I never bothered even with the livescores in the office. Perhaps thought it might be a bit closer than the scoreline suggests. It seems to me that when Roger knows his opponent has the measure of him, he cracks under the pressure now. When younger, I don't believe he would have done.

At the very top of the game, its all mental - Roger has said this himself. Murray is on a real roll ... he exudes confidence and when I first saw a photo of him after the winter training I was like ... :eek: at how he looked even more physically solid than he did before.

As far as Roger's loss in Dubai to AM in Dubai is concerned, I didn't really take account of that much, seeing how Roger had spent most of February trying to recover from illness and had only been cleared to play there a few days before the tournament started. But things are different now ... there's a New Kid on the Block and I'd like to dance on the table because at last we Brits have a world class tennis player with the killer instinct, but can't because he beat my "heart's favourite" :bigcry:

#253 ·
I wasn't able to watch the match but the outcome of it don't come as a surprise after how their best of 3 matches have went so far, especially the last ones. It's disappointing that Roger couldn't use his BP's in the 2nd set, you can't miss such opportunities against the topplayers.

Murray has an excellent run right now and with every victory against Roger he will get more selfconfident. It has to be seen whether they will be in the same draw for the AO and how a best of 5 match between them would go on this year.

#256 ·
you are lucky you didnt watch it :eek::angel:

#259 ·
I'm disappointed in the way Roger lost this match, not that he lost it. I expected him to lose. But he's got to keep his cool and stick to his game better than he did here. Gone are the days he was the most consistently aggressive player around. The slow hardcourts now favor Nadal/Murray/Djokovic because they have better consistency than him. I hope Roger can find ways to win more cheap points or he's going to have some tough losses. The first half of the season is going to be rough. He'll probably do better against the rest of the field and worse against top 4. All that said, I've still got a lot of confidence in his ability to bring it during the Slams. It will take an exceptional performance to beat him in a best of 5.

Also, glad to hear he was pissed after. He will play better because of it.

#262 ·
Roger :sad: :sad:

#263 ·
I dreaded coming here. And this is one of the reasons I wasn't doing cartwheels when Monfils took out Nadal....especially since Roddick took out Monfils today. :eek:

The thing about this match that just frustrates the heck out of me is I don't think it was a situation where Murray was playing crappy and all of a sudden started playing better. I think they were roughly the same level in the 1st set. And then Roger was the 1st one to have break points in the 2nd set. Obviously Murray is top notch and isn't going to fade away like some lower ranked players would. But I just felt like the 2nd and 3rd set were more about Roger and his mental state than Murray upping his level and forcing errors out of Roger.

I hope Roger can get out of this mental funk by the time AO starts. I'd say it's 99.9% assured that he'll have Murray on his side of the draw. :eek:

#265 ·
What the heck ... it's only a tennis match. I've just cried buckets at some sad thing I've watched on TV that happened to be a true story.

This is nice from Roger:

And the Swiss star did not rule out Murray taking the number one ranking in the foreseeable future.

"If he carries on the way he is he will have a shot," said Federer. "Things change very quickly.

"But I hope if he were to become number one he would win a Slam - not like the women's side. No disrespect to Jelena Jankovic but it took Rafa five Grand Slams to become number one."

Don't much care for his snide remark at the women's game ... however true it might be. He needn't have said it.

#266 ·
On Roger's website a couple of the more "expert" posters (i.e., not tards but knowledgable tennis fans) say they've noticed all week that Roger didn't look right. Didn't look happy, was grumpy, etc. Not saying it to make an excuse for his loss, but trying to explain it away. Suggesting something is up. Of course who knows what that 'something' is. My fear is it won't be sorted before AO. I wonder if he'll still play Kooyong?

#270 ·
horrible how these back injuries happen to these 2 guys when they play each other

Muzza could end have blown this event and the TMC now coz of the effort he needs to beat Fed

#272 ·
duck will become the Arab King holding the titles in Dubai and Doha

least he'll be the king of somewhere - just for Tangy lurker :kiss:

#273 · (Edited)
Fed and Murray are in my opinion the top two players and when they face off I want Fed to win but he just doesn't seem to have the confidence anymore. Murray has the ability and confidence to be great while Fed is losing his confidence. 2008 really took its toll of Fed. He should meet up with Agassi's coach who maybe with some luck will revive his confidence and get him to stay in the top 10 in his thirties.

I will be very angry with Murray if he loses to Roddick tomorrow. He must not lose to anyone else but Federer because everyone else is unworthy.

Stupid AO better not put Murray in Federer's half of the draw. And Nadal better not fluke his way to the semis again.

#274 ·
Fed and Murray are in my opinion the top two players and when they face off I want Fed to win but he just doesn't seem to have the confidence anymore. Murray has the ability and confidence to be great while Fed is losing his confidence. 2008 really took its toll of Fed. He should meet up with Agassi's coach who maybe with some luck will revive his confidence and get him to stay in the top 10 in his thirties.

I will be very angry with Murray if he loses to Roddick tomorrow. He must not lose to anyone else but Federer because everyone else is unworthy.
:spit:

btw roger did shake the ump hands :rolleyes: (according to somoene that was at the match ;))

#279 ·
It was sad to see Roger give up in the 2nd and 3rd set. It really annoyed me that he stopped trying. Andy did not play any better than the 1st set; Roger's play was however shocking.

I just hope his attitude is better going into the AO.

#283 ·
He really needs to find his serve or maybe like already suggested, he's just looking out for his back and saving it for AO. But there wasn't much bite on the first serve and he did have more DF than usual. In the first set, his groundstrokes got him out of trouble and not his serve..
I wish he would stick to the gameplan after one set.. I think he approached the net 20+ times in the first but only 5-6 times in the second and third.. Granted, those sets were shorter :tape: but after missing the 0-40 opportunity on Murray's serve, he just seemed to kind of lose the plot..

#285 ·
This quote from Roger (I think before Doha started):

The preparations were good. I am very confident. Also, the back was able to take it. I wonder how it will look in the following weeks, because now another kind of strain comes, although it is less problematic, but with repetitious movements, could also contain some risks.
Not sure what he means by "another kind of strain". Unless he's saying his back held up in practice, but he's not sure what it will be like once he starts playing matches? :confused:

#289 ·
:awww: It's better than dwelling too much on it dear. :hug: :wavey:

Lets stay possitive people :) Roger looked in decent shape all week bar the last 2 sets against Murray.

- He did win that first set. With that level (which wasn't his best), he could well of won the match.
- He did go into a major slump after missing those 3BPs. He'll learn from this!
- His serve wasn't that good all week. It can only get better, surely?

Maybe I'm being too optimisitic here... but Nadal still looks vunrable, Djoko looked terrible this week. Murray is the main competition and I'm still not sure if he's ready to win a major. It's an open slam, but Roger is in with the mix...
Murray is definitely on his head, he is Fed's new Nalbandian. :( Hopefully he'l regroup for the AO he still has semifinal points to defend.

Hello all. :bigwave:

#288 ·
Lets stay possitive people :) Roger looked in decent shape all week bar the last 2 sets against Murray.

- He did win that first set. With that level (which wasn't his best), he could well of won the match.
- He did go into a major slump after missing those 3BPs. He'll learn from this!
- His serve wasn't that good all week. It can only get better, surely?

Maybe I'm being too optimisitic here... but Nadal still looks vunrable, Djoko looked terrible this week. Murray is the main competition and I'm still not sure if he's ready to win a major. It's an open slam, but Roger is in with the mix...

Reactions: Eden
#293 ·
Murray's Tennis is in good shape, no doubt about it. Still, I am confident Roger will find another gear in Melbourne. After all those years of winning the most important titles, who wouldn't have motivation issues during these little tournaments? Roger is 114-2 at Slam level since Wimbledon '04 (not counting the losses to Nadal), and 135-4 since he won his first Wimbledon title in '03 (again, not counting the losses to Nadal) - these are incredible numbers!

#298 ·
very happy

as i said, the rest of the tour is in deep shit this year

Roger is actually playing well - because he is the only one who is pushing Muzza close thesedays .. he should have no shame that he's losing to him

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.