Mens Tennis Forums banner

Blake pulls out of U.S. Open

1K views 36 replies 29 participants last post by  smucav 
#1 ·
Blake pulls out of U.S. Open

August 26, 2004
NEW YORK -- James Blake pulled out of the U.S. Open on Thursday, citing illness, the third straight Grand Slam tournament he'll miss.

Blake, ranked 76th, was not specific about why he withdrew, tournament referee Brian Earley said.

The American missed the French Open and Wimbledon after hurting his neck and spine in May when he slammed into a net post while chasing a shot during practice in Rome after the Italian Open.

ADVERTISEMENT

Blake was drawn to play Spanish teen Rafael Nadal in the first round of the U.S. Open, which starts Monday.

Nadal instead will face someone from the qualifying tournament, and the winner of that match could face defending champion Andy Roddick in the second round.

Blake lost his opening match at the hard-court tuneup in Washington last week to Adrian Garcia of Chile.

Updated on Thursday, Aug

See less See more
#2 ·
James Blake pulls out of the US Open

Rafael will now play a qualifier or lucky loser.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5833230/

The Associated Press
Updated: 5:29 p.m. ET Aug. 26, 2004

NEW YORK - James Blake pulled out of the U.S. Open on Thursday, citing illness, the third straight Grand Slam tournament he?ll miss.

advertisement

Blake, ranked 76th, was not specific about why he withdrew, tournament referee Brian Earley said.

The American missed the French Open and Wimbledon after hurting his neck and spine in May when he slammed into a net post while chasing a shot during practice in Rome after the Italian Open.

Blake was drawn to play Spanish teen Rafael Nadal in the first round of the U.S. Open, which starts Monday.

Nadal instead will face someone from the qualifying tournament, and the winner of that match could face defending champion Andy Roddick in the second round.

Blake lost his opening match at the hard-court tuneup in Washington last week to Adrian Garcia of Chile.

#14 ·
Re: James Blake pulls out of the US Open

I knew he was going to have to withdraw. He's lost a lot of fitness since that virus a month ago. Get well soon James!

#18 ·
His dad died on July 3rd after a year long battle with cancer.

#19 ·

I was wondering about that too. It would have allowed Muller to get direct entry into the draw. Perhaps he was waiting for someone to come to New York, or wherever he is right now, to play a competitive practice match with him so that he could measure his fitness level. Or maybe it was just wishful thinking that he would be able to play. I'm wondering if one or two more players might withdraw before Sunday.

#20 ·
i love paradorn said:
Azza, if you're going to be happy about someone pulling out, then don't even show it.
nothing new to me, Azza is doing that :eek:
also the signature with "please lose 1st round every time" including lots of player names was quite low

:rolleyes: :shrug:

#22 ·
i saw his Shriner ad this morning and was thinking that it was so nice to see him. and now this. wishing James all the best.

#24 ·

Awe, :sad: I really really really was looking forward to seeing James' matches at the USO. I am so bummed out right now because I thought maybe things would turn around for him starting at this tournament. Get well soon, James and when you come back, GO GET THEM!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.