Mens Tennis Forums banner

The "Speechless, and not in a good way" grass thread

17K views 230 replies 22 participants last post by  partygirl 
#1 ·
There ;)

#181 ·
Re: The "You'll be even more popular in England if you win Wimbledon" grass thread

It should have been three but I'm glad he's through. Kohlschreiber is such a GOAT killer but Andy stayed tough.

Now make the QF's!

#182 ·
Re: The "You'll be even more popular in England if you win Wimbledon" grass thread

:eek: I saw John in Andy's box :D

#184 ·

His parents seem to be the hands-off type, the opposite of "stage parents" if you will. When they com see him (sometimes in cincinnati, Miami, etc), they don't usually sit in his box. It's just how they are and that's why Andy is the way he is too

#185 ·

i know we wanna go one match at a time, but i'm nervously eyeing that djokovic/hewitt match. i'll feel better if it's the former, but i'm not too sure when it comes to hewitt.

#188 ·

To be fair, yeah. Andy's match should not be interesting on paper, especially since Lu had a 5-set doubles match while Andy had his feet up and was apparently having problems with his neck and/or shoulder. I'll be pretty surprised if Andy has a very dramatic match. the others are all much better on paper.

#190 ·
#191 ·

Q. Who do you think would win a WAG‑off between the tennis WAGS and the soccer wags?

ANDY RODDICK: That just sounds dirty. You just said 'WAG‑off.' I'm not going to answer that

#193 ·

No jinxing allowed. :scared:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/bruce_jenkins/06/25/roddick.murray/#

Andy vs. Andy: Roddick and Murray will face off in Wimbledon final

The occasion cries out for an encore. Who wouldn't want to see Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal on Centre Court in the Wimbledon final, a reprise of the greatest match ever played?

I'd like to see it as much as anyone, but it won't come down that way. Here are five reasons why Andy Roddick will be facing Andy Murray a week from Sunday:

1. Roddick has become a man. He chides the press for the ever-changing portrayal of his reputation -- upstart, hero, punk, smart-aleck, baseline robot, all-court guy, class act, he's heard it all over the years -- but there are elements of truth to that progression. He's not the same person, or the same player, who won the U.S. Open (his only major title) seven years ago.

Roddick measures his public comments now, instead of just assuming he's the smartest guy in the room. He has worked tirelessly on his game, developing variety, decent volleys and a backhand with verve and authority. Three years ago, Pete Sampras wondered if Roddick was too stubborn to change what had become a monotonous, very beatable style. The response came forth in last year's Wimbledon final, when Roddick took Federer to 16-14 in the fifth, and it was the aftermath of that crushing loss that said the most about Roddick. He realized the implications, that people appreciated the hell out of his effort, and he never stopped grinding. Right now, he looks as sharp and composed as anyone in the tournament.

"It was a privilege to play in that match, I'm very proud of it," Roddick said upon his return to the All England Club. "I'm not going to act like it's a burden now."

2. Murray's frame of mind. Quite the opposite of Roddick, Murray never quite reveals what he's thinking. This is a guy who mixed "droll" with "laconic" in his teenage years and came up with a distinct Scottish blend. Too often, Murray's intense introspection costs him dearly on the court, including a bunch of ridiculous losses this year, but he's a different man just now. Utter confidence has burst forth in his Wimbledon performances, and a sense of ease. The slightest annoyance might torment him in Dubai or Miami, but he doesn't at all mind carrying the flag of British tennis by himself. (Literally; he was the last man or woman standing after just one round, the U.K.'s worst performance in Wimbledon's 133-year history.)

3. Roddick -- at least until he plays Murray -- will be the crowd favorite in every match he plays. He earned the Centre Court patrons' respect in that Federer titanic; they were chanting his name as he awaited the ceremony. They appreciate toughness, a hard-line competitor who never gives up, and that's Roddick all the way.

"Whether it's right or wrong, maybe they appreciate the body of work I've put together at this tournament," he said this week. "You never feel like you're entitled to anything here. They can choose whether to support you or not. The fact that they were vocal about it, and have been since I came back, it's a nice thing."

4. Pomp, with a side of circumstance. Like clockwork, Queen Elizabeth II shows up at Wimbledon every 33 years. She was there for Virginia Wade's epic triumph in 1977, and sure enough, she was on hand Wednesday to watch Murray -- playing his best tennis since he reached the Australian Open final -- dispatch Jarkko Nieminen in straight sets.

The Queen didn't seem terribly engaged by the tennis, to be truthful, but it was a significant episode for Murray, who showed he understood the protocol of bowing and even unleashed a bit of humor. "You never know, I might get nervous beforehand and screw it up," he said the day before. And when asked about the desultory state of British tennis, he didn't offer the expected words of encouragement. Instead: "It's not great, is it?"

5. The big guns look vulnerable. Federer had back-to-back struggles against Alejandro Falla and a qualifier named Ilija Bozoljac, who took him to 7-6 in the fourth. Nadal lost two sets to 151st-ranked Dutchman Robin Haase. Strictly on the form we've seen to date, Roddick and Murray are outplaying the kings. They have earned their passage to Sunday. A lot of cool things have happened at Wimbledon, and that would be a very cool final.

(For those who checked SI.com's predictions before the tournament, that's right, I picked Federer to win and Roddick as the most likely "flameout" on the men's side. Things change, is all I can say. I'll look especially bad when the final turns out to be Soderling-Hewitt.)

#196 ·
I don't even know what to say. Worst loss since, well, I can't even remember. At least when he lost to Tipsy he wasn't 100% fit and should probablyn ot even have played the tournament. This time no excuses. just bad. At least he didn't ruin my birthday too. Going to probably drop out of the top 10 and probably have a terrible rest of the year. Andy will never win wimbledon, he wants it too badly or something. his 5-set record is truly horrendous for a player of his caliber.

#197 ·
I'm looking for any consolation there is to hold onto. Well, maybe he didn't have a chance to win it anyway, not like that and I mean surely he wouldn't have drastically improve in just two days.
I never cry because of sports because I always tell myself not to, but this is certainly one of the times I kind of want to.

#199 ·
I think it's retirement time now, he'll have some injury now and will barely win a a match until the end of the year, and after that I just can't see where he can get some even more motivation.
Might as well close this forum or something.
I'll always always remember Andy the player only for the good times, and the day he retires I'll really stop watching tennis because anyway like 90% of the tennis matches I watch are his.

#201 ·
Well, kind a long time not to coment here. But I just want to coment here right now.

What happen to his motivation today?
I might be wrong but I can't see his motivation today.
He was not happy because he had to play on Court 2?
Another stomachache?
Fought with Brooklyn last night?
lots of thoughts in my mind but don't know.

Hope his dream to win Wimbledon comes true near in the future.

#202 ·
Passive, passive, passive! I just do not understand why he plays these matches the same way or why we expects opponents to fold.

It is just disappointing after watching what Andy can do (such as against Nadal in Miami or Andy Murray last year).

Oh well! It's vacation time so I wont have time to watch many more matches anyway.

#205 ·
Happy early birthday, Deb!

This just sucks and it sucks because he lost because he played like crap and he knows it. Lu definitely came up with the shots when he needed to, but there's no reason for Andy to lose to this guy not here, not ever. The talks of retirement, I mean come on, he's 27 years old, in good shape and still in the top 10 unless he's absolutely insane will he retire. At the end of the day there are millions of people who would give limbs to have the career that Andy has had, talk to James, Mardy, Sam, John they'd all KILL for Andy's career and ya know what maybe just maybe he has a Wimbledon in him maybe he does, but maybe he doesn't. If he doesn't that's okay, will his career be incomplete? NO.

Here's to a strong summer hardcourt season.

Oh and by the way everyone might want to stay away from GM :rolleyes:

#208 ·
Andy will suck at summer hard court season as after any heart-breaking loss, so I am just looking forward to 2011. :rolleyes:

#210 ·
Very bad loss. I'm scared that this could be vary bad for his career - I so hope I'll be wrong, but I fear he will loose the motivation to compete in the highest level, to stay in top 10 and go for the big titles. I hope I'm wrong and he has a great summer hard-court season coming. He really needs to play big time for the rest of the year. He is out of top 10 in Monday, but he has almost no points to defend...It hard for me to be positive for the future after this. Especially when I have a knee surgery on Friday...

#211 ·
Why do people say Andy is out of the top 10 on Monday? It looks like from Judio's rankings threads that Andy will be somewhere between #8 and #10. He is currently #8. Tsonga can pass him if he beats Murray, and Berdych can pass him if he reaches the final.

I think Andy's real top 10-exit danger point comes only if he fails to defend his finals points in Washington or his semi-finals points in Canada. Plus, Del Potro has even more points which he is not able to defend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.