Mens Tennis Forums banner

Brydan Klein: Australia's Big Hope (changed to GB)

62K views 398 replies 58 participants last post by  Sombrerero loco 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
We all know how well Brydan has been doing over the past few months, so it's about time that we gave him his own thread. Keep working hard, playing well, and even more impressive results shall follow. Congrats and good luck Brydan :)

#10 ·
Re: Brydan Klein: Australia's Big Hope

Brydan Klein has done it, he won the Australian Open Juniors and will move into the top 10. Congrats Brydan that must have been a hell of an experience winning the final on Rod Laver Arena, lets hope he can do it again in the senior ranks.

#29 ·

Bump!

Since my last post, Brydan made the 3rd Round at Roland Garros, losing to Kellen Damico, the 10th seed, 7-6, 6-3. Now at Wimbledon, Klein avenged his loss to Damico with a 1-6, 6-3, 10-7 win in the Round of 16 to progress through to his first Wimbledon quarter final. Good luck!!

#33 ·

wow, this is what i call law enforcing big time... :eek:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22263461-5010361,00.html

Junior banned from US Open

Margie McDonald | August 18, 2007

FOR the second time in two months, Tennis Australia has enforced its tough-love policy, suspending promising junior Brydan Klein from the US Open for bad behaviour.

The world No.9 junior, Klein was sent home from a tournament in Britain last week after an on-court outburst.
He will not be allowed to play until he completes an education course on anger management.

The Perth 18-year-old, who was junior boys champion at the Australian Open last January, reached the round of 16 at the French Open and the quarter-finals at Wimbledon, was sent home from the qualifying tournament after losing his third-round match to Britain's Tim Hewitt 6-2 2-6 6-3.

It follows TA's decision to send home 14-year-old Bernard Tomic of Queensland after he lost in the second round of the junior boys singles at Roland Garros, therefore denying him the chance of playing at Wimbledon.

Tomic's punishment was for his apathetic display in matches and for not putting in the effort.

A full scholarship-holder with the Australian Institute of Sport's tennis program, Klein has been travelling with two AIS coaches and other Australian juniors on a European tour. A player with a strong attacking game, especially on hardcourt and grass, Klein is also known to have a volatile temper. It was the AIS coaches who handed out the punishment.

TA's director of player development, and tournament director at the Australian Open, Craig Tiley, made no apologies yesterday for having Klein suspended from competition.

"We hold a very high standard with on-court behaviour with our players and he did not meet that standard, when he was competing in England," Tiley said yesterday. "There is a standard of behaviour for all athletes to adhere to no matter who they are."

It is anticipated that it will be a four- to six-week suspension for Klein so he can work with a sports psychologist on how to achieve his goals in becoming a champion player. "The type of behaviour exhibited on the court that is contrary to becoming a great player needs to be stamped out as early as possible," Tiley said.

He did not detail the nature of Klein's bad behaviour.

But he agreed there was a big difference between natural exuberance and aggression, as opposed to bad sportsmanship. "Absolutely. There are codes of conduct administered by the tours (ATP and WTA) and the ITF and at the very minimum we expect our players to meet those, but we've raised the bar higher," Tiley said. "Very simply because it's part of becoming a great player." Regarding Tomic, Tiley said the youngster was back playing and with renewed enthusiasm.

"He's back and doing well. He's been hard at training," he said. "It was a different situation, but we were equally as hard on him and very swift, very immediate with our actions." Tomic was also required to undergo counselling and work with a sports psychologist before resuming tournament play. "I'm charged with developing these players and part of that development is setting such a high standard in playing performance and player behaviour," Tiley said.

#34 ·

wow, this is what i call law enforcing big time... :eek:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22263461-5010361,00.html

Junior banned from US Open

Margie McDonald | August 18, 2007

FOR the second time in two months, Tennis Australia has enforced its tough-love policy, suspending promising junior Brydan Klein from the US Open for bad behaviour.

The world No.9 junior, Klein was sent home from a tournament in Britain last week after an on-court outburst.
He will not be allowed to play until he completes an education course on anger management.

The Perth 18-year-old, who was junior boys champion at the Australian Open last January, reached the round of 16 at the French Open and the quarter-finals at Wimbledon, was sent home from the qualifying tournament after losing his third-round match to Britain's Tim Hewitt 6-2 2-6 6-3.

It follows TA's decision to send home 14-year-old Bernard Tomic of Queensland after he lost in the second round of the junior boys singles at Roland Garros, therefore denying him the chance of playing at Wimbledon.

Tomic's punishment was for his apathetic display in matches and for not putting in the effort.

A full scholarship-holder with the Australian Institute of Sport's tennis program, Klein has been travelling with two AIS coaches and other Australian juniors on a European tour. A player with a strong attacking game, especially on hardcourt and grass, Klein is also known to have a volatile temper. It was the AIS coaches who handed out the punishment.

TA's director of player development, and tournament director at the Australian Open, Craig Tiley, made no apologies yesterday for having Klein suspended from competition.

"We hold a very high standard with on-court behaviour with our players and he did not meet that standard, when he was competing in England," Tiley said yesterday. "There is a standard of behaviour for all athletes to adhere to no matter who they are."

It is anticipated that it will be a four- to six-week suspension for Klein so he can work with a sports psychologist on how to achieve his goals in becoming a champion player. "The type of behaviour exhibited on the court that is contrary to becoming a great player needs to be stamped out as early as possible," Tiley said.

He did not detail the nature of Klein's bad behaviour.

But he agreed there was a big difference between natural exuberance and aggression, as opposed to bad sportsmanship. "Absolutely. There are codes of conduct administered by the tours (ATP and WTA) and the ITF and at the very minimum we expect our players to meet those, but we've raised the bar higher," Tiley said. "Very simply because it's part of becoming a great player." Regarding Tomic, Tiley said the youngster was back playing and with renewed enthusiasm.

"He's back and doing well. He's been hard at training," he said. "It was a different situation, but we were equally as hard on him and very swift, very immediate with our actions." Tomic was also required to undergo counselling and work with a sports psychologist before resuming tournament play. "I'm charged with developing these players and part of that development is setting such a high standard in playing performance and player behaviour," Tiley said.
Well done Tennis Australia. I have had the misfortune to see Klein play and he is horrible on the court. He swears, calles the opponent horrible things. In an interview a few months back he said that he didn't understand why he was fined a code of conduct for saying p*ssy on the court. Seriously!! He must be the biggest ....

I think it is good that TA are hard on them. It is one thing having a temper, and another being plain disrespectful to your opponent and those around you, which Klein is!

#35 ·

Yup, that's a fair enough thing for TA to do, as long as it's done sensitively. If the player knows it's being done to help his game he's more likley to accept it. What we don't want is players getting pi**ed off with TA and going off on their own. Looks like Tomic has taken it well, but he has a few more years to play juniors...this would've been Klein's last as a junior. He hasn't made any real inroads on the senior front yet...I hope he does.

#36 ·

I hope this doesn't backfire on TA. I haven't really seen Klein play so i don't know how bad it is but we need playing to start climbing up the ranks so hopefully Klein takes it the right way otherwise TA had made another stuff up.

#37 ·

I'm really interested to know what it was that Klein did to inspire this ban.

When I saw him play in the U18 tournament he did seem to have a lack of respect for his opponent, and made some insulting comments to him. John Fitzgerald was watching near me and he was not impressed at all with Klein's ball abuse.

Not a bad move from TA if it will make him realise that what he does is wrong.

I'm a bit more confused about the Tomic decision, I dont know all the facts but how can they tell whether it was a lack of effort or just having a bad day? They should give him the benefit of doubt there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.