Mens Tennis Forums banner

Fabio Fognini - The Hope of Italy

179K views 904 replies 101 participants last post by  RU90 
#1 ·
This kid is just 17 and even though he may be far from the heights of Nadal, Monfils and Gasquet at such an age, Fognini is a real bright spot for Italian tennis.

Number 501 in the world you may think there is no big deal, but this year is his first main year and hes already won a futures event in SPain as well as being in the final of another in Italy. Now in the Olbia CHallenger event he is in the quarters beating Luzzi in round 2.

So With this result he will be in the top 500 for sure and will move up quite a few places. A few more succesful challengers and he should hopefully be recognised on the challneger tour!

#3 ·
So far this week he has reached the quarter finals of the Italy F9 event.

In round 1 he beat the number 1 seed from Poland Kubot... 6-3 6-2. Then in round 2 he beat an Argentina qualifier 6-3 6-1. So hes going well so far.

Reactions: tennis4eva
#6 ·
Fognini won the F9 event in Italy with a 3 sets victory over Mirnegg.

Now in the Rome challenger he beat Dlouhy in 3 sets 06 75 63 and now faces Vasselin of France. Hes playing well at the moment and his ranking must be rising.

#9 ·
Disappointing that since my last post, Fabio is only 246. However he has not plyed many tournaments. He will start to concentrate on the tour now I think and hopefully he can make some success towards the end of this year.

#11 ·
I have only seen one match... but his style of play in it was to hit the ball 10 feet long. He was completely spanked by Tim Smyczek.

I did take some pics of him without a shirt that are pretty nice, though. ;)

Attachments

#12 ·
He looks alot more muscley now. I think it will be a matter of time before he hits form again. He was out of tennis for a few months in the summer and didnt play so much so he is just regaining his abilities I hope. It has been a disappoiting year really for him, so next year I hope he pushes for top 100 at least. Right now 235.

#17 ·
very bad results lately and the clay season is almost over

will he get a WC for Palermo?

#19 ·
Yes Hugo is a good player, but stil a bad lost. Fognini doesnt really deserve a WC for palermoon such form. id rather see Vagnozzi get it who is playing well at least, but of course it would be experience for Fabio on the main tour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.