Mens Tennis Forums banner

Del Potro's News and Articles

145K views 1K replies 150 participants last post by  JMdelpotro6 
#1 · (Edited)
This is JMDP's News and Articles Thread!!!

The kid is already making waves in the ATP Tour and the press has noticed him.

This is the place to post all news, interviews and articles related to Juan Martín.

:wavey:

#553 ·
Sky showed me this note than she found in clarin and here is the translation.. http://www.clarin.com/diario/2009/08/28/deportes/d-01987481.htm

PARALLEL DREAMS
Messi - Del Potro: Lives of champions
Leo has 22 years, John Martin turns 21. They are champions of the illusions of Argentine sports.
BY Por: Adrián Maladesky - Hernán Castillo y Marcelo Maller.

There are coincidences: two kids from a town, a little over twenty years of age and only one year difference between them, strong family presence, talent, incalculable projection ... The Differences collide: the meter sixty-nine of one against the six foot and eight, Adidas versus Nike, the left-handed and right, the debut on the sky blue and white (ghostly Messi, on his expulsion at 47 seconds; implacable Del Potro on his resounding victory in 206 minutes of play). The numbers: the $ 14 million per season of the new contract, the highest-paid player in the squad, his buyout clause of 426 million as a shield against rival pirates, or $ 3658,310 (1.731,55 cattle this season) of the Tandilian tower on official earnings. They get scared of names that jostle to reach the top: Messi vies for first place on the planet with the Portuguese Football Cristiano Ronaldo (he won a round yesterday to devote Player of the last Champions League, see page 52) and Kaka, Del Potro accelerates behind American Andy Roddick and two (six and five of the ATP ranking) breathing hard behind the Serbian Novak Djokovic, the Spanish Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray and Roger Federer.

There are them Messi and Del Potro or Del Potro and Messi living the great adventure of filming his own movie in real time, since Leo played his first game at age three making crazy to kids than have six years old at the club Grandoli in Rosario Rosario and since Juan Martin grabbed the racket for the first time in Independent Tandil, with seven years old. They are the first images with a ball for each one, as inseparable friend. The little one with the bigger ball and bigger with the smaller ball .

And then a story to each other and other crossings. After nine years, the little Messi was smaller than kids his age: he was just 27 inches off the meter. In Tandil, there was a guy who was already eight years by the feet in height. Shortly after Messi's parents discovered the hormonal problem that prevented her son grow up and when Leo turned 13 on Barcelona and was part of his life. Beginning a new century and Juan Martin with 12 years old was the Argentine representative at the World Cup in South Africa "Nike Junior Tour, where he lost the final. It's funny, the way Del Potro, despite being a year younger, seemed (and was) more clear. But then came the dizziness, the explosion, the two sides. Suddenly the data are mixed, the goals and dribbles are confused with serves and smashes, the lines are not enough and must be synthesized. Come, then, a pivotal year: 2004. Officially debuts in Barcelona Messi and Del Potro wins the Orange Bowl. The following year still climbing. Leo's Spanish league champion with his club and Under-20 World Cup with Argentina youth team, Juan Martín is professional. Messi won the Golden Boy award given by the Italian magazine Tuttosport the best young player in Europe and Del Potro becomes the youngest player to finish the year among the top 200 world ranking.

There is more, of course. Messi's first World Cup (Germany), the constant progress of Del Potro ... and in 2008 the fire is uncontrollable. Messi wears the number ten 10 in Barcelona wins the gold medal with the selection and is right behind Cristiano Ronaldo insistently. While Messi hangs the medal, Del Potro nailed four tournaments in a row (Stuttgart, Kitzbuhel, Los Angeles and Washington), binds 19 games unbeaten, moved into the top ten and out passage to the Shanghai Masters. The 2009, especially mid-year is perfect for Messi: Wins League, Champions League and Copa del Rey. And the breaks, always. Del Potro adds two titles (Auckland and Washington), wins twice against Nadal and shows his Davis Cup race of player against the Czech Republic, reached the semi at Roland Garros, it goes up for a while to put five in the ranking.

But there's more because they also have in common a magnet for big brands. Just since 2005 Wilson took an unprecedented decision in respect of a junior (he sent two experts to Argentina to analyze why Juan Martin Del Potro was not the ideal weight for your racquet), Adidas did something similar with Lionel Messi, who today released in the final of the European Super Cup against Shakhtar Donetsk, UEFA Cup winners, the line F50 Messi. The tower from Tandil has among its sponsors Wilson, Nike, Sony Ericsson and Gatorade. Adidas Messi is a man, but also the choice of other brands. In the 2006 World Cup, for example, a Leo on the verge of 19 years was the face of Pepsi, McDonald's, Lays, Garbarino, YPF and Storkman.

And still missing, numbers and titles, because Messi turned 22 on June 24 and Del Potro just will celebrate the 21 on September 23.

The dream in small package or as an extra large, to consumer taste. Much of the renewable always aspiration of Argentine sports greatness is deposited in his left Messi and evil in the wild right from Del Potro. Booty and a racket. And much more. In what was coming, it means the Argentina-Brazil for the qualifiers, first official game that Messi will play in Rosario, the U.S. Open for Del Potro, in what comes from here to year end, more Qualifiers and World Clubs in UAE in December to Leo, surely a new Masters in London in November to Juan Martin. More, much more, though their stories may no longer run as parallel dreams.

#556 ·
:wavey: New interview:

"Me gusta que la gente confíe en mí"
Del Potro quiere cerrar de la mejor manera la temporada y admite que genera mayores expectativas que antes; igual, no pierde la mesura
Por José Luis Domínguez
Enviado especial 30 de Agosto de 2009 - 00:21

NUEVA YORK.- Como suele suceder en las horas previas de un torneo tan grande, el Players Lounge, el salón en el que se reúnen los tenistas, desborda de gente. Están los jugadores que ya se entrenaron, los que van a practicar, los que terminaron su rutina y pasan su tiempo libre allí, todos con sus respectivos cuerpos técnicos. Allí, después de una práctica vespertina, es donde Juan Martín del Potro conversa con LA NACION. Aparece con un modelo de campera que estrenará aquí, se acomoda en un sillón y cuenta sus sensaciones antes de su debut en el US Open frente a un amigo, Juan Mónaco.

-Este es tu Grand Slam preferido. ¿Con qué expectativas llegás?

-Estoy bien. Me fue bien en los torneos previos, en Washington y en Montreal, con partidos largos y ante rivales muy buenos, y tuve resultados positivos. También sufrí el calor, pero la baja de Cincinnati vino bien para recuperarme. Sólo faltan ajustar algunos detalles, pero estoy listo para jugar. Este es el último Grand Slam del año y quiero andar bien.

-Por lo que contás, te sentís con confianza. ¿Cómo estás en la parte física?

-Tuve muchos partidos en dos semanas y tampoco me tocaron partidos fáciles ni cortos, muchos los tuve que luchar hasta el final, por eso no jugué en Cincinnati. Elegí descansar un poco y entrenarme para llegar bien, porque en torneos largos como éste, con partidos de cinco sets, hay que ahorrar energía lo más que se pueda.

-Tenés más experiencia respecto del año pasado. ¿Se siente la diferencia?

-En torneos como este ya se sabe quiénes son los favoritos y quiénes pueden dar la sorpresa? Yo estoy para seguir aprendiendo, vivir el momento y estar atento a mi oportunidad de tener un buen resultado. Y si estoy bien preparado, sé que voy a tener más chances de lograrlo. Si no, veré qué hice bien y qué hice mal, y a seguir para adelante y seguir trabajando. Hasta ahora tuve un muy buen año y quiero terminarlo de la misma manera.

-Pero ahora hay más expectativas puestas en vos.

-Y? la gente opina y me pone como favorito, pero creo que los que estamos acá sabemos que los grandes favoritos son los cuatro que están arriba, y también Roddick, que viene jugando bárbaro y es peligroso. Pero me gusta que la gente confíe en mí. Puede ser una presión porque hay que responder un poco a todo, pero estoy acá para hacer lo mío, hacer mi trabajo y llegar hasta donde me den el físico, el juego y la cabeza. Ahora el tenis está muy parejo y puede pasar cualquier cosa.

-A la hora de pensar en etapas decisivas, como una semifinal, ¿vos te exigís llegar ahí?

-No, no. En estos torneos largos hay que pensar en ir partido a partido, porque dentro de cada match hay situaciones favorables, otras complicadas que son difíciles de manejar, pero ya en una segunda semana todos los rivales son peligrosos y ahí te podés plantear otros objetivos. Pero ahora tenemos las primeras ruedas, que también son importantes porque hay que agarrar ritmo, pero no hay que ir obligado a ganar.

-En este año, ¿en qué creés que mejoraste más?

-En todo, porque es fundamental para mantenerme entre los mejores y seguir ahí, pero me falta muchísimo y sé que puedo mejorar un ciento por ciento más en mi juego, la cabeza y el físico. Todavía soy chico, sé lo que tengo que mejorar.

-Como en 2008, te toca el primer partido contra un compatriota; aquella vez fue con Cañas, ahora con Mónaco.

-Sí, es algo feo enfrentar a un amigo, pero esto no depende de nosotros. Es un poco de mala suerte, pero en la cancha los dos vamos a querer jugar a muerte y ganar; después saldremos y estará todo bien, como siempre. A mí hace mucho que no me tocaba algo así, pero es algo que no se puede evitar. Hay que tratar de arrancar bien, sea quien sea el que está enfrente. Me toca vivir cosas muy lindas por tener buenos resultados y este es el torneo que más me gusta, pero quiero enfocarme en mi objetivo, que es seguir aprendiendo.

#557 ·
obrigada, maria:)

J. DEL POTRO/J. Melzer 7 6, 6 3, 6 3

Q. Can you just describe the way you feel? How you played today?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I feel a good sensation. I start lower, but then I finish playing hard, and much better with my serve. I feel the confidence in important moments. I think it's from my three matches since Washington I feel sometimes the confidence against players like Melzer or Monaco in the first round.
But I need to prove it a little bit for the next matches.

Q. You reached your first Grand Slam quarterfinal here last year, and since then you've reached quarterfinals or better in all but Wimbledon. Just talk a bit about the confidence level that you might have now when you go into Grand Slam play. Have you built your confidence up quite a bit?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yes. This is my favorite Grand Slam. I love to play here. I have a good respective for this tournament. I want to be quiet with my matches, with my game, and then we will see.
I start to play better on hardcourt this season. When you keep winning, maybe it's tough because your physical, your mentally can be bad. But now I'm in good shape.

Q. And in the hardcourt summer season, you have had great success. What do you attribute that to?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I like the surface, for sure. I beat Roddick, González, and they are very good players on this kind of surface. But if I want to be a good player in the future and to beat Murray, Federer, and Djokovic on this surface, I will try.

Q. Do you feel you have the game to do that now?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, it's very tough. Maybe you have the game, but I need the experience. I need time to be like them and to feel many, many times the semifinals in Grand Slam, the finals in Grand Slam, the crown, everything.

Q. You mentioned that you had a slow started today. Seemed like you missed a lot of first serves and the breakpoints that went by. Why was it such a bad start today?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I don't know. I start I don't have a good start, but then I start to feel better with my weapons on the baseline. Then I improve my serve during the second set and the third set.
I finish playing much better than the first round, and is good for the future.

Q. Jurgen has a lot of different shots. How difficult is it to play someone like him? Kind of unpredictable?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, you never know what could happen with the ball. You always be prepared to go to the net or to go back, and it's very tough.
But if you play very good in important moments, you can win like today.

Q. The important moment it seemed like today was it in the second set, would you say, when you were down Love 40?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, in the tiebreak I was 3 1 down. I hit good shots. That's was the key for the match.

Q. Why is this your favorite Grand Slam? Why do you like this?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Why? Well, because I like the surface. I like the city. I like everything here, the crowd, the stadium not too big. I always dream with this moment. It's my favorite.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

#558 ·
Photo of Juan Martin Del Potro
Juan Martin Del Potro
Sunday, September 6, 2009

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. The way that guy was on the court, was that distracting at all?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, of course. Is too difficult play against Koellerer, because you never know what he gonna do after the point.

But I was so focus with my game, I always try to do my play. Sometimes I was nervous and I feel the pression, but after I did a good job.

Q. Djokovic said a few weeks ago that with all these great players coming around maybe he came around at the wrong era. Do you feel that way?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, my feeling is I have very good players from me to the No. 1. For sure, Roger, Rafa, Murray, they are two or three step more than me. I working hard every day hard to be like them.

But if I play for many years in this level, then they gonna retire and I gonna be much better, so...

#559 ·
"Ele pode se divertir agora. O seu jeito de molestar os rivais é um pouco excessivo, pode dar seu show sem recorrer a isso", disparou o número 6 do mundo"
http://www2.uol.com.br/tenisbrasil/profissional/us_open/ult678u1981.htm

:lol: delpo said koellerer can have fun now :devil: the way he reacts is a little excessive, he can do a show without all those things.

#560 ·
Juan Martin Del Potro
Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Q. Can you just talk about how you felt about your game today and what went right for you?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, I feel happy to beat Juan Carlos. He's a great player. He has a good summer this year. Always, every match is tough since fourth round or third round.
I did a good job there, and I'm very happy to be in the quarters.

Q. Overall during the tournament, what has been going right for you stroke wise, mentally?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I don't know, just tried to do my best. I have a great match to come against Cilic. We know a lot. We play since juniors. We play many times.
But if I be good with my weapons, with my game, I can beat him. So I will try.

Q. You have had tremendous results this summer in the hardcourt season. Have you ever come into a Grand Slam feeling as good about the way you're playing as you've had coming into this tournament?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, of course. I have the confidence in the best moment, you know. I beat many good players in Washington and Montreal, and now I beat good players in this surface.
I have everything to do a good tournament. I am doing well, but I would like to be in the semis or in my first final.

Q. Last year you came into this tournament with a lot of momentum. You had won a lot of tournaments, a lot of confidence. This year, you know, you have a whole year of consistently good results, so is it a different kind of confidence that you bring into the tournament at this stage?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, I think so, because now I play all my matches in the Armstrong Stadium, and the people come to see my match. You feel the pressure different, but it's lovely. I enjoyed everything here. One more time, I have everything to improve my game and improve my results, so I will try to do it.

Q. Juan Carlos talked about you hadn't played him in maybe three years. He said he really felt a difference in your serving. Do you feel the same, that that's really the part of your game that's improved?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, an important part of my game. I did 22 aces in important moments before. That's the key, because Juan Carlos is a good returner.
He doesn't play as much as me, but I did a good match and I am in the quarters.

Q. Do you expect now at this point to make quarterfinals? And if so, is making quarterfinals no longer enough for you?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, being in quarters, it's important, for sure. But it's a big difference past the quarters, you know, to semis and through the finals. I was so close in French Open to win the final and to beat Roger, but I did semis.
Here I have another chance to be better, and I will try to go to the semis. If I lose, I anyway did a good tournament.

Q. Cilic, he upset Murray today. Your thoughts on playing him?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: He has the potential. He's a very good player, because, has a very good future. For sure if he beat Murray he's confident. It will be very tough for me.

Q. In your first round match you had seven aces and today 22, so what have you changed, if anything, over the last three rounds? What have you discovered about that serve?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I improve a little bit my serve. I need to be good with that weapon. You know, when you play fourth round, quarterfinals, you should play everything good, you know.
Today my serve works excellent. I feel happy for that.

Q. And fast, too. I know you've been trying to get your speed up, but 137 was your highest.
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I don't know. Maybe, yeah. But Roddick serve much harder.

Q. How smart do you think you were to take the week off after Montreal and not to play in Cincinnati? How much did that help you?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: A lot. My coach has a good decision to pull out from Cincinnati, and I've been working, been training with my physic. I'm here in good shape, so that was a very good decision for me, for us.

Q. How surprised are you that it's Cilic and not Murray?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, Cilic have everything to do a good player. He's 15 or 16 in the world. He's very completed.
But Murray is No. 2. He winning everywhere. So maybe everybody surprised, but Cilic haves his weapons very good.

Q. You talked about how great it would be to get to the semis and how great it would be to get to the final. You didn't use the word how great it would be to win. What was your mindset going into this tournament with respect to am I finally going to win a Grand Slam this time?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I don't think about this. I just think about quarters, and Cilic now. But for sure my dream is to win a Grand Slam, and this Grand Slam especially.
But, you know, maybe tonight or tomorrow night I will wake up thinking in Cilic. I can't explain you how can I feel in the final, because I need to win two more matches.

Q. Your footwork is so smooth out there. Do you think back to your soccer playing days? Does that help you on the tennis court?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, I do.

Q. How so?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I watch we watch Argentina and Brazil two days ago, and tomorrow we will watch Argentina and Paraguay, and I hope they win.

Q. Where do you watch it?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Where?

Q. Where.
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: In the restaurant.

Q. In the restaurant at the hotel?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yep.

Q. Do you find any similarities between New York and Tandil?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Nothing.

Q. Nothing?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Nothing. The buildings, I think.

Q. Nothing at all?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: The people are lovely. Same city.

#562 ·
Juan Martin Del Potro
Thursday, September 10, 2009

An interview with:

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO

Q. I'm wondering if after the soccer result from last night, were you more fired up to make people happy in Argentina?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Actually, I don't think about that. When I was on the court, I tried to do my best, tried to do my thing. And of course, fighting until the last game, last point.

If you do that, you have many chance to win many matches. That's what I do now.

Q. Were you watching the game last night in the hotel?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah. I not talk about that.

Q. How about tennis?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: If you want.

Q. Dropping the first set, you really came back and by and large dominated today. Do you feel really good about the way you were able to turn things around and take control of the match?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Was a good comeback, you know, the crowd cheering for me at 1‑3 in the second. I start to play better after that moment. Of course, I enjoy the match and I did good things.

Of course, I need to improve for the semis a lot, but I'm happy with my match and with the result.

Q. What do you need to improve do you think most? It's obviously going to be a tough match either way?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, of course. I cannot start the match like today. I was thinking other things, and the weather was bad. But it is for both player, you know.

I need to be focus in the beginning of the match until the last point and do my game, and that's it.

Q. Why do you think you've had such a good summer? I think you're 15‑1 since Wimbledon. What is it? Did something change?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I like to play here in U.S., and I like hardcourts. I like this tournament. I like everything. So I work hard for this part of the year, you know. We are fighting for the Masters, so I am in good shape now.

Q. What do you like about this tournament? What is it that you like about it?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Everything. The stadium, the crowds, the people, the city. Everything. It's so lovely.

Q. After losing the first set and then the first two points on the second set, when you're down, do you think, I'm going to lose the match after losing the first set and then the first two points?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: No, no, because first set was just a break, one good point for him in the third game of the match. He did a very good passing.

Then I always thinking of my chance, you know. If you fight until the final, of course you will have opportunities to do breaks or to do a better game, so...

Q. What does it mean for you? You talked about how much you love this tournament. What does it mean for you to be able to play in the final weekend? You're 20 years old, and here you are in the semifinals of the US Open. What does that mean to you?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: It's like a dream, you know. My dream is win this tournament. I'm so close to do it, but now I am focusing the semis. I have both players so tough for me, and they will ‑‑ they want to win, like me, you know.

Now I'm enjoying this match, and then we will see what can I do in the next one.

Q. Is this the Grand Slam you'd like to win the most?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, of course.

Q. Can you explain why?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I don't know. It's my favorite surface, the biggest stadium than other ones. Many Argentinians come here to see the match, so I think, for me, it's the best one.

Q. I know you played some soccer, but did you ever consider basketball, soccer? Was it always tennis?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: When I was young I played soccer better than tennis. I don't know what I am doing here.

Q. You were better at soccer? What position did you play?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I don't know. My father say, You go to the tennis. And I'm here. I'm joking.

Q. Were you pretty good at soccer?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: So‑so. Now I cannot move my legs playing in the soccer.

Q. When you play tennis, you have so many strategy to use on the court to win. It's like a dancing Tango. Do you dance Tango, too?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: No, I don't. (laughter.)

I just play tennis.

Q. You had a great presence against Federer in Paris, and the moment wasn't too big for you. Would you like to see him again, Roger?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Of course not. (laughter.)

Because I was so sad after the semifinals. If I be in the final, maybe I have to play Roger or Novak, but I don't know. First I have to beat González or Rafa.

Q. Just that match alone, what did that tell you about yourself? It was a great showing against a great player on a big, big stage. Did it help you in your development, as well?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I learn many things. I was so close to beat him, and was my first semis. Now I have another opportunity to play another semis. I'm very, very focusing on my things, very relaxing.

I have everything to learn, you know. I want to be a good player in the future. I want to be like them, you know. I'm very happy I'm on my way.

Q. Do you feel that in order to be like them, to be at that level, you need to play them over and over, talk about how you learn from your losses, as well, when you face place players like Roger?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I remember in that match I have my chance in the fifth set, 3‑All serving, and I did two double faults. So you cannot do that against Roger in the semis in the five sets.

Now when I have a little lucky today because I lost my serve in the 5‑All, but I have a good defense. So that's point: You have to work hard to be sure the there's the difference with them.

Q. Can you tell us about the possible opponent for next round?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, they are playing now, but will be tough, both of them. Rafa is a great player. Fernando has experience. He made the final in Australian.

For me it will be the same, but I have to fight a lot.

Q. Does your game match up better against one or the other?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: No, no, both will be tough for me, for my game.

Q. What do you say about the New York fan who root for you every time play here?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I say thank you to come and watch my match. Of course I fight until the last point and it's my show, is my way. Thank you for coming.

#564 · (Edited)
Juan Martin Del Potro
Thursday, September 10, 2009Q. Were you watching the game last night in the hotel?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah. I not talk about that.
like any argie he is pissed off. don't worry delpo, argentina will qualify for world cup. :hug:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Brazil's Kaka Desperately Wants Argentina To Qualify For The World Cup
The former Milan playmaker says that without their South American cousins qualifying for next year's World Cup, it will not be the same...

Argentina are now in danger of not qualifying for next year's World Cup, and Brazil star Kaka says that the tournament will not be the same if the Selecao's fiercest rivals miss out.

Having been defeated 3-1 on the weekend, the team coached by Diego Maradona now face not qualifying for the sport's pinnacle since 1970.

Kaka said that his team did their part, and qualified for the tournament, but believes that Argentina deserve to be there.

"A World Cup without Argentina isn't good," the new Real Madrid signing said to ANSA.it.

"We did our part and qualified. Of course it is good that they lost, but it will make me happier if they were there, no jokes.

"We won, but in the World Cup, the best teams from all over the world need to be there."

Argentina current sit in fourth place with 22 points, five points away from Chile and Paraguay, and Colombia are behind them on 20 points. The top four automatically qualify for next year's event, with fifth place going into a two-legged qualification.
---------------------------------------------------------------
even kaka is cheering for argentina!
vamos hermanos! :bounce:

the question about tango, oh crap! just coz he's argie, he knows tango :eek:
and coz i'm brazilian, i dance samba :ras: hilarious :haha:

thanks, kai :worship:
very good interview :yeah:

#563 ·
the part about him not wanting to meant roger in the finals made me laugh alot...
i loved how completly honest he was! so cute:p most players would give the whole "yeah it would be amazing to play against roger i mean his one of the greatest..blah..blah..blah." type answer but juans just straight up "hell nah!":scared: nice i like his work:yeah:

#567 ·
lmao. when i asked a friend of mine from Argentina if he could tango (i assumed he did:lol:), first he looked horrified and then had the same reaction as Delpo.

And just because I can't stand Murray, [url="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6830166.ece#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=1871939" ]Andy Murray could learn from Juan Martin Del Potro[/url]

o artigo é muito bom, maria :yeah: mas o seu link está com um http:// a mais.
obrigada!

#569 ·
Photo of Juan Martin Del Potro
Juan Martin Del Potro
Sunday, September 13, 2009THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You've been saying throughout the tournament and again on court today in the interview after the match that this is your favorite Grand Slam. So for you, to be in a final of a Grand Slam at what you have made clear is your favorite, what does that mean to you?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: It's part of my dream, you know. I'm very close to do it, but this moment is so nice, and I always dreamed of this moment.

I'm very happy to beat Rafa in straight sets, play unbelievable match. Of course it's great for me and for my future being in finals.

Q. Rafa said that on a number of occasions you seemed to be playing with greater confidence than he's ever seen you play with before. Do you feel right now you're as confident a player as you've ever been?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yes, I think so. I played a great match. I was so focused with my serve, with every breakpoints, playing serve, you know, trying to put the ball into the court and trying to be aggressive.

I saw Rafa in the baseline, but too far away on the baseline. That's important for me to come to the net and to do a short point.

Q. When you were a kid, little boy, niño, when did you first find out about the US Open and that it was a great tournament? And did you pretend you would hit against a wall or something and pretend you were at the US Open?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I don't remember, but I think was I saw the stadium too big, and I say, This will be my favorite tournament.

Q. When you saw the stadium?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah.

Q. You used to have it over you, many straight matches. Now you beat him six straight sets the last three times you played him. What has changed from the time he had the best of you?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I improve a lot my game. And of course when you play against Rafa or Roger you should play ten points. And today was what I did. I serve very good in important moments. I was confidence with my forehand, and that's two part of my game are very important to be in good shape, you know.

Q. Today, or has that been recently?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, it's every time.

Q. Are you confident right now that you could just take care of biz tomorrow because of what you've done the last two weeks?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I hope so. I will try to do my best tomorrow, trying to enjoy my first final. And, of course, I would like to win my first Grand Slam.

Q. If you happen to play Roger tomorrow, you have not beaten him before. What has to change, if you do play him tomorrow, for you to beat him?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I have to play better than today. I never beat Djokovic also, so both will be tough (laughter.)

But I will try.

Q. Do you think confidence is that thing that maybe you didn't have in the past that maybe you have now, and that might be the difference‑maker?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yes, I'm confidence. When I was playing against Roger in the French Open I was so close. On that surface was much better for me.

And if I play against him tomorrow, the surface going to help too much him not too much me. But I have a good sensation with everything, and I hope the best for tomorrow.

Q. How much faster is your serve now than it was this time last year, your first serve?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: My first serve? Well, 100%, I think. I cannot improve a lot, but now I'm doing well.

Q. What was wrong with it before?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I don't know. (laughter.)

Maybe the technique or, I don't know. Maybe the sun. I don't know. (laughter.)

Q. As a person, do you consider yourself an emotional player, an emotional human being that tomorrow could somehow bring troubles, or are you very confident this will not happen for sure?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I hope to be quiet for tomorrow to enjoy the moment, but could be difficult for me, because I never play a Grand Slam final.

But I have the game to win tomorrow. I just want to be focused with my tennis and try to beat Roger or Novak.

Q. You've become kind of a big crowd favorite. How much do you think that may play in tomorrow?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, they help me a lot to be happy in the court, you know. I heard the crowd so exciting when I did a good point, and that's beautiful for me. :angel:

Q. Last year you had many problems before Paris. You had to stop tennis for a long time. Do you ever think now how maybe lucky you are that maybe you're fit, you're strong, you're doing so well? Are you thinking baseline the past when you had worries that you could not play for who knows how long?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I never think the past, you know. I just go my way and trying to improve every day my game. And of course I'm living much better this moment than two years ago, last maybe 12 months ago.

But I'm in good shape. I'm physically feeling good with my tennis, too, so that's important.

Q. Rafa has tremendous spin on the ball, slice, and it's going all over the place, and yet you handle it very well. Do you think you see the ball better than most people?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Maybe my green eyes :p. I don't know. It's very tough playing against Rafa or Roger.

But today I play unbelievable, and that's was the key.

#570 ·
#572 ·
there are no videos with this news article, but there are a few pics. since i couldnt understand the spanish, i put it through google translate, and parts of that are so funny that they cant be accurate. doesnt really matter, because it's such a great story: Juan Martin del Potro, 2009 U.S. Open Champion with 2,000 ranking points and $1.6 million

google translate of http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2009/09/14/tenis/01998849.html

"World Champion
Del Potro at Flushing Meadows.

He played great, with fiber and a lot of tennis, did not give up and never fell in five sets to Federer, the number one heated as ever.
And first won this tournament, who won last Vilas in 77.
And he got into the story, as if to celebrate as a World Cup.

Those tears wet the hard floor of Arthur Ashe, the giant who shook with the collapse of a giant, was thrilled with the effort of the boy and noticed a giant game of tennis, but also those tears wet the floor of Tandil. Back in the Independent club, where hundreds of Delpotritos jump and sing for her idol.
And wet ... Because all of Argentina Juan Martin Del Potro notched his name in the great history of Argentine tennis and sport. With all the honors and all condiments.

Delpo won 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-2 none other than world number one, Roger Federer, in an epic match.
Not only no one had taken him to five sets in a U.S. Open final but also one person on earth had beaten Roger in the final game of a Grand Slam (Rafa Nadal, three in GR, one in Wimbledon and one in Australia). And, thrown in, cut off his run of five straight title at the great Roger.

He did not lack anything to match Delp.
Had the heart to hold a party that began twisting, patience for not surrendering when they managed the breaks were going fast, mental strength to not collapse when he was the third set with a double fault ...
And then a tennis and a huge power to pierce Federer to pitch clean.
With the right inverted when found was a deadly weapon, and also with a deadly parallel.
And, of course, a mortal like to take throughout the tournament.

Delpo joined the illustrious list comprising Guillermo Vilas, who won this tournament in 1977, already 32 years ago, Gaston Gaudio with his Roland Garros 2004 and Gabriela Sabatini in 1990.
They alone have the privilege of having at least one Grand Slam Cup in the trophy room of their homes. Ahora,
Now, too, will one of those in Tandil"

#573 ·
Juan Martin Del Potro
Monday, September 14, 2009

THE MODERATOR: We'll begin with questions in English for your 2009 US Open men's singles champion.

Q. How did you do what you did out there and how does it feel?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: It's difficult to explain this moment. You know, since young I dream with this and take trophy with me. You know, I did my dream, and it's unbelievable moment. It's amazing match, amazing people. Everything is perfect.

I don't know, I can't believe.

Q. First of all, congratulations. You've been speaking all week and quite clear that this is your favorite tournament and you've always dreamed of winning it. Sometimes dreams come true. Describe the emotions that you felt when it was a reality.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, when I lay down to the floor, many things come to my mind. First my family and my friends and everything. I don't know how I can explain, because it's my dream. My dream done. It's over. I will go home with a trophy, and it's my best sensation ever in my life.

It's too early to explain. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week I will be believing in this. But now, I don't know. I don't understand nothing.

Q. The crowd out there, was that special?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, of course, the crowd, it's so exciting cheering for both players. Very respectful for both players. They made a good show for everyone.

Q. I want to know where in the match you felt that you could do this? Federer is known for just pulling out the aces and going to the fifth set and making it. Somehow just having the mental stamina to go through. When did you feel that, wow, I think I got this, I can actually do this?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, when I won the second set, I think if I continuing playing same way, maybe I have chance to win. But after, when I lost the third set, going to break up, I start to think bad things, you know. It was so difficult to keep trying to keep fighting. But one more time the crowd and the fans helped me a lot to fight until last point. I think I have to say thank you to everyone for that.

Q. When you spoke to the crowd in Spanish afterward you got kind of emotional. What did you say?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, because my parents want to come watch the final and say, no, be there. Of course they are part of this moment. They believe in me a lot like my coaches. It's a special moment for me, for my parents and my friends. This trophy is for these, too.

Q. If there was one thing you think did you well today, what was it? Fighting or technically was it ‑‑ what?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Big focus every time and good feeling with my forehand I think was the key of the match.

Q. You've done it now one time. You're only 20 years old. Does this give you an incredible desire more than ever to be a consistent champion, somebody who can go out and win other Grand Slams as well and repeat here? Build a legacy?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I don't know, I just want to live this moment. Of course I will be in the history of this tournament. That's amazing for me. I have new opportunities in the other Grand Slams to win, because if I did here, if I beat Nadal, Federer and many good players, maybe I can do one more time.

But of course, will be difficult, because I was so close to lose today.

Q. You double faulted twice to go down two sets to one. How did you get yourself back into that match? What were you telling yourself?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I was so...

Q. Were you momentarily down?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, but that moment I start to think the final, playing with Roger, the best player of the history, nothing to lose. And be two sets to one down, but I think, okay, you never lose until the last point, so keep fighting. The crowd help me, and they saw my fight in every point.

So I think that's help me.

Q. You came this close to almost breaking the racquet after the third set. All of a sudden there seemed to be a new spark in you.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I was so nervous. But for respect to me and respect to everyone, I don't do that, because maybe when I feel nervous I saw Roger and he's a gentleman player, you know. We have to learn many things about him. Many times I do that today.

Q. In the first set, he handled pretty well. Was it nerves on your end that you got a little nervous playing the first set? In the second set, what adjustments did you make to your game?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yes, the beginning of the match I was so nervous, I can't sleep last night. I don't take a breakfast today. That's part of the final, you know.

But Roger start very good. I start little down. I miss ‑‑ I was bad with my serve, and that's important weapon of my game. When I broke his serve for first time, I start to believe in my game. To change.

Q. You always talk so quietly with this soft voice, do you ever shout in your life, in your private life? Do you get angry?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, of course. I was in the locker room...

Q. What did you do?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Doing some bad things. I cannot tell you.

Q. Does this victory, is it even more special because you beat Roger in the final?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, of course. Beat Roger for first time here in my favorite Grand Slam, and two sets to one down, everything, I think it's the best final ever in my life, of course.

But if I beat Roger if three sets straight will be better. But it's impossible.

Q. Do you think the match you played against him in Paris helped you here?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, sometimes help me, but sometimes no, because I was 4‑5 serving and I did two double faults, same like Paris when I was 3‑All in the fifth set.

I think that, but fortunately it was early. I have two more set to fight. Maybe that's help me.

Q. You earned a lot of money today. How are you gonna use this? Are you gonna buy something to treat yourself?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: No, maybe cheesecake for my birthday.

Q. The fact that you in your first Grand Slam final beat Roger, who is in the prime of his brilliant tennis career and the way did you it, what did you learn about yourself today and throughout the course of this tournament?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I think everything is to learn about this match. I have many things to improve to be better. Of course I would like to be in top 4, top 3, or top 1 in the future. But I have to play like today many, many weeks in the year. If I still working and still going in the same way, maybe in the future I can do.

Q. Normally the strongest mentally player wins the tiebreaker. You played two tiebreaks against Federer and he starts one with a double fault and you win both. How did you explain? Do you think it was Federer who was, I don't say frightened, but something like that? Or that you did something really special?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, if I lose the fourth set tiebreak I lose the match. I did unbelievable points. I was focused every time trying to think on the point, and that's it.

Maybe Roger feel the nervous, because with his six straight tournament, of course it's difficult. But I did my things. I have respect for what my coach say before the match. That's the reason of my victory.

#575 ·
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009...5311967.shtml?tag=cbsnewsTwoColUpperPromoArea (CBS) Juan Martin del Potro collapsed and cried on the hard courts of the U.S. Open as he realized he was the new U.S. Open Men's champion.

In a four-hour battle, he shocked the tennis world by defeating Roger Federer, the five-time U.S. Open champion and current No. 1 seed.

Slideshow: U.S. Open 2009: Final Weekend Photos

On "The Early Show" Tuesday, the 20-year-old said he played the match of his life Monday night, and everything was "perfect."

"My favorite tournament, my favorite stadium, the best ever in my career," he said.

The Open win was del Potro's first Grand Slam victory. Prior to this match, he played Federer six other times and never won.

What was different this time?

Del Potro said everything was different. And though he had never played in a Grand Slam final, he said he was gearing up to play "amazing tennis," and added that's what he did.

"I played so focused (on) every point," he said.

Del Potro also defeated the No. 2 seeded player, Rafael Nadal, in the semifinals -- a in which where Nadal, "Early Show" substitute co-anchor Jeff Glor remarked, was handled relatively easily by del Potro.

Del Potro said his tennis reached a new level at this year's Open. However, he added, he needs to improve many things in his game, though he didn't offer specifics.

Del Potro is the second Argentine to win the U.S. Open. He said on "The Early Show" his family and country are waiting for him "with sensation."

His compatriot, Guillermo Vilas, the first Argentine champion, who won in 1980, was at the final. Del Potro said he spoke with Vilas after the match and had "good relations" with him.

"(It's) so great to Argentina to win," del Potro said.

Del Potro said he will return to Argentina on Wednesday.

#576 ·
New York Times tennis blog, see original to read reader comments

‘Can I Speak in Spanish?’
By The New York Times

Juan Martín del Potro’s upset of Roger Federer at the United States Open on Monday has prompted a strong reaction among tennis fans, not only because he dethroned a five-time champion, but also because of the awkward moments after the match.

The main source of discussion was del Potro’s request to address the crowd in his native language. As the announcer Dick Enberg listed the prize money, Del Potro tapped Enberg on the arm and quietly asked, “Can I speak in Spanish?”

Enberg stammered for a moment and responded that he was running out of time. He then turned his attention to introducing a Lexus executive and announced that del Potro had won “a 2010 IS convertible with a retractable hard top.”

Only after Del Potro asked the same question again did Enberg and his producers relent:

#578 ·
Thanks sno foo :)

:lol: i like it this coment..

" September 15, 2009 12:26 pm Link

Dick Enberg forgot that Del Potro won or even played…He was solely mourning Federer’s loss.. He also forgot what he should be really doing there! - letting the champion have his moment and let tennis fans (federer’s fans are not immature you see!) partake in a champion’s emotions, but Mr Enberg was content in doing what his job description calls for : announcing the prize money and keys

….Send the USTA old lady, and Dick on a lonnng vacation - sponsored by lexus"

:rolls:

#579 · (Edited)
Juancito in Ole talking about todays photos and ble..

"Me tuve que levantar muy temprano y recorrer Nueva York con la copa. Me llevaron al Empire State, arriba de todo, para sacarme fotos. Quiero llegar a la Argentina para descansar y disfrutar", dijo. A las 8 de la mañana lo llevaron a Early Show, un programa de la cadena CBS, para que contara lo que había vivido en la final. "Fue lo mejor de mi vida, en mi torneo favorito y mi estadio preferido", dijo.

"I had to wake up early, go around new york with the cup. They took me to the empire state, all upstairs, to take photos. I want to arrive Argentina to rest and enjoy" said Del Potro. They took him at the morning to the Early Show a progrram from CBS, so he could tell his feelings about the final. "Was the best thing in my life, is my favorite tournament and my favorite stadium"

He celebrate it last night at a restaurant in Manhattan with his team.. Martiniano, Franco and this manager :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.