Mens Tennis Forums banner

Pep Guardiola as a football manager is....

Pep Guardiola: Is he overrated?

3K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  SloKid 
#1 · (Edited)
I believe he's a GOAT coach..........when he has peak Messi/Iniesta and prime Xavi to work with....It ends there, though..

I'm not sure that 3-10 aggregate loss in consecutive Champions League Semis doesn't immediately take away from your luster and reputation, especially so when your gig is about coaching the nucleus of the players who were incumbent World Champions for Germany and dominant CL winners for Bayern during your tenure(not to mention other elite foreign talent)..So the roster downgrade, assuming it is such, is undoubtedly not that significant..

Although his team was snake-bitten by injury in 2015;for two consecutive years, their the KO stage, even at full strength, was a pretty underwhelming showing all along (having to sweat out Moyes' United and Wenger's Arsenal :lol:)..

Plenty of critics pile on Mourinho one-dimensionalty for coaching style, but Pepe lack of malleability as a manager is starting to show too-- being heavy on possession despite not having a couple or 3 players with expertise for such skillset....He was lost somewhere in his transition to more efficient and direct German style of play..Even on the domestic league, despite swooping in on Dortmund key players, Bayern's Guardiola has never really figured them out the way his Barcelona team dominated Madrid..They pretty much split their encounters..So a couple of Bundesliga titles and cup, which could be won by a B team, is certainly a pitiful for him..

You think he got exposed?

Discuss.......

See less See more
#2 ·
I think the truth always lies in the middle when it comes to coaches - there are a few great ones, but they usually get either too much credit or else too much criticism.

In all likelihood there may have been a culture clash in Munich but what happens on the pitch should always be on the players as well

#3 · (Edited)
I don't care, for us Culers he will always be a hero.

Don Pepito :hearts:

Maybe too many people will tell you that he revolutionized football, which he clearly didn't. He is an attackingly minded coach, which can be beautiful at times (with the right players), but when it fails it looks way too risky and criticizers will bash him for his tactical failure.

Like ibreak4coffee just said, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Pep is a perfectionist, an elite coach and will go down as one of the best coaches ever if he continues to win prizes, but his influence shouldn't be exaggerated.

#6 ·
Maybe too many people will tell you that he revolutionized football, which he clearly didn't. He is an attackingly minded coach, which can be beautiful at times (with the right players), but when it fails it looks way too risky and criticizers will bash him for his tactical failure.

Like ibreak4coffee just said, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Pep is a perfectionist, an elite coach and will go down as one of the best coaches ever if he continues to win prizes, but his influence shouldn't be exaggerated.
Couldn't have said it better. :worship:

btw: Pep is still so young and won already so much as a manager. It will be interesting how he will do in future

#10 ·
Yes, he was always overrated. I mean, he's a pretty good coach, but people talk about him as if he is the 2nd Rinus Michels.

Bayern was a much better team with the older coach that it is right now. And he has better options than Heynckes. I don't understand neither Rafinha or Alcântara being starters in a very deep of talent roster. And he insists with those guys. Pretty much the same he did in his last year in Barcelona, trusting too much in the likes of Cuenca and Pedro.

#11 ·
i really think bayern has regressed and part of that blame has to go to him. im not sure if he is over-rated but i do think the way he does things doesnt work for bayern. they went from being the best team in the world to what they are now which is barely top 5. winning multiple titles a years easily to barely scraping out a season with 1

#12 ·
A tad overrated. Messi will make any coach look good not to mention some of the other legends Barca during Pep's tenure.

Hard to properly gauge him at Bayern as they win the league by default. His Champions League defeats have been very bad but is it fair to judge him based off 4 games?

#13 ·
A tad overrated. Messi will make any coach look good not to mention some of the other legends Barca during Pep's tenure.

Hard to properly gauge him at Bayern as they win the league by default. His Champions League defeats have been very bad but is it fair to judge him based off 4 games?
I sure made it clear in the OP about a full strength Bayern "having to sweat out Moyes' United and Wenger's Arsenal"..Team clearly regressed under him..

#14 ·
Absolutely not, GOAT manager with an amazing football ethos and philosophy. His trophy cabinet speaks for itself, also he never failed to reach SF of the CL, but more importantly his teams have a distinct identity and his Barcelona side is arguably the best of all-time...

He was just thwarted by Messi's genius in this tie but I'm sure he'll win CL again soon.

#15 ·
How do you explain his team being completely outclassed in two consecutive CL semis (3-10 agg)?..And let's be honest, Barcelona could have run up the score in the second half if it chose to (early Suarez substitution)..Winning a couple Bundesligas after stripping your chief rival (Dortmund) of its major assets is hardly an achievement..Yeah, team was especially decimated by injuries in 2015, but he's still working with the core of WC Champions (2014) champions and CL champions (2013)..If he doesn't win it next year, assuming he won't bolt to City, the narrative of "made by Messi" is going to gain more momentum..

#21 ·
Why didn't Mourinho win the CL with Chelsea and Real if it is so easy with a big team?:confused:

The most succesful managers on european stage are Ancelotti and Paisley, who won the CL three times. Pep has two and still so young. Give him a break ffs.
It's a reason why most managers don't win the CL multiple times. It's a dam hard competition and everything has to work out in your favor to win it.

Barca totally deserved the final. The offence makes me speechless. Hardly seen better in my life so far. We missed some key players like Robben, Ribery, Alaba, Martinez. And Lahm still needs time to recover after his injury. So I'm pretty happy how we played yesterday.

Pep so far did a great job for Bayern. The only thing he fuc*ed up was the semi last year against Real. They were beatable. But we were way too naive.

How do you know Bayern would have been more succesful with Heynckes. Just because we won the triple in 2013 doesn't mean we would have repeated that year by year. football changes very fast and if you don'T go forwards you go backwards.

#27 · (Edited)
He is massively overrated. He's a decent coach but it baffles me when people claim he is the greatest coach ever. He had an amazing success in Barcelona because he had a brilliant squad, arguably one of the best squads of all time. Look at Bayern now, they win the league easily, yes because they have by far the best squad in the league, any good coach could have easily won the league with Bayern. In the champions league it shows, his team got owned big time by Real Madrid and Barcelona. Under Heynckes, Bayern was much better and that showed with the results and don't come up with the better squad thing because it's not.

Yeah, and he actually won with a big team. Inter is a big team. Very rich in history and their squad was pretty good during 2010.

He's a c*nt but he is a better coach than Guardiola, imo.

#24 ·
Massively overrated. Just like Clayray.

#29 ·
Sir Alex > Clough >>>>>> Pep > Jose

#32 ·
How anyone can call Pep a better coach than Mourinho is beyond me. Pep is a very philosophical coach - I remember seeing him outline his ideas on how football ought to be played on a Dutch show years ago - and he has a very clear idea on how he wants his teams to play. Having a footballing identity and ideals is something I find important, yet adaptability, being able to work with the means one has at his disposal is something I value more. Guardiola has had his greatest successes with a team that had been trained for years before his arrival to play in the style Pep prefers. Even now at Bayern with such a wealth of players one can see Pep has trouble imposing his view of football on the squad - he has been going back and forth between copying the Barcelona system on the one hand and playing in a more counterattacking way otherwise. I also have my doubts with his man managing skills - not only because of the Zlatan debacle, but also because of how he has been waging a silent war with Bayerns medical staff recently and how Gotze is not funcioning as he should etc. All in all he seems a bit too dependent on the circumstances to be just right for me to consider him one of the greatest coaches of all time. Someone like Mourinho or Simeone, who have shown to be able to succeed in less than ideal circumstances, have more of my respect.

#37 ·
Pep is an inovator. He took some things from Michels total football, he took something from Cruyff's tiki-taka, he combined and add something from himself like 6 second rule and the result is clear. One of the best systems of all time, which created Barcelona and Spainsh team dominance. Mourinho in comparison is another Helenio Herrera. A pragmatist, reaction instead of action, success is everything, everything else doesn't matter.

These approaches have advantages and disadvantages. Guardiola won't move from his possession dominated football, like a dogmatic. On the other hand Mourinho has defended in big matches with every team he has ever coached, but he has more approaches. One approach is great pressing with deadly counterattacks, see Man City last year away, Barca in 2012-2013 at Nou Camp, Inter-Barcelona at home too. The other way is shitting the bed and defending in 10 men, mostly with 3 DM, see Man U match this year, PSG, Barca in 2011 SF, etc...

Mourinho is an anti-thesis for Guardiola, both were in the Barcelona team during the Robson time, where many great coaches nowadays come. I prefer Pep, but Mourinho should be better H2H, because he can adapt, Pep will be the last captain with his boat sinking. The funny think about them is that after their Spanish operation they were predicted to become 2 dominant coaches playing in finals every year. But both of them lost their matches because of their approaches and they have to invent something else.

The last thing: Pep in Bayern isn't the best idea, because you are basically successful only if you win CL or double. Every good coach would have won the last 2 Bundesligas, but that isn't the point. You've won the league in April or March even and you have to prepare your team for 2 tough matches in SF, you need an excelent tactican and motivator. And in this area I believe there are many better coaches.

#38 ·
Pep isn't overrated. He's had 2 jobs in his career and he's been incredibly successful in both of them. The fact that he's managed 2 of the best teams in the world isn't relevant as plenty of people have been handed great teams and failed to deliver. He has delivered.

He has his limitations. He likes to play in a certain way and too often he doesn't have a plan B. But he isn't alone in that regard. Chelsea lost in the Champs League this year because Mourinho is limited too. If they had attacked 10 man PSG, they would have won, but Mourinho sat back and let the 10 men come onto them and it cost Chelsea. Both of these guys are among the best of their generation - but like almost everyone, they have their limitations and flaws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.