Mens Tennis Forums banner

70 years ago

4K views 71 replies 25 participants last post by  selyoink 
#1 ·
70 years ago NAZI lost.. :worship:

#3 ·
and thank god they did

#8 · (Edited)
Huh a bit of history datewise I did not know about - nice pick up!
Quite important I suppose in context of the rest of the 20th century. Had they won boy our world would be so different! A moment to remember and forget simultaneously.

To be frank the 'recovery' of the Allies is impressive. They really turned the tide which was against them most of the way.

This announcement when the war broke out still gives me chills:

#32 ·
To be frank the 'recovery' of the Allies is impressive. They really turned the tide which was against them most of the way
Was it on their racket?

I think it was partly a recovery but mostly the Germans geographical position and the impossibility to make peace. Hitler was a great political player concerning power, but beside Ribbentrop I think there were no one who had the education or experience in international politics. If they would have made their entire pre-war policy different (which would have been a genius move because it is hard to think that long-term) with a more surprise war, less promising there would have been a 15% chance to make a peace with the UK (this they probably tried with Rudolf Hess - but no proof) or with the UK and France (this they tried) which would have meant a Nazi-US cold war and the Nazis had much better economic system than the Soviets so they could have won that match too.

I think two scenarios could have been a possible turnover in the war.

A successful Britain invasion before attacking the Soviets and US joining the war, which could have mean that they could attack Mother Russia with them isolated. I doubt that the US could gave weapons to the Soviets and without Britain they could have kept them out of the war. To be noted it could have meant that the US would join the war sooner because of their ties to the UK. Then they could have attacked the SU without the possibility to fight two wars in worst case scenario.

The other version could have been that the Japanese and the Germans would have attacked SU together leaving the US alone and with that keeping them out of war for a bit more. With the resources they would gain from Russia and getting a good position in the Middle East they would have been the favorites probably.

There is another proposal which I don't like really, but some argue that if they would have ignored Stalingrad they could have gotten to the oil fields which would meant important resources but I think because of the sheer numbers of the Russian people and their weather the same outcome is the most likely with the war being a bit longer (until 1950 or something). Here I think there is a possibility to make peace with the Allies.

#9 ·

Speeching peaked during those days.

#10 ·
not sure what was more Chilling to hear, hitler or goebbels speech

#11 ·
Goebbels, such a sneaky little rat :D

Literally, almost, he even looked like one. But impressive how far he managed to go despite his massive shortcomings.

#15 ·
same ppl still do.

i guess its a mix of of bad things

#24 ·
Do we really have to feel the guilt for what our ancesters have done? No. Exactly because we, as individuals, are not guilty of what happened before our birth.

Making stupid jokes about something that has happened 70+ years ago is hardly breaking any kind of conformism or moral ground. On the contrary, by making (stupid but harmless) jokes, we show that we have turned the page, stopped looking backwards with dramatic eyes. It's obvious all of us here are on the same side.

#30 ·
If the story is true, it happened under the supervision of one professor in a single Polish lab and was not part of official Nazi policy. Hell, even Himmler would have been against it. Not justifiable to make dramatic statements like ''if someone made soap out of your grandfather''.

#31 ·
#34 ·
Congratulations with the Victory Day!

This is a sacred day for our family. My father always remembered his uncle, Sydyk Sarbasov, who went to the war in the age of 18 in 1943 and got killed at Prokhorovka just a month or so later. His two sisters were waiting for him to come back all their lives. My dad was little but he did remember the young uncle, he played with him a lot.

So, it's a tradition in our family to go to the Panfilov Park in Almaty, put flowers to the monument of Panfilov Soldier (this division was the main defender of Moscow in fall of 1941), to the eternal fire. Then kids usually watched one movie about the WWII.

We will take our mom and her sister-in-law to a restaurant for lunch. Want the old ladies have good time today.

As long as our parents, children-of-war, are alive this day is very personal for us. I hope it will be personal for our kids too. There is no family in the former Soviet Union that have not lost someone in that war. People of Soviet Union paid a very high price for this victory. Please have respect.

#37 ·
Totally magnificent Memorial demonstration in Moscow..
Half a million people paid their tributes to their fallen relatives and close ones.
My friend, who is vehemently anti-Putin, and expected this to be a propaganda event said he regrets deeply now of not being there.

#38 ·
Unfortunately, it took Eastern Europe another 45 years before they were liberated.
Nazis or Soviets, freedom it was not.

As a Dutchman, I appreciate the sacrifices the red army made, especially the poor sods who on their return home often could expect a trip to the gulags.
I am eternally grateful though to our British, Canadian and American liberators.

#42 ·
Unfortunately, it took Eastern Europe another 45 years before they were liberated.
Nazis or Soviets, freedom it was not.

As a Dutchman, I appreciate the sacrifices the red army made, especially the poor sods who on their return home often could expect a trip to the gulags.
I am eternally grateful though to our British, Canadian and American liberators.
No need to lie, you do not appreciate the sacrifices of soviet people. And why would a Dutchman talk for Eastern Europe? Let the Jews from Poland and Hungary say if they think there was a difference between Nazis and Soviets. Oh, wait, I forgot, you are a Dutchman, you do indeed know no difference :shrug:

#39 ·
Nazi loss was the most important loss that happened in the new history.. If they won our world would have been even worse than the current world! It is not even imaginable..
The second world war was between German and Russian (empires) in the first place.. Old aristocratic Europe was already finished and people were looking for a replacement.. There were severe tensions in Germany and Russia during that time in history, the reactions inside both communities were both destructive and radical as they had to resolve their problems internally without the help of occupying other countries for resources like Britain and France.. But there had to be a winner between a radical regime based on hating others and a radical regime based on false hopes.. We all wish no radicalism occurred in both communities, that they didn't murder the Tsar girls, etc but there had to be a winner and there would be no hope left in the world if Nazi won this disgusting war..

In comparison there are similar tensions in the middle east now with youth feeling despair, the evil terrorism want to take the area and the whole world, etc.. sadly current terrorism is helped because greed is the leading and because there is no country ready for 20 million victims to fight it.. Many Middle eastern countries have surrended to their inside terrorism and to outsiders who help them.. During world war two the opposite happened and the Nazi lost! They were better in every technical aspect, they lost because there were people who were ready to pay the price no one in the world wanted/wants to pay..

#40 ·
In comparison there are similar tensions in the middle east now with youth feeling despair, the evil terrorism want to take the area and the whole world, etc.. sadly current terrorism is helped because greed is the leading and because there is no country ready for 20 million victims to fight it.. Many Middle eastern countries have surrended to their inside terrorism and to outsiders who help them.. During world war two the opposite happened and the Nazi lost! They were better in every technical aspect, they lost because there were people who were ready to pay the price no one in the world wanted/wants to pay..
I think there is a hope , my friend. Western liberalism that sees the only value in their own prosperity and enjoyment - and that is enforced by their "democratic" elections - where population votes in those who promises more of that prosperity and enjoyment over anything else. Wide legalization of drugs, immorality, glorifying rampant sexuality and perversion, denying and dismissing all history and traditions. Finally its influence is shrinking. The western economies accounted for nearly 80% of world economy 25 years ago. Now they are barely 60%. And that number is melting down as we speak. And so is their influence - both political and economical. New young countries will soon match the West economically and will dissolve its political influence. It's a good time now. A tectonic change is happening. There is hope and it is growing.

#68 ·
Holodomor is the crime of communists. That was their way of fighting their own people to establish another political and economic regime. It's the price for revolution. Do you understand the difference?

You won't compare the jacobins with nazis, right? You think they killed less people? If you take the ratio of course.

Again, please leave this thread. It's opened to celebrate the victory over nazism. If you want to talk about your hate of communism or Russia, open a separate thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.