Mens Tennis Forums banner

My brother gets his lunch taken away from him

4K views 64 replies 29 participants last post by  Uncle Latso 
#1 ·
My little brother, in 4th grade takes a lunch to school, mom always gives him a sandwich, a piece of fruit, a drink and 1 or 2 small sweet things like a couple cookies. However for the last month or so his helper(he's special needs) has been telling him he cant have them. he would get to the lunch room and open his lunch and his helper comes by and sees that he has a cookie or a cupcake. she wont actually let him eat it because its not a healthy snack, she will even take it away from him then put it back in his bag after lunch.Also if axel has a pepsi she wont let him have it either. she has said she wants him to have water or a juice puch but even then if its a capri-sun or something she wont let him drink that. This pisses me off because i dont believe she has the right to do this and the school does not have any kind of policy in place that kids cant have these kind of snacks. I think something needs to be done but my mother wont let me or my father say anything, she does have a problem with it but still wont say anything.

My question is , should this women not be fired or at least punished for trying to force her views on axel and other children. If it was a school policy i would still be annoyed because , whether they let axel have the cupcake or not at school he will just eat it at home so why not just let him have it for lunch. however i would understand that she's just inforcing the policy, but, as i said this is just her inforcing her own dietary views on axel.

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree with you. It is not her place to decide what will your brother eat. You as affected family should go and talk to her and/or to the school principal.

I don't think she should be fired, but definitely she has to be cautioned and warned to stop with this kind of behavior.

#3 ·
Although it is not healthy to eat those things, it is still a 4th grade kid! Let them have some fun!

Just tell your brother to tell his helper to fuck off and that he is going to eat what his mother packs him. Either that, or just eat before lunch

#5 ·
I don't agree that she should be fired, but if nothing is being communicated to the fact the he needs to be having 'healthy choices' in his lunch then your parents need to say something.

When our son started going to school there was an introductory meeting in which they talked about sending healthy lunches. They won't take away anything we send (unless it has nuts, as our school is nut-free) but the will send home notes if we send too much 'junk food'.

#6 ·
A few cookies or cupcake is unhealthy? Wow! This helper needs real :help:. Seriously, it's not their choice. They can advise of 'healthy' choices but I can't see your bro's lunch being really unhealthy if you have fruit and sandwich. It's all about balance. Should speak to principal about it or someone. They shouldn't be fired but advised about their role.

#7 ·
All that administrative stuff doesn't matter when it comes to the root point, which is the 1 on 1 here with the kid and the helper

Just tell the kid to be strong and tell the helper that he will eat what he will eat and that's final. The "fuck off" part is not 100% necessary :p

#10 ·
absolutely. the problem is that my mother is really the one that would have to say something as the hours my father works make it impossible for him to and if i , not being his parent cant go. she like to avoid confrontation at all costs so while she has a problem with it she will never say anything.

#8 · (Edited)
I think she is doing the absolutely right thing

If you nor your mother aren't educated enough about the disgusting amounts of sugar, additives and fat in cookies and coke, then someone who is should take control.

Maybe you will be glad she does when your childrens teeth rot at age 7 by that 'innocent' coke you gave him every day. Your mother clearly doesn't care much about his health, my parents never let me have any soft drinks.

#12 ·
there is absolutely nothing wrong with having the occasional sweet or a couple a day. as long as you are not shoving them in your face , like a box a day than there is no problem.

you sound like one of those people who think you should never have a treat

#9 ·
If the guy is autistic consider that junk food affects his problem and many kids see improvements when on a more healthy diet.

#14 ·
Judging by the title alone, it seemed as if your bros lunch was being nabbed...

From what you've said, the helper is just trying to go above and beyond her call of duty. She isn't doing anything malicious for you to need to complain or call for her head or anything. Just bring it up with her privately before or after school one day, and tell her you and your family have your brothers' diet under control and there's no need for her to intervene.

#18 · (Edited)
if you're not old enough to have a say on the matter, then you might let the adults figure it out.

Either this has happened a couple times and your mom doesn't put sugary stuff in his lunch anymore, or if she insists on these, but the helper takes them away, what you should do is talk to your mother.

She's the one in charge of your brother's and she should know best what to do. A conversation between you and her is the best you can do, coz either she will explain you why she does what, or your arguments might make her talk to the helper.

Or bring the question to both your parents, talk about it.

If i, as a parent would have this situation and i decide this is OK for my kid, i'd be at the school the very next morning i understand about the issue and talk to the helper.

If my wife knows she shouldn't give sweets to the kid, but she's often trying to sneak some in his lunch box (as mothers do), but she knows it's wrong, she'd stay quiet an me i'd hope the helper intercepts them everytime, coz i'd be fed up having this conversation with my wife for the zillionth time....which might very well be the situation here.

But it's not your call mate. Talk to your parents is my advice.

#21 ·
what was the badrep about Abracadabra? :spit:

Boy, you gonna have a great life flipping burgers with those "achievements" and friendly attitude :lol:

#29 ·
I think the lunch-snatcher is being a bit officious, but is undoubtedly well-intentioned. In all honesty, your brother would be better off if her "advice" was accepted.

However, I can see that it could be annoying. Your mother needs to deal with this issue by talking to the school about it, and I would hope this could be done in a friendly way, considering I am sure everyone has the best interests of the child at heart.

#36 ·
That's horrible.

OP, tell someone anyway, that needs to stop, whatever your mother says.

Okay, if I was the parent, I wouldn't give them those foods to begin with (never personally understood sweet stuff outside of an occasional treat), but that woman has absolutely no right to do that based on what you've told us.

It needs to stop ASAP, it could be stressing your bro out too.

Too many people just follow the policy of do/say nothing.
You owe it to your brother to speak up.

#41 ·
Oi, Police of Mind. Look at me. I am a good person. There's two things that I can't tolerate in life. Number one is disrespecting Roger Federer and number two is bullying. Lacabra is guilty of both, and listen... I've matured. You have to be the change you wish to see in the world. It's not just "firing shots". It's justice, and I am the enforcer.

#44 · (Edited)
Gliese, you really ought to teach your brother about bullying. You also need to teach your brother about being ASSERTIVE to get what he wants in life. It is never too early for this lesson.

Next time it happens, just tell your brother to say the following:

"Miss, I understand you are a fan of healthy diets or whatever, but that type of strictness of diet is only reserved for Johnny Groove and other very dedicated athletes from other sports. I feel that since my mother packed the lunch, I am able to eat it."

Now if she relents and allows him to eat the cookie, then that's that.

However, if she persists, he needs to take the cookie away, and say:

"I really feel strongly about this. This is my cookie and I will eat it."

If she STILL tries to pry the cookie from his hands, now he is left with no other option than to SMACK her hand away, and say:

"Bitch! You best not touch my cookie! It's your face next!"

And then he should keep a backhand in the air, cocked, ready to carry out his promise. When she recoils, eat the cookie and look her right in the eye while doing so.

#45 ·
#49 ·
I agree with latso, you should tell your parents about it and let them deal with this situation, and try convince them to make them agree with your point of view if they don't at first. Let your parents handle it.

Btw, this thread has provided some entertaining reading really :lol:

#54 ·
At the end of the day i would totally allow the kid to have the occasional sweets.

Coz the problem usually is about kids abusing them when older, spending all their allowances on sugar products, but while they're provided by the parents, it's assumable that it's under control and moderated, which is far from being a big problem for the kid's health.

But i can also get it if the mom doesn't want to confront the helper, as i can imagine there aren't hundreds of them in the school and her kid's well being is in her/his hands most of the day, so one would eventually ignore this situation, allow the kid some sweets at home and leave it be.

It's always more complicated than it looks on paper.

#56 ·
That explains why lots of older people I know still have fucking incredible teeth, just like I will when I'm a geriatric.

For your information, for the last 10+ years of my life I haven't really ate nor drank many sugary foods or drinks. Pretty much cause I have no interest in them anymore.

But still, it's great to have better looking teeth than anyone I know, dentists included. People who preach stuff like you do normally have shit teeth and go to every measure of making their teeth look better. In fact, I'd advise all children to gulp as much red kola, Barr's lemonade, pineappleade, coca cola, lilt, fanta, tizer, orangeade, appleade and vimto down themselves to promote sexy fucking teeth that girls love. Go for it lads, it pays off.

Cheers

#60 ·
my mother finally agreed to let my dad call and talk to this woman on monday so i have confidence that she wont be doing it anymore after that. my father is a pretty aggressive person with a short temper and he's not really someone you want to get on the bad side of, he's wanted to talk to her about this for some time now so ..

again, thanks everyone for responding. sometimes when you have a problem like this it just helps to talk to other people and hear what they have to say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.