Mens Tennis Forums banner

Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

221K views 2K replies 116 participants last post by  talicnitom 
#1 ·
Yeah, I thought of one last thread we needed... you know, for all the articles about him that are written, etc.

NOW we are set with the threads I believe.

But this will be the lovely place where our Serbian friends post the articles and we wait for translations :)
"Volume 1"

#521 ·
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/ticker.aspx?articleid=16690&zoneid=6

"In the late summer of 2010, Djokovic asked his parents, Srdjan and Dijana, not to travel with him as much anymore and they are no longer at every big event he plays. He also no longer allows his family to join him in the locker room prior to matches."

It was clear that he talked about it with his parents, but has he ever mentioned it in public before? (The rest parts are quotes from the Gulf News article.)

#529 ·
INDIAN WELLS, March 12, R3: N. DJOKOVIC/K. Anderson 6‑2, 6‑3

Q. You have seen this avalanche of players from what was once Yugoslavia. There are so many names and you're at the top level. Why is this happening now?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It's been happening for the last couple years, I guess. Croatia always had a good tennis tradition, female and male players. Serbia just had couple of players: Monica Seles when she was playing for Yugoslavia and ?ivojinovic. Not many players though. We didn't have such a great history.
But, you know, four years ago that changed, and one generation came out of the blue, really, with the support of their family and the great desire to succeed in this sport, which is definitely different. Very difficult to succeed in.
It's individual sport, so you have to put a lot of effort, a lot of dedication, commitment. You cannot rely on the teammates by yourself.
So there is a lot of sacrifice, but I think very strong mentality from the players that come from this region helped it succeed.

Q. Today's match, even though it was 2 and 3, would you say it was a lot closer than the scoreline indicated?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It was, especially in the start. We had a couple of long games, especially the one at 2‑All. You know, I expected that, in a way, because I have played him. Last two times I have played him a won straight sets, but, again, the opening set, especially opening five games, took half an hour or more.
So he's very aggressive on the return games. He has a great serve, as you can imagine for his height. So I had to return well, I had to just be patient, and wait for my chances.
I haven't served well in the opening set, but then it all came down to, you know, his service games. I think I served well and put a lot of pressure on him and returned really, really good.
So I'm really happy with this win today, you know. It wasn't easy to expect to win.

Q. Do you think Kevin is far off from maybe knocking on the top 10 door?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, he has the game for it, definitely. But, you know, it all depends from the consistency of the performance that he can deliver really, because nowadays every top player is playing every major event, every Grand Slam, every 1000 event. So there's not much, you know, room for skipping any events, especially on the clay courts as well.
So, you know, you have to be consistently successful in order to be in the top.

Q. You're obviously aware that there has been a bad virus going around here in the last few days. I just got the sense you were maybe struggling a bit out there today. Anything to do withyou feeling not 100%.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I'm happy to say nothing is going on yet. I'm not gonna invite any bad luck with that. (Smiling.)
I'm taking care of‑‑ yeah, I'm okay. Taking care of it.

Q. After that long game 2‑All in the first, did you feel he had spent a lot of mental energy on that and it was a good opportunity for you to make your run?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, usually after long games like that, if you manage to hold, the next game is the opportunity. That's where I think I felt, you know, it's my time to step it up.
He missed couple of first serves, and then, you know, I think that long game, you know, has taken a lot of energy out of him.

Q. You had some problems in Australia; you said it might have been because of the flowers, allergies or anything. Did you ever sort that out or figure it out?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, I got it all sorted out. I wasn't talking about it this year. Might have been‑‑ was I?

Q. I thought you did this year.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: That's strange. Thanks for reminding me. (Laughter.)
Well, no, I mean, so far so good. There's still a couple of places where‑‑ because it's normal you're changing time zones and countries and conditions in a weekly basis, so it's not easy to always be 100% healthy and fit, you know.
It's normal to expect that. You're human. Your body sometimes is losing energy and getting allergies. But it's okay for now, I can say.

Q. If you could go back in history, so to speak, and have a fantasy match with any player who you have never faced, who do you think you might pick?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Pete, for sure.

Q. Such a great first and second serve and forehand, how do you think...
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I would love to return that serve.

Q. How would you do?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, look, you know, he has been my idol, and I had that privilege to meet him couple of times and discuss tennis, as you can expect. He gave me some really great advices, you know, from his own experience when he became No. 1 and what it took him to stay there for a long time.
We have kind of a similar careers, you know, rankings‑wise, and so it was a very valuable experience for me to sit down and chat with him. Unfortunately never had an opportunity to hit with him and to play an official match.
But, look, you know, I would love to. At least an exhibition match would be a satisfaction.

Q. He's known for his professionalism, his focus. What was his prime message? What was the takeaway you had from the conversations with Pete?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, just keeping things very simple and being committed. You know, staying who you are and what you have done so far, not changing really much, you know.
I mean, everybody is different. Everybody has a different way of committing and being professional on the tour, so you have to adjust the things that are suitable to you, to your personality, and that's more or less what he was telling me.

Q. What about Andre? You have a great return just like Andre. How did you see him when you were growing up?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, Andre has a different personality. I think they both made a revolution in the sport in a way, you know. Pete with his, what, six years being No. 1 of the world, most Grand Slams just before Roger. You know, it was incredible what he has done, you know, so much success, incredible talent, great serve, mental strength.
And then you have Andre that gave this I think dose of fun and enjoyment and entertainment to the sport in the way he was dressing and playing, behaving on the court, you know. It was just so interesting to watch Andre play.
So I think they both made a difference in the sport.

Q. When you describe Andre, a lot of people say those things about you, as well. Do you feel like you relate to his game and personality?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: In a way, yes. In a way, yes.
I had an opportunity to play with him. I played an exhibition event just before Wimbledon I think couple years back. Just that year he retired I think was his last Wimbledon. We played an exhibition event, and we were joking around about our stretching because I was lifting my leg all over the place. He said, I never got a stretching or massage.
But it's just incredible, you know. He's a legend of the sport, and was great to be around him.

Q. You have a big birthday coming up this spring. Have you given any thought to what you'd like for your 25th?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: French Open title (smiling.) Just coming around there, at that time.

Some interesting Q&A :)

#530 ·
INDIAN WELLS, March 14, R4: N. DJOKOVIC/P. Andujar 6‑0, 6‑7, 6‑2

Q. How did you feel about the match today?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I think I played one of the better sets in last couple months in the first set.
You know, he surprised me with his aggressive approach. He was taking the ball early and was playing well.
Second set, you know, I start playing a little bit more defensive, and I think that allowed him to come back to the match. All the credit for him, you know, to play the way he played.
And then, you know, the third set I regrouped. I think the second set I could have won, but, you know, I managed to stay calm mentally and just to find my rhythm again.

Q. With that second set, did you feel you dropped down just a notch, or was it him more lifting?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I think it was a little bit of both. You know, as I said, I allowed him to start kind of controlling the rallies; in the first set, you know, I was the one who was in the court.
This changed. For some reason I didn't move as well as. I was holding on my service games very closely, and he was winning comfortably. So we got to the tiebreak, and I thought that there is my chance. I didn't use it when it was presented.
But, look, you know, overall I think it was a good match.

Q. Are you pretty friendly with him? Do you know him pretty well? Because there was quite an embrace at the end.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, I know him really well. We go a long time. I think we played actually only one match under‑16 in Belgium. I had six match points, and I lost that match 7‑6 in the third set. So we still do remember a little.
We joke around a bit at the times when we were growing up. He is one year older than me, but we know each other very well.

Q. When do you think you played your best tennis last year? Was there ever a tournament like you were in the zone the whole time?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Ah, pretty much all first half of the year. I mean, I played great.
Australia was incredible tournament for me, and, you know, when you start year with a Grand Slam win, it gives you a lot of confidence. I was playing on that confidence run, and I was trying to, you know, be 100% committed to every match that I play.
I think that mindset that I had on just taking one match at a time helped me to have the streak that I had. But it wasn't easy, of course. Everybody was talk talking about when the loss will come, and it had to come sometime. I was aware of that. But I was not trying to think about loss or trying to think about every win that I had.
So I think clay court season was pretty much fantastic for me until the semifinals of French Open.

Q. Do you think you are at that same level at the moment? Is it still too early in the year to determine if you are playing as well as you say that you did last year?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: You know, I believe I'm playing better as the tournament goes on, and that is the goal, obviously, to perform as best as I can.
Of course my best changes day to day. It's not easy to always perform 100% every match you play on, because it's a different opponent, it's different conditions that you‑‑ you know, and as the tournament goes on you, you know, there is more importance, there is more pressure of the matches.
But I believe I'm playing better, and in that first set and in the third set today I think I've played, you know, as well as I played in this stage last year.

Q. Looking forward a little bit, when do you think you're going to make a decision about Davis Cup and Serbian Open, and does it make any difference to your thinking that the Czechs have decided to play Davis Cup on clay?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yes, I've heard about that. Well, it depends, because I'm not thinking as far‑‑ right now I'm entered in Serbia Open, so I'm intending of playing it. But I still am not certain the way‑‑ how my tournaments are going to go now in the States and Monte‑Carlo.
Again, it depends, as well, for Miami what's gonna happen for Davis Cup. I definitely always look forward to play for my country, but the schedule is getting more difficult nowadays.

Q. What's so intriguing to play Berdych or Stepanek?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, they've been around for a while. They are great players, all‑round players on different surfaces. I think they know each other really well, so they make a great team for Davis Cup.
You know, we had that chance to experience how good of a team they are in Serbia 2010. We won 3‑2 and we reached the first finals of Davis Cup.

Q. Have you been in Prague?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I've never been in Prague. I've never been in Prague. If I decide to go to the Davis Cup, I would definitely try to experience a little bit of the city. I heard it's beautiful.

Q. At the top of the game with you and Rafael and Roger, you seem to have Nadal's‑‑ you seem to be able to dominate him. Nadal seems to be able to dominant Federer, and Federer and you seem to be the playing the closest matches. Do you think right now that is the best matchup in the game, you and Federer? How do you see it?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, look, you know, first of all, they have been the two most dominant players in the last eight years before Murray and myself got to that top four of the world.
They have achieved so much, and I have tremendous respect for both of them. I think their rivalry is if not the best of all time.
But I have as well played many matches against Roger and Rafa. They are both different players and they both present a big challenge for me every time I played them.
It's something that, you know, our matches in the past have made me a better player; made me to understand what I need to work on to win against them. It's thrilling for us. It's challenging, as I said.
I think it's interesting for the crowd, for the tournaments, to always see the top players playing against each other. It's something that at the present moment gives men's tennis that extra positive vibe in sports.

Q. Did you see any of Roger and Milos last night? If you did, what do you think?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yes, I watched the match, and I thought Roger did really well to come back to that match. And, you know, we all expected Milos to serve the way he serves. He's always serving really strong and using that as a great weapon.
It was a close match. Milos has a bright future in front of him. He's a very nice man in the first place, and somebody that you could feel that is very committed to the game. He's very professional. He understands the match play, what he needs to do in important moments.
That's going to be crucial for him to overcome those challenges in the future. But he has potential to be top 10.

Q. What needs to happen in Miami for you to go to Prague?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I still don't know. I mean, I can't‑‑ I don't want to make any assumptions or predictions what's gonna happen. So I'll just see how it goes. The time will show.

All those DC-related questions are coming from a single person? :scratch:

INDIAN WELLS, March 15, QF: N. DJOKOVIC/N. Almagro 6‑3, 6‑4

Q. When you play this well ‑ seems like this was your most complete match of the tournament ‑ do you say to yourself, If I play this well I'm not gonna lose; I'm just gonna beat any opponent?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, it's definitely satisfying to play well, you know. This is something that we all want to do, and we all practice very hard each day in order to play as best as we can, you know, in the official matches.
At this stage of the tournament it was important for me to stay mentally focused from the first to the last point. I am aware of the quality of my opponents. As the tournament goes on you're going to play more difficult opponents.
It's gonna get tough out there, and it's really important to hold your composure and try to play as best as you can. I mean, today I served well. I think I didn't lose many points on my service games in both sets, and that's something that I have been working on, you know. I have been trying to get more free points on the first serves.
This obviously hasn't been my weapon in the past, so, you know, I tried to use my serve in the best possible way, and then it gives me more confidence for what's coming up after that.

Q. With this run that you've had, there is this feeling that you've pretty much crushed everybody. That's really not the case. You have had unbelievably tough matches, and they've turned in those moments where you really have to be tough. In the past that was a spot where you weren't considered the tough guy. How did you teach yourself that toughness like today, for example? You go 3‑1, you get broken, you come back, break, hold at love, and then the whole game changes.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yes, well, you know, you have to try to hold your nerves at the important moments, especially if you're playing a top 10 player. And if you're playing the world's top players, you know, you obviously feel a little bit more pressure than in opening rounds, which is normal.
But I have played so many matches on the tour and the big stage, major events, and I learned over the years what I need to do in order to play my best when it matters the most.
I guess I use that necessary experience, you know, to perform my best, to cope with pressure, and, you know, just understand, you know, what shots I need to play at a certain time, even though sometimes you don't need to go for winners. Depending on your opponent, of course.
Today I had a very powerful ball striker on the opposite side of the net. He's very solid from groundstrokes and has a powerful serve. But I knew that he's inconsistent with that, so I just needed to hang in there, which I did.

Q. Specifically if you'd go just a touch further, when you're in real trouble, which is relatively rare, but what is your monologue? What are you saying inside yourself? Is your mind racing? Do you tell yourself, Calm down? What tactics are there? What's inside?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: A little bit of everything. In those moments, it's really important to be as positive as you can and just be composed and be focused on the point that's coming up.
You know, if you start to think too much about what happened or what's gonna happen, then, you know, you're losing that focus. Then it can affect your reactions, your game after that.
You know, I try to think and have the very simple mindset even on the court, you know. Take one point at a time, one point at a time, you know.
That is the only way I can really deliver my best. (That's five 'you know' there)

Q. As well as you're playing and the fact that you've been doing it for quite some time now, do you still at times surprise yourself with a shot that you might play in a match and think, Where did that come from?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: (Smiling.)
Well, I don't think there is any more surprises, to be honest. I've played many years on the tour and I know that everything happens for a reason, so I believe that every shot that I play is a result of the work that I put into, you know, every day.
Of course there are some incredible points that I have played in games and matches in general in the last couple of years, but I still believe that work is behind it and that nothing is happening on an accident.

Q. Away from the match, when you're on change of ends and suddenly you see on the screen an advertisement for Head and you on top of a biplane, is that amusing or distracting?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, today I thought, Well, just remember that moment and remember that it was a lot of fresh air up there, so try to breathe in, breathe out. (Laughter.)
No, it was one of the craziest experiences I had, to be honest. Head came up with this commercial. I was wondering if they considered the insurance and everything that comes with the risk of that commercial.
But accepted it, and I think we made a good job. We made people talk about it.

Q. In general, and for yourself, how much of a factor do you think revenge can be in tennis?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Excuse me?

Q. Revenge as a motivating factor in tennis? How much is it for yourself and for other people in general, do you think?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I don't believe in revenge. I believe revenge is a very negative sensation, very negative word. So I don't like to revenge to anybody for anything. I believe that, you know‑‑ I guess you just need to focus on every match. That's it. Have this positive mindset, not thinking about revenging, because that's kind of takes out the negative emotions, I believe, you know, in my case.

Q. How much are you in touch with Jelena Gencic these days?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Jelena Gencic? I spoke to her a couple weeks ago when actually I was in Belgrade before going to Dubai. We try to be touch all the time because we haven't seen each other for four or five years.
Yeah, she has had an incredible effect on my career, and she has learned me all the basics of the tennis. I always go back to her and, you know, share the success that I had and remembering those moments in the childhood when we were starting to play tennis.
She was one of the very few people, including my family, that actually believed in me, that believed that I could be the best and I could be, you know, a Grand Slam winner.

Q. Why is it so long that you hadn't seen her?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Um, it was‑‑ she was away for a little bit, and then I, you know, I started traveling, and then I‑‑ you know, we lost contact.
But then, you know, we came back. What's important now is that we are in touch.

Q. That sort of famous moment when you first showed up and it said you had a headband in the bag and everything ready to go, talk about that moment and also how she instilled belief into this little kid.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yes, you know, it's a nice story considering the fact that Serbia was not a tennis country. We didn't have any tennis history. We had Monica Seles that played for Yugoslavia before she came to the United States, and ?ivojinovic and couple more player, but, you know, Serbia was never specifically a tennis country.
It was more team sports, basketball, volleyball. That's where we had lots of success. So young kids coming up, you know, 90% were‑‑ you know, whoever wanted to become an athlete was looking up to these team sports.
Tennis was very expensive, especially at the time when we had wars and economical crisis and a lot of problems as a country. So to be able to buy a racquet and pay a coach and all these things was really expensive for our standards.
But, you know, my parents made a sacrifice. You know, I'm blessed and grateful, you know, to be out here and with their help.
I was fortunate, as well, to be meeting on the way, you know, of me growing up as a tennis player, developing as a tennis player, some people like Jelena Gencic, Niki Pilic, those people who have great knowledge about this sport and experience.
Jelena, she's 75 now, I think, and she's still playing seven hours a day each day; and Pilic as well. He's that generation that's playing six hours a day.
So these people are more than just tennis coaches. They breathe tennis, you know. They lived every day‑‑ they have this positive fanaticism about the sport. So that's where I have this discipline and professionalism. It comes from that time.

Q. Did you ever think at some point when you were a kid that team sports would fit your personality better, or was the individualism of tennis something that really attracted you?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I think the individualism of tennis and just being a very special sport, something that wasn't developed in our country, wasn't that popular and supported by the country.
So it's hard to say what I felt as a kid. As a four year old I can't really remember. I just remember I fell in love at the first sight.
Again, it was not by accident. They were making three tennis courts in front of our restaurant. It was probably for a reason. It was kind of a destiny for me to be able to start and play tennis and get the racquet.
You know, in my family nobody played tennis. They were all professional skiers or soccer players or something else, you know.
So that's how I started, you know. Really, I'm spending a lot of time hitting balls and I was watching‑‑ whenever I wasn't on the court I was outside and watching somebody playing. I was really obsessed with the sport, and I guess that desire is still present.

Q. I understand from Tipsarevic that the Serbian men's tennis team is going to stay in a house near Wimbledon during the Olympics. Couple quick questions: One, is there anything you'll miss about being in the Village, and who is going to be the domacin, the host of that house? Will there be any competition over the title of grill master?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, first of all, yes, it's true we're gonna stay in a house nearby, because it's more I think convenient for us to be closer to the Wimbledon tennis courts and be able to come on time for practices, for matches, and not to be worried about the traffic in London that can be horrible sometimes.
You know, we do feel a little sad and maybe regret that we're not staying in Olympic Village, because Viktor is the only one of us four that hasn't played Olympic Games. You know, he would really love to stay in the Village, but he understands that it's maybe better for his performance to stay close by.
But we will go there. We will definitely be out there. You know, the 2008 Beijing Olympics were incredible experience for all of us. We got to see the best athletes in the world, to have a meal with them, to have a chat, which is not something that happens every day.
Who is going to be the host? Well, we are all men in the house, so I don't know. We'll try to get a woman at least, you know, to take care of us. (Laughter.)

I like these non-generic questions in press conference of early rounds, since there's usually not much too talk about and it tends to be a bit boring. Hardly any scoops from Nole's these days though, it's one of better ways to get to know him without meeting him in person. :)

#531 ·
THE MAN BEHIND THE NO.1 By Mark Hodgkinson

You will possibly know more about Ivan Lendl's German Shepherds than you do about Novak Djokovic's coach. You will certainly know more about Lendl, Toni Nadal or Paul Annacone than you do about Marian Vajda, the man who guided Djokovic to the Wimbledon title and the world No.1 ranking.

Greg Rusedski said that the Slovak has sensibly stayed in the background. "Everyone on tour knows that he's a great coach. Coaches don't always get great recognition because they don't do the superstar bit. On tour, guys knows who the good coaches are. The general public won't know. He has been very clever. He has sat in the background," Rusedski said.

In the six years that Djokovic and Vajda have worked together, one of the trickiest times came when the Serbian was also employing Todd Martin as a consultant. Rusedski said he admired howVajda coped with having a third person in their tennis marriage (Martin was subsequently pushed out of bed, when Djokovic realised it was not working out): "Marian dealt with the issue of Todd Martin showing up. Djokovic's serve was terrible, and his serve was bad. and there was the change of rackets, all sorts of things. I saw Marian at Queen's in 2010, and I said: 'Novak's serve looks terrible'. He said, 'I know, we're working on these things, we're getting things together'. He knows how to handle the personality and that's part of being a great coach.

"These guys are already great players, and it's about fine-tuning the technique - he fixed up the serve, he fixed up the forehand. On the mental side, he knows that he has to let Novak do his thing and have a good time when he needs to, and then to ask him to knuckle down when he needs to knuckle down. It's about finding that balance as a coach. It's about communication. He has a great reputation on tour, but he should have more credit."

Vajda was crucial in Djokovic's success at the All England Club last summer. "It was special, wonderful, amazing - there aren't enough words to describe what winning Wimbledon meant to him, and to us as a team. Since I started working with him in 2006, winning Wimbledon was the goal," Vajda has said. "The defeat to Roger Federer in the semi-finals of the French Open ended his undefeated run, so that was bitter and took away some of his mental strength. But my role as a coach was to get him to forget that defeat and to prepare as well as possible for Wimbledon."

Yet Vajda could stroll through Wimbledon Village this summer without too many second glances. "That's a good thing about certain coaches, they are willing to take a step back," Rusedski said. "Sometimes, you can have a good coach and they like to be at the forefront, and the relationship doesn't work out. That's probably why he has lasted so long, he is willing to take a back seat and focus on what Novak needs, to say, 'Okay, Novak, if that's what you want'. That takes character and personality to accept that."

#532 ·
Presser after Isner match

Q. I guess the obvious question, maybe the only question, what is it like to face that serve?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, it’s frustrating when somebody serves over 70% of the first serves in with that and with that angle and with that speed and accuracy.

But, still, I played him before. I knew I had to stay patient and just wait for the chance. I had some chances. I didn’t use them.

But I thought I played a really good match. He played very well when he needed to, so all the credit to him.

Q. I would think it’s also tough to get rhythm when he’s basically trying to hit winners off his forehand off the ground all the time.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, it’s tough. You have to judge by yourself as the match goes on if you want to be aggressive on the groundstrokes or you want to be patient. So you kinda have to have a little bit of both, a little bit of variety.

You know, I had third set couple of times 30 All and some chances really where I was in the rally, but he came up with some incredible groundstrokes winners, and that’s it.

You know, I have to shake his hand and congratulate him for the win.

Q. You have played a lot of the big servers obviously. What is it about Isner’s game that’s made him able to rise into the top 10 now that brings him above the rest?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It’s a matter of belief, I think, in the end, and confidence on the court. I mean, with that serve and with that forehand he’s got the ability to be a top 10 player, you know.

He had that already a couple years back. It’s just, you know, matter of really trusting your instincts and your strokes and your quality. I think it all came together for him now, and he’s deservedly in the top 10 now.

Q. When you played him the last time, was he volleying as well as he did today? Didn’t seem like he missed too many tough volleys today, either.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, he didn’t volley that much even.

It’s kind of hard to say if he was volleying good or bad, you know, because most of his volleys that he gets are the easy ones, you know, the easy overheads because he serves so well.

So I can’t really say about that.

Q. Talk about the lobs a little bit. You won two pretty amazing points off of lobbing over if not the tallest, one of the tallest guys out there. What’s going through your head when you take a shot like that?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I know as soon as he hits the first volley he comes to the net quite close. So obviously that’s where I find my chance to execute that lob. But again, some lobs worked out for me; some didn’t.

In the end, it was a very close match.

Q. Turning point of the last tiebreaker was the return he hit on 4 2. Can you just talk about that one point.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I don’t think it’s one point. It’s so close, you know. 7 6 in third set, 7 5 in the tiebreak, the result is saying all. He hit a couple of, I think, lucky shots. You know, he hit the line on the 1 0 for him in the third set tiebreaker where I hit the ball out from the forehand side.

Look, you know, it’s a lot of pressure knowing that somebody serves that well. You need to win your service points, especially when you get to the tiebreak.

But this time I was unlucky, and he executed his shots and he took his opportunities and went for it. He deserved it, you know. He didn’t wait for it, he went for it.

Q. How do you look ahead to Miami after today?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, it’s still I think a week to my first match, so I’m gonna take some time, regroup, you know. I feel physically well. I think I’m playing equally well, you know.

It’s semifinals. I mean, this match could have gone either way, really. I’m confident ahead of the Miami tournament.

Q. What does it feel like to try and return that guy’s serve?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I answered, you know, at the start. It’s frustrating.

Q. From a tactical point of view, did he do anything that surprised you? Did it go as you expected it would go? Because he managed to hold off quite well on the rallies.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, the match could have gone a different way if I held him 5 4 first set. I played a bad game and had a bad call challenge. The match turned around.

I thought I was returning his serve really well in the first set and finding my range. Then after that, he started when he broke me in 5 4, he started believing more that he could win. Yeah, then it was very difficult to make a break.

But look, you know, overall it was a good tournament for me, and I have to stay positive.

Q. When a match is as close as that as you say, it could have gone either way how long does it take you to get over a loss like this one in such a big event at such an important stage of the tournament?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I have no other choice but to recover in a week’s time. Mentally and physically I feel great (smiling).

So, yes, I am disappointed that I’ve lost today, of course. Nobody likes to lose. But still, you know, I have to congratulate John who played a great match. That’s it. You know, this is sport.

I mean, tennis is one of the sports that you have to you know, you have to try to recover as fast as you can from the losses, because there are tournaments basically every week, every two weeks.
I have been in this situation before and I know how to act.

Q. When a guy is hitting his serve that big, do you turn around look at the scoreboard to see what it was, or do you try to avoid doing that? Do you look for the speed of it?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, sometimes just to admire, because I will never get there. (Laughter.)

Q. For the fans, this is basically a fantasy semifinal day for two reasons: One, three of the top players in the world; two, an American in the semifinal. Can you talk a little bit about how much the crowd does or doesn’t affect you when they’re so excited about an American player out there?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, you know what to expect, that they will support John. It would be strange if they didn’t. It was special day. It was great to see the full stadium, 15,000 people really getting into the match, into every point. It was great to be a part of it.

Q. When you played Almagro you had said that he can make shots from all over the court, but you also expected pretty much to wait him out because you knew he was going to make some mistakes. Is that similar when you play Isner? You know about all the big serves that he will give you, but you also know that you’re going to get all kinds of opportunities?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, you have to be patient and wait. I guess if it comes, it comes. If it doesn’t, then, you know, you can’t do much except to congratulate, and that was the case today.

#534 ·
To be fair with Nole I think he played pretty well. Handling a serve like isner's is not easy task. I think the whole match turned around after that missed call. That changed the momentum.

#541 ·
That's weird. It's the Serbia Open, the only tennis tournament they've got and half the stars are skipping it? and how they suppose to make it stronger? In Spain no Spanish player would ever skip Barcelona or Madrid. :scratch:

#544 ·
If they play it, they have to play every single week from now until the end of RG, at least - DC after Miami, and they represent Serbia in World team Cup the week before RG. So I guess the only option they had to take a week off is this one :sad:

#546 ·
TENNIS.com: Who do you like to watch play and why?

Steve Nash (NBA star and tennis fan): Federer and Nadal are both incredible. Roger's shot-making ability, athleticism, and vision are amazing. Djokovic, in the past year, has put himself on a level that is very comparable. Nadal has a lot of game as well; I'm not taking away anything from his game, but his mentality is so impressive. I really feel like Nadal is right there as the toughest athlete in any sport. He is mentally so strong. He digs so deep. I respect Nadal as much as any athlete in any sport for his mentality.

I know I am naming the top three players in the game and there's a lot of other guys—and women—who are great, exciting and offer a lot, but it's very special to see three players at the top of the game play at the level those three are at.

#547 ·
Getting Real, Real Quick 03/22/2012 - 12:36 PM
by Pete Bodo

If you didn't know better, you might be easily convinced that Victoria Azarenka is Novak Djokovic in drag—an analogy that might amuse the Serb, the kind of guy who enjoys a bit of cross-dressing and might get a kick out of donning a blond wig and, playing air tennis, letting out a high-pitched "Who-o-o-o-o-o-. . . !"

In fact, the only aspect of the Vika-as-Nole theme that doesn't quite fit is Azarenka's shortcomings as a fashionista, as demonstrated by that weird shorts-over-tights look she brought to the Indian Wells final last Sunday. Not that I have problem with it; it's refreshing to have a female star who doesn't feel obliged to make a "statement" or wear a get-up that looks more appropriate for an Oscars after-party. But let's face it, Djokovic is a sharp-dressed man.

It was last year at this time and place (the Sony Ericsson Open) that Djokovic really broke through in the public consciousness, but it's also where he convinced most pundits, astute fans, and camp followers that this transformation was lasting, that he represented a genuine threat to the two men who had always been ranked ahead of him, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer.

Djokovic was 18-0 at the onset of Miami with three tournament wins, and he had beaten his three main rivals in those finals: Andy Murray at the Australian Open, Roger Federer in Dubai, and Federer and Nadal—back-to-back—at Indian Wells. When Djokovic left Miami following an epic win over Nadal, he was the toast as well as the scourge of tennis, and would remain so until after the U.S. Open.

Azarenka embarks on her quest to win Miami with the No. 1 ranking in hand, and you have to like her chances. She's won this event twice and is—like her counterpart Djokovic in the men's draw—the defending champ. Like Djokovic early in 2011, Azarenka is the Australian Open champ and she's undefeated this year in match play. The 22-year-old from Belarus has won five more matches up to this point in the year (23) than Djokovic had at this stage in 2011. And like him, she hasn't quite convinced the world of her superiority yet, but would almost certainly do so if she concluded a clean sweep of the entire year-opening hard-court swing.

Azarenka is certainly aware of the footsteps she keeps stepping into; she even joked down in Melbourne about "being like Djokovic" when she pulled a package of gluten-free wraps out of her hotel refridgerator. And that was before she began to make her big move.

I imagine Azarenka knows that many fans must be thinking, "Sure she's doing great, but can she beat Serena Williams?"—conveniently forgetting that Vika crushed Serena, 3-and-1, for the biggest win of her young career in Miami in 2009. The two could meet in another final here, to jog our memory—or discredit it. It also hasn't helped Azarenka that despite the relative chaos on the WTA in recent years, she was unable to win a major until just a few months ago.

But even these qualifiers point toward parallels with Djokovic, not all of which are statistically based or entirely obvious. Let's look at some of them:

—Nole and Vika were both "slow-fast starters" as pros. They hit the tour early: Azarenka began playing Grand Slam tennis at age 16; by the end of that year (2006), she had turned 17—and made the third round at a major, the U.S. Open. Djokovic turned 18 during his first year of Grand Slam competition (2005) and he made the third round at two Slams (Wimbledon and U.S. Open). By the age of 19, both were established as Top 20-or-better players.

Djokovic won his first major in Australia in 2008, before he turned 21. But he didn't win his second until 2011. The prowess of Federer and Nadal certainly had something to do with that, but it's also true that once he became a star, Djokovic got a bit lost in the funhouse, and his game became a little rough around the edges, especially in the service and consistency departments. Basically, Djokovic matured late despite his precocity.

Azarenka is also a late-blooming prodigy. Part of that can be explained by the bad luck she had last year at the majors, losing to top women who were in form in the late stages at each event. Azarenka was playing well enough at those tournaments to be a credible champ at any of them. It just didn't work out for her, and maybe in the long run that was a source of motivation for her in 2012.

Like Djokovic, Azarenka got real, real quick.

—Vika and Nole both had stamina and/or competitor issues until their games jelled. Who can forget the 2006 French Open, when Djokovic, then No. 63, retired from his quarterfinal match against No. 2 Rafael Nadal after losing the first two sets—then boldly proclaimed that he felt like he was in charge of the match?

It was the classic show of hubris you sometimes get from a remarkably-gifted-but-still-out-to-lunch kid, but it wasn't an isolated incident. For a variety of reasons, including allergies, that made breathing difficut for Djokovic, he retired in a surprisingly high number of matches.

Last year, Azarenka retired during four tournaments (that doesn't include tournaments she pulled out of after entering, citing injury; those don't show up in the official results). In 2010, she quit during five tournaments. It's unfair to second-guess a player's injury issues, but it's safe to say that Azarenka seemed pretty fragile, either physically or mentally, early in her career. Like Djokovic, she seemed to get sturdier as she got older and, well, more emotionally mature.

—Stylistically, it doesn't make much sense to compare men and women, but Azarenka and Djokovic earn their livings in a similar way—with a very aggressive ground game based on an excellent service return, terrific defense, an equally impressive transition to offense, and a superior ability to change the direction of the ball. At his or her best, each of these players swarms all over an opponent and represents the ultimate expression of the aggressive all-court game pioneered by Jimmy Connors, in which the least remarked-upon component is the sheer pace of the play and the pressure that puts on an opponent.

—Mentally and emotionally, Vika today is almost eerily like Nole circa March of 2011. The focus, confidence and determination are, if anything, more evident in Azarenka's game face. Until he starts tearing off his shirt and beating his chest, Djokovic is a calm, non-confrontational, "you mind your business, I'll mind mine" type of player. Azarenka is a little different. She's tight-lipped in a severe kind of way, but with an omnipresent, communicable glint of steel in her baby blues. I don't know how her opponents feel, but when I've watched her lately I've thought, "Man, she wants to just destroy that other girl. . .

—Both players have enjoyed every moment of their respective runs. Like Djokovic last year, Azarenka seems comfortable and happy with what she's accomplishing. She isn't even inspiring those generic "do you feel the pressure of this streak?" kinds of questions. Pressure?, she seems to ask with her attitude? Bring it on! I love it!

Well, if Azarenka continues her run, that pressure will begin play to a role at some point. But for now she's on a great ride, the first stage of which will end on a high note if she wins at Miami. And what could be more fun than impersonating the great impersonator?