Mens Tennis Forums banner

Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

221K views 2K replies 116 participants last post by  talicnitom 
#1 ·
Yeah, I thought of one last thread we needed... you know, for all the articles about him that are written, etc.

NOW we are set with the threads I believe.

But this will be the lovely place where our Serbian friends post the articles and we wait for translations :)
"Volume 1"

#500 ·
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/31/sports/tennis/31iht-tennis31.html

In Australia, Djokovic Was Unbeatable, but Not Untouchable

Ryan Pierse/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
Novak Djokovic after defeating Rafael Nadal in the Australian Open men's final. Djokovic is trying to become the first man since 1969 to win a Grand Slam.
By CHRISTOPHER CLAREY

MELBOURNE, Australia — The leading men played overtime in Rod Laver Arena in the homestretch of the Australian Open this year, and they often exchanged pleasantries with Laver.

Mark Blinch/Reuters
Although Rafael Nadal still leads Djokovic, 16-14 over all, he has lost their last seven matches.
Enlarge This Image

Novak Djokovic, left, and Rafael Nadal with the tennis great Rod Laver. Djokovic could become the first man since Laver to hold all four Grand Slam singles titles at the same time.
Rafael Nadal expressed his gratitude that Laver, 73, one of the greatest to play the game, was courtside for their matches. Roger Federer, who has long had an affinity with Australian tennis, sat next to Laver in a television studio and compared notes with him on rivalries and eras. Novak Djokovic called him Mr. Laver after meeting him for the first time and then apologized because nobody serves and volleys anymore.

“We are running around the baseline,” Djokovic said. “I’m sorry about that.”

But after all the baseline rallies were finally over in Laver Arena at well after midnight Monday morning, the only one of the game’s stars in position to be on equal terms with Laver this season was Djokovic.

Djokovic had a troubling autumn after winning the United States Open in September, going down in a heap and a scream in Belgrade, Serbia, after tearing a rib muscle during a Davis Cup match against Argentina. When he returned, he looked short on energy and inspiration.

Back in Melbourne to defend his title, he was nowhere near as untouchable as he was in 2011. He struggled for breath and for balance in his final two marathon matches, against Andy Murray and Nadal.

But in the end it was all a false dawn for his rivals, as Djokovic ended up in the usual pose, holding the silverware even if he and Nadal required chairs during the ceremony that came after their 5-hour-53-minute final.

Djokovic, Nole to his fans, later added another twist, grabbing a microphone and belting out the AC/DC song “Highway to Hell” on a stage at the Australian Open staff party on his way to a much more sedate postmatch news conference.

Bashful Djokovic most certainly is not, and his next tennis quest is now in need of a nickname. Will it be the Djoker Slam, the Djoko Slam or the Nole Slam if he becomes the first man since Laver in 1969 to hold all four Grand Slam singles titles?

Djokovic, brimming with talent and confidence, needs only one more: the French Open in June. Roland Garros, in a sense, is his final frontier. It is the dusty kingdom ruled by Nadal, who has lost only one match on Paris clay and will be trying to break his tie with Bjorn Borg this year by winning his seventh singles title.

Seven is not Nadal’s lucky number at the moment. Although he still leads Djokovic, 16-14 over all, he has lost their last seven matches, including two on outdoor clay last year. He and Djokovic looked set for a meeting in the French Open final last year before Federer stopped Djokovic’s 43-match winning streak in the semifinals.

Djokovic has other plans.

“I’m playing the best tennis of my life, and in 2011, I made back-to-back wins on the clay against Rafa,” he said. “The semifinals of Roland Garros was an incredible match against Federer, and so it gives me enough reason to believe that actually I can go to the finals maybe this year, and I’m thinking about it. There is no secret about it, but again, it’s still a long way through.

“There is still many tournaments to come, but I will definitely prioritize Grand Slams and Olympic Games. That’s my aim this year.”

To preserve his health in an Olympic year, he does not plan to play Davis Cup, the annual team event that helped launch him into orbit when Serbia won it in December 2010. Djokovic views the 11-month season as a series of miniseasons punctuated by breaks for rest and training. He and his support team call the miniseasons “waves.”

“I think we need to do a similar wave strategy this year,” he said. “Because it’s going to be really difficult for me to decide which tournaments will have to be sacrificed in some ways, and I’ll have to do it, because I cannot play everything.”

His family’s tour event in Belgrade remains problematic, coming the week before back-to-back mandatory Masters 1000 events in Madrid and Rome. Too many clay-court events, particularly when one wins so often, would not bode well for Paris.

But some believe Djokovic is in position to think bigger. Mats Wilander, the outspoken former tennis champion, said that Djokovic, if healthy, was in position to make a run at Laver and the true Grand Slam by winning all four majors in the same year.

Wilander said one of the few things holding Djokovic back was his tendency to telegraph his physical difficulties to his opponents.

“The only reason maybe he doesn’t win a match is because he’s looking for energy and he’s showing all of us that he’s looking for it, and that’s unprofessional,” Wilander said. “The only reason Nadal is in it is because he doesn’t look for it. It’s just there, and when Novak learns how to do that, he’s going to be kicking these guys’ tails for a long time.

“He’s just so clean with his strokes. It’s just, ‘O.K., let me accelerate.’ And then boom. Nadal just doesn’t have that. It’s amazing, because Novak is cleaner than Federer. He’s like a Marat Safin who moves. It’s the same sort of power.”

What was striking in Melbourne was how upbeat both Murray and Nadal were in defeat. One might think that losing a late-night epic would be enough to make a tennis superstar sullen, but both waxed positive as if getting close to beating Djokovic was a big step toward actually beating Djokovic.

That is only rock-solid logic if Djokovic was playing close to his best here. It did not appear that way. Aside from his physical issues, he blew hot and cold in the final two rounds, with significantly more errors than winners in both matches. His returning remained consistently brilliant. Murray won just 30 percent of the points on his second serve. Nadal won 45 percent, which sounds just fine until you realize that Nadal tied for the ATP Tour lead last season by winning 57 percent of his second-serve points.

“His return is probably one of the best in history,” Nadal said. “I never played against a player who’s able to return like this, almost every time.”

To sum up, Melbourne belonged to an even diminished Djokovic, and labels like “The Big Four” or “The Big Three’ continue to seem outdated. Major men’s tennis, for now, is about “The Big One”, and he is still just 24 years old.

#501 ·
Wilander is such an idiot :lol: "The only reason maybe he doesn’t win a match" - well, he does win, doesn't he? :lol:

#505 ·
Novak - Mom, let me go skiing (on Kopaonik)

----

Novak met local press in his restaurant.

In relaxed atmosphere he said that his priorities this year are - win in Rolland Garos and medal on Olympic Ganes.

- I would like to go tomorrow to Kopaonik, to ski a little..haven't been there for 6-7 years. But, family negotiation are still on. Mom don't like the idea, she says it's too cold up there. Skiing is my biggest love, after tennis, and I admit, I will always feel sorry for not trying it professionally. Ski is more complex sport than tennis, I admit that. (Tomorrow will be the coldest day here..they expect -20 in Belgrade..so probably -30 on Kopaonik)

Impressions from London

People who left the strongest impression on Novak were athletes with disabilities - South African Oscar Pistorius and Dutch tennis player Eshter Vergeer, who didn't lose a match from 2003.

- They are incredible people. Everybody is talking about my 40 something victories, and that lady didn't lose a match for nine years!. I asked her, how many grand slams she won..she looked in her husband..and said..around 20. Incredible.

Beside those two, Novak was impressed with Ruud Gullit (famous Dutch footbal/soccer player)

- He is a fantastic person. I love that kind of people..positive people.
NOvak had a wish to take a picture with Messi and Usain Bolt...but "I will chase them down during the Olympics, there's no way they'll escape me."

He met wit Monika Seles, whom he, once again, called to be his guest on Serbian Open.

- Serbia loves Monika and want to see her again, she is, after all, born here, and her biggest results were made under the flag of Yugoslavia, I told her that. I gave her a hint, that I would like her to be part of some exhibition matches that I plan to organize here.

Journalists asked Novak about the meeting with British Prime minister David Cameron.

- Obviously we talked about tennis. I met him during the Masters Cup with the rest of the guys, he cleared his guest room for that occasion and we played a bit tennis there. We agreed that next time I come there we should play a couple of points of real tennis. Than we will put on his table story about visa abolishment/cancellation for Serbia. One friend suggested that subject to me. Don't take it in a wrong way..I don't have any intention to get in politics. I want to stay in sport field after I finish my career.

----
I feel really blessed, because I'm fulfilled in a sport I adore. I'm very happy that I can have a positive influence on kids and young people, that is my off court goal. Not only me..every successful athlete from Serbia.
His participation in this year Serbian Open is not evident.
- My priorities this year are RG and OG. My main goals.

His main statistician is granny Etelka from Vinkovci (Croatia)
- I can't leave her out, she's the best statistician! She covers all tournaments on teletext, because she don't use internet. Even the challengers. If I don't have some details about my opponent..she's always there: He lost second round in three sets. I guess he's injured, his backhand is not working". So I press him on his backhand side.

Novak even played a little golf with journalists..sport that he very often play for relaxation and enjoyment. Somebody jokingly asked him - did he play with Adam Scott?

- No way. I play only with his girl friend:)

Reactions: shuhrat
#508 ·
Such a lovely article. Thank you for the translation!!!
That part about granny is really sweet. Btw, Is he talking about Dijana's mother???
And lol at Adam Scot's GF reply. Typical Nole. Simply Adorable...

#509 ·
Google Translate :drink:

legendary Alberto Tomba happy to show ski cake best player in the world

Because Novak I rushed to the Kopaonik!

Awarding of the prestigious "Laureus" in London that has caused a lot of time after Novak Djokovic meet with one of its greatest sporting heroes, Italian Alberto Tomba (44), a member of the jury, which voted him the best sportsitom world for 2011. year.

Legendary ski champion responded yesterday to call our friendly and enthusiastic editorial pointed out that the meeting with phenomenal Djokovic the most beautiful thing he experienced lately!

- good day - we were immediately surprised by the legendary La Bomba.

- So we can and in Serbian? Is that you learned to Nole?
- We can not, I know a few of your words. You know, Novak was a kid when I first 20 years and over spent time with your people. I can Bojan raced Križaj once, so I picked up from him some of your words, and Sasha Danilovic, who once played in Bologna, my good friend

- Tomba boasted in an interview with "Hello".

- however, you have a Monday much better known friends, Djokovic?
- So I am very happy about it. Novak and I met three years ago in Milan, but it was in a hurry, and in the meantime and we lost contact. However, we have seen in London on Monday night and agreed that it would be nice to encounter. Here, but on Tuesday we exchanged SMS messages and this is proof that our renewed friendship develops nicely.

- What do you think about Novak?
- It's great guy. The phenomenon, I dare say. What is performed on the tennis court is fascinating. Not just results, but we all like about him. The behavior and attitude, because man has the right attitude, and I prefer to see the man.

- Djokovic says that you are one of his biggest idols?
- I am happy about that. It gives me great pleasure to be so. I'll tell you something else, Novak now reminds me of me 20 years ago, when I was at the peak of his career. Faces the same challenges that I can and I met, and that is a constant need to beat strong rivals and Nole are masterfully deal with it. I then had to beat champions like Stenmark and Zurbriggen, just as today, and Nole has to get Nadal and Federer.

- What do you think about Nole's tennis?
- I have no words. It has rightly been declared the best athlete of the world because of his series and the game on the ground to really deserve. I personally am a big fan of Roger Federer as the Swiss, the guy in the neighborhood, but Nole successes have left me indifferent. I think Djokovic will be able to dominate for years to come because he is young and should only drummed in my head that the best player in the world. If it succeeds, will jeopardize the fantastic Roger by the number of titles.

- Do you play tennis?
- I do not play anymore, I am old. I have 44 years. (Laughs) Sometimes I did and I was very good, I could play for two hours. I played good in doubles, for example, I remember that I have provided great party in a pair with Goran Ivanisevic 15 years ago, and with Boris Becker in Munich 10 years ago. That was then ...

- If you endured a lot with Novak?
- Uh, tough question, Nole was in awesome shape ...

- And Djokovic is "mangupira" in your sport, skiing. Have you watched him as skis?
- I have not had a chance. Although, I believe, at least according to the movements on the court and resourcefulness, a very good ski.

- Just yesterday he went skiing in Kopaonik. Would you come to show him some cake?
- Instantly! Although I have commitments in Bulgaria next year, if Nole call me, I could make a schedule in place and to socialize with him. It would be a great pleasure to me.

- In the end, when can we expect you in Belgrade?
- last time I got to celebrate his birthday at a restaurant that holds the Djokovic family, I was prevented, but I believe that in the next few months certainly visit Serbia - said the legendary Alberto Tomba.

- Do you plan a meeting with Djokovic?
- I know that his girlfriend Jelena is here in Milan and, therefore, Nole arrives in Italy. I called him that when they have free time feel free to stop by Bologna and Sardinia, where I have two beautiful homes. I live on a quiet and secluded places where one can relax and know that Nole and his girlfriend have just a lot of peace wherever they find themselves, so I want to give them a fine resort, while at least in my country.

#510 ·
"How to become a champion Novak"

The first coach Novak Djokovic, Jelena Gencic, Mr in the new series "Blic" reveals details from the beginning of his career best tennis players of the world and tells of how he became Grenda slam champion. Jelena Genčić has a special flair for talent, so it is "recognized" Monica Seles, Goran Ivanisevic, Iva Majoli, Mima Jaušovec, and his most important pupil Novak Djokovic. All of them have in common that they cooperated with her and after becoming champions.

# Will two-handed backhand, is stronger!

In the first part of the series on creating a champion, she obasnila how they differ from other players.

"The first dark-skinned Wimbledon winner, American Arthur G, is best described as the recognized champions: an intelligent player can only be a champion, and the rest can make it a surprise and have a good day, but that's all."

There is little known to the world's best tennis player began his career playing single-handed backhand, and today is best known for the two handed stroke.

"Novak, I was one day approached and asked if I could try two-handed backhand, which is still the best in the world. We rehearsed it, but we have not forgotten one-hand. In the end he decided that he wants to play with two hands, because he understood what suits him more, and you must let the children to develop individuality. I asked him why this is solved, he said that his ball harder. How I learned it, so it was easier for me, because he participated in it and helped me a lot. We worked move, and everything else, Nola was enthusiastic and had such good footwork ... I was told, if we do this properly, we must not exercise more than blow, it will be awesome. And it is now seen in its elasticity, the reaction in all the elements of his game, "among other things says Jelena Genčić.

# I immediately knew it was special

In the second part series on creating a champion, she explained that people realize that Novak Djokovic would not be an ordinary boy who likes tennis.

"I felt immediately that it is wise and intelligent child, whatever, but then he was a genius. I also had to prepare for his questions, because it is not just to talk with a child of six or nine years since then, but all they know, and his education was left in the breadth and depth. I think I succeeded in his education, a goal was not tired, that he should not be boring. talks about art, novels, or articles from newspapers, were to him as a wonderful holiday . Now I realize that it was crucial for his appearances today before the crowd, because he is free, well-spoken, "said Genčić.

She added that the first racket of the world has new features which, until recently, did not know that Novak has.

"His sentence, when he received the" Laureus "the best athlete of the world" All I succeeded thanks to the great love of parents, friends, "... So, love it runs, which not everyone can understand, because a lot of them think they only work competition and bring maximum results. He cares, I turn generates motivation. last time we met, I noticed something that I did not became apparent, and that is that if something Nole thinks, it will definitely happen. He told me not to vimbldonski cup and now that I'm sure it will be the case. from his eyes sparkle gone out, hit me, and then I realized that he has other ambitions, upgrade to Wimbledon. I've always said that the best tournament, tennis mecca, but he wants more, more. In its earliest days and have not seen it because I know he will win many more Grand Slam and Masters, "said Jelena.

More read the print edition of "Blic" on Saturday 11th February ... Feuilleton published in eight bits .... :tennis:

#513 ·
Thanks!

Next part...

The third part series on creating a champion she spoke about the time spent on Kopaonik.

- On one occasion picked a beautiful bouquet of candles, the largest to date and I asked:
"The money, which to wear, whether in a restaurant, important to put in or something else." And he looked at me clutching a bouquet, and said: "Today is my mother's birthday." It is very emotional and sensitive - Genčić said.

The first racket of the world now have Maltese Pierre, and have always loved animals.

- One evening, about half the 10 houses someone at the door and I hear: "Nole, Nole here! Fast, Jeco! Sida, or as we call it but, all the bloody, open to him, listen to and take a powder, spray and gauze and I go with him to heal him. It was one of the dogs, who came with us on the field. I asked Novak how he feels, he said that it is the fear, but that he must help. She told him that he stroked him on the head, and I'm going to wash his wound - including Novak's first coach says.

More read the print edition of "Blic" for Sunday 12th February ... Feuilleton published in eight sequels ...
http://sport.blic.rs/Tenis//210049/...ak-postao-sampion-Bio-je-dzentlmen-i-kao-mali
I presume that's flowers and just a translation error :lol:

#511 ·
Heather Watson

Actress I would like to play me in a film: Kevin Hart dressed as a girl.
If I wasn’t a tennis player, I would be: In fashion or interior design.
I never travel to a tournament without: Rackets.
Favourite city on the tour: Melbourne.
Favourite restaurant on the tour: Any Japanese restaurant.
Favourite shop on the tour: Thorntons.
The last place I visited on holiday: Cancun with the family.
The last book I read: One Day by David Nicholls.
The last film I watched: Planet of the Apes.
The last album I listened to: Drake’s new album.
The last meal I cooked: Garlic prawns, my speciality.
The last joke I laughed at: Lee Evans stand-up set.
The last time I was recognized by a member of the public: The other day, when food shopping.
The last time I broke a racket: I’m not telling.
Grass, hard or clay? Hard.
Serena or Venus? Venus.
Roger, Rafa, Novak or Andy? Novak.
Hot or cold? Hot.
Sand or snow? Sand.
Be invisible or fly? Invisible.
If I won the lottery, I would: Throw a massive party.
http://www.thetennisspace.com/off-court/60-seconds-with-heather-watson/

60 seconds with Heather Watson... Found it refreshing that she picked Nole. Was looking at tweets from the British girls(Keothavong & Robson) during/after the final and they were all like "Rafa fan for life" etc. etc. So I was pleased when Heather picked Nole :p

#514 ·
Djokovic celebrity status faces new challenges

DUBAI: World number one Novak Djokovic may be entering new territory when he competes at this week's Dubai Open, his first tournament since his Australian Open triumph last month. Though Djokovic has won the Aussie title twice before, he has never previously received the level of celebrity which has been bestowed on him.

The Serbian has received his country's top state honour, the Order of the Karadjordje's Star of the 1st degree, from its president Boris Tadic. Djokovic also attended an unveiling of his own likeness in wax at the central Serbian town of Jagodina. And he has received the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year award in London.

The following day Djokovic was back in Belgrade, reportedly stressing that he is happy to represent Serbia "in a most beautiful way", after the "undeserved negative publicity it has had in recent years".

It all suggests that Djokovic is facing different challenges, off-court ones similar to those to which Roger Federer, the winner of a record number of Grand Slams, had for several years.

Djokovic's ability to cope with that, as well as with the fitness and competitive issues he has dealt with so superbly in the last 12 months, may influence how successful he is next week and throughout 2012.

A sign of his profound awareness of all this is that he has avoided all competitive tennis during the past four weeks, including Serbia's Davis Cup tie against Sweden in Nis.

"I'll be with my team mates with all my heart, but I won't go to Nis, because I plan something I haven't done in seven years - go skiing with friends on Kopaonik," Djokovic said, referring to Serbia's top ski resort.

The success of such relaxation may well play a significant part in Djokovic's ability to continue his sensational level of success during an Olympic year which will present more challenges than any before.

"I'm full of positive ambition, but it is early for us to realize what we have been through," he commented during one of his post-final press conferences in Australia.

"I was barely on my feet standing in the final set."

Djokovic also admitted that he is still learning how best to organize himself, how to control his emotions on and off the court, and how better to express himself to become an even more complete player.

The extent of these talents, and the completeness of his recovery, may be revealed if he were to meet Federer in next Saturday's final, as the seedings suggest. If Djokovic wins the Dubai Open again it will be a record fourth title in a row.

The 30-year-old Federer, who has just announced that he hopes to continue competing till the Olympic Games at Rio de Janeiro in 2016, has won four titles too but may want be to atone for last year's final.

Then he was overwhelmed by Djokovic, winning only six games, an early sign of the startling dominance which the Serb was about to impose upon the 2011 tour.

However in a field which contains eight of the world's top ten players, neither legend can be sure of making the final again

Djokovic has a likely semi-final with Andy Murray, the Scot who took him to a five-set semi of almost five hours in Australia, while Federer should play Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, the Frenchman who became the first player to beat him from two sets down, at Wimbledon seven months ago.

Other factors in a complicated equation may well be Juan Martin del Potro, the 2009 US Open champion from Argentina, who could meet Tsonga in the quarterfinals, and Mardy Fish, the top ten American, who should face Federer at the same stage.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/top-stories/Djokovic-celebrity-status-faces-new-challenges/articleshow/12040134.cms

#515 ·
Baghdatis confident of halting Djokovic's run

Dubai: Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis has promised to stand in the way of reigning three-time Dubai champion and world number one Novak Djokovic at the Dubai Duty Free Men's Open, which gets under way tomorrow.

"When I am in the tournament I don't see Novak winning," Baghdatis told Gulf News on the sidelines of the official draw held at the Majlis of the Dubai Tennis Stadium here yesterday.

"I am here to win and I don't care if he is there. I doubt he can win here this week, not when I am here at least."

Baghdatis, the son of a Lebanese who migrated to Cyprus and married a Greek-Cypriot woman, is one of the few colourful personalities on the men's ATP Tour. And he makes no apologies for it either.

"It's good to have one's own personality as it shows one's upbringing. I don't know if we need some more or not. You will have to ask the fans about that," Baghdatis said.

"Involving spectators is part of my personality and I am just doing something that comes to me naturally. It's the way I have grown up in life. And I would never change anything in the way I interact with the people.

"Novak is doing that very well and he is number one in the world. Anyway, I don't do it for the people, but I do it for me because it is nice to do it. I love tennis and that's the way I love to play the sport. And yes, it does motivate me a bit."
http://gulfnews.com/sport/tennis/baghdatis-confident-of-halting-djokovic-s-run-1.986250

#518 ·
Many questions are related to Nole, so I'll post it here.
*There seems to be some typos here and there.

DUBAI Feb 27th, Marko Djokovic (R1: A. GOLUBEV/M. Djokovic 6‑3, 6‑2)

Q. Was that another useful experience for you?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: Yes. It was a for me. Pleasant playing in Dubai in strong tournament with all the players which play here. I don't know the number, 8 of top 10.
I didn't give my best as I could do, but there was a lot of pressure and I tried. I was running as much as possible, even though I couldn't hit that good. So it was a really good experience, and hopefully...
Last year I had tough year. I got injured in the beginning. I start to play in challengers and all these tournaments stronger and improving a lot, and then I got injured in beginning of the January and I didn't play for ten months tennis at all. My wrist.
Now I'm starting back again, so hopefully my health, you know, and body will be good so I can improve and play here next year quallies without a wildcard.

Q. Is your wrist okay now?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: Yes, it's perfect. I had the surgery. I had a really tough time because I'm still young and I was thinking to go to college or not.
But now I know that I can play good tennis. Golubev played really good today, and I saw the quality of the tennis is not that far away from my tennis. Hopefully I can improve a lot.
I'm still young, so will be good to continue.

Q. What's the difference playing a guy like that and the sort of opponents that you've been playing in futures and challengers?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: Just, you know, tennis, everybody knows to play tennis. 500, they play really good tennis and everything, but it's just the mental toughness and physical as well.
On important points, you know, he served really good. He broke me when he needed to in first set. You can see the difference. You know, it's nothing ‑‑ it's not that different from futures tennis. Still a lot of players in futures which are playing really good tennis, top quality, but not mentally.
So just mentally when you get ready you can come to top hundred.

Q. Your brother was watching you today. Does it help? Does it contribute? Does he tell you anything before?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: Yes, of course. Of course to a brother like that is a privilege. He's helping me a lot with all the advices. He knows a lot about tennis, and he's trying to push me to go more and more, to improve, to not make mistakes that he made in that stage of his life, you know, his age. But, okay, we cannot compare. He was No. 3 already 20 years old.
But still, life experience and everything. So he's helping me a lot. We are in really good relation. We have one more younger brother who is also playing tennis. He's 16 years old.
So we're all pushing ourselves to go further.

Q. What did he tell you today before the match?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: Nothing. He just told me, Relax and play your best. It's important that I play my game. If I play my game, hopefully I will win. So it's nothing that you don't know.

Q. Are you staying with him this week?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: Yes. Yes, of course. I stayed last year with him, and here as well. He won the tournament, so hopefully this year as well.

Q. Yesterday Novak talked about being the first and the pressure that comes with being the brother of No. 1. Can you also talk about the pressures? How has life changed for you in the past year?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: It's tough to say, because there have been a lot of positive and negative things being his brother, you know. It's a lot positive. Financially, you know, I have all the needs and I can get all the coaches and all the practice I environment.
But negatives things, there are a lot of pressure. Everybody expects you to be as a brother, which is really tough to achieve. But I'm trying. I'm trying. I'm doing my best.
Past two years I forget about, you know. Just putting on side that he's my brother. He's my older brother and nothing else.
And I'm keeping with the pressure, so hopefully...

Q. When your father asked you to chose for your future, why did you pick tennis?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: I don't know. I was watching Novak. I remember already when he was six years old. I'm four year younger than him. He started playing tennis on the mountain. I was following him all these years, going to school as well, watching him, practicing next to him. He was my idol from when I was younger.
So I was always in tennis, and my younger brother as well. So we like it a lot. You know, it was my decision. It was nobody else.
My father told me, You can choose whatever you want to do in your life. It's your life.
I chose tennis.

Q. And your style is very similar. Is that because copied him all the way through?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: I don't know. I can't tell about my style. You can tell it.
But we practiced and had a lot of same coaches as well. I was practicing in Germany where he was practicing with Niki Pilic. When he was young as well I was practicing with his coach, so maybe that's why we have a similar style.
But the younger brother has a really similar style as he do as well, so maybe...

Q. Do you practice much with Novak?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: Yeah.

Q. Do you ever beat him?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: (Smiling.) Yeah, we play, you know, until 11, you know the balls, from tossing the balls. Because servers today, if I serve today there is no change to beat him, because today I was serving really not good. With these kind of players, top 100, it's tough to be without the serve.
But I'm trying to beat him. He's my brother, and watching him like that, always the things we do in life ‑ you know, playing PlayStation, football, basketball, all these things ‑ you're trying to, you know, to see who's better.
Doesn't matter if he's No. 1...

Q. Who's a better footballer? Who's a better PlayStation player?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: I'm more technology. Football, I can't say. Maybe he's going to get angry.

Q. But you beat him at PlayStation?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: Yeah.

Q. What about skiing?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: Yeah, skiing is after tennis maybe the same. I love skiing so much. My whole family was professional skiers, you know, and my father as well. I grew up on skis more than on tennis. I was choosing as well I can go to skiing, but I chose tennis.
Skiing for us is such an enjoyment because we grew up on this mountain and we skied together. We were going now. Before Dubai we were one week on this mountain and go together skiing. It was a great time to be back there, you know, because Novak didn't have time to go there, so...

Q. The physical condition of Novak is incredible. I'm wondering, do you use the similar training way? Are you also gluten‑free?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: I'm trying to get what is ‑‑you know, he is advising me about all these things, about gluten free, what to do in fitness. But we are trying to find the right ‑‑ because not everybody is different, you know. Maybe the things that he do doesn't fit to me, you know.
But we're trying to find a way, find exercises, and all these things for me.

Q. Do you find when you play people that they play harder against you because they want to say, I've beaten Djokovic?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: It was pretty funny. When I was younger, when Novak started, you know, 18, 19, when he started to go really good, going top 10, top 3 and I played under‑16, under‑14 tournaments, it was weird playing first round.
You know, there is only parents and coaches watching. And then on my match, I believe there were 100 people watching my match. So it was pretty tough in the beginning.
I got used to it somehow. Yeah, it was tough when I was younger, but now I got through it.

Q. Do you think people want to beat you more?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: Yeah, I don't know. Exactly I don't know. Maybe sometimes I have advantage because maybe they get scared. You know, Novak's brother. I have to beat him.
Like Golubev today, he started so‑so in beginning. I broke him. It depends.
But the futures, the level I start now, they're trying more. They're trying more. I played quallies and futures and was coming back from the injury, and was so tough. It was really tough. I had to fight for every point.
So this is big difference when they play against me and then when I see them playing against somebody else.

Q. When did you stop in Munich to work with Niki Pilic?
MARKO DJOKOVIC: When did I stop?

Q. When did you stop.
MARKO DJOKOVIC: I stop two or three years ago, three years ago. I was there for two years from 15 to 17; after that, I improved a lot, so I started working bit more with individual coach, then academy.

#519 ·
DUBAI Feb 27th, Novak Djokovic (R1: N. DJOKOVIC/C. Stebe 6‑4, 6‑2)

Q. He gave you a good work out, didn't he?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No, he definitely played well. I was impressed with his game, especially in the first set. He was hanging in there. I thought I served well when I needed to. He had some break balls.
It could have gone a different way really, because he was returning well. He was very aggressive on the baseline. You could feel that even though he's young and doesn't have much experience playing on the big stage, he really didn't care much. He went on the court wanting to win, and that's the right attitude, I think.

Q. So what's easier, playing a match yourself or sitting on the sidelines watching a younger brother?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I guess playing. (Laughing.) Really, playing, because at least I know what's going on. At least I can control the situations on the court.
But, yeah, it was different for me to sit courtside. Haven't done it really too much. I was happy for my brother to get a wildcard and play in this tournament. I want to take the tournament director and people in the organization of this event for giving us this opportunity and considering him for wildcard.
You know, he tried. Obviously he's not at this level yet, but he's getting in there. I think it's a useful experience for him. He's been struggling a lot with injuries. He had a surgery for the wrist that kept him away for the last year and a half.
In the end, he has to face this, I guess, pressure in a way for having Djokovic surname. All over the world where he plays tennis, I guess he has to face this pressure that is not necessary for him at this age.
It's his burden, and he's very committed. He wants to succeed in tennis. But everybody obviously has a different path. We have a younger brother who is 16 years old who is coming up, so hopefully they can become world class players.

Q. Did you almost coach him today?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I didn't do it on the court because I will get fined for that obviously, which would be funny to get fined for coaching.
But I did talk to him a lot. You know, obviously he's my brother, younger brother, and I try to advise him on everything in the life, and especially around tennis, to make his life a little bit easier and to give him certain directions in which he can take, which he can go to.
But yet again, I have to say it's hard because the people compare him to me. In all his junior tournaments and all these years that he's been playing tennis he's been compared to me when I was that age. It's absolutely different.
So he's trying to fight I think with his mind more than really with the game. So I think as soon as he manages to control his thoughts and, you know, focus on his own career, I think he's going to be good. He has potential obviously, and it's in the blood.

Q. Says he can beat you at PlayStation.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: We'll see tonight. (Smiling.)

Q. Has he asked your advice on girls as well?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: For that I have to ask him. Trust me, I have to ask him for that. So let's keep it to that. (Laughter.)

Q. A little bit of rust today in the first set? You have not played for a couple weeks.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, but to be honest, I was really happy throughout the whole match the way I played. I really didn't have much downs in the game. He made me play it. You know, he gave me good rhythm and went for his shots and made a lot of winners. Credit to him.
But from my side, I think I was not making a lot of unforced errors and really serving well when I needed to. So I'm happy with the first match after four weeks definitely.

Q. When you look at what you achieved last year, Novak, do you ever think to yourself sometimes, It's not going to be until early June that I can do anything better than I did last year?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, you know, people talk about that obviously, and I'm expecting that. But to be honest, I'm not really comparing 2012 with 2011. I'm not comparing any year with another year, because I think year is different.
I want to have this positive mindset on the court that is going to kind of keep me away from unnecessary pressure that I already have as No. 1 in the world and as a top player, somebody that's expected to win in most of the matches.
The last year was amazing. Definitely best year of my career. If you ask me if I can repeat it, I don't know. It's going to be very, very hard obviously.
But I'm trying to go for the trophy like everyone else. I try to be hunting for the trophy, not the hunted one. I'm not trying to defend. So I think this is the right mindset.
When I'm stepping on the court, I want to be playing my game and going for the shots. I think I been handling it quite well for now.

Q. When you've come to though sort of mindset, did you consult with a psychologist or just the people around you?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I don't have a psychologist; I never did. But I have the people around me that I trust and that I talk to a lot.
Luckily for me, those people really love me and want me to do well. They always try to, you know, give me something to think about. I always seek for improvement, for perfection, as I think everybody else, and I rely on their advice.

Q. At the beginning of the year you met Diego Maradona in Abu Dhabi. Do you have any contact with him?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yes.

Q. You plan to meet him here?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yes, I'm planning. Obviously his scheduling has to be right. Hopefully he can come maybe even tomorrow.

Q. Have you called him or has he called you?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Not for now, no. Actually I'm going to give him a call tomorrow. Let's see. He usually has practices in the evening with the team.
It was quite an amazing experience. We played some tennis, football, some tennis, some football as well. We beat my brother and his coach easy. (Smiling.)
Well, of course I had a big advantage playing with the best ever football player.

Q. Do you feel when you come onto the court these days there is a completely different buzz about it compared with 12 months ago? If you do feel that, do you like it?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Of course I like it. Of course I enjoy my new position and everything I have achieved so far in my career, especially in the last year and a half. I mean, I'm proud of all the results, and I know that the results are there for a reason.
I been working really hard. I know since I was four years old I been dedicated to this sport, as most of top players that been playing this sport forever, always seeking to be the best in what we do.
It's really nice stepping out on the court and seeing a full stadium and having a lot of support. I'm very flattered.

Q. You talk about the expectancy and hype around Marko, but there is also quite a lot hype being made about your younger brother, Djordje.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah.

Q. Is it even harder upon him at his tender age, four years younger than Marko, to live up to the expectations? And how is his career progressing?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: That's what I talked about just now. They haven't matured. They had to face that kind of pressure now even more, but that kind of pressure already five years ago when I became a top‑10 player. Obviously they got more attention back in Serbia because they spend most of the time there.
You know, five years ago Marko was only 15, 16; Djordje was 10. At that age you're not still matured mentally. You have to face that and you have to see five to ten people watching your practices and you're wondering what for, you know.
So it is something that they're carrying on their backs. But, look, everybody has a different life. Everybody has a different way. You just have to try to find a way to cope with that.
They're doing better. You know, obviously Djordje now got used to it a little bit more. They are spending a little bit maybe more time now outside of Serbia, which gives them maybe a little bit more freedom to improve.
So let's see what happens.

#520 ·
I am the hunter, says Novak Djokovic By Robin Chatterjee

Novak Djokovic is a man on a mission and he wants the tremors of his exploits to be felt across the world

If you ever get a little glimpse into Novak Djokovic's world of wild and implausible possibilities then be prepared to accept that it is resolve and not skill that pushes you ahead; spirit and not serve that eventually propels you to the top of the mountain.

A word of caution: don't dream of climbing that mountain. Give yourself smaller, realistic, short-term goals. The space at the summit is small, it is occupied by Djokovic and he has taken out a long term lease on it.

Despite living in the rarified heights of men's tennis Djokovic is an everyman. He does not live in a parallel universe but in ours. True, not all of us are capable of playing tennis matches for five hours on one day and six hours the next, but the core of Djokovic proves that he is one of us. He makes ordinary people believe that they can do what he has done or, better still, what he plans to do further.

You never get the feeling that he is hallucinating when he puts his life and career in perspective in the dimly lit player's dining room at the Aviation Club. Djokovic has just come off the courts after a successful first round match; given his opponent his due; admitted that his younger brother Marko would have to find a way to step out of the elder's shadow; had a massage; a shower; dinner; some fruit and then proceeds to fold his hands in front of his face, as if in prayer, before stating that the reason for his forceful influence in the world of men's tennis is a combination of hard work and destiny.

Djokovic makes a mockery of the notion that you can't make it on the ATP Tour if you haven't studied the Western grip while your mother was pushing you in the pram, or even prepared to sacrifice your pre-pubescent days trying to get a toehold in the world's top tennis clinics, where swami like teachers espouse every factoid in the game; charge obscene amounts of cash and have pupils holding them in reverential awe.

No. Djokovic and his family stayed indoors instead, at their family home in Serbia, and waited for the Nato jets to finish unloading tonnes of explosives in and around Belgrade during daily sorties — at the height of the conflict in the 1990s. When there was a welcome, but troubled silence outside someone, usually his mother, or father queried, ‘Tennis anyone?" and then they stepped out to practice. They don't teach you that at Harry Hopman, or Nick Bollettieri.

Nothing to lose

How can you win against someone who, after facing this kind of pressure in his formative years, has steeled his mind and body into believing that he has everything to win and nothing to lose. Who believes that his success is pre-ordained?

"I always had the highest goals," said Djokovic, his hands still folded as though he was in confession. "I want to be the best in whatever I do. I wanted to win many Grand Slams, especially Wimbledon which was always in my dreams, and I achieved it in a year's time. So I am grateful for this and I feel blessed that I had the opportunity and grabbed it when it was presented.

"I believe that everything in life happens for a reason," he continued, his eyes focusing sharply, searching for every relevant phrase. "The reason I did what I did in 2011 was written down already by the Almighty, but on the other hand I think that I worked very hard for it. I always believed in what I could do. I always believed in my qualities and when you make the commitments you get the outcome."

Djokovic loves tennis, but just not at the expense of everything else. He can sing you a song on a karaoke machine; he can try and rap like Ice-Cube; he can dance like there's no tomorrow; he can mimic some of his more sober peers on the Tour; he can even say ‘yes' to a movie part, if it is offered to him — like the Expendables 2; and to ensure that there is a certain amount of symmetry in his world he will step out and crush you ruthlessly on the tennis court.

Small wonder that he is the toast of the Tour. The everybodies and even the somebodies who are into public relations; tennis coaching; man-management; mind management; physiotherapy; personal training and financial planning wants to be part of Djokovic's world. But he is content to surround himself with those he loves and those who love him, unconditionally, in return. It is a unique situation for a top sportsman to be in — to be surrounded only by those who love.

There is a reason for this and it makes sense to Djokovic. "I can't speak for the others but I would agree that somehow you expect that with the success you have and the attention that you get, more and more people want to be attached to your success and get benefits from it. I have been fortunate, however, to be surrounded with people I love especially since I began to play tennis.

"In Serbia I nurtured my friendships for a long time because I was aware of the times that would come if I became the best tennis player in the world then I would need their support; that I would need their stability; their advice and their criticism.

"I am happy with the way it is now. These people have been a big part of my success — my family, my friends, my girlfriend and my team. It is important to keep a balance between your personal and professional life. You must build relationships that provide a clear mind before you step on to the courts to do your job."

The stats don't lie. Djokovic has had a pretty good year at the office since 2011. It was a year when his racket acted like a branding iron, burning its mark into the psyche of everyone who came in his way. It seemed like he was in a hurry to play, just like in the days of his childhood when the jets finished their bombing runs and went back to base for a refuelling session, forcing him to come out and whack the ball across the courts in the Partizan Tennis Club in Old Belgrade. Thus began the fashioning of a champion.

Djokovic's tennis isn't the prettiest. He disguises the fact that he has elegance, skill, timing and courtcraft but he demonstrates his strength, pace and a competitive streak — when the strain gets unable to bear, he enforces his will on you.

"I always seek for perfection and improvement," he endorsed. "Even though I am at the peak of my career, I believe that I can improve. That's the beauty of sport. You can always do better. Of course, you have to be satisfied with the results and whatever you have achieved as a professional athlete but you know at the back of your mind that constant improvement is what keeps you going to the practice grounds everyday."

The feverish will to win and a unique fitness regime replaced an earlier conditioning that could at best be termed as spotty. Before 2011, Djokovic was a work in progress this year, however, everyone wants to test his mettle and temperament. Determined to prove that last year was no fluke he is neurotically attentive to detail. "He is like a robot," testified fellow professional Leander Paes, while picking through his plate of fried noodles and salmon, "he is fastidious to detail before and after every match. He has his programmes and goes through it with dedication. I am not surprised at his success."

There are others on the Tour, however, who still believe that when coming face-to-face with him there might be a chance, albeit a small one. Being No 1 means that you are the man to beat, but Djokovic waives aside the fact that he is the ‘hunted one' by providing an argument of his own.

"I don't want to believe that I am the hunted one. I am the hunter," he declared. "That's my attitude: to always be one of the players who is hunting for the trophy. I take every tournament as a new one and I refuse to allow it to be compared to the past ones. That's the mindset that allows me to perform at my best. It allows me to play in the aggressive style that is characteristic of me. This way I never feel the pressure of defending a title."

Being resolute for long periods is not always possible, especially for an ascending star. Djokovic constantly tries to fortify his mind by upgrading it with mental security systems that no opponent can penetrate. He becomes the Tour's definition of Darth Vader revelling in walks on the dark side.

"Professional deformation," he stated laughing at the alteration. "That's what I call it. It's good to be mentally aware and ready for what's going on around you. As I said, a right balance is the formula for my life and me. Being able to perform at my best, understand my commitments, understand the game and the profession, but at the same time stay dedicated, have fun and express my emotions without changing my personality. I have been trying to retain my personality even though I have been monitored from both good and bad angles. I always try to be who I am."

There is evidence of self-absorption, but there is proof of a good logic for that. It lies in Djokovic's competitive streak. He has never hoped for something to happen. Rather, he has believed that it will happen. "Belief is a word that is more common to me," he admitted, "Even more than hope. Because one should always believe in order to realise one's dreams. Believe that anything is possible."

In the top flight world of competitive tennis where every word uttered, every confession made, every advice sought can lead to giving the opponent an advantage Djokovic also comprehends the merits of keeping his own counsel. There is occasional communication and consultation with his peers like Nadal and Federer, but ultimately economy of thought and action rules the day.

"Roger, Rafa and me do talk to each other on issues," maintained Djokovic. "We respect each other a lot, but it's really hard to communicate with somebody who is your biggest rival. I believe that we have a great amount of respect for each other and for what we have achieved. Each of us is modest, self aware and composed and this is good for the sport. It's good to have people who are educated, successful, but modest and well presented in public."

Someone once philosophised that with great power comes great responsibility. Today Serbia rides on the wave of an energy that Djokovic releases across the world as its global ambassador. He is the world's most dominant sportsman and relishes the expectations of his fellow Serbians.

"Look, I think that life is as simple as you accept it to be," he offered. "Sometimes it can be difficult, but there's always a choice of what you want to do, how you want to do it and what you want to be a part of. I have been representing my country for the past couple of years since I have been at the top of men's tennis. I have a lot of young kids who follow me and they are significantly important to me. I always try and dedicate my time to the kids because there are tough times so one must be conscious of imparting the values and opportunities to help children realise their dreams.

"Being an athlete who is an ambassador for his country I carry this responsibility and I must confess that I enjoy it. Not many people can claim that they have their country behind their back and that they can represent it in the best possible way around the world. Everywhere I go the Serbian flag is next to my name. People are interested in my country, that has gone through a lot in the past 20 years: wars, economic crisis, political issues, but it is getting better and you can feel that more and more people are getting interested in Serbia through the medium of sport: tennis, waterpolo, handball, basketball… we have achieved international success. So athletes like me feel an obligation in representing their country everywhere we go. It's a good thing."

A sign of Djokovic's rising equity is visible in tennis courts all over the world — he is bringing in the crowds. It was the same in Dubai where the stands were packed and loyal fans chanted his name as he strode across centre court and thronged for his autograph as he walked out.

Goading him along from one accomplishment to another is his family. The entourage is clearly visible, living and dying with every point he wins, or loses. They have invested much in his success, across multiple platforms, therefore it is fitting that they never miss a moment in the maturing of Novak Djokovic.

"My parents live through the emotions of every point when they watch me play," he admitted. "It's like they are playing themselves! In a way it's normal to expect that because they are parents and we feel their love, their support and their stress as well. It's up to us to adjust and use it in a good way. My parents allowed me to become what I am and realise my dreams."

At some point of time when the pistons pumping his indefatigable engine slow down and the passion in his tennis will have successfully beaten back the spectres of Nadal, Federer and Andy Murray, Djokovic might permit himself the luxury of thinking how important he is in the context of Serbia. He has the power to shape minds, policies and futures?

His answer mirrors his self belief. "Sport has tremendous power, not just in Serbia but across the world. I think that athletes don't even realise the extent of this power and how strong a message they are capable of sending to people. You learn how to believe in what you do; to work towards realizing your dreams; there is no cheating or corruption, and you have to do it all by yourself.

"It's all in your hands, especially if you want to become somebody in this world. So I am aware of the message that sports sends out through the athletes of our small country."

Novak Djokovic is determined to do great things. It is the sole ambition of the everyman. It is evident that despite his chosen profession he will never retreat inside the tennis bubble. Tennis could be the means to an end, but time will tell. His goals will be revised but never forgotten. There is always that never ending upward journey, that feverish necessity to be on top of every project that he sets out to finish.

Sometimes the times pick people out for greatness, but sometimes it's the people who pick the times.