Mens Tennis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mardy Fish Withdraws From US Open

18K views 166 replies 103 participants last post by  Kat_YYZ 
#1 ·
#85 ·
No word yet on the reason for the withdraw. Most recent news says nothing as to why.

NEW YORK (AP) -- American Mardy Fish has pulled out of his fourth-round match against Roger Federer at the U.S. Open because of "health reasons."
Tournament officials did not immediately provide further details Monday on Fish's ailment. The 30-year-old missed about two months this season because of an accelerated heartbeat and had a medical procedure in May.
His third-round match against Gilles Simon went five sets, lasting more than 3 hours and ending after 1 a.m. Sunday.
Afterward, the 23rd-seeded Fish did not appear at a news conference. Tournament officials said he was getting treatment, but didn't give any specifics.
The top-ranked Federer reaches his 34th consecutive Grand Slam quarterfinal.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/20120903/mardy-fish-withdraws-us-open/#ixzz25Qffd23S

#132 ·
#88 ·
Federer's never ending luck

#105 ·
Federer's never ending luck

And the legendary OP from another thread

I believe that Federer will fall in 2010. Down the rankings. I think the game iscatching up to him, he is now vulnerable to players like Benneteau and Verdasco. Meanwhile Del Potro is now a force, Djokovic is coming back strongly and we all Nadal will vamos back next year after he is properly rested. I hate it but Murray will also be a factor. Plus players like Davydenko are suddenly playing better than before. Plus they might be a breakout player next year that we don't know yet.

Federer himslef. His game has gone down a bit, just enough for the younger generation to catapult over him. Federer has enough game to stay competitive in masters. He will focus on the Slams. He will go deep in a few. But I am confiendt he will fail to win one next year.

All this equals Federer falling down to 5 or 6 in the rankings at the conslusion of 2010. and then the question is, will he be ready to play as the 5 or 6 player for 2011.
Spot - on. Federer will fall.

#106 ·
I hope Fish doesn't have a serious problem but the fact that no details have been disclosed is worrisome. It is also unfortunate for tennis fans who were looking forward to an entertaining match. The Cincy match was great from both players.

I've been watching pro tennis since the 60s and I've never heard any pro player bitch and moan about a draw. No matter who they support, all MTF posters who complain about draws are clowns.

#118 ·
It seems because he didn't even go to his presser after his last match, that it was critical to get hospital treatment immediately --- not like most sport injuries --- and makes the heart issue more of a candidate. In case it is the arrhythmia again, here is some info about it.

He had a cardiac ablation for his arrhythmia earlier this year, but it may not be a complete cure:
Mardy says he is still nervous about the condition coming back. Cardiac ablations are only 75 to 80 percent effective on the first go-around. Depending upon how things proceed, he may yet need another one. The procedure itself is less than 20 years old, and much of the long-range data is still being compiled.

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/capitalcomment/sports/mardy-fishs-cardiovascular-health-scare.php
Btw, from Mayo Clinic website: "Cardiac ablation uses catheters — long, flexible tubes inserted through a vein in your groin and threaded to your heart — to correct structural problems in your heart that cause an arrhythmia. Cardiac ablation works by scarring or destroying tissue in your heart that triggers an abnormal heart rhythm."

Sounds a little hit-or-miss to this layman.

#128 ·
All the best to Mardy. his health is far more importnt than a tennis match.

In regards to Fed if he uses up all this luck now maybe there will be none left for the qfs/Sfs? :p

#129 ·
poor Mardy! :sad: It's bad enough to have the heart problem but all the interviews I've read indicate he's really freaked out about it. On the one hand I can totally understand Fish's anxiety over this health problem -- but on the other hand the anxiety itself is harmful.

#131 ·
Shit. One of the few times that I can watch RF at a decent hour here in Europe... and he gets a walkover. :sad:

It will also hurt his chances against betdych, and it will obviously be a night session match. Will Fed get to Super Saturday? Hope so...

#133 ·
Sounds like stress and depression :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.