Mens Tennis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilles Simon's Chat Thread #1

203K views 5K replies 138 participants last post by  *Raine 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Does anyone know him ? :confused:
I saw him play in Marseille last week, and even if he lost (but it was vs J.Johansson) I thought he played quite good. So, if you have information about this player...
Maryse

#2 ·
Re: Gilles Simon

I only know that he do a good beginning season because he won Noumea challenger (first week on january) before many french players. Now he plays on Cherbourg challenger. He won the first round 7-5, 6-3 against an other french Marc Gicquel. I think we don't know him because he a newcomer he has only 20 years. I see that he play sometimes in double with Monfils like in Marseille and Cherbourg.

#4 · (Edited)

From ATP Website:

Birthdate: 12/27/1984
Birthplace: Nice, France
Residence: Fontenay-sous-Bois, France
Height: 5'11'' (180 cm)
Weight: 143 lbs (65 kg)
Plays: Right-handed
Turned Pro: 2002

Previous Year's Final INDESIT ATP Race Position: 262
Current INDESIT ATP Race Position: 147

2005 HIGHLIGHTS
Singles Winner: Noumea Quarterfinalist: Besancon, Sunrise

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45705&stc=1

#7 ·

I only just spotted Gilles last week, at TMS Cincy, but he is the cutest thing ever! So skinny, but I suppose he's still growing, and he has the prettiest blue eyes. He seems very shy, particularly compared to the other outgoing French boys (he looked completely embarrassed at the attention when he was applauded as he came on court for his matches), but he was very friendly when I approached him for a photo.

Plus, he's good! He played the qualies but didn't have much trouble there, and went on to beat Spadea in the first round. He lost to Carlos Moya in the second, but that was a great match! Although it only went two sets, he really pushed Carlos around.

I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on him!

Oh, and maybe some of the French can help me with the proper way to pronounce his name. I called him "Jeel", but the announcers said either "Jiles", or "Guille". Was I wrong?

#8 ·

Eclectic Goddess said:
I only just spotted Gilles last week, at TMS Cincy, but he is the cutest thing ever! So skinny, but I suppose he's still growing, and he has the prettiest blue eyes. He seems very shy, particularly compared to the other outgoing French boys (he looked completely embarrassed at the attention when he was applauded as he came on court for his matches), but he was very friendly when I approached him for a photo.

Plus, he's good! He played the qualies but didn't have much trouble there, and went on to beat Spadea in the first round. He lost to Carlos Moya in the second, but that was a great match! Although it only went two sets, he really pushed Carlos around.

I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on him!

Oh, and maybe some of the French can help me with the proper way to pronounce his name. I called him "Jeel", but the announcers said either "Jiles", or "Guille". Was I wrong?
Yeah. He made progress it seems. I was surprised by the scoreline of his match against Moya 7-6, 7-5. It kind of scared me as i wanted Moyà to win. But you have to bear in mind Moya is not at his best and slowly regaining form after his shoulder injury...Yet, if he played well that's a good thing for him. I don't know his style of play since i've never seen him play yet.
You were the only one who got the pronounciation of his name right. It's "Jeel". Another skinny French player saved by his eyes in front of those who pay attention to the players' looks... He's seeded 8 in the USO quallies and will play the Peruvian Ivan Miranda in the first round.
;)

#11 ·

Gilles Simon was defeated by I. Miranda 6-4 4-6 7-5 in the first round of the USO qualies. :( He was seeded #2...
He was 5-3 down in the 3rd but broke back to 5-5 and then get broken again...very frustrating! :mad:

#12 · (Edited)

I also know Gilles I mean I've seen him in Poland at the challenger...he was really nice and even after he lost his match he agreed to say sth to my camera :D but I told him to say in french and now I can't understand :bigcry: .... could anybod help me please :D I can send this short spot through mail box or put it online......if I'll find out how to do this:p *stupid me* :D

ooh and there are some photos I took during the challenger :D
http://photobucket.com/albums/b107/cohka0/Gilles/?start=all

#14 ·

Oh, I almost forgot to post my photos from Cincinnati. Better late than never, I suppose. These are just a few of my favorites, I actually took a lot more.

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)

Gilles has just won a challenger in Nouméa! :) He has beaten De Voest 6/2 5/7 6/2. :worship:
Great start of the year!

#18 ·

My friend and I have been following him during the Quallies today and yesterday- he beat Parmar yesterday and Todd Reid today.

He is SOOOO cute....we got a photo with him ;) He's so so so so cute and he seems really nice. Hope he gets into the main draw so we can see him more!

#22 ·

He plays tomorrow in third match (local time)
Court 8 Start Time 11.00 AM

Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Lars Burgsmuller (GER)
vs. Rainer Schuettler (GER)

followed by
Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Emmanuelle Gagliardi (SUI)
vs. Galina Voskoboeva (RUS)

Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Gilles Simon (FRA)
vs. Nicolas Massu (CHI)

Good luck Gilles :worship:

#23 ·

Gilles along with Moya are the only two worth seeing in the bottom half imo. It'll be a really tough match against Massu....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.