Mens Tennis Forums banner

The Bernard Tomic Cheering Thread!

294K views 3K replies 155 participants last post by  Sombrerero loco 
#1 · (Edited)
Making a thread on Bernard Tomic as he makes his junior Grand Slam debut at the 2007 aussie open.

Congrats Bernard, he has made major strides in the last two years. Some beleive he is ahead of Lleyton Hewitt at the same age.

I suspect him to turn pro in the next two years and be playing Davis Cup not long after.

Tomic Bio:

Birth Date: 21/10/1992
Birth Place: Stuttgart, Germany
Residence: Gold Coast, Australia
Nationality: Australia
Weight: 55kg
Plays: Right Handed (Double Handed Backhand)
Favourite Surface: Grass
Coach: -
Age Started Tennis: 7
Personal Interests: Soccer, table tennis, basketball

#4 ·
Re: The "Bernard Tomic" Cheering Thread!

Thanks Matchu for starting this thread, i read an article about Bernard from my local tennis magazine...
:lol: his parents come from Germany

he is cute.
lol as does he, he was born in Stuttgart but I don't start thinking he will play for Germany, He wants to play Davis Cup for Australia he has said and wants to be the youngest ever to play for Aussie.

And as I'm aware he also has Croatian roots.

I'm very anxicous to see how he handles a Junior Grand Slam.

#8 ·

Bernard played a warm up tournament in Melbourne a couple of days ago,
defeated Peerakit Siributwong of Thailand 6-3 6-3, but was defeated at the hands of the world number 12 Matteo Trevisan of Italy 6-4 6-3.

Thats a good result coming into a Grand Slam against a top 20 player.

#12 ·

Hey You know him a lot.

I just read an article about him, i can not find the magainze recently, when i found it i will take a pic for it, but it is in Chinese.
I've been following his career for a while now about 2 years as we both live in the Gold Coast. I entered a tournament a couple of years ago and Bernard was the number 1 seed and won the final 6-0 6-0.

Anyway that would be great if you could put some pics up of the magazine article, maybe we could get a Chinese person on this forum to translate for us.

#18 ·

It is a hard job, but I try to do it well
The title is “Another Aussie Rabbit” (coz we call Llyton “Rabbit”, I don’t know why)

“have you seen Tomic played? Tell me something about him, if you have seen him play.” “ I played with him two years ago, 6-0,6-0, the poor guy was me, haha, but it was fine, I thought he would be the world No.1 in the future.”

“What’s his style? Some one said he was the second Llyton.” “ he isn’t the strongest child, but he moves fast. His service isn’t good, but his volley is amazing. Oh Yep, Tomic plays with his brain.”

This comes from an Aussie tennis forums. The Guy they are talking about is called Bernard Tomic, is a new star of Aussie. He is only 14, but he is the best player of the kids who were born after 1992.

For the people who is out of Australia, Tomic is just a kid who came suddenly in 2007. Before this Fab, he wasn’t ranked on ITF. But only in one year, he won 4 titles and ranked 161 on 18-. This Mar. 24th, IMG signed Tomic, they called him The Mozart of Tennis Court.

Bernard was born on 1992, 21th Oct, in Stuttgart. Daddy John was a football coach and his mother was a biologist. 1995, they moved to Australia, his mother spent most of her time on lab, his father became a taxi driver. When he was 7, daddy brought him a tennis racket from a second hand market, it only cost 55 cents. Tomic came into tennis world with his father’s help and this 55 cents racket.

sorry for the mistakes in my English :lol:

#21 ·

It is a hard job, but I try to do it well
The title is “Another Aussie Rabbit” (coz we call Llyton “Rabbit”, I don’t know why)

“have you seen Tomic played? Tell me something about him, if you have seen him play.” “ I played with him two years ago, 6-0,6-0, the poor guy was me, haha, but it was fine, I thought he would be the world No.1 in the future.”

“What’s his style? Some one said he was the second Llyton.” “ he isn’t the strongest child, but he moves fast. His service isn’t good, but his volley is amazing. Oh Yep, Tomic plays with his brain.”

This comes from an Aussie tennis forums. The Guy they are talking about is called Bernard Tomic, is a new star of Aussie. He is only 14, but he is the best player of the kids who were born after 1992.

For the people who is out of Australia, Tomic is just a kid who came suddenly in 2007. Before this Fab, he wasn’t ranked on ITF. But only in one year, he won 4 titles and ranked 161 on 18-. This Mar. 24th, IMG signed Tomic, they called him The Mozart of Tennis Court.

Bernard was born on 1992, 21th Oct, in Stuttgart. Daddy John was a football coach and his mother was a biologist. 1995, they moved to Australia, his mother spent most of her time on lab, his father became a taxi driver. When he was 7, daddy brought him a tennis racket from a second hand market, it only cost 55 cents. Tomic came into tennis world with his father’s help and this 55 cents racket.

sorry for the mistakes in my English :lol:
Thanks for trying I can understand it.

#19 · (Edited)

Friday 19 Janurary 2007
Bernard wants to be No 1
Herald Sun

Much has been written about the 14-year-old Bernard Tomic, and his amazing tennis potential.

The young Aussie is a big prospect and yesterday was awarded $10,000 by Garnier to further his career.

Tomic grew up on the Gold Coast, and seems very mature. "I want to be No 1 in the world, and win all grand slams and play Davis Cup for Australia," he told The Eye at the Garnier Girls Day Out breakfast at Melbourne Park.

For most 14-year-olds getting up in front of a large audience and talking would be very intimidating, but Tomic showed that he was different.

"It's fine, I'm used to it," he said of the attention. The female winner of the award was 15-year-old Isabella Holland.

She looked as much like a Home and Away star as a tennis player, so, like Tomic, is very marketable. Both players will contest the Australian Open juniors title, which starts next week.
Good to see bernard handles the media well.

#23 ·

Cahill looking at the next aussie star

Darren Cahill has been unemployed as far as coaching goes since the retirement of the legendary Andre Agassi after the 2006 US Open.

Cahill knows what it takes to bring players to the top of professional tennis with the experience of coaching Lleyton Hewitt and Andre Agassi while holding the number 1 spot respectively.

Aussie prodigy Bernard Tomic doesn't lack confidence. Without a smirk, he has in the past declared his ambition is to be world no. 1.

In a recent interveiw with Inside Sport magazine, he said "I still have to find the serve of Ivanisevic and groundstrokes of Federer. I'm halfway there with the mind of Sampras. I've already got the heart of Lleyton."

Well, now the 14-year-old is getting some big-name help as well. He was spotted yesterday hitting up on an outside court with respected coach Darren Cahill, former mentor to Hewitt and Agassi.
Wow Cahill helping out Tomic he could be huge with him.

#24 ·

Bernard Tomic has drawn number 6 seed Jose Roberto Velasco of Bolivia scheduled to be played on monday. Bernard's Quarter of the draw looks good if he can get through his first round match the Draw opening up quite nicely for Bernard to make Quarters.

Bernard's Quarter of the draw

Roman Jebavy CZE (3)
vs.
Stephen Donald AUS

Vladimir Zinyakov RUS
vs.
Daniel Cox GBR

Krishananth Balakrishnan AUS
vs.
Hiroki Moriya JPN

Dylan Sessagesimi SUI
vs.
Gastao Elias POR (15)

Ricardas Berankis LTU (10)
vs.
Troy Smith AUS

Soong-Jae Cho KOR
vs.
Mateusz Kecki USA

Kevin Botti FRA
vs.
Rupesh Roy IND

Bernard Tomic AUS
vs.
Jose Roberto Velasco BOL (6)

#25 · (Edited)

Janurary 21st of 2007
A Tomic weapon is ready to blast off
By Paul Malone

Gold Coast tennis phenomenon Bernard Tomic will make his long-awaited Grand Slam junior debut this week, but his graduation to ATP ranks is some time off.

The wraps come off Tomic, 14, at the highest level of his junior game when he becomes the youngest to play as a direct qualifier in the Australian Open junior boys singles at Melbourne Park, starting today.

Tomic has a raging ambition to win Grand Slam titles and become world no.1 while still a teenager, a goal he set for himself publicly soon after he won the first of his two titles at the prestigious Orange Bowl in Florida in December, 2004.

Junior tennis judges say Tomic exhibits much of the determination and cockiness on court of a young Lleyton Hewitt, with his double-handed backhand and matchplay knowledge at a standard beyond his years.

Bit Tomic's father John, his coaches in Queensland and his International Management Group agent are mindful of the cautionary tale surrounding the much-hype American Donald Young.

Young, now 17, won the 2005 Australian Open junior title as the youngest champion in its history, but did not have the physical maturity to make use of the ATP tour wild cards offered to him by tournament organisers.

Young's tennis has plateaued to the point where his ATP win-loss record is 0-10 and it was only this month that he won his first senior tournament on the futures circuit.

Tomic would be 15 years and four months if he tried to play qualifying for next year's Australian Open men's singles or seek a Tennis Australia wild card for it.

There has also been promise for Australian tennis in the performances in the past year from Sydney 17-year-old Greg Jones and Perth 17-year-old Bryden Klein.And Brisbane 14-year-old Isabella Holland has been rated by TA development cheif Craig Tiley a potential top-20 player.

Jones is ranked No.6 in the world 18-and-under rankings and reached yesterday's final of the Optus Nottinghill International in Melbourne.

Hewitt had been 15 and 11 months when he qualified for the Australian Open and a year older when he won his first ATP title, beating Andre Agassi.

Th interest in Tomic's Grand Slam debut was rated last week by Allan Stone, the former Davis Cup player and seasoned television commentator, as making for the most pressure ever on a young Australian given this country's age of 25 ranked in the top 250.

"What sets Bernard apart is he reads the points with a maturity beyond his years and is a mutlt-dimentional player already," said former Queensland Academy of Sport head coach Geoff Masters, who had been assisting John Tomic and Neil Guiney.

"There's a lot of excitement surronding Bernard, but the people around him have always taken a long-term view. "His dad is a prolific reader of (coaching books) and of sports psychology and he is doing a great job with his tennis and wants the best for Bernard."
Bernard is getting a lot of help.

#27 ·

Bernard won his first round of the 2007 Junior Australian Open he beat 17 year old and world number 7 Jose-Roberto Velasco 6-2 4-1 ret.

Well done Bernard beating a top 10 player is quite an acheivment. He next faces world number 48 Kevin Botti who got through his first round in three sets.

Good Luck Bernard, perfect start to the tournament.

#30 ·

A-Tomic weathers glare of spotlight
By Courtney Walsh
January 23, 2007

TEENAGE prodigy Bernard Tomic got an insight yesterday into just how desperate Australia is to find a new champion of the courts.

The Gold Coast 14-year-old, long touted as Australia's next baseline star, is no stranger to headlines, but even he seemed surprised at the hype generated by his debut Open appearance in the juniors event.

A crowd of almost 400 people watched him make light work of sixth seed Jose Roberto Velasco of Bolivia. On nearby courts, only a few fans watched former stars Pat Cash and Mark Woodforde creak around in a warm-up for the Legends tournament.

But it was the post-match press conference, a rarity in junior events, that was even more bewildering.

Tomic's five-minute chat was attended by 23 journalists, including a handful of international correspondents.

In contrast, Russian star Svetlana Kuznetsova, a former US Open champion and world No.3 on the senior Tour, was lonely discussing her loss on Sunday to just one reporter.

"I'm kind of (shocked by the interest)," Tomic said. "It is something to get used to. This is the first time I've done (anything) like this (but) I don't mind. It's a good way to express myself."

The spotlight was always going to be on Tomic, regardless of the failure of any of his senior colleagues to reach the second week.

That is what happens when you have your own Wikipedia (online encyclopaedia) entry and have already been signed by a leading sports marketing agency.

IMG pounced on the Nike-sponsored teen when he won his second Junior Orange Bowl in Florida, an event won by some handy players including Roger Federer, Tomic's tennis hero.

That is not to discount Lleyton Hewitt, on whom Tomic modelled his game as a pre-teen.

While the 181cm youngster, who has grown 8cm over the past year, showed many Hewitt traits yesterday, it was hard to glean just how promising he is.

Tomic did not exactly toy with Velasco, but he could have if he wished, such was the standard of the Bolivian's game.

The 17-year-old has played Davis Cup for his country but was obviously out of sorts yesterday, struggling badly before retiring hurt trailing 6-2 4-1.

Tomic, who displayed great touch at the net to go with a smooth baseline game, barely put a foot wrong in disregarding his opponent's malaise, but was not completely satisfied with the effort.

"I would probably say seven out of ten," Tomic said. "I was a bit shaky on my groundstrokes."

Tomic plays Frenchman Kevin Botti today, another opponent of whom he knows little. But he promised one thing.

"It is hard to say, but I am just going to go out there and play it game by game, point by point, hustle for each shot," he said.

"I want to go out there (today) and fight for every ball, like Lleyton does, and hopefully I can win."

With that attitude, he could go far.
There's so much hype behind him, good luck with Kevin Botti today Bernard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.