Mens Tennis Forums banner

1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc.

158K views 1K replies 25 participants last post by  SHB 
#1 ·
I decided to create another junior thread after all. It will easier to keep track of different age groups this way.

For fun - Who will be the next big shot from the 1997-1998 Group?

Henrik Wiersholm
03-27-1997 (14 years old)
Notable Accomplishments:
2012 ITF Copa Gatorade Champion (Impressive run :bowdown: , playing in only his 2nd ITF Tourny)
2011 Les Petits As Champion
2011 AEGON Junior International Finalist

Eduardo Nava
03-11-1997 (14 years old)
Notable Accomplishments:
2011 NIKE Junior Tour USA Masters Finalist
2011 Les Petits As Quarterfinalist
2011 AEGON Junior International Quarterfinalist

Stefan Kozlov
02-01-1998 (14 years old)
Notable Accomplishments:
Youngest player in the top 150 ITF Junior Ranking :yeah:
2011 ITF Waco Champion
2011 Junior Orange Bowl Finalist
2011 AEGON Junior International Champion

Francis Tiafoe
01-20-1998 (14 years old)
Notable Accomplishments:
2012 Les Petits As Champion (Impressive run :bowdown:)
2012 AEGON Junior International Champion

Michael Mmoh
01-10-1998 (14 years old)
Notable Accomplishments:
2012 AEGON Junior International Finalist
2012 Les Petits As Semifinalist
2011 VRSA Summer Cup Champion

William Blumberg
01-26-1998 (14 years old)
Notable Accomplishments:
2012 USTA National Open Finalist
2012 Les Petits As Finalist
2012 AEGON Junior International Quarterfinalist

Nathan Ponwith
04-28-1998 (13 years old)
Notable Accomplishments:
2012 Les Petits As Semifinalist
2012 AEGON Junior International Semifinalist
2011 USTA National Open Champion

See less See more
#407 ·
Good luck to:

Francis Tiafoe, Reilly Opelka, Sasha Gozun, Chase Colton in the 16s

Alex Del Corral, Conner Hance, Gianni Ross, Patrick Kypson in the 14s

Andrew Fenty, Axel Nefve, Boris Kozlov, and Roscoe Bellamy in the 12s

Of all the groups, I am really looking forward to the 14s the most. I really want to see Del Corral and Hance.

#420 ·
Good luck to:

Francis Tiafoe, Reilly Opelka, Sasha Gozun, Chase Colton in the 16s

Alex Del Corral, Connor Hance, Gianni Ross, Patrick Kypson in the 14s

Andrew Fenty, Axel Nefve, Boris Kozlov, and Roscoe Bellamy in the 12s

Of all the groups, I am really looking forward to the 14s the most. I really want to see Del Corral and Hance.
Francis and Sasha(1996) keep going :)
Connor "Agassi" Jr will play the No.6 seed Jay Clark (GBR) next. Clark beat Francis at the WJT earlier, so it should be a good test for him.
Gianni (1999) and Patrick (1999) will play each other next :awww: well at least one will get to the quarterfinal. I think Gianni will win (almost a year older and a lot bigger).
2000 kids: Fenty, mini Kozlov & Bellamy still alive :yeah:

#424 · (Edited)
Boys 12 - Quarterfinals
(1) Yshai Oliel (ISR) d. (9) Andrew Fenty (USA) 6-3 6-0
Nikolay Vylegzhanin (RUS) d. (6) Keenan A. Mayo (USA) 5-7 6-4 6-4
Alen Avidzba (RUS) d. Jenson Brooksby (USA) 6-0 6-3
(16) Rudolf Molleker (GER) d. (10) Boris Kozlov (USA) 6-7(7) 6-2 6-4

Boys 14 - Quarterfinals
(1) Orlando Luz (BRA) d. (9) Mwendwa W. Mbithi (USA) 6-3 6-3
(3) Chanyeong Oh (KOR) d. Liam J. Caruana (USA) 6-1 6-1
(4) Evan H. Zhu (USA) d. Chengze Lu (CHN) 6-2 6-1
(13) Gianni Ross (USA) d. (12) Connor Hance (USA) 2-6 7-6(2) 6-4

Boys 16 - Quarterfinals
(1) Ku Keon Kang (KOR) d. (8) Francis Tiafoe (USA) 6-3 6-1
Walker Duncan (USA) d. (3) Carter Lin (USA) 7-6(5) 2-6 6-4
Soon Woo Kwon (KOR) d. (7) Nicholas Alvarez (PER) 7-6(3) 6-4
(2) Jordi Arconada (ARG) d. Alexandru Gozun (USA) 7-6(4) 7-5

:hug: to everybody that lost. Gianni vs Zhu should be interesting, Evan is cruising at the moment.

#425 ·
:help: Kypson is not the No.2 seed. He was the one who defeated the No.2 seed Mikael Yemer 64 75.

2012 Eddie Herr International Junior Championships at IMG Academy, third round results
IMG Academy student-athlete Gianni Ross advances to the Boys 14s semifinals in the Eddie Herr International Junior Championships
No Comments
Posted: Friday, November 30th, 2012

IMG Academy student-athlete Gianni Ross, a native of Chicago, is having a brilliant run the Boys’ 14s Division of the 2012 Eddie Herr International Junior Championships. Today, Ross scored a major victory by defeating Connor Hance, the 12-seed out of California, in three sets, 2-6, 7-6(2), 6-4. Hance came to Florida with two USTA tournament wins in 2012 under his belt, and a 35-9 overall singles record on the year.

To get to the semis, the No. 13 seed Ross had to overcome No. 2 seed Patrick Kypson of North Carolina on Thursday. Ross stunned Kypson in straight sets, 6-4, 7-5. Heading into the match, Kypson was ranked as the No. 2 player nationally for his class according to TennisRecruiting.net, and entered the Eddie Herr with a 20-8 overall singles record in 2012.

Ross, who won the Nick Bollettieri Discovery Open Boys’ 13s in June, will have another challenging match tomorrow when he faces Evan Zhu, the No. 4 seed. Zhu easily defeated China’s Chengze Lu in straight sets earlier today to advance to the semis, 6-2, 6-1.
http://blog.imgacademies.com/2012/11/30/img-academy-student-athlete-gianni-ross-advances-to-the-boys-14s-semifinals-in-the-eddie-herr-international-junior-championships/

#427 ·
According to Coretennis, Gianni and Connor are a combined 0-6 against Taylor :hysteric: :hug:

Taylor Fritz d. Gianni Ross 61 63
Taylor Fritz d. Gianni Ross 62 61

Taylor Fritz d. Connor Hance 60 62
Taylor Fritz d. Connor Hance 61 62
Taylor Fritz d. Connor Hance 62 63
Taylor Fritz d. Connor Hance 61 63

Other interesting match-ups

Gianni Ross d. Connor Hance 26 76(2) 64
Connor Hance d. Gianni Ross 62 64
Gianni Ross d. Connor Hance 64 62
Connor Hance d. Gianni Ross 46 62 108

Patrick Kypson d. Connor Hance 75 61
Connor Hance d. Patrick Kypson 62 61

Gianni Ross d. Patrick Kypson 63 67(9) 75
Gianni Ross d. Patrick Kypson 76(4) 62

#428 ·
Maybe Taylor is 6'1 and not 6'5 as indicated in the other article :p

Rancho Santa Fe’s Taylor Fritz sweeps U.S.T.A Boys 14 National Tennis Championships

The home of Taylor Fritz in Rancho Sante Fe is glittering with gold balls.

Fritz won his third overall top prize by sweeping the singles and doubles title at the U.S.T.A Boys 14 National Tennis Championships held Aug. 5-10 at San Antonio’s McFarlin Tennis Center.

The third seeded Fritz defeated No. 10 Gianni Ross of Burr Ridge, Ill., 6-1, 6-3 in the singles final. The day before, Fritz and his doubles partner Anudeep Kodali of Durham, N.C, the No. 1 seeds, dispatched the No. 3 team of Lane Leschly( Atherton, Calif.) and Mwendwa Mbithi ( Succasunna, N.J.) 6-0, 6-1 in the championship match.

Fritz’s accomplishment marked the second straight year a player swept the singles and doubles championships at the event hosted by the San Antonio Tennis Association. Fritz is currently ranked No. 1 in the United States.

“When you get into nationals, and the final rounds, everybody is good enough to beat everybody else,” said Fritz , who will enter Torrey Pines High School in September. “It all comes down to how someone plays against you. It’s all the best players in the United States here. When I got out there in the final rounds, I concentrated really well and played my game. I played well enough to beat some really great players.”

Taylor Fritz on the courts

The 6-foot-1 Fritz has some great “tennis genes” in him. His dad, Guy Fritz, a former pro player, accompanied him to Texas. His mom, Kathy May Fritz, a 2011 Southern California Tennis Association Hall of Fame inductee (with Billie Jean King, Dick Leach, and others), was once ranked No. 8 on the women’s pro tour in the late 1970s. She also has collected an enormous number of USTA gold balls!

The first gold ball for the younger Fritz was garnered in July at the USTA Clay Courts at Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., as he and Billy Rowe (Coronado, Calif.) bested his future first-time partner, Kodali, and Jonathan Small (Midland, Mich.) in the doubles championship.

“We had good strategies,” said Kodali about their performance in the San Antonio tournament. “Taylor would fill me in about how the other players were going to play. We both have strong serves and solid ground strokes.”

The Nationals singles final was a rematch, as Fritz had beaten Ross in straight sets at the Clay Courts round of 16. In the championships at McFarlin, Fritz, who advanced to last year’s third round, utilized a long, looping forehand, along with a strong serve, to power him in the victory over Ross. The two competitors each broke the other’s serve in five of the first six games of the second set. Fritz’s handcuffing serve, in a love game, gave him a 3-2 advantage. Ross was broken during the next game, which went to deuce several times. Key lobs by Fritz were instrumental in his holding service at 5-2, but Ross closed to 3-5 with a shot on the line. In the final game, Fritz’s weaponry included two aces in his championship wrap-up.

“ I think my forehand is a very big factor in my matches,” Fritz said, “because it’s my biggest shot, usually I’ll lose matches if my forehand is off. Today (in the final), on some really big points, I was able to run around and hit some hard forehand winners. In the second set, he started putting pressure on my second serve. There were some close games, and it could have gone either way.”

Ross battled hard, however, and was effective with two- fisted backhands and hard volleys.

“I think I have pretty decent volleys,” Ross said. “I am more of singles volleyer than a doubles volleyer, because I like to close in and get really close to the net. But he got to some of my volleys, and they landed over my head. He had a bigger shot occasionally to hit a winner off me.”

In the semifinals, Fritz’s strong serve and baseline winners prevailed in a 6-1, 6-2 win over No. 8 seed Connor Hance of Torrance, Calif. Fritz yielded only two points of the first five games of the second set in the match with Hance, an upset quarter finals winner (6-3, 6-4) over second-seeded Evan Zhu of Greenbelt, Md. Zhu had emerged as the singles champion of the Clay Courts.

#431 ·
Saw him play Miwibi Mwioenbaifvoshnvsadznfsdn (whatever that kid's name is) yesterday. Orlando seems taller and more built than most his age, which definitely translates to his game. I only watched for a little bit but I could easily see why he's been so dominant in most matches he plays. He has a big serve for 14, and could place it well. At one point he hit a massive untouched second serve winner that was a kick out wide. My jaw dropped at how high level it was. His groundstrokes were also very nice. Powerful but with plenty of spin. His best forehands would consistently seem like they're going out but would drop in at the last second because of the nice topspin he gets on it (Guessing clay is his favorite surface? lol).

I'm already convinced...he'll go far!

#434 ·
Evan won 63 61 over Gianni :hug: Didn't see much but from what I saw, a lot of errors. Gianni needs to work on his serve (maybe tired from the 3-setters). His backhand seemed decent and I like that he was not afraid to go to the net. Kinda lacks power at the moment which is understandable for a 13 years old. I think the winner of Luz/Oh will take the title.

#439 ·
There are several Americans who I have never heard of. Good luck to everybody.

(SE/1) K. Kang (KOR) vs Tate S. Allwardt (USA)
Alex Rybakov (USA) vs Toshiki Matsuya (KOR)
Alexander Knight (USA) vs Q/LL
Osni Junior (BRA) vs (14) D. Uspensky (USA)

(9) N. Alvarez (PER) vs Manuel Arias (COL)
(WC) Jake Stefanik (USA) vs Dmitry Popko (KAZ)
Josh Silverstein (USA) vs Agustin Savarino (ARG)
Q/LL vs (8) W. Blumberg (USA)

(4) A. Rublev (RUS) vs Francis Tiafoe (USA)
Allan Velasco (ECU) vs (WC) Lamar Remy (USA)
(WC) Reilly Opelka (USA) vs Alejandro Tabilo (CAN)
Q/LL vs (13) Logan Smith (USA)

(11) Luis Valero (COL) vs Cameron Klinger (USA)
(WC) Jean Thirouin (USA) vs Q/LL
S. Santibanez (CHI) vs Jess Jones (USA)
Yancy Dennis (USA) vs (7) Kevin Carpenter (MEX)

(5) David Volfson (CAN) vs (WC) Mwendwa Mbithi (USA)
Kyle Seelig (USA) vs Vitalii Shcherba (UKR)
(WC) Alfredo Perez (USA) vs Ilya Vasilyev (RUS)
Martin Joyce (USA) vs (10) Jordi Arcondada (ARG)

(15) T. Van Rijthoven (NED) vs Eduardo Nava (USA)
Ivan Liutarevich (BLR) vs Sameer Kumar (USA)
Aleksandre Bakshi (GEO) vs Andres Torres (COL)
Q/LL vs (3) Henrik Weirsholm (USA)

(6) Aswin Lizen (GBR) vs (WC) Aron Pierce (USA)
Chase Colton (USA) vs Q/LL
Stephen Madonia (USA) vs Q/LL
Q/LL vs (12) Tommy Paul (USA)

(16) Julien Zlobinsky (USA) vs M. Ruiz Naranjo (COL)
(SE) Soon Woo Kwon (KOR) vs Alexandru Gozun (USA)
Nathan Ponwith (USA) vs Petar Conkic (SRB)
Catalin Mateas (USA) vs (2) Sumit Nagal (IND)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.