Mens Tennis Forums banner

1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc.

158K views 1K replies 25 participants last post by  SHB 
#1 ·
I decided to create another junior thread after all. It will easier to keep track of different age groups this way.

For fun - Who will be the next big shot from the 1997-1998 Group?

Henrik Wiersholm
03-27-1997 (14 years old)
Notable Accomplishments:
2012 ITF Copa Gatorade Champion (Impressive run :bowdown: , playing in only his 2nd ITF Tourny)
2011 Les Petits As Champion
2011 AEGON Junior International Finalist

Eduardo Nava
03-11-1997 (14 years old)
Notable Accomplishments:
2011 NIKE Junior Tour USA Masters Finalist
2011 Les Petits As Quarterfinalist
2011 AEGON Junior International Quarterfinalist

Stefan Kozlov
02-01-1998 (14 years old)
Notable Accomplishments:
Youngest player in the top 150 ITF Junior Ranking :yeah:
2011 ITF Waco Champion
2011 Junior Orange Bowl Finalist
2011 AEGON Junior International Champion

Francis Tiafoe
01-20-1998 (14 years old)
Notable Accomplishments:
2012 Les Petits As Champion (Impressive run :bowdown:)
2012 AEGON Junior International Champion

Michael Mmoh
01-10-1998 (14 years old)
Notable Accomplishments:
2012 AEGON Junior International Finalist
2012 Les Petits As Semifinalist
2011 VRSA Summer Cup Champion

William Blumberg
01-26-1998 (14 years old)
Notable Accomplishments:
2012 USTA National Open Finalist
2012 Les Petits As Finalist
2012 AEGON Junior International Quarterfinalist

Nathan Ponwith
04-28-1998 (13 years old)
Notable Accomplishments:
2012 Les Petits As Semifinalist
2012 AEGON Junior International Semifinalist
2011 USTA National Open Champion

See less See more
#265 ·

Krueger Falls to Qualifier Ram-Harel, Qualifiers Mmoh and Black Get First US Open Main Draw Wins

Two of the wins came from unlikely sources, with 14-year-old qualifiers Tornado Black and Michael Mmoh picking up victories in their junior slam debuts. Black defeated Oleksandra Korashvili of Ukraine, No. 30 in the ITF junior rankings, 6-3, 6-4, and Mmoh downed Gabriel Friedrich of Brazil 6-4, 6-3.

Mmoh was part of the USA's 14-and-under team that won the ITF World Junior Tennis competition just a couple of weeks ago, but he said a more recent victory was actually what gave him the confidence to win today.

"I was lucky to get through the qualifying, I had to save a match point," said Mmoh, who defeated No. 3 seed Jorge Panta Herreros of Peru 4-6, 7-6(7), 3-0 ret. in a nearly four-hour match in the final round of qualifying Saturday. "Beating that last guy, who was like 60 ITF, that gave me a lot of confidence. I see a lot of players who are ranked high, and I think I can beat them, but I don't have the confidence yet. That win really helped my confidence."

Mmoh hadn't played Friedrich before, but he inquired about the 30th-ranked Brazilian's game style from another 14-year-old who had.

"I asked (Stefan) Kozlov about him, and he told me a bit about his game, so I guessed that helped me. He had a big forehand, very dangerous, and his serve was also pretty good. His movement wasn't as good as some of his other stuff."

Mmoh was happy to take advantage of that , and was determined to play with a more dynamic strategy now that he's playing in the 18s.

"In the 12s, I wasn't very aggressive, was more of a counterpuncher," said Mmoh, who is 6-foot-1. "I am working every day on getting way more aggressive. My dad, who was former Top 100, he's always telling me I can't be a counterpuncher, I've got to go for the ball. This match, I felt like I was really aggressive."

#271 ·
Surprised to see Stefan not playing singles tomorrow.

And Michael's match will be so tough. Cagnina is playing really well in general and made his first futures final a couple weeks ago. But who cares TBH, Michael has already picked up his three highest wins by ITF ranking this week.

#286 ·
Funny thing is sometimes it doesn't and you will see guys drinking tons of Pedialyte instead :lol: Noah has a picture of it on his twitter and I remember when Jack had to drink it a lot in Kzoo because it was so hot and he couldn't get through his matches without it

#288 ·
http://varsity.kansascity.com/news/bv-norths-sock-has-been-a-smash-hit-in-tennis/

The future of American tennis is lying on a hospital bed in Kalamazoo, Mich., two IVs pricked into his veins. It’s last summer, and Sock gets so dehydrated during the second round of the boys’ 18s championship tournament that after winning his match, he can barely walk down the stadium steps to exit the arena. He stays at the hospital until 1 a.m. but faces another match in just eight hours. The next morning, he chugs Pedialyte and drags around a cooler on wheels. People mock him, but he doesn’t care. Jack never cares what they say. He beats the next kid he plays, then the one after that and wins the national title. From dehydration to champion, the legend of Jack Sock grows.
A shocking amount of kids playing at Kzoo end up in the hospital and then start drinking pedialyte in the future :p

#289 ·
The future of American tennis is lying on a hospital bed in Kalamazoo, Mich., two IVs pricked into his veins. It’s last summer, and Sock gets so dehydrated during the second round of the boys’ 18s championship tournament that after winning his match, he can barely walk down the stadium steps to exit the arena. He stays at the hospital until 1 a.m. but faces another match in just eight hours. The next morning, he chugs Pedialyte and drags around a cooler on wheels. People mock him, but he doesn’t care. Jack never cares what they say. He beats the next kid he plays, then the one after that and wins the national title. From dehydration to champion, the legend of Jack Sock grows.
Jack :worship:

#294 ·
Well. He just need to have more experience and a great coach to help

#295 ·
I hope Michael can make a good run in Montreal (G2).

SCHNUR, Brayden [5] (CAN) - RICCIARDI, GIUSEPPE (ITA) [Q]
MMOH, Michael (USA) - MANJI, Raheel (CAN) [WC]
MATSUYA, Toshiki (JPN) - COURTEAU, Philippe (CAN) [WC]
COTE, Simon (CAN) [LL] - MEDINILLA, Ricky [4] (MEX)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.