Mens Tennis Forums banner

The "Andy's Classy Win or Lose & That's Why We Still Love the Loser" Summer HC Thread

56K views 1K replies 52 participants last post by  crude oil 
#1 ·
The "Andy's Classy Win or Lose & That's Why We Still Love the Loser" Summer HC Thread

Since we've been talking HC stuff in the grass thread I thought it was time... andy's schedule before the USO is provisionally Toronto, Cincy, LA, and DC. He plays World Team Tennis this Saturday night and that should air on TTC I think. And he might play Indy next week but he can't give the tourney an answer yet :eek: :lol:

C'mon Andy, stop sucking please :(

#303 ·
Re: The "Yay, a surface that's actually fast!" Summer HC Thread

:hug: :wavey:Hi everyone. Looks like I missed so much while I was away :haha: :haha: I won't even attempt to catch up :rolls:
Me and my pounding head need to go to sleep, so I will come back tomorrow, just wanted to pop in and say hi :hug: :kiss:

Oh and I almost forgot... :D Raquel, welcome to our lovely house of insanity;):p it is a lovely place to be!

#309 · (Edited)

Raquel, nao come frango!?!?!??! :eek: :hug:

#316 ·

Raquel, nao come frango!?!?!??! :eek: :hug:
No, I don't. :eek: I don't like it. :( I have been refusing to eat frango sice I was 5 years old. :lol:

Muahaha. Excellent, Igor. Another brainwashed convert in record time.
:awww:

No, but it is Renatatatata's :haha: That and "oi!" are the only phrases I know
Here is another one: "olá". It's the same as "oi". ;)

:devil:This is how it happens:hug:

:aparty:
I guess. :awww:

#311 ·

OLYMPUS U.S. OPEN SERIES MEDIA CONFERENCE

July 20, 2008

Andy Roddick

TIM CURRY: Thank you for joining us this evening for our Olympus US Open Series conference call with two-time series champion, Andy Roddick. The 2008 US Open Series marks the fifth year of the series which links ten summer tournaments to the US Open, creating a cohesive six-week summer season for the ATP and Sony Ericsson WTA tournaments in North America.
The first week of the series concluded earlier today in Indianapolis and Stanford. Andy is entered in each of the next four Olympus US Open Series men's events: This week's Rogers Masters in Canada, the Western and Southern Financial Group Masters in Cincinnati, the Countrywide Classic in Los Angeles, and the Legg Mason Classic in Washington, D.C.
The series will then conclude as traditionally with the final week with the Pilot Pen in New Haven. All of this, of course, is leading up to the US Open. We will ask the operator to give instructions for asking questions.

Q. Could you give us a quick update on what your health is and what's been hurt and how things are feeling overall?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I feel great, actually. I'm probably healthy for the first time since before Rome. Probably the first time since our Davis Cup match against France.:yeah:
I feel good. I've been on the court a lot the last couple of weeks and I haven't had to, you know, censor my practices at all. I've been able to go as long as I want, as hard as I want, which is a good thing. I'm not short of practice, which is a really good.:yeah:

Q. What was the injury that kept you out of World Team Tennis? Was it the same one that you had in Rome?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it's just the shoulder that was bothering me. But more so than anything, I just wanted to continue my rehab program, and, you know, I felt like we were getting on top of it and I didn't want to interrupt momentum as far as that went.:scratch:

Q. Let me ask you straight out - how important do you think to American tennis is it to get an American guy to win the US Open again? How would you reflect on that?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean it's always important. I don't know how to compare it to last year or the year before. You know, I think with, you know, actually this Nadal-Federer generating the type of buzz they did at Wimbledon, and even on American kind of sports talk shows and TV shows and whatnot, it was talked about as one of the first stories for three or four days afterwards. I think that's good for tennis in general even in America, and the ratings were great in America.
I think the most important thing in tennis is rivalries. And the more people can you get into those rivalries the better. So instead of just having a Nadal-Federer, you know thing going back and forth, if we can get a couple more names in there, I think that's good for tennis.

Q. You have wins over Novak this year and Roger, but how important would it be to you to get a win in a major over Djokovic or Roger or Rafa?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I mean, that's kind of the next step. I feel like I had a lot of momentum going through April of this year, then you know kind of had a little bit of hard luck with the injury and stuff.
I kind of almost feel like I'm starting again, you know? I'm starting a new season because I haven't played that much. I've only played a couple matches in the past couple months. You know, that's the next step.

Q. Finally, at Wimbledon you spoke about how the pressure is coming from within you, can you talk about that dynamic within yourself? What kind of pressures do you feel at this point in your career?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I was feeling a lot of different pressures at Wimbledon just because I expected myself to perform and I wanted to perform in a big tournament, even though I maybe, I might have had a reason not to be there. So you're fighting a battle of wanting to do well, but then, you know, still not being prepared and not having the repetitions in, so.
It showed. It showed in my practices and in my matches. I was probably really frustrated with that. I feel physically prepared now, which is big for confidence.
So right now it's just a matter of getting out there. You can't replicate a match situation in practice, but you can get your reps in and train your muscle memory and so on and so forth. So now it's just a matter of I'm playing the four weeks. It's just a matter of going out there and playing each day so it happens again.

Q. Obviously, travel is a huge part of your job and I understand the decision to skip the Olympics was made to put you in the best position of winning the US Open. Could you elaborate at all on how you viewed the pros and cons of that sort of commitment? Going to Beijing and what the tradeoff was there?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, absolutely. Let me first say that it was probably one of the most difficult decisions I've had to make in my career. You normally don't have to choose between two huge events.
My decision had nothing to do with lack of respect for the Olympics or anything like that. I completely am the biggest fan of it, and I'll be a huge fan watching it from home. It had to do more with at the end of my career I want to have been making runs in slams.
So I felt the best way to do that is to play a lot in the hard court season and get my body ready for it. Especially with everything that's gone on. I didn't feel like a trip to Beijing, you know, followed by playing a first round match five days later at the US Open was the best preparation for Flushing.

Q. None of us are elite athletes and few of us have made a 12-hour trip to Beijing. Could you just talk about for an athlete at your level what sort of difficulties is presented by jet lag at that scale?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I guess it would be like trying to figure out, I guess, forcing yourself to sleep at about 5:00 in the evening, waking up at 10:00 in the morning and making it to, you know, 3:00 in the afternoon the next day and expecting to play also. I'm not really sure how to put that in there.
But then you have to put in all the extracurriculars that go on at the Olympics as well. It's not like you're taking a car five minutes to the courts. You know, there are huge amounts of traffic and security and buses and, you know, there is a lot that goes into it.
I felt the better preparation for me would be to stick here with the similar court conditions and so on and so forth. But, obviously, the fact that it's on the other side of the world played a big part in that.

Q. I'm curious, it seems to me that these US Open Series tournaments are really trying to accomplish two things; one is to try and win, and you have had a great success in these. But you're also trying to make sure you're playing at peak level by the time you get to New York if you're not already there. I'm curious how you are able to kind of accomplish both things and whether sometimes there are sort of opposite agendas to some degree?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't think so. I don't think you're going to have anybody saying, you know what, I played well and won a bunch of tournaments in the summer therefore that's a detriment to my chances at the Open.
Every time I've played well at the Open, I've played well in the lead-up events. I don't see how playing well all summer and trying to win events can hurt your preparation for the US Open.

Q. Aside from just making sure you're 100% and ready health-wise, is there anything specific you're trying to work on in terms of your game for New York?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I think the pace of the court in New York allows you to play a little bit more aggressively. It's probably one of the faster courts on tour, so that helps me out. I just need to get forward and get the repetitions in so I have confidence and playing aggressively.

Q. Why do you think you've been able to be so successful at the Legg Mason Classic and do you see that success continuing this year?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I hope so. I don't know if there's anything in particular. I think it's the time of the year and the conditions. I don't mind the hot weather. Hard court's probably my favorite surface. I've always kind of played well in the North American summer swing. Obviously, the D.C. tournament is a big part of that.

Q. Do you look forward to the Legg Mason tournament every year? Or how do you go about stepping up to the Legg Mason tournament?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I've always enjoyed playing there. I had my first ever really good pro tournament there when I was 17, back in 2000. I think I've won it three times now. You know, when you have success like that at a place, even just stepping on the grounds there, you have a certain sense of confidence. You know, it's always been a big part of my US Open preparation and hopefully it will continue to be that.

Q. I wanted to follow up about the Olympics. I know Greece isn't Beijing. But how was the turn around for you? I know there are some different circumstances, but how difficult was it in '04?
ANDY RODDICK: It was tough. Coming back on short notice, it was pretty tough. I think I definitely remember that. I don't know if my body was in the greatest shape for that tournament. I was playing good tennis at the time, but I remember feeling a little bit beat up before that Open. You know, that probably played into my decision as well.

Q. Didn't you stay to watch Mardy or were you gone by then?
ANDY RODDICK: No, I stayed. There was actually decent practice there. No one was going straight to New York from there. They were either playing in New Haven or whatever it was, and no one would have been in New York yet.
So there were a bunch of players there, so my best practice was there in Greece until the end. And, obviously, the fact that Mardy's a close friend and was having one of the tournaments of his life, I stayed for that as well. :awww: :awww: :awww:

Q. I know you're going to be pretty busy this summer not probably a lot of time to be glued to the TV set. But if there is one event or one race in the Olympics, is there something that you're going to be into? Do you know some of the swimmers at all from Austin? Some of those guys?
ANDY RODDICK: You know, there's a huge swimming program there. I think Phelps' run -- he's always kind of an Olympic legend. He's so young and he has a shot at so many more medals this year. I'm big into track and field and the swimming. I think those are probably the events that make the Olympics.

Q. We can see the ranking here at the top change pretty soon, I guess we could see a change. As a former number one, what do you think is the mental significance of earning or losing that top spot?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I think the biggest thing about getting the number one, I don't think anybody doubts that Nadal's probably he's had a better career than a lot of people who have been number one, myself included.
So I don't know if anybody views him as someone who hasn't been a number one or anything like that. So I don't think it's going to be a huge deal in the locker room as far as the ranking goes. I feel like a lot of us feel like Rafa is probably going to get there sometime in his career. Now he's just kind of closing in on it.
But I think the biggest thing as a player about getting to that spot that it can't be taken away. You know, that is something that every time there is a career high ranking, it's a good number to look at.

Q. Did you get a chance to watch them play in Wimbledon?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. I mean, it was great, you know. I think there were so many story lines going in and so much hype. Then to have that final live up to it and to have kind of Rafa dig in and force his will at the beginning. I think Roger showed people a lot coming from two sets down and showed a lot of heart, which is an underrated part of his game just because a lot of times it looks really easy to him, and then the drama with the light going away.
You know, just all of that. It's all great for tennis. I think we needed a final like that. It's probably going to be the match most remembered so far in their rivalry.

Q. Since Marat Safin is going to be here in D.C. with you, I'm wondering two things about him. To what extent did you pay any attention to the run he had at Wimbledon? And if you did or didn't, could you speak -- he seems to so much rise and fall on his degree of confidence which seems so volatile. I'm wondering if you could speak to the element that confidence plays in the way you approach a match?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, yeah. I think every person out here can play. I think the difference between someone being in the Top 10 and the Top 5 is being able to win those matches when they're not playing well.
You're never going to see anybody who kind of gave up on Marat's talent. But also in Marat's case, I think injuries have a lot to do with it. If you're out for an extended period of time coming back, you're wondering if you can get back to that place. You take a loss or two and you start wondering if it's going to be different.
I don't think people talk enough about that with Marat. He's had a rough go of things physically a little bit. So I don't think that tennis has ever been questioned with him.

Q. You traveled the world, obviously, all these different tournaments in give countries. What is special about the Open? Is it your favorite tournament? What makes it so special when you go out there?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't think any other tournament in the world has that kind of almost rock show kind of feel to it. Night session at the Open is probably the most electric atmosphere that you're going to find in our sport.
I remember last year when I played Roger, the feeling before, you can feel the energy in the air and the buzz. And I think just the fact that you're in New York and they almost put on a show at the US Open also with all the big acts and ceremonies and all the celebrities that come out and watch. It's not just a tennis tournament, it is an event in everyday life, and even in pop culture. So it's kind of transcended tennis, and it's just really fun to be a part of that.

Q. Did you watch the Wimbledon final from home on the couch, or were you out with friends? Where did you take it in?
ANDY RODDICK: I watched the first part of it. I was up at my fiance's Parents house. I got to watch the first set and a half. Then I took a flight home and got to watch the last little bit when I landed at the airport. So I actually watched the last half of it at the airport.

Q. Was it fun watching with the crowd in the airport? Was that kind of a kick?
ANDY RODDICK: There weren't a lot of people there. I rushed off the plane and had about 20 text messages on updates from the match. I kind of just ran to the TV and settled in and watched the end of it.:lol:
The coolest part about it is it's just great for tennis. The next morning I go and get my bagel and my coffee. Everyone's coming up to me and wondering about the match and talking about it and making comments about it. Wanting to know what I thought. That's never really been the case before. It really was different. I was long gone. But to have people excited about it outwardly was pretty cool.

TIM CURRY: Thanks, Andy, for taking the time before playing this week in Canada, and that will conclude our call.

#313 ·

Andy must not have been watching the fifth set at O'Hare Airport in Chicago. There must have been more than fifty people just watching the fifth set on the television at the little mini-bar by our gate. Of course, I was stunned to see the match still going on since I had watched the first two sets at my cousin's house before driving the 100 miles to the airport.

#330 ·

Canada is always the slowest of the North American summer tourneys, but it doesn't seem that slow - the thing with slow hardcourts is that usually at least they still reward aggressive play where wimbledon this year wasn't :eek:

#332 ·

Well it's hard to say because they switch between Montreal and toronto every other year :scratch: But I mean, Llodra and Gasquet are succeeding playing aggressive tennis, so that's good to see at least.

#336 ·

Well it's hard to say because they switch between Montreal and toronto every other year :scratch: But I mean, Llodra and Gasquet are succeeding playing aggressive tennis, so that's good to see at least.
Probably as slow here as Miami or IW. You can see the court it looks more granular. More sand = more grip = more spin = slower play. The surface at the US Open looks more slick and the ball skids alot more there...aggressive well hit balls are rewarded more.

#335 ·

Didn't get up to the centre yesterday all practice was cancelled due to the weather which proceeded to rain on and off still keep fingers crossed that by the time I get there on Friday he is still there. I like the fact that he is playing doubles as well as singles although they have very tough first round opponents. I see Roger is also playing doubles hmmmmmm!!!

#337 ·

I don't think it's as slow as IW, IW is almost as slow as clay. It may be like Miami except the bounce is definitely lower - Miami bounces as high as the AO or something. These guys are able to hit winners on this surface at least, which is very hard at IW - it may seem fast at IW b/c of the altitude the ball flies but in preson those courts play sooooo slow...

#338 ·

I don't think it's as slow as IW, IW is almost as slow as clay. It may be like Miami except the bounce is definitely lower - Miami bounces as high as the AO or something. These guys are able to hit winners on this surface at least, which is very hard at IW - it may seem fast at IW b/c of the altitude the ball flies but in preson those courts play sooooo slow...
Deb, I re-upped my membership with TMS.tv so you are welcome to watch as always. ;)

Hardcourt is still hardcourt but, yea nothing is like the US Open it's so slick you can look down and almost see your face in it. Watching it in person the ball takes 2-3 inch skids off of serves and flat forehands. That's fast.

#339 ·

haha okay thanks ;) I'll let you know if i need it :p right now TTC is showing all 12 hours today :worship:

Yeah, the USO is faster as is Cincy and DC.... not sure how LA out here plays but it has always seemed fast to me. Also the difference is in the IS tourneys and at the USO, they use a lighter ball than at the two masters events b/c the masters events have a deal with is it Penn? So that makes a big difference - yeah, it really makes sense to have different balls at the USO leadin masters tourneys than the USO itself and all the other USOS tourneys :tape:

#340 ·

haha okay thanks ;) I'll let you know if i need it :p right now TTC is showing all 12 hours today :worship:

Yeah, the USO is faster as is Cincy and DC.... not sure how LA out here plays but it has always seemed fast to me. Also the difference is in the IS tourneys and at the USO, they use a lighter ball than at the two masters events b/c the masters events have a deal with is it Penn? So that makes a big difference - yeah, it really makes sense to have different balls at the USO leadin masters tourneys than the USO itself and all the other USOS tourneys :tape:
Listen Deb don't try to fuse logic and professional tennis, as a long time tennis fan you know they can never coexist. The Wilson balls are very fast I've played with them myself. They skid alot, and are quite lively even off the bounce. ;)

Traditionally though I think Andy likes medium-fast American hard courts best. His return suffers mightily on the super fast stuff. Big hitters like Roddick, Safin, Blake etc. can adjust and hit through the slower hardcourts. I think it's the weaker players(Hewitt, etc) that have a tougher time adjusting and are hurt the most by the slower courts.

The faster the surface the more cheap points for Andy but, more cheap points for his opponents as well.

#341 ·

:scratch:

Roddick's big gamble

Monday, July 21, 2008

by Peter Bodo, TENNIS.com

It's always a pleasure talking with or listening to Andy Roddick; he's got that Nebraska boy's penchant for common sense combined with a quick, sharp mind and a streak of compulsive honesty. In a tangential comment made during a conference call the other day, he said of Rafael Nadal's résumé: "I don't think anybody doubts that Nadal's probably had a better career than a lot of people who have been No. 1, myself included."

That's vintage Roddick; he has a way with words and he's a flexible minded realist. That's also as good an explanation as you can get for why he's choosing the skip the Olympic Games in Bejing in mid-August. As he explained: "I'll be a huge fan watching it [the Games] from home. [My decision] had to do more with at the end of my career I want to have been making runs in Slams. … I didn't feel like a trip to Beijing, followed by playing a first-round match five days later at the U.S. Open was the best preparation for Flushing."

I understand why Roddick took that decision. I've covered the Olympic Games and fully appreciate the logistical peculiarities that differentiate it from other sporting events. Roddick knows about them firsthand, too, from the Athens games: "You have to put in all the extracurriculars. … It's not like you're taking a car five minutes to the courts. You know, there are huge amounts of traffic and security and buses and there is a lot that goes into it."

True enough. And if Andy's heart is in Flushing, not Beijing, more power to him. But I think he's putting many eggs in one basket, and subjecting himself to a lot of pressure with his plans. Granted, within tennis, it's all about the majors, rather than Olympic gold. And you have to give Andy props for showing his true colors as a tennis player, loyal to the game's unique culture. But the winners of Olympic gold also join a unique and more universal club.

There are a few powerful counter-arguments to Roddick's decision, starting with the implication in his own words, when he said: "Every time I've played well at the Open, I've played well in the lead-up events. I don't see how playing well all summer and trying to win events can hurt your preparation for the U.S. Open."

So there's the "momentum" argument, suggesting that Andy -- whose relatively fresh for the summer after a nagging shoulder injury -- ought to play more rather than fewer matches. And let's face it, taxing as the Olympic Games may be, the other top players will be competing in Beijing. So it isn't as if Roddick would be surrendering a powerful advantage by taking part in the Games -- if anything, he's trying to set himself up with an advantage by not participating. And that's bound to create pressure for him to perform in New York.

And there's something else: Roddick's enthusiastic support for Davis Cup, and his record in the event, demonstrates that he loves playing for his country -- if he doesn't love it above all else, it's only because there is no nations-based open tournament. Oh, wait. There's the … Olympic Games.

Given that the Beijing games will be on a surface suitable to Roddick's game (U.S. Open-style Decoturf) and that Olympic tennis tends to be a free-for-all that makes the top players edgy and vulnerable to upset, it's easy to see how Roddick could develop a hot hand and pound his way through the draw to take the gold.

All in, Roddick is taking a big gamble, even if his heart is in the right place -- firmly rooted in New York, not Beijing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3498585&name=bodo_peter

#344 ·

I agree that putting all of his eggs in one basket could backfire on him. We've seen him choke away golden opportunities at the Australian Open and Wimbledon this year, so what's to stop him from doing the same at USO should he get another great draw, especially now that he's putting himself under more pressure to nab that elusive second slam?

#345 · (Edited)

This is one reason why Andy's presence is so badly wanted and needed at these small US tournaments. Indy this year was a complete dud, from all sides. How much longer can this tournament go on before it's axed? RCA withdrew its sponsorship so no more cute RCA puppies for the champions to hold, either. :tears:

Event continues to drop in staturehttp://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080721/SPORTS15/807210329/1004/SPORTS
July 21, 2008

Test your sports IQ.

Gilles Simon (pronounced See-Moan) and Dmitry Tursunov (pronounced "who?'') are:

A) Former line mates who worked the penalty-killing unit for the 1970 California Golden Seals;

B) Corrupt government officials from France and Russia who are both being tried for crimes against humanity;

C) The two second-level tennis players whose uninspired final match, won by Simon in straight sets over Tursunov on Sunday at the Indianapolis Tennis Center, provoked equal parts boredom and heat stroke.

If you said C, that's only because you noticed the giant tennis picture on the sports page. Without that, though, you wouldn't have had a clue.

Now, don't misunderstand. This is not some kind of anti-tennis screed -- not after Roger Federer vs. Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon -- and certainly not an anti-Indianapolis Tennis Championships polemic.

This tournament, which has produced champions such as Boris Becker, John McEnroe, Pete Sampras, Jim Courier, Andy Roddick and James Blake, is an important and precious staple on the Indianapolis summer schedule. The city is infinitely better for having professional tennis in town, even if the tournament isn't drawing the biggest names any longer.

That said, this tournament is hurting, and it's hurting to the point where it's reasonable to wonder about it's long-term viability and future. If it wasn't for the fact the U.S. Open Series is heading into a six-year contract beginning next year, you'd wonder how it could survive.

This is the second straight year the tournament has lacked a title sponsor, although Lilly stepped up as a presenting sponsor.

This is the first year the final hasn't been shown on network television, specifically NBC. (I miss Bud Collins and I miss those adorable RCA pooches).

And then there are the attendance numbers. And no, you can't drop this one on the economy or the rise in gas prices. Seriously, tennis fans do not strike me as the type who would let $4.29 a gallon limit their lifestyle.

This year, the 21-year-old tournament hit an all-time attendance low. By a lot. A whole lot. It drew 57,271 fans, 13,050 fewer than last year. And last year was no picnic, either. The tournament drew 70,321 fans, the second-lowest total at the time. Now the third-lowest total.

This thing has been trending down for years now, and it's not an aberration or something that can be turned around without some kind of seismic event -- like Federer committing to Indy next year or a schedule change, neither of which will happen.

The tournament's decline isn't the organizers' fault or the volunteers' fault or even the media's fault. If anybody is to blame here, it's the ATP.

Here's the deal: When the local tournament began its hardcourt era in 1988, the event was played in August, roughly two weeks before the U.S. Open in Flushing, N.Y.. It thus became a perfect place for the top players to prepare for the hardcourts, not to mention the heat and humidity.

The champions' log quickly filled with household names, or at least players who were close to becoming household names. The tournament flourished, topping out in 1993 when 97,891 fans attended a tournament that ended with Courier beating Becker in the final. Year after year, the tournament drew more than 80,000 and even 90,000 fans.

And then it all fell apart. The ATP, led at the time by Indy Super Bowl bid hero Mark Miles, decided to change the date for Indy and the Legg Mason tourney in Washington, D.C. That would give the ATP's Masters Series Events (its top-tier tournaments) in Cincinnati and Canada the best spots on the pre-Open schedule.

There was a lawsuit and there was an out-of-court settlement, but in the end, Indianapolis was moved out of August and back to July. The change began with the 2003 tournament, and since then, the attendance figures have seen a steady decline.

There's no reason why any European player would come all the way over here to play a hardcourt tournament nearly two months before the U.S. Open. They would play Canada and Cincinnati three and two weeks before the Open, but why bother with Indianapolis?

In the past, the schedule change has drawn more of the better young Americans, but the fact is, American men's tennis is in a bit of a slump these days. This year, Andy Roddick opted out and Blake lost in the semis. Leaving, um, er, um . . .

Right. Simon and Tursunov.

As for the issue of adding women to the tournament, that would be great, except there are no tournaments currently up for sale. Indy could pull it off, having a field of 32 in each bracket, but you can't buy what nobody is selling.

So, it's still professional tennis. It's still an important date on our schedule. It's still a well-run event that is staged for all the right reasons. But it's not even close to the same as it used to be, and it likely won't be again.

-------

*edit*
An update:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080722/SPORTS/807220386/1287/SPORTS
Tournament will stay put in Indianapolis
Attendance problems dogged the event this year for number of reasons

By Mark Ambrogi
Posted: July 22, 2008

For the first time since 2002, Andy Roddick was not in the Indianapolis Tennis Championships, which concluded Sunday.

His absence was one of three factors tournament director Kevin Martin cited in explaining the lowest fan turnout since the event moved to hardcourts in 1988. An earlier slot in July and struggling economy also contributed to the weeklong event drawing just 57,271, Martin said. That's more than 13,000 fewer than last year.

Martin said Roddick was available -- for an undisclosed price -- but Martin does not think the two-time champion would have sold enough tickets to make up for the appearance fee he was initially asking.

"We could have locked him up a year ago if we would have paid the fee he demanded," Martin said. "But what he would have brought to the table in ticket sales wouldn't have made up for that."

Martin said summer discussions with Roddick about taking a wild card did not involve money.

"He had set his schedule by then and it was just a matter if he wanted to play another tournament (after losing in the second round at Wimbledon)," Martin said.
Martin said it's not an exact science, but research helps predict who Indianapolis tennis fans will pay to see.

The top seven players in the world did not play in the tour's four events last week.

Indianapolis had the next two on the list: No. 8 James Blake and No. 9 Andy Murray, who pulled out for personal reasons. The Scottish player likely would have drawn some fans, but not enough to make a huge attendance difference.

"We pay appearance fees, but we have to justify them," Martin said. "They have to make economic sense for us."

Tennis Master Series events, like the one in Toronto this week and the following week in Cincinnati, don't have to pay appearance fees because the top players are required to play or face fines if they are not injured.

Martin said his priorities are luring top U.S. players and then top-20 players. He also likes a nice international blend. France's Gilles Simon won the title by beating Russia's Dmitry Tursunov on Sunday. Simon promised the crowd he would return to defend his title.

Despite the declining attendance and the failure to find a title sponsor, Martin said the tournament is safe.

"There is absolutely, unequivocally, no question we are here to stay for the long haul," Martin said. "We have plenty of support and reserves to make it through and we will get a title sponsor and move on."

The tournament lost longtime sponsor RCA after the 2006 event. Eli Lilly and Co. is committed as a presenting sponsor through 2009. The event is part of the U.S. Open Series, which has a six-year deal with ESPN2 beginning in 2009.

"One year doesn't make the event," Martin said. "We have a long history of great attendance."

#349 ·

I won't be able to watch the match tomorrow, so good luck! :hug:

No pre-match bashing, please. :lol:

My bed awaits me. :)
I'm like 2 hours late but I have to say boa noite just b/c I can ;) :haha: :hug:
Oh yuck. I never schedule lunch meetings except for tomorrow.

OTOH, maybe NOT sitting in my office yelling at the scoreboard will be a good thing.
Yes, I think you are right :D

#351 ·

I guess the doubles got rained out yesterday we are having decidedly cool and showery weather although I suppose it is better than the stifling heat that we have experienced in the past. More showers are expected this afternoon too so Andy may have some interruptions but they shouldn't last long, I guess at this time of year we are dealing with storms but hopefully he will get his match in.

#360 ·

Does Andy need protection here? Any bashing going on regardless of his victory? :lol:

I guess not. :p
Nah, our bashing is just tough love. We all want the best for Andy and just get a little bit frustrated when he plays less than his best tennis. He did okay today, but that match really should have been over in two sets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.