Mens Tennis Forums banner

Middle East call for freedom/ Various Israel topics

47K views 678 replies 86 participants last post by  abraxas21 
#1 · (Edited)
Nothing? Take active steps to take Gadaffi down? Such as? Who should do it? If you think nobody should interfere, is there a situation where your opinion might change?

#4 ·
Re: Question - what should the world do about the situation in Libya?

In a perfect world, the situation in Libya should be left for the Libyans to deal with. With that I mean: let the population murder the dictator and hang his body upside down. :p
What if before the dictator falls he decides to take 2000, maybe 3000 of the population with him?

We're not in a perfect world.

#7 ·

I think there is little "the world" can do. Gadaffi has been impervious to what the rest of the world thinks for decades. If the U.S. gets involved, it will be even worse, and I don't think the U.N. can do anything. I don't see the Europeans doing anything either. I hope it doesn't result in Gadaffi indulging in wholesale killing of his own people. Maybe the army will quit before that happens. Although I hope for the result to be democracy, I can't foresee how that will come about.

#8 ·

We should just let Libya deal with the situation.

#10 ·

REVOLUTION: A complete change in government brought about by the people being governed.

If you can find where I called people monkeys, please post it.

#11 ·

If you can find where I called people monkeys, please post it.
I did a search and you haven't called anybody monkeys. In fact, you've only used that word once, and that was in the above post. GlennMirnyi is talking rubbish as usual.

#13 ·

Do nothing.

The Swiss as always have the best approach.

US and other countries interference will only make the situation worse as always.

#15 ·

Do nothing.
The Swiss as always have the best approach.
Oh, the Swiss are indeed wonderful!
They hold on to the big bucks of all the rogues in world politics for decades, but the instant they fall and become a liability, they freeze their bank accounts and take the moral high ground!
Way to go, Swiss morality must be like their cheese, full of holes.

#14 ·

This is a very interesting question, and one that's very difficult to answer.

Is there anything the world should do? Governments have often stood by when they could have intervened; Rwanda is a recent example that comes to mind.

On the one hand, no Government is in fact obligated to do anything for anyone other than their own people. But is there a moral obligation to interfere in some instances? Or should countries interfere only when it is in their interest to interfere? The military and financial aid provided to countries such as Egypt and Libya is an example of such interference. What can be gained at this point by interfering in Libya's affairs? And what should be the form of interference?

#17 ·

The citizens of that country are quite capable of doing what must be done :) Everyone else should just mind their own business (Hillary are you listening :p )

It's millions of people against one mad dictator. The odds are heavily in favour of the general population IF they want it badly enough :yeah:

Same goes for all the other non democratic Arab and African countries. North Korea too. The parasitic dictators must go.

Their time is up.:wavey:

#21 ·

The citizens of that country are quite capable of doing what must be done :) Everyone else should just mind their own business (Hillary are you listening :p )

It's millions of people against one mad dictator. The odds are heavily in favour of the general population IF they want it badly enough :yeah:

Same goes for all the other non democratic Arab and African countries. North Korea too. The parasitic dictators must go.

Their time is up.:wavey:

It is one thing to bring down a goverment and a leader, but quite another thing to replace one system with another. That takes quite a bit of good fortune.

#18 ·

I think USA and China should both reclaim the territory for themselves for the oil, send thousands of troops leading to dangerous proximity, and when all UNO resolutions are abhorted and US President declare that all Chinese must be destroyed in Nuclear Holocaust, and Chinese Prime make alliance with Russia to obliterate USA, then they could declare Nuclear Total War. And all because of Libya!!

#19 ·

I think USA and China should both reclaim the territory for themselves for the oil, send thousands of troops leading to dangerous proximity, and when all UNO resolutions are abhorted and US President declare that all Chinese must be destroyed in Nuclear Holocaust, and Chinese Prime make alliance with Russia to obliterate USA, then they could declare Nuclear Total War. And all because of Libya!!
You've been watching way too much star wars monsieur sidious ;)

#20 ·

Strange thing is that Gaddafi in his first few years in power (the 70s) was pretty succesful and deserved some credit. He dramatically improved living standards, housing the homeless people that had crowded Tripoli for years on end, reducing the stiffling influence that he tribal lords held over the government, and putting all children in school (including girls).

But after that bright start, it was all a downslope towards sheer lunacy. A bodyguard of virgin Amazons (!!), I doubt anything quite as bizarre happened even in Duvalier's Haiti!!

Whatever happened to him? It has been said that Reagan's bombing of his palace (in which his daughter was killed) played a role in derailing his mind, ever since then he got more and more involved in terrorism and vengeance seemed to be his overriding goal for a long time.

But really, I guess I can somehow understand how 30 years of absolute power can make one lose touch and become self-complacent and corrupt... but... a guard of virgin Amazons and those uniforms -not to speak of straffing demonstrators with machineguns-??????? To explain that one needs to suffer from something far worse than mere authoritarianism.

Someone should open a loonybin for retired tyrants (with admittance preferred before they take up politics, but open any time). The Swiss should pay for it, after all it's always them who reap the benefits from such regimes... (well, to be fair, them... and all the rest of us Westerners).

#25 ·

Whatever happened to him? It has been said that Reagan's bombing of his palace (in which his daughter was killed) played a role in derailing his mind, ever since then he got more and more involved in terrorism and vengeance seemed to be his overriding goal for a long time.
Reagan bombed his palace because of his deep involvement in terrorism. Could it be that his mind was already derailed?

#23 · (Edited)

USA are considering military intervention, they want to take over the oil plants like in Iraq.
Everything is proceeding as intended...

#27 ·

The latest United Nations report on human rights in Libya commends Libya for the advances made. The report is expected to be approved by the United Nations Human Rights Council on March 18th.
So why all the fuss when things are going so well for Libyans?

#32 ·

But not everyone is having a fine time of it. There was much chortling across the Balkans last year when Mr Pacolli took a large party of Kosovars to Libya as part of his attempt to get Mr Qaddafi to abandon his pro-Serbian stance and to recognise the country. At one point the whole party was flown to the middle of a desert to meet the Libyan leader.

On arriving, Mr Gaddafi ordered them to sing and dance. When they ran out of tunes they were reprimanded by an aide. Eventually the good colonel told them they could stop, before dismissing them with words to the effect that he would never recognise Kosovo as long as their leaders remained American poodles. With that, the humiliated Kosovars were sent home.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/easternapproaches/2011/02/libyas_balkan_connections

Gaddafi.:worship:

Colonel Gaddafi wins whatever happens.:cool: What a legend.:worship:

#34 ·
#44 ·

USA are more concerned by the Oil Rights than the Human Rights. Their main problem now is that the entire world know what they think and it will be difficult to enlist minor nations into their "crusade to save the oil plants".

#45 ·

If I'm not mistaken, the rebells appealed for aid.

As for the death toll estimate - according to Libyan human right organizations. Intentionally estimates are lower (around 1000). Google it.

#46 ·

i dunno anything about this thing but as a general rule (minus some extremely rare exceptions), the answer should be nothing at all.

going by past history, odds are that whatever the west does, it will probably just make the situation worse.

#47 ·

doubt usa will get involved... as has been said, other nations will be shy of jumping into bed with the usa due almost entirely to the fact that it has been either massively discrediting or fatal to any government forming a 'coalition for oil'...

notwithstanding the fact the usa most likely do not want to tangle in foreign affairs likely to add cost to a deficit unlikely to ever be repaid...

#49 ·

according to russians satelital images, there were no bombings in libya as the media has been saying since last week. looking for reasons to invade libya? :wavey:
And you believe the Russians.. why exactly?

#51 ·

I smell another lefty wingnut conspiracy here. The bomb that landed beside the CNN crew looked pretty real to me.

But come to think of it, the landscape did look pretty much like the moon's surface. So that's my theory, the entire Libyan events are actually being filmed on the moon by NASA and then shown on CNN as being in Libya. Ben Wedeman is actually reporting from the moon, why do you think the shuttle just took off, people? Eh? Eh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.