Mens Tennis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafa Hatas & Co Chat Thread Subdued On Clay - Vol. 69

237K views 5K replies 50 participants last post by  scoobs 
#1 · (Edited)
Enjoy the coming spring with Rafa! :wavey:

Made the thread ready, will be back later with better titles, if you have any suggestions, my inbox is open. :D

#199 ·
Re: Rafa Chat Thread - Post Rafa Mania Hangover - Vol. 69

He wasn't even the best singer in Wham.

#203 ·

When Wham! got big, I remember being really outnumbered when I said that if I had to pick between the two guys, I would go for Ridgeley. I thought that GM looked a bit too much like a prancing poodle back then. :eek:

When he started keeping his hair short, it was a vast improvement but what I didn't like about that look is that the hair style (incl. the beard) appears to be a milimeter per milimeter job where every single detail of his face was studied, pampered, modelled,...
I prefer a slightly more careless look in men (emphasis on "slightly")

I do like GM's voice a lot, though. For some reason, the CD "Old" is my favorite because his voice sounds jazzy and very silky on that one.

#209 ·

Older is my favorite album ever, I know all the songs by heart with lyrics :eek: And i'm really not the type to do that.
And i have all GM's albums, another very, very unusual fact :eek:

He has an awsome voice, the kind of Freddie's and that duet with Lisa just proved it

And i heard a lot of morons that thought he just tried to imitate Freddie :retard:

Yeah, right, and i try to imitate Maria callas, see if I get it as right :rolleyes: x 100000000

#210 ·

Freddie what a performer, owned the stage.

#227 ·

Don't argue with WG. She's a stubborn girl and smart too. She can come up with dozen's of reasons to justify herself. :lol:

And to defend JM too. :inlove: :lol:
I feel for her.

And again, I'm reminded of Cripple Creek.

A drunkard's dream.
Please enlight me on that cripple creek song.

#226 · (Edited)

WG would be one of those people willling and able to defend that the earth is flat even if NASA would take her to the moon to admire the planet Earth as a globe just because she can. She's stubborn that way. :inlove:

-

Monopoly isn't a great option either but it beats a situation where 1 or 2 companies dominate the market and a couple of dwarf companies on the side, giving the impression of a competitive market when in fact, the main players can pretty much do what they want in an oligopoly market.

Maximizing profit while you're taking advantage of your powerful position by hiking up your prices as high as you can just to squeeze out your customers more and more because those costumers don't have much of a choice is not a foreign notion in capitalism obviously but that doesn't make it fair either.

The arrogance of the energy companies for example is unbelievable.

A number of years ago, the government was the one deciding on the bread price here (because it was considered to be an essential product) but now, the bakers can decide on their prices. The thinking was that competion will keep the bread price low.
That's the theory.
In reality, the prices have sky-rocketed. The bakers keep on increasing their prices to ridiculous levels, inventing one stupid reason after the other to explain their need to keep on increasing the price. They will increase the price when the oil price has gone up but they won't decrease it when the oil price goes down.

I remember having an argument with a bakery because they'd put up an explanation about the situation on the oil market which I knew was rubbish since I'd just read up on the actual situation at work.
I told them that for me, they have two choices:
Either, they put up a note explaining that their prices have gone up because they have their eyes set on a brand new Mercedes.
Or, they don't put up anything and just shove the prices down our throats without explaining anything.​
The problem is that bakers agree with each other on prices even though it's forbidden to make price deals. Who is going to check if one baker phones the other bakers in the city to propose to increase the price?

They stopped putting up signs.

In other words, for the essential goods and services people need to live a normal life, I do believe in a government having the power to limit the power of the giant companies.

#230 ·

WG would be one of those people willling and able to defend that the earth is flat even if NASA would take her to the moon to admire the planet Earth as a globe just because she can. She's stubborn that way. :inlove:

-

Monopoly isn't a great option either but it beats a situation where 1 or 2 companies dominate the market and a couple of dwarf companies on the side, giving the impression of a competitive market when in fact, the main players can pretty much do what they want in an oligopoly market.

Maximizing profit while you're taking advantage of your powerful position by hiking up your prices as high as you can just to squeeze out your customers more and more because those costumers don't have much of a choice is not a foreign notion in capitalism obviously but that doesn't make it fair either.

The arrogance of the energy companies for example is unbelievable.

A number of years ago, the government was the one deciding on the bread price here (because it was considered to be an essential product) but now, the bakers can decide on their prices. The thinking was that competion will keep the bread price low.
That's the theory.
In reality, the prices have sky-rocketed. The bakers keep on increasing their prices to ridiculous levels, inventing one stupid reason after the other to explain their need to keep on increasing the price. They will increase the price when the oil price has gone up but they won't decrease it when the oil price goes down.

I remember having an argument with a bakery because they'd put up an explanation about the situation on the oil market which I knew was rubbish since I'd just read up on the actual situation at work.
I told them that for me, they have two choices:
Either, they put up a note explaining that their prices have gone up because they have their eyes set on a brand new Mercedes.
Or, they don't put up anything and just shove the prices down our throats without explaining anything.​
The problem is that bakers agree with each other on prices even though it's forbidden to make price deals. Who is going to check if one baker phones the other bakers in the city to propose to increase the price?

They stopped putting up signs.

In other words, for the essential goods and services people need to live a normal life, I do believe in a government having the power to limit the power of the giant companies.
I think it needs a balance between control and free market.

Most theories fail in reality. I think that is not per se the problem, but admitting it and make the good corrections is. People like to cling to a paradigm. Free market is the best solution everything will sort itself out or the like. not gonna work. in essence everybody (except maybe some monks or so) is also a egoist and needs some degree of control.

#231 ·

I don't believe that you can use "capitalism" as a justification in all cases either.

Not for essential goods and services.

The fact that teachers, nurses are underpaid while football stars are overpaid is not fair but it is the reality in capitalism. That's a reality you're going to have to accept.
However, everybody should be able to afford the minimum they need to eat, live and take care of their health IMO. The fact that energy prices are going up so high that more and more people are getting in financial debt just to have a bit of warmth in their home at winter while that same energy company is raking in the cash and making huge profits isn't fair and it is not something we should accept IMO.

#238 ·

I don't believe that you can use "capitalism" as a justification in all cases either.
Oh I agree. Text book capitalism would probably not allow many problems that exist. in many real situation it is exactly the problem that there is no real capitalism I think.

Not for essential goods and services.
I think so too, some "businesses" should not be ruled by profit maximation eg. health care.

The fact that teachers, nurses are underpaid while football stars are overpaid is not fair but it is the reality in capitalism. That's a reality you're going to have to accept.
However, everybody should be able to afford the minimum they need to eat, live and take care of their health IMO. The fact that energy prices are going up so high that more and more people are getting in financial debt just to have a bit of warmth in their home at winter while that same energy company is raking in the cash and making huge profits isn't fair and it is not something we should accept IMO.
I don't really disagree here either.

#234 ·

The debate is crap because not everybody is applauding your stance on it, I take it.
When exactly did I state my views on the matter? :confused: :eek:

Data, in another attempt to stir shit, implied that my company made huge profits because we were under a monopoly, which is just plain bollocks... Of course you guys had to jump on whether communism is better than capitalism... :zzz:

#235 ·

Where did anybody write that communism is better than capitalism? Most economies are not that black and white.

Even so: that would be going from one extreme to the other and I think that both extremes are flawed & up for debate in any society.

I don't know enough about the situation in Switzerland to have an opinion on what your company does, JM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.