Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

26K views 342 replies 140 participants last post by  Chair Umpire 
#1 ·
What's the hunch like?

#78 ·
I subscribe to this post in its entirety. Although you'd have to fancy the field's chances (especially Nole) against a not fully sharp Nadal.

#81 ·
it has to be rafa until further notice.

#82 ·
Rafa, 7/7 in RG finals is something I'm not betting against.

I'm interested to see how well he does in SA and the MS1000 tourneys in MC, Rome and Madrid (if he plays that). If he plays well, then I'd back Nadal. If he slips, then definitely going to go with the guy who is only missing a French Open title to complete his career Grand Slam - Novak Djokovic!

#87 ·
Given the way Djokovic sent Fed packing last year and Fed's history at the event, I think it would be unlikely for him to lift the trophy.

Murray again has a poor record at the tournament, however he is improved and will probably make the QF if not the SF. Can't see him going further unless he gets a ridiculous draw and one of the other big guys has an off day.

Djokovic, though not as accomplished as he is on the plexicushion surface, was still the best of the rest last year on clay and the previous year. If Nadal is not fit and back to his usual self, then difficult to see how Novak isn't the next in line.

Delpo? Would be nice to see him win, but his game isn't suited to this court, he's not improved much since 2009 and so he's nowhere near where he should have been. Fav for FO? No and I don't think he'll get close either.

Nadal, well if he's fit and back to form only Djokovic can challenge him on this surface. It just goes to show how dominant he's been at this tournament, that his presence/absence could determine how the entire event pans out.

At this moment in time if I had to pick 1 player, I'd go for Djokovic. I can't see Nadal being able to come back from such a long injury to regain fitness and form quick enough to play at the high standard required.

#89 ·
Can't really say with confidence until Nadal is back. People just saying Nadal are basing it on nothing besides history. He'll probably win it but we don't know if he's coming back in the same condition as pre-injury.

#98 ·
Ferrer and Berdych? Please. Ferrer is a fluke no4. I guess you are hearing too much of the overblown dramatic comments from announcers and players talking about Ferrer's qualities and his workhorse attitude. He is a limited player at the end of the day. Berdych is not a contender on clay.

Del Potro showed in the past the potential to win over big guys on clay.

#107 ·
nadal if he comes back and can play.

#108 · (Edited)
Seems like the guy who has won 7 out of last 8 RG titles should be favored. Rafa will round into form with clay-lead up tournaments.

After that Federer or Djokovic would be my 2nd choice depending on who gets the more favorable draw (not in same QF/SF as Nadal).

And while Murray has played fantastically in the last year, I don't understand why oddsmakers would pick him over Federer at the French Open. Federer was the 2nd best clay court player in the world for a long time...Murray has had 2 QF and 1 SF there for his career. I don't see him moving beyond those stages at the French Open this year.

#110 ·
I do believe Murray is on upward curve with his performances at Roland Garros, factor in Lendl's vast experience and success at the tournament and the fact their relationship is a year stronger, I really wouldn't be surprised if he was to make the final.

What do people think Nadal's seeding will be?

#115 ·
If Nadal shows up, it means he's prepared. Given that there's a 99% chance that he'll show up, the choice is obvious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.