Miami 2010: Welcome Back, Paulo!

7K views 48 replies 12 participants last post by  Ome 
#1 · (Edited)
:bounce: Paulo's finally back in action :yippee:

Indian Wells' Draw:

Complete Draw

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Indian Wells 2010: Welcome Back, Paulo!

This definitely a decent draw! Good luck with it, Sunshine ;)

And... no more injury, please :angel:

#5 ·

Today's OOP:

COURT 4 start 11:00 am
[22] S Lisicki (GER) vs J Craybas (USA) - WTA
N Almagro (ESP) vs M Zverev (GER) - ATP
[7] N Li (CHN) vs [Q] E Baltacha (GBR) - WTA

Not Before 5:00 PM
P Mathieu (FRA) vs B Becker (GER) - ATP
V Hanescu (ROU) vs J Chela (ARG) - ATP

Have a good come back, Paulo! :rocker2:

#6 · (Edited)

The news are not very reassuring, I thought he had decided to postpone his comeback because he wanted to be sure that he would be perfectly fit, but he still is in pain, actually:

He says it's the toughest injury he's had in his career because it's very difficult to define and target the problem, he would have preferred a fracture which takes 6 months to recover. (Llodra said the same last year about his groin injury, he said the pain never completely disappears). One day he feels fine, the next day he's in pain again. He's been training for one month and a half without moving too much. He keeps saying to himself "allez, forget about the pain", but it's like he always puts the brake on then. His coach Malcor hopes he will be able to get over it.
It's getting better, though, he says the 3 months of physical training with Olivier Choupeau have brought huge improvement. "I have to accept playing through the pain until it disappears".

#7 ·

Hmmmmmmm....

I think he has ligament/tendon problem which is always so difficult to treat. Injection to the site can be done only once every 6 and even then it's so difficult to locate where the problem really is.

This is not what we want to hear. I thought he longer felt the pain. Now I doubt the playing-through-the-pain tactic will benefit him.

#8 ·

This is not what we want to hear. I thought he longer felt the pain. Now I doubt the playing-through-the-pain tactic will benefit him.
So do I. I don't believe in this attitude, always bad on a midterm basis. :awww:

#13 ·

Paulo won 6-3 6-1. Seemed like a close first set, he was down a BP when serving for it too :tape: After that it was one-sided :yeah:

Congrats on your first win of 2010, Paulo! :rocker2: Hope you're feeling OK :hug:

#16 ·

At last some good news (well, besides Henin's loss :devil: ) :bounce:
:rolleyes: Henin is the only woman holding a raquet worth watching!

Well done, Paolo. :yeah:

#19 ·

Her game is nice to watch, but I despise her character and personality ;)
She's the only WTA player I can stand to watch for an entire match :lol:

Hey, do you know if Universal Studio Singapore will be opened for public on the 18th? Info I find so far is confusing :scratch:

#20 ·

Sunday OOP

COURT 4 start 11:00 am

[15] F Schiavone (ITA) vs [19] A Rezai (FRA) - WTA
[28] F Lopez (ESP) vs P Mathieu (FRA) - ATP
[6] B Mattek-Sands (USA) / Z Yan (CHN) vs [WC] T Garbin (ITA) / J Jankovic (SRB) - WTA
T Berdych (CZE) / P Kohlschreiber (GER) vs [2] B Bryan (USA) / M Bryan (USA) - ATP
F Lopez (ESP) / F Verdasco (ESP) vs [WC] M Ancic (CRO) / M Fish (USA) - ATP
[Q] R Mello (BRA) vs [24] A Montanes (ESP) - ATP

#22 ·

Paulo said in l'equipe that he still feels the pain, but he played through it in the first match :scared:

#24 ·

He lost to Lopez in three sets. He had an early chance to break in the second, but couldn't take it.

I hope he re-evaluates his decision. Maybe he should skip Miami and continue with a light fitness training that doesn't put his injury to the test :shrug:

#25 ·

From his Facebook:

INDIAN WELLS FINI...Mais point positif: moins de DOULEUR... Le rythme des matchs va revenir petit a petit... Miami next...un peu d entrainement maintenant pour bien se préparer et aller un peu plus loin qu'ici...:) Merci a tous pour vos messages!

#29 ·

In L'Equipe today:
« Je suis allé me voir sur YouTube »
Paul-Henri Mathieu ne savait plus comment il jouait quand il était bon. Alors, il s’est rafraîchi la mémoire.

« Y AVAIT LA PLACE pour battre Feliciano Lopez ici (défaite 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 dimanche). C’est dommage et décevant, mais il ne faut pas oublier d’où je reviens. Je gagne du terrain contre la douleur chaque jour. D’abord le genou, après la pubalgie, ça faisait quatre mois que je n’avais pas osé des courses et des freinages secs. Contre Lopez, trois ou quatre fois, j’y suis allé à fond. Or, chez moi, le physique est essentiel. C’est la base de mon jeu. Aujourd’hui, je suis même plus fort qu’avant là-dessus. Je suis devenu souple à force de faire des étirements. Pendant que tout le monde était à l’Open d’Australie, moi, je passais mes matinées à l’hôpital de Clamart. Moralement, c’était pas terrible à vivre. J’ai perdu du temps à me soigner mais, au moins, j’ai pu réfléchir à mon jeu. Avec Olivier (Malcor, son coach depuis quatre mois), on a énormément discuté de ça. Mais il y a mieux : je sais de nouveau comment je jouais quand j’étais bon (12e mondial en avril 2008, il est aujourd’hui 41e). C’est marrant comme on peut douter de soi. Il y a quatre ou cinq jours, je suis allé me voir sur YouTube. J’ai revu des bouts de mes victoires contre Cañas à Montréal (2007) et Naso àMunich (2008). C’est bizarre, mais je me souviens vachement mieux des défaites. Bref, j’ai pu voir qu’à l’époque je ne faisais jamais de faute en revers. C’est dingue comment ça m’a frappé. C’est dingue d’avoir pu oublier ça. C’était quand même moi qui jouais et ce n’est pas si vieux. Sur YouTube, j’ai vu que je pouvais tenir n’importe qui en diagonale de revers. Voilà, j’avais besoin de revoir ces images. Ce n’est pas trop tard, je n’ai que vingt-huit ans. C’est une deuxième carrière qui commence. » – Frédéric Bernès

#30 · (Edited)

He says that Lalo was beatable, it's too bad and disappointing he lost, but he has to remember where he's coming from. He gains ground against the pain with every passing day. With the knee issue and then the groin problem, it's been 4 months he hadn't dared to run and stop normally. He did it 3-4 times against Lopez.
The physical part is essential for his game. And today he's stronger in that regard. He has done so much stretching that he's less stiff. While everybody was down under, he was spending his mornings in the hospital of Clamart. Not great for his morale, but at least he had time to think about his game. They talked a lot about it with Malcor, his new coach.
But the most important thing is that he now knows again how he used to play when he played well. It's funny how a player can doubt himself. "4-5 days ago, I watched videos of me on YouTube. I watched bits of my wins over Cañas in Montreal (2007) and Naso in Munich (2008). It's weird, but I remember the defeats much better. Anyhow, I saw that I was hardly missing with my BH back then. I was really struck by that. It's crazy I didn't remember it. I'm that player and it's not that old! I saw on Youtube that I'm able to hold against anybody in a cross BH rallye. I needed to see that again. It's not too late, I'm only 28 years old. A 2nd career is starting."

#31 ·

Thank you for the translation, Fran.

Heyyyyy, I was JUST watching the video of him against Canas in Montreal!

It has always been how I operate as Paulo fan. I choose to re-watch his good/great/amazing performance. I ordered like 5 DVDs of his memorable matches, including his two wins in 2002. 90% of the matches I have of him are ones that he won :lol: It's easier that way, to remember the good times. I can't believe he let himself drown in the losses... His shrink hasn't been doing a great job, has he? :p

Although I don't really like the playing-through-the-pain situation, but I love the changing in attitude. :yeah:
Nothing but support from us, Paulo! :hug:

#33 ·

Where did you buy your cd's with his matches?
The name of the website was in my e-mail that got hacked so I don't have it anymore, sorry.
I guess you can just Google tennis dvd and Paulo name?

#36 ·
Good luck Paulo!

(I really hope he isn't still playing in pain though. :()

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.