Mens Tennis Forums banner

Fabio Fognini - The Hope of Italy

179K views 904 replies 101 participants last post by  RU90 
#1 ·
This kid is just 17 and even though he may be far from the heights of Nadal, Monfils and Gasquet at such an age, Fognini is a real bright spot for Italian tennis.

Number 501 in the world you may think there is no big deal, but this year is his first main year and hes already won a futures event in SPain as well as being in the final of another in Italy. Now in the Olbia CHallenger event he is in the quarters beating Luzzi in round 2.

So With this result he will be in the top 500 for sure and will move up quite a few places. A few more succesful challengers and he should hopefully be recognised on the challneger tour!

#591 ·
Forza Fabio!!!! :)

#592 ·
close to losing in 1st round qualies against a Challenger player

served for the match at 6-5 in the 3d and had 5-2 in TB
good that he managed to save MPs this time

Vliegen next

#594 ·
well, he made the MD after a 3set win against Vliegen

much effort these days between matches and flights

hopefully he has a good draw although seeing the draw hardly he can win more than 1 match

#595 ·
Well, he had a very busy schedule the last 3 days and I think he did very well. At least he has tomorrow off to relax :)

Forza Fabio :)

#598 ·
good that in few days he should be ready for Rome

#600 ·
Fognini had a thigh problem, this plus he didn't want to be there.

#601 ·
No point going to Barca after a good run in Monte Carlo, forced to play qualy., knowing Rome is next week, just in the run for money, and then showing such a performance, some spectators actually paid to see that match, i feel awful for them....

#602 ·
if he didnt want to give it a try here he would have tanked the first round qualies

#604 ·
A few pics of Fabio I took in Madrid on Tuesday (training with Chucho in the morning, then the match against PHM - with the bleeding line judge after Fabio hit him unintentionally with his racquet! - and he was also watching Ljubo-Tsonga):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30572624@N03/sets/72157618040535477/

His match against PHM was quite fun to watch, such a rollercoaster from both players, I found Fabio much funnier to see in person than on TV, it was very entertaining to watch his antics.

#605 ·
Im surprised he had to qualify for the French Open. Must have just missed the cut off, but anyway he is in the final qualifying round today so good luck :)

#607 ·
with the qualification he improves his best ranking

#608 ·
With a luckier draw he could have been a worthy darkhorse. Unfortunately Andreev was his first round opponent and they gave a great 5 set battle. Andreev won 75 in the last :(

Still a good qualification and tournament for Fabio. He really should be breaking the top 50 soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.