Mens Tennis Forums banner

If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

80K views 741 replies 172 participants last post by  Johnbert 
#1 ·
at total weeks at No. 1!

1. Federer 302
2. Sampras 286
3. Lendl 270
4. Connors 268
5. McEnroe 170
6. Borg 109
7. Nadal 102
8. Agassi 101
9. Hewitt 80
10. Edberg 72
11. Courier 58
12. Djokovic 56

#608 ·
And that's Novak's fault? :superlol:

Get back in this thread when Federror is within touching distance of Novak let alone Dull's points.

I'm sure he'll go on a tear and win Wimbledon, Toronto, Cincy, USO Shanghai, Basel, Paris, and WTF as

what you seem to be suggesting. :spit: Nothing Novak can do there. I admit. :lol:

#609 ·
If Djokovic loses points and Fed gains points it could happen. Why not ? IF Del Potro defeat Djokovic in Canada in QF he will get only 180 points and Fed gets to F he will have 600 points. So US open this could happen as well. No one can say what will happen in future but it can happen.

#611 ·
The second half of season he can do much better and Murray,Del Potro and other guys as well. Why do you wonder ? What is so tough for you to get? I say it can happen maybe it will not happen but there is a chance, If Fed takes Wimbledon why not ? Last year how Fed got #1 ? IMO after he defeated Novak in SF at Wimbledon and he won Wimbledon. I think Novak had 5000 points ahead back then.

#612 ·
Last year how Fed got #1 ? IMO after he defeated Novak in SF at Wimbledon and he won Wimbledon. I think Novak had 5000 points ahead back then.
Get your facts together. Last year Novak was around 2800 points ahead and was defending Wimbledon, now Novak has over 4000 and is defending only semis, while Roger is defending the title and will drop more Olympic points as well.

#613 ·
Ok Djokovic has around 4090 points more but after Wimbledon Fed has
only 2800 points to defend and can gain extra points. Djokovic has 5800 points to defend. 1500points are from London so he had 4300 points to defend to London but if he makes a mistake he will lose points. And Fed can gain at US Open 1640 + in Canada/ he did not play/
Basel as well.

#618 ·
The difference in YE#1 "Race to London" between Rafa and Novak is about 2000 points. Since Rafa is already out, whatever Novak does will reduce the difference. If Novak were to win at Wimbledon, Novak will be ahead of Rafa by 20 points.

If Novak were to win Wimbledon, his tally will include 2 Majors , 1 Masters. Rafa @ that point would have 1 Major and 3 Masters.

#619 ·
Djokovic will balance things out in Wimbledon. If he reaches the final he will be just 800 points behind in the race and if he wins he will be on par with nadal.

It will all come down to who has a better 2nd half of the season, mainly in the 4 masters 1000, the USO and the WTF. Nadal's record on 3 of those masters 1000, excluding Montreal, are awful. WTF he has a 9-10 match record. I think Djokovic will retain his #1 until the end of the year.
As some have said, nadal will probably have a better shot at getting to #1 in the 2014 AO.

#621 ·
Pepita, dear...Points gained in year 2013 count for end year rank in 2013. Therefor points gained in 2012 count for NOTHING. At this moment Federer has to outdo Novak by more than 2500 points till the end of the year to get ahead of him. It will not happen due to simple fact that he will play less and skip some tournaments like he already stated long ago. Even if he does play more he actually needs to start winning...
Nadal ruled him self out with this round 1 loss and would need to have stellar 2nd half of the year to have a shot at #1 spot, that will not happen as well. He was poor/average in that period even when he was at his best.
Only Murray can challenge Novak for #1 spot now but his inability on clay and lack of points from there are hurting his chances badly.

#624 ·
Fed will play in Canada and Cincy but last year he did not play in Canada, So if Djokovic slips a bit
there like in Madrid and IW or Miami how on earth
he is going to gain points. At US OPen both Murray and Djokovic has to defend a lot 2000 and 1200 but Federer only 360 so he could gain as well there. Then you have after US Open Djokovic has 3000 points but 1500 are from London Fed has 1460 and only 800 are from London.So Fed again has a chance to gain points but Novak only could defend so can not gain more.As i said Fed has a chance but that does not mean he will do it.If you did not notice Fed did not play a lot in first half of season so he is more fresher than last year but Murray as well. Why everyone think it is not possible i can not get it.Did not Fed prove that he can do it last year? When everyone writes him off then Fed proves how wrong they are. Everything depends on Wimbledon and then US open .

#623 ·
Murray has 2013 YE no.1 in the bag

Queens-Wimbledon-Cinci-USO-Tokyo-Shanghai-WTF are all in the bag

#625 ·
i have a feeling pepita doesn't want nole to be YE#1 :lol:

#629 ·
Pepita, defending points has NO bearing on who is the year-end #1 player. The Ye#1 is determined by the accumulation of points from January to November, the calendar season.

#631 ·
OK If Djokovic loses to Haas in 4rd at Wimbledon how many points he will gain in " Race to London" ? AND If Federer wins Wimbledon how points he will gain ? Yes Djokovic will not lose #1 after W but he will not gain a lot of points as well. The same goes for Nadal who is out and can not gain any points in Wimbledon. What is so hard to get ?
If Federer goes to #5 and plays Djokovic in QF at US Open and Fed defeats him and then wins this GS how many points they will gain? Fed 2000 and Novak 360, It happened at FO Djokovic gained only 720 but Rafa 2000 . If it happens in three tournaments in a row with these lucky draws how on earth Novak ,Fed or Rafa would gain points for Race to London if you are out of tournament in QF or SF ? That is what i say.

#634 ·
Pepita dear...like I said Federer needs to start winning first before you make claims of him reaching #1 again. It will not happen this year for sure.

#633 ·
Pepita, you complicate things too much plus all of yours 'IF' theories mean nothing at the moment. they are just your theories. Whoever accumulate most points in 2013 will be YE#1. I realize, as a Fed fan, you want Fed to be YE#1 and that's fine with me. If he does outperform everyone else he will be.

The thing is though, Fed hasn't showed too much this year. I'm also not sure how motivated he is to play all tournaments and get back to #1. Realistically, with Djokovic, Murray and Nadal around it is going to be difficult. However it is a possibility.

#635 ·
With Fed out and Nadal out Djokovic is 90% certain to overtake Nadal ....

#637 ·
Aaand, with his win against Haas Djokovic secured his #1 spot till October 1st at least. That means he'll be ahead of Nadal at weeks spent as #1 in the world. If he wins against Berdych he will secure it long enough to overtake Borg as well to become #6 in the open era history.
To reach McEnroe at #5 he'll need a year and 4 months more from this point on, which is not given but doable. To reach Connors at #4 he would need more than 3 years more and that doesn't seem likely. I'll be ok with #5 though :) .

#638 ·
Gotta laugh at McEnroe's opening Wimbledon comments on Nadal possibly being the GOAT when you look at that list - how is it possible that a GOAT candidate be so far down the (only Open era) list with so few weeks at #1. Can the GOAT have the RECORD number of weeks at #2? Can someone have 200 weeks (nearly 4 years) more than the GOAT? Nadal's main claim to fame is that he is the GOAT on clay and a massive mismatch for the real GOAT.

#649 ·
This is a weak era with mugs like Janowicz. I keed. I keed.

#656 ·
come on Andy. Time is up for you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.