Mens Tennis Forums banner

If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

80K views 741 replies 172 participants last post by  Johnbert 
#1 ·
at total weeks at No. 1!

1. Federer 302
2. Sampras 286
3. Lendl 270
4. Connors 268
5. McEnroe 170
6. Borg 109
7. Nadal 102
8. Agassi 101
9. Hewitt 80
10. Edberg 72
11. Courier 58
12. Djokovic 56

#40 ·
still long way to go but not impossible.

#41 ·
In EGG and gluten free diet we trust.:rocker2:

#50 ·
Djokovic is a real man with a heavy burden on him
because media trolls are bitter haters.
He has charm, so only jealous Fed fans hate him.

Federina can only depend on self-involved flattery.

He says he's dominant when no one else cares to play well.
Remember, clowns also beat him & won 2 Mickey Mouse titles just like him.

He claimed he was exhausted after finally playing Davis Cup & winning a Masters title after 2 years of winning none. That US Open semi hurt him. Booohoooo. :tears:

#52 ·
Djoker did more than the so-called things federer did to Roddickboy.

#56 ·
Federer was surpassed by Roddick, but Roddick was overhyped for the press in 2003.
Both needed propaganda to intimidate gullible opponents.

Djoker wins and wins, but the media wasn't necessary to help him.

#62 ·
In the cases of Becker, Edberg, & Wilander, the explanation is simple: look at how many weeks McEnroe, Lendl, & Sampras spent at No. 1. Becker, Edberg, & Wilander were just unlucky that one or other of the other 3 was around and usually doing that bit better, just as Nadal was unlucky to be playing at the same time as Federer.

#59 · (Edited)
As much as people like to harp on and on about how much Nadal has taken away from Federer (and Nadal has, to be sure, e.g., perhaps two calendar year slams, perhaps 10 slam wins in a row, etc., etc.), it is interesting that Federer's massive point totals in 2005, 2006, and 2007 prevented Nadal from reaching #1 even though Nadal had point totals that would have garnered him the #1 ranking in many other years. Had Federer not been able to win as much as he did in in those three-and-a-half years (and it took a LOT of winning to keep Nadal at bay), Nadal could easily be at 200+ weeks at #1.

Of course, if, if, if...

#60 ·
this is an interesting way to look at it, and it's amusing how people often criticize Nadal for being a #2 for so long as though it is extremely detrimental but ignore this fact; he did indeed amass a huge amount of points in some of those seasons, particularly 2005, Federer was just sublime again and again.

certainly the case that Nadal's weeks at #1 are a bit deceptive as far as representing his overall status and affect on tour as far as career accomplishments

#63 ·
You can't think Fed, Safin, Hewitt & Roddick were the best because of Slams.
That's absurd.

#67 ·
Actually, Djoker had fans when Federer called him a joke 6 years ago. No need for press insults, lies, arrogance and media hype to scare off losers on tour.

#72 ·
ah, as much as I love Fed's game, that's one thing I can't forgive Fed. He was so arrogant towards a young Nole, putting him down saying all kind of things when Nole was a young nobody ... My strong believe is that experienced players should show understanding and support to the young ones. Novak has never said anything negative about Fed, yet Fed felt like a God and BS so much. sorry guys.

oh well, it doesn't really matter any more. Fed is much more humble nowadays ... but, but, but

#74 ·
Unless Novak racks up a pile of more slams and weeks at number 1, the ranking stuff doesn't matter for his career nor for Rafas. For them, just getting to number was the achievement as when comparing stats and history, their small weeks at number one won't really account for anything. Plus, just to show the strangeness of it, if Novak were to surpass Rafa in 2013 for weeks at #1, he could theoretically do it will like 1 slam I suppose, so if that were the case, a current 6 slam champ has more weeks than a 11 slam champ. Of course slam success doesn't necessarily mean #1 spot in our sport, but it just goes to show unless he is really racking up the numbers, it doesn't matter right now.

#86 ·
Six slam winner having more weeks than eleven slam winner is not especially newsworthy. Becker with his seven is behind Roddick with his one. These things happen, even in the ATP (In the WTA this is of course more common). They are different accomplishments, you don't automatically get the other if you get one.

#77 ·
We from Balkans are very famous with faking and Novak is not different. Sometimes he really overdone the things but never mind. So he is not a saint at all like Nadal.And Federer is not a first or last player who blamed Novak for his MTO there were Monfils,Tsonga,Robredo,Lleyton,Roddick and I can you say when and what happened to every player so do not say it is just Federer but because it is Federer yes. How dare this Federer to say something to Nole? Who is he? And what Nole parents said? If Nole was so sick so many years and with those money do you think he could not find a doctor and waited to 2010 .Gluten free for 30 or 40 days and is a new born and start winnig and could not stop. Who stop him this bad Federer at FO SF. OMG how dare this Federer to play tennis ?

#80 ·
oh Pepita, sorry but you are so full of sh!t. you have no clue what you talking about, but hey, typing is free. I hope you use some nail polish. You guys have that in Mexico?

Who is Djokovic? it's hard to explain, happen to be number 1 in the world. Who the heck is Fed?

Listen, seriously, Novak def. 'prime Fed' at Montreal 2007, kicked his ass at the AO 2008. please

#78 ·
Why are other players struggling but Djoker's number 1?
He's not like junk food eating, fat ass Roddick.
Djoker really loved self-respect.

Fish stopped eating so much & surpassed Roddick in the rankings. Fish got heart problems, but Fed never sent him a get well card.

How come Fed didn't criticize these overweight, unfit guys who took time outs, screamed at the umpire & cancelled tournaments on clay? Oh right, they couldn't beat him and amaze everyone with tennis, #1 & charisma.

#85 ·
Two years YE #1 but 54 weeks so one year is 52 weeks but two years are 54 weeks. So it is good for him but i did know that two years are 54 weeks. Sampras was YE#1 six years but Federer has more weeks as #1,more GS,more titles,more MS. What i want to say is Fed has the best record 237 consecutive weeks as #1 and no one can broken it soon.

#106 ·
Two years YE #1 but 54 weeks so one year is 52 weeks but two years are 54 weeks. So it is good for him but i did know that two years are 54 weeks. Sampras was YE#1 six years but Federer has more weeks as #1,more GS,more titles,more MS. What i want to say is Fed has the best record 237 consecutive weeks as #1 and no one can broken it soon.
I will broken you if you don't stop this assault on the English language.

#98 ·
That is because Fed never retired during the match and now Djokovic has grown up and he matured.You need to respect your opponent sometimes you win
sometimes you loss but that is the sport.It was good that Djokovic won it he proved that he is a POY .Federer did not need that again and i think he knows that very well. IMO they played good match and i love their rivalry much more than one with Rafa.

#104 ·
Nole had a mediocre season by his high standards and yet he managed to finish the year ranked number 1. Things can only get better for him in 2013. 2 slams a near certainty. Unless Rafa is fully recovered it's going to phenomenally hard to dislodge Nole from his beloved no.1 ranking in 2013.

#111 ·
If Freak3yGOAT wins 87 grand slams then he'll only be 172 slams away from Mandy :shrug:

#132 · (Edited)
On topic Djokovic has got so many points in rankings in last months that his ranking is much better protected than the rankings of the ones behind him imo. I think that Djokovic will be a very solid number 1 for most of next year but behind him, many things may happen from Fed, Murray, Nadal to Ferrer for number 2 to 4 seeds (and Del Po and Berdych can also trouble them).

That's why yes, I see him as number 1 until late last year and overtaking Nadal for the number of weeks as number 1. And will probably stay ahead of Nadal for that stat in the future as well imo.

For the number of slams, I also think there's a good chance he overtakes Nadal for the number of slams.

Actually I expect him to dominate for several years and I fully understand that he aims at Sampras's record of 6 end-of-year number 1 rankings.

Yes, I think that with time going, Djokovic will be more and more recognized as one of the greatest players. Actually, since 2008, I've anticipated he would reach Lendl's, McEnroe's and Connors's category actually (I put Murray with Becker, Edberg and Wilander). So far I put Nadal still a bit higher but it can change.

#164 ·
On topic Djokovic has got so many points in rankings in last months that his ranking is much better protected than the rankings of the ones behind him imo. I think that Djokovic will be a very solid number 1 for most of next year but behind him, many things may happen from Fed, Murray, Nadal to Ferrer for number 2 to 4 seeds (and Del Po and Berdych can also trouble them).

That's why yes, I see him as number 1 until late last year and overtaking Nadal for the number of weeks as number 1. And will probably stay ahead of Nadal for that stat in the future as well imo.

For the number of slams, I also think there's a good chance he overtakes Nadal for the number of slams.

Actually I expect him to dominate for several years and I fully understand that he aims at Sampras's record of 6 end-of-year number 1 rankings.

Yes, I think that with time going, Djokovic will be more and more recognized as one of the greatest players. Actually, since 2008, I've anticipated he would reach Lendl's, McEnroe's and Connors's category actually (I put Murray with Becker, Edberg and Wilander). So far I put Nadal still a bit higher but it can change.
Really? He needs 4 more. Will he be YE no.1 in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016? I doubt it. He will be 26 next year i.e. end of 2016 he'd have to be 30 and the no.1 player. His game isn't like Federer with lots of cheap points - he declined a bit in 2012 vs 2011 and no reason to think he'll be better at age 28 than he is now. Don't think that figure is reachable nor do I see him being this committed for 4 more years.

As for reaching Nadal's number of slams, for one that assumes Nadal will stay at 11. Nadal, body permitting, seems to be planning on playing at least the next 3-4 years. If we assume at least 2 of those he will be elite that's 8+ slams he could contend at - chances that he won't win even one of the next 3 FOs? Low. If Nadal ends up with 13 hypothetically, Novak will need 9 more slams to overtake him! 9! That's as many as Lendl in a career!

Even now he needs to win 7 to overtake Nadal! This is with Murray clearly showing that he can hang with Novak on HCs i.e. AO and USO will not be gimmes. Add in Del Potro and some new guys - a Janowicz or someone we've never heard of. The fact is winning slams isn't easy. Novak has the pedigree and talent to win a lot but he'll need some luck too.

Overall I see him ending up in a Lendl like position - LOT of consistency, lot of finals, long time at no.1, but fewer slams than his top rivals (Fedal) and a rung below them in the all-time great stakes. Nadal, like Borg, will have historically a short time as no.1 relative to his stature but in the context of him being no.2 to Federer for so long that's understandable.

#135 ·
no man he wont.........Nadal is back no more fluke Slams for Maestro
Ah, the irony. A Djokovic fan calling Federer's SEVENTH Wimbledon title a fluke. :lol:

The only fluke was Djokovic winning his first ever and so far only grass title at Wimbledon, similar to Agassi and Stich(won more titles on grass in the future).

History tells us the players who won their very first grass title at Wimbledon in the past 35 years never won Wimbledon again.

Agassi's sole grass title during his long career was precisely that Wimbledon title. Will Djokovic emulate that?

That's flukey.:wavey:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.