Mens Tennis Forums banner

Indian Wells R2: Murray mugs past Donskoy and lifts the IW curse 5-7 6-2 6-2

5K views 79 replies 55 participants last post by  born_on_clay 
#1 ·
:facepalm:

I'm a big Murray fan but that was just horrible. Donskoy just ran out of gas.

At least the IW curse is lifted. If Andy somehow makes the Semi Final I don't fancy his chances against Djoko King at all.

#15 ·
what was he doing there for almost two months
I thought he was training hard :(

#11 ·
Absolutely disgusting from one slam wonder.Hooligan is disgrace for the game.

#12 ·
No it was more Murray finding his range I think. Murray was missing neutral forehands by several feet in the first set. It was a really awful start. Like he didn't warm up/ the rust from not playing since the AO.

Anyways at least he avoided the 3peat. That's all I was hoping for IW.

#69 ·
I have no idea why people are ragging on Murray like he can't play tennis these days :mad: excluding a 5-1 start, Donskoy won 6 games in over 2 sets of tennis.. last 2 sets were 6-2 6-2 easy enough. Murray had a bunch of break points in the 1st set, just didn't convert.. and furthermore Donskoy is not just some challenger player, he is talented and up and coming, he rallies well, and he hangs in there with the big guys but then seizes up in key moments and gets tired out (just like he did here) especially with his serve.

Murray almost always coasts through these early rounds, he hadn't played in 6 weeks, and thus wanted to start off by feeding Donskoy some balls and getting his feet wet a bit. After dropping that set though, just after almost breaking Donskoy, he righted the ship and figured it out, finishing the match off.. I really can't complain.

#13 ·
He hasn't played for a while, was rusty and playing poorly against a very game opponent, lost the first set but got into his groove, came back and won. What's the big deal? I saw the commentary thread and it was full of pathetic kids jizzing themselves over him losing the first set and people getting carried away thinking a sensational upset was on the cards..... oh for a bit of common sense...

#17 ·
Sky saying he played well after being 1-5 down. I think he then played solidly, but nothing special

#22 ·
Murray will be glad to have scraped through, he looked like he hadn't picked up a tennis racket since the Australian Open.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Murray come good later in the week though, we've seen this story so many times before when hes been awful early scraped through then improved round by round and gone deep in the tournament.

#25 ·
I advice him not to take long breaks, he was almost sleepwalking in first set but got back from score 5-1 to 5-5 and than tanked again and somehow sort it out after that , but still he struggles with his own serve and you can actually see he's capable of so much more with such variety of shots he 's able to play yet still clowns around in intorvertic manner..It's so irritating sometimes ..Just please brainwash him!

#31 ·
How can a professional tennis player run out of stamina after one set?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.