15K views 131 replies 18 participants last post by  RoddickFan88 
#1 ·
His section at San Jose:

(7) Donald Young USA - Michael Russell USA
Denis Istomin UZB - (WC) Sam Querrey USA
(WC) Jack Sock USA - Qualifier
(2) Andy Roddick USA - Bye

#64 · (Edited)
I went to the exo at the last minute last night and I'm glad I went, it was better than I was expecting. Andy the showman was very entertaining (loved the Nadal impersonation, he always won the point when he played like Rafa :rolls: ). It was a huge crowd but seats were still available (I bought my tickets at the window during the Masha-Wozzy match). Small relief to see Andy wearing his ankle braces again. :bigclap: No, the win doesn't count but who knows maybe it was the tonic he needed to rehab his confidence and find his game again. I will be optimistic for him this spring. :)

*edit*

Excellent, somebody uploaded the video already :D :worship:

#71 ·
This is painful. Especially his serve, and his second serve return :help:

#72 ·
Yes, painful to watch indeed :( He's struggling playing, and I'm struggling watching this.

#73 ·
Well, something bizarre happened when Kubot broke to serve for the match and Andy's switch went on and he played so much better for the most part :rolls: One of his better wins in a while I guess. don't remember the last time he really came back from the brink and won.

#74 ·
Far from being pretty, but a hell of gutsy win. I had lost all hopes, when Andy was 4:6, 4:5* down. That was one brilliant return game. Finally. Broke Kubot to love, although Lukasz did clown it up a little by himself as well.

So, he has earned an opportunity to play (most likely) Berdych. Well, has to serve and return much better than this to give himself a chance. This rather slow IW court should be a factor in his favor during baseline exchanges, but overall I am not having my hopes up for the next match.

Thanks God he won. Doesn't even matter, how it happened, ugly or not, just the fact that he won a match makes me happy :)

#75 ·
Finally he showed that he gives a shit on court. I thought he was headed for another routine straight set loss. I've been use to so many losses these last 2 years but at least he never went down easy. So many losses recently where it feels he went down without a fight.

It kills me to think of how great that IW/Miami run in 2010 was. That match with Nadal was AMAZING and was in such impecable form. It's crazy and heartbreaking to realize he literally hasn't been anywhere close to the same since. It's been 2 years of mediocre to meh results.

#77 · (Edited)
Dramatic win for all of the Andy fans! If you were like me, you were exploding off your seat with joy at times and sinking into the couch hiding your face at others. Great win...some parts Andy of old with blazing forehand returns/groundies and other parts Andy of new with sensible backhand winners and passing shots.

That's the good stuff.

The bad...Andy's serve seems as attackable as ever. The GM haters of 7-9 years ago might finally see where he'd be ranked without his legendary weapon. I'm guessing he can't beat anyone in the top 30 without it. That means Berdy will handle him quite easily... :(

#80 ·
Staying up so late and watching this is a real torture indeed. Well, no winners (except 3 aces) in the 1st set, lost the set on a double fault, and completely outplayed in all departments :shrug: Plus, that stupid quarrel with the umpire about not letting to challenge at the start of the match.

Ok, will keep torturing myself with this match :lol: Hopefully, he stays unbroken as long as possible in this second set :sobbing:

#81 · (Edited)
Ok, I don't know, what will happen in the 3rd set, but he somehow managed to win this one (3 winners in this set), and this was a very positive ending for the set. He was finally serving big again, in his last service game he regularly hit over 130 mph, once even 139 mph down the T (which unfortunately was a let), and also much more positive play, didn't only push, but also was trying to hit bigger shots.

Fingers crossed for the 3rd set now.

#83 ·
Andy lost. Apart from the dismal 1st set, which winded up retirement thoughts in my mind, and the last game, when he kinda gave up, it was a reasonably decent effort. Tomas' shots are too big, he really was hitting the ball very cleanly tonight, lots of superb winners from FH side, Andy cannot defend well enough against them and seemed to be a half a step slow all the time.

Keep fighting, Andy :hug: Good luck in Miami now, try to gather up some ranking points there.

#84 ·
Andy can't beat anyone good anymore.
The serve will always be his biggest weapon, but it is not much of a weapon anymore. Andy gets broken all the time. He actually breaks serve, returns good, but can't hold. If he can't hold, he has no chance against top players. And as we have seen this year, also against other guys.
I thought Kubot match is going to lift him, but obviously that is not the case. It is sad, Roddick was beating Berdych pretty regularly in the past. I know that Tomas is too much for Andy indoors or on clay, but on American outdoor hard court...and Andy needed a big win very very much.
It's hard to be optimistic for the future.

Sorry for the rant, just had go get rid of some of the emotions and couldn't come up with a better place to do it.

#87 ·
Looks like Andy will be seeded #32 in Miami...

I think he could have more chances as unseeded. Being seeded 25-32 means he again has to play Top 8 in Round 3. As unseeded he could have lucky in the draw at has to play top 8 for example in Round 4. If players like Andujar had lucky draw and made 4th Round...everything could be possible :rolleyes:

#91 ·
At first glance I didn't notice Roger in 3rd round and thought to myself - aha, ok, that's adequate...

Then I saw that Roger is next and my first reaction was :facepalm:

Well, one step at a time. Hopefully, he is able to get to Roger and... khemm... to make it close.

#92 ·
He has no right to expect anything better. So.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.