American Spring Break 2013 - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #46
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Spring Break 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Now THAT'S the Richie we need to see EVERY time on the court - fantastic attitude and fight.
I agree for the fighting part, but Richard can play better tennis than he showed today. That BH to get to BP at 3 all third set, was outright , though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhJOmt8O3Hs around7:15.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 AM   #47
country flag afterglows

afterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the video. That shot

So, Berdych next. Hope he starts the match better than last week. He will not be the favorite, but there is some reasons to hope:
  • the ankle is getting better
  • reaching QF going through a tough match against Almagro is probably a good confidence boost
  • the surface suits his game

Allez Richie!!

Thanks to Simon, Gasquet could get the number 9 ranking next week if Simon and Cilic don't go too far in the tournement.

Tsonga seems to be somehow in a confidence crisis. Do you think the clay season will be Richard's occasion to regain to french number 1 spot?

afterglows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #48
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterglows View Post
Tsonga seems to be somehow in a confidence crisis. Do you think the clay season will be Richard's occasion to regain to french number 1 spot?
Tough, as long as Tsonga's Wimby semifinal counts. Thereafter, it is more likely.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 03-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #49
country flag Puschkin

Seems as if I am the only one enjoying Richard's win over Berdych.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 03-29-2013, 02:19 AM   #50
country flag afterglows

afterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond repute

First Top 10 win of the season!!!

I'm so definitely in love with his backhand.
I wish he could always play with the same confidence as he did tonight.

Next Murray.
I hope that he will fight and play at a good level. There is always great points in this match up.
There is just one thing that I don't want to see: Richard losing after being a set and a break up vs Andy.

Allez!! Good luck in SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
Tough, as long as Tsonga's Wimby semifinal counts. Thereafter, it is more likely.
Things are looking better and better for our guy. But yes, still tough.
The #9 is a lock for next week with Cilic's loss. And Richard just passed King Roger at the race.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:20 AM   #51
country flag aliasthad

aliasthad has a reputation beyond reputealiasthad has a reputation beyond reputealiasthad has a reputation beyond reputealiasthad has a reputation beyond reputealiasthad has a reputation beyond reputealiasthad has a reputation beyond reputealiasthad has a reputation beyond reputealiasthad has a reputation beyond reputealiasthad has a reputation beyond reputealiasthad has a reputation beyond reputealiasthad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
Seems as if I am the only one enjoying Richard's win over Berdych.
Me too! I saw the match!

Very impressive from Gasquet.

And I get to see Seb too...
aliasthad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #52
country flag Vlad1980

Vlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Great match against Berdych, although to be fair, Tomas did give him a ton of cheap points, especially on crucial points. It looks like the ankle did play a part in their previous match, which i chose to disregard as Berdych looked very impressive and beat Richard there. Tonight, conditions were slower, heaver and Richard was able to start frustrating Berdych by mid first set and then Tomas' backhand completely fell apart. Two weeks ago, he was hitting return winners off of Richard's second serve, while tonight Richard was very dominant on serve. Of many things Richard did well, I really loved how he varied his return of 2nd serve. He more often than not, decided to slice it low and stay on baseline instead of going way back and hit topspin. I think this really paid off in the end and a lot of do know that he has to do it more often.

Great match overall. Allez
Vlad1980 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #53
country flag scmom

scmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond repute

what a great win over Berdych. clearly Richard's solid defense frustrated Berdych and he made a lot of errors, but in the beginning of the match , Berdych was hitting winners at will - Gasquet tightened up the defense - went for everything and his improvement in play brought about Berdych's decline. His serve was particularly effective - hope he can keep up this level of play against Andy . It will be a good match
I don't know if those of you who were watching in Europe got the espn feed or the atp masters feed - but the American announcers were totally impressed with the new , improved mentally tough Gasquet . They kept saying that this was the best they had ever seen him play on hard courts . I am happy to hear them say that , because the espn folks often disregard players other than the Big 4 and Serena / Maria , and tend to know little to nothing about them . So that they were aware enough to praise Richard for his improved fitness , fighting spirit and concentration is a giant leap in the right direction for them and for Richard .
During the earlier match between Murray / Cilic - one of the espn guys made some derogatory remarks about Richard's match against Berdych in IW . He dismissed Richard as saying he got " blown away " by Tomas . I felt the need to defend our guy - so I sent him a message via twitter that in that match Richard had an ankle injury and his movement was clearly compromised in that first set. That although Tomas was clearly the better player that day - it would be good to see how things went this week with a fully healthy , motivated Richard on the court. The announcer was totally stunned that i , an American , could read a french newspaper online , first off , and agreed to go back and review his comments and get all the facts before he made snide remarks on tv . in the broadcast of Richard's match , he was clearly open minded to Richard's improvement and was most effusive in his praise . Win one for me !
I saw the video Puschkin posted on the other thread. There was also a second interview that Richard did on court with Brad Gilbert following the match for the people in the stands . He spoke so fast , I am sure no one in the crowd understood a single word he said . Slow down , Richard ! It's your moment to shine on American tv - let them hear what you are saying
scmom is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:02 AM   #54
country flag scmom

scmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond repute

this is just painful to watch . Richard started out playing so magnificently . And now the foot is injured ( trainer out to work on what appears to be a horrible blister) and he can barely move
such a shame
but he is still out there trying
Old 03-30-2013, 02:52 AM   #55
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmom View Post
this is just painful to watch . Richard started out playing so magnificently . And now the foot is injured (trainer out to work on what appears to be a horrible blister)
I hope it is only a blister and not the ankle injury recurring. I think it was a good match for large parts from both, Murray could sustain a high level much longer, he is not number 2 for nothing. Richard needs to confront the top players more often to get used to this kind of matches, in order to finally prevail. Knowing that Miami never was his favourite tournament, he had a very good week there.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 03-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #56
country flag ImmzB

ImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond repute

Great tournament for Richard!! Hopefully it's only a blister instead of a ankle injury!! Now will he play Davis Cup?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

[M.Safin] [T.Henman] [G.Rusedski] [A.Roddick]

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
ImmzB is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #57
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

Great tournament for Richard. HE played 3 of the best sets of tennis (2 against Berdych and the 1st against Murray) I've seen him play in a very long time. The foot problem near the end of the first set seemed to get worse and he lost focus and "punch" which he couldn't afford to do for a minute against Murray who was just better and better able to sustain a high level longer than Richard. Murray is number 2 afterall...

IT was wonderful to see that Richard was still fighting despite the foot, Murray was just too good and seemed to feed off Richard's injury. It looked like a toe problem and not the ankle issue he had in IW so that's encouraging.

Hope Richard can continue to build on his impressive start to the season and no major injury PLEASE. Can't wait for clay!!!!

Last edited by Schu : 03-30-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Schu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #58
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmom View Post
There was also a second interview that Richard did on court with Brad Gilbert following the match for the people in the stands . He spoke so fast , I am sure no one in the crowd understood a single word he said . Slow down , Richard ! It's your moment to shine on American tv - let them hear what you are saying
Thanks for defending our man. And the on court interview with Gilbert after the Berdych match was really quite cute if you could understand him. He "joked" about learning a forehand from Grosgean and said he felt he played a "clever" game against Berdych. Clever was his word and that was a spot on description of his match against Berdych.

And yes when Brad Gilbert praises Richard's improved fitness and fight you know it is noticable.
Schu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #59
country flag afterglows

I fell asleep after Haas-Ferrer and totally missed the match

First I hope there is nothing serious with the ankle. The most important thing is to stay healthy.

I'm disappointed by the result of this match but this is still a very good tournement for Richard.

Hope no injury is gonna mess with the clay season.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #60
country flag scmom

Schu , did you notice how in the match against Murray - Fowler , Gilbert et al kept talking about Richard 's ankle injury in IW - like they knew about it all along ?
Jeez - Fowler - where's my journalistic credit ? Who do you think gave you that heads up ?
ha ha ha - ME !
Well, although I told them about it , it was my daughter who noticed Richard limping around the hotel breakfast area , who alerted us to the issue . I give her the credit for being a good investigative reporter .
Now let's hope this injury is not a recurrence of the ankle problem , but just blisters that will heal with proper treatment .
I used to dance ballet , believe me , depending on a foot with blisters is not a good feeling ! I can sympathize with his pain