Mens Tennis Forums banner

Tennis Tipping Rules & Questions

TT 
108K views 510 replies 122 participants last post by  Taz Warrior 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#36 ·
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

Try as I might, I don't think I understand the rule about doubles order when two teams have the same total ranking.

If I have one team who are

109+121 = 230

and another who are

117 + 113 = 230

which goes first in the entry list?

#40 ·

Another SE question, this one very hypothetical, I'm not even sure it makes sense, but SEs always leave me confused.

Say you have a tournament with only 31 players by the Friday deadline. One of these 31 is a low ranked player who would be SE eligible if the tournament were full, say an LE NR who made a final that week. The manager pushes back the deadline to Sunday to try and fill the draw, and two ranked players enter, leaving our LE NR as an alternate. Has the SE spot already cleared, or can the player apply for it?

I know that it wouldn't make sense to have the SE be given on Sunday, since it's supposed to be to avoid playing qualies and a final simultaneously, but it also seems somewhat unfair to the player in question. Plus, as I said, SE's confuse me :crazy:

I suspect that the SEs clear on Friday, so that anything that happens afterwards, they're gone, but I'm not sure. This probably will never come up, but it's bothering me anyways. There's probably a simple answer, I just have gotten myself so off on this tangent I can't escape :p

#41 ·

I think if you extend deadline, you can't accept more than 1 player in that situation
it would be quite unfair for the people who checked on Friday's evening they don't need to play qualies and are sure that tournament starts on Monday
but to be honest, this is only my idea, don't know how it works "officialy" :p

#42 ·

I think if you extend deadline, you can't accept more than 1 player in that situation
it would be quite unfair for the people who checked on Friday's evening they don't need to play qualies and are sure that tournament starts on Monday
but to be honest, this is only my idea, don't know how it works "officialy" :p
Haha, makes sense. Probably the simple answer I was not thinking of :eek::)

#43 ·

How can I join that great game?;D I'm new here and it looks really complicated, but I wanna try it;)

#44 ·

How can I join that great game?;D I'm new here and it looks really complicated, but I wanna try it;)
You need to commit for tournaments you want to play a week or two in advance. I think next week's tournaments are all full so you can start with the US Open qualifying. You need to go to the thread and commit, and also read the first post for all the rules and instructions. Ask in the thread if you have any questions. Qualifying starts next week Tuesday and if you miss the deadline then you're out so you better not miss it :)

After USO, you can play some Challengers because your ranking won't be high enough to enter ATP events. Good luck :yeah:

#48 ·

Let's assume the following situation. Challengers A and B are taking place on the same week. Challenger A is crowded, they have to start qualifying on Saturday while challenger B has few players and so the deadline for singles commitments is extended to Sunday. Let's say there's a player X who's in the qualifying list of challenger A. It's late Friday night, the qualifying draw for challenger A has been done, the OOP has been published... And player X suddenly decides he wants to play challenger B instead. Is he allowed to switch so late?

#49 ·

Let's assume the following situation. Challengers A and B are taking place on the same week. Challenger A is crowded, they have to start qualifying on Saturday while challenger B has few players and so the deadline for singles commitments is extended to Sunday. Let's say there's a player X who's in the qualifying list of challenger A. It's late Friday night, the qualifying draw for challenger A has been done, the OOP has been published... And player X suddenly decides he wants to play challenger B instead. Is he allowed to switch so late?
no, he can't change after the draw has been made

#56 ·

We finally updated the thread with 2010's rules! :D

I think we covered pretty much every question that you could think of, but let us know if you don't understand anything or if you have other questions/suggestions for the thread :worship:

Have fun! :p

#57 ·

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]2010 Updates[/FONT]

COMMITMENTS

Rule) Top 30 & challengers in Davis Cup & Grand Slam 2nd weeks and when there are no ATP tournaments played: Top 30 players (singles & doubles) are allowed to play these challengers as late entries (LE).
Rule) Doubles commitments: Players are allowed to commit to doubles in week #1.
Rule) Top 30 DOUBLES players & Challengers: Top 30 doubles players are not allowed to play challengers. The same rules apply to singles and doubles.
Rule) Players must withdraw from the tournament they've previously entered before being accepted in the entry list of another tournament (as a late entry).
Q&A) Deleting commitments.

ENTRY LIST

Rule) Protected ranking (PR): Players are allowed to ask for a PR after they're back from their absence.
Important: They must request a PR before they commit to any tournaments.
Q&A) GS week #2 help.
Q&A) GS LL spots x GS week #1 challengers.
Q&A) Friday's play & SEs.
Q&A) PR x current ranking & PR x seedings.
Q&A) SE spots x # players.
Q&A) SEs/LLs x seedings.

DRAW

Q&A) Changes x deadline.
Q&A) LL order.
Q&A) Alternate placement.
Q&A) MD withdrawals after the qualifying draw is made.

PICKS

Rule) Picks must be sent to the correct manager.

TB SYSTEM

Rule) SR shootout: Retirements count for the SR shootout (only correct winners, not the SR).
ex: Ljubo vs Blake SR1 -> result Ljubo def Blake 61 ret.
Match: Player A 12:12 Player B - SRs 5:5 (Player A picked Ljubo & Player B picked Blake)
Result: Player A wins on SR1 correct winner.
Rule) Number of SR matches: All matches as SRs.
Rule) Monday’s SRs for doubles (two-day round) – when the manager doesn’t say anything about them, they should go to the bottom of the SR order (for shootout purposes).
Q&A) SR winners rule change erased (not possible anymore).
Q&A) Examples updated.

RANDOM QUESTIONS

Rule) Changes - points breakdown:
- Masters (7 rounds) = 500, 350, 225, 125, 75, 40, 15, 0 (+20 for qualifier)
- 500 (6 rounds) = 300, 210, 135, 75, 40, 15, 0 (+15 for qualifier)
- 250 (6 rounds) = 200, 140, 90, 50, 25, 10, 0 (+10 for qualifier)
Rule) Challengers & the WTF race: Challengers count for the WTF race.
Rule) WTF points, WTC points updated.
Rule) Schedule: Tuesday start, Saturday final updated.
Q&A) Nationality changes, DC/WTC team captains.
Q&A) TT/ATP Rankings - How it works, tie breaker, byes & 2nd round points

OTHER EVENTS

Guide - Davis Cup
Guide - World Team Cup
Guide - World Tour Finals
Schedule - other events (GSs, WTC, WTF, Miami, IW, New Haven)

#59 ·

A few "newbie" questions, with apologies if they have been answered before somewhere. (I did try looking through the threads!)

1. The rules say "4 slams and 14 other tournaments to count for ranking". I have a low rank. If I don't enter a slam, or if I enter and lose in the QRs, do I count 0 points or can I count up to 18 other tournaments?

2. I have entered 4 tournaments this year but in both the singles and doubles ranking lists the second column shows as 2. Is this because I was only in 2 main draws, and losing in the qualifying rounds does not count as a tournament played?

3. If I get a bye or walkover in the first round and then lose in the second round, do I still get second round points, or do I have to win a match before I get anything?

#60 ·

A few "newbie" questions, with apologies if they have been answered before somewhere. (I did try looking through the threads!)

1. The rules say "4 slams and 14 other tournaments to count for ranking". I have a low rank. If I don't enter a slam, or if I enter and lose in the QRs, do I count 0 points or can I count up to 18 other tournaments?

2. I have entered 4 tournaments this year but in both the singles and doubles ranking lists the second column shows as 2. Is this because I was only in 2 main draws, and losing in the qualifying rounds does not count as a tournament played?

3. If I get a bye or walkover in the first round and then lose in the second round, do I still get second round points, or do I have to win a match before I get anything?
1. if your ranking is not enough to play GS directly, points from other tournament will be counted

2. yes, just main draw appearance is counted

3. you don't get points for defeating a "bye" :)

#62 ·

Why are players ranked in the top 100 allowed to play Challengers?

The Challenger next week should not have these people as they are guaranteed entry into tournaments main draws anytime they want whereas other people, ranked 120 or lower, aren't.

The Challenger next week should be specifically for people who don't get guaranteed entries into main draws. Just because there isn't a major tournament next week, shouldn't make these players play a challenger.

#63 ·

Can I play in Indian Wells Masters qualification and in Davis Cup next week?

#65 ·

Am I right in thinking that for the SR1 PTS match a score of 64 63 is the same as 63 64?
i.e. if the result is 64 75 for example it does not mean that the first player wins - they both have 1 correct set score?

#69 ·

There are spaces in the Main Draw at St. Remy and I have Alternates who committed after the second deadline.

Can I put them in the MD when it is made, or can they only replace players who do not send picks?

#70 ·

2 questions.

I have spaces in the draw at Alphen and no alternates so far - can I reopen entry until tomorrow to attempt to fill my draw or do I have to remain closed and go with what I have?

I am likely to be full in Genova in singles but spaces in doubles - can I close entry to singles but allow existing singles entrants longer to form teams and fill the doubles draw?