Mens Tennis Forums banner

Why do so many players have the match of their lives against Andy Roddick?

1K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  simy 
#1 ·
I find it curious the amount of players especially in the last 2 years that have used the springboard Roddick.
Having the best match of their lives or the match that turns things for them.

I thought it better to start this thread in Andyland as opposed to GM....
:armed:
I think it says something about Andy, these are usually close or high-high level tennis matches.
I'm just not sure if what it says about him is good...or bad?

#4 ·
Because they know he's a good player, so they come out with a lot of respect, knowing they have to play their best to beat him, so they have that tough mindset, and then when they come out and Andy gives them mid-court topspinny moonballs, they're already focused and knowing they have to play their best so they just bash them all away for winners.

#6 ·
because Andy 06 is not Andy 03
a) no intimidating aura
b) groundstroke game turned completely docile and allowed players to dictate, if they're on, they don't miss and look really good
c) Andy on some occasions, had a lead and didn't bury them... they fought back and got pumped up...
d) sheer, dumb, luck

#7 ·
FlashDeb said:
Because they know he's a good player, so they come out with a lot of respect, knowing they have to play their best to beat him, so they have that tough mindset, and then when they come out and Andy gives them mid-court topspinny moonballs, they're already focused and knowing they have to play their best so they just bash them all away for winners.
I think this pretty much nails it. Players have enough repect for Andy's game to know they've got to come out with their best in order to do well. I think that with lesser ranked players, Andy tends to get a bit cocky from time to time, viewing matches against players he thinks are lesser as obvious wins for him -- even practice matches in early rounds of some tournaments. By the time that Andy realizes that he's in trouble and needs to work harder, the oponent has already made a dent AND gained some confidence from his success. This leads to the match of your life coming against Roddick. Connors and John Roddick still have a bit of a challenge on their hands to build Andy's confidence at the same time they're instilling humility in him.

#9 ·
I found that this was the case with Agassi as well. I mean, have you ever seen Calleri play like he did when he beat Andre? :eek:

It may be that they come in with the expectation of having to perform above their usual level, and sometimes they pull it off! :lol:

#10 ·
MisterQ said:
I found that this was the case with Agassi as well. I mean, have you ever seen Calleri play like he did when he beat Andre? :eek:
omg, I remember that match in Miami:eek:

#12 ·
Because everyone wants a piece of Mu Shu Duck! :drool:

#13 ·
Andy will take me easily but he doesn't know about my awesomely wicked sliced topspin junky retrograde moonball of a forehand....so then I will even beat him. :rocker2:

#14 ·
tangerine_dream said:
It's funny how Andy's critics call him "cocky" yet I think sometimes he suffers from too much humbleness and not enough cockiness (on court, that is).
I'm not a critic of Andy's, but I do call him cocky. It's one of the reasons I adore him. More often than not, I think he uses that cockiness in a very good way - including gamesmanship to psych out oponents. Sometimes, as I touched on above, it becomes a detrement. But I hope he never loses the cockiness. If he did, he may turn into Agassi, and that'd be just blech!

#15 ·
BECAUSE THEY HATE US. :sobbing:

#17 ·
i dunno, now why couldn't players play the match of their lives against roger?

#18 ·
simpletennis said:
You know, sometimes they do, and it's still rarely enough to beat him. But you have your Gasquets and Berdychs and the like :)

#19 ·
FlashDeb said:
You know, sometimes they do, and it's still rarely enough to beat him. But you have your Gasquets and Berdychs and the like :)

true, but gasquet beat him that one time. it was such bad luck getting roger in the first rd. of wimbledon. and then there's that guy called NADAL who's beaten him so many times this year.

#20 ·
simpletennis said:
dunno :( :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.