Mens Tennis Forums banner

Defeating a left handed defensive player

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Super Djoker 
#1 ·
Yes...I have run into my own Nadal. I've been playing a lefty who has unlimited stamina, amazing defense, very quick, and hits high balls with heavy topspin.

I am right handed with a OHBH and I play pretty aggressive. I am struggling to beat him. When I can match him, eventually I get tired first. This guy is like a marathon runner.

But tactically, how do I approach this? My best shot is my inside-out FH, which is completely neutralized by him being a lefty. He is also solid at net, and quick enough to reach drop shots unless I can push him way out of position.

I get him on his heels and go to the net, but this guy lobs better than anyone I've ever played. He can lob accurately and deep from any position, backhand or forehand.

So I'm asking, what is the best tactical approach? Dial back the aggression and play with less pace and more variety?

#2 ·
I've never actually played a defensive lefty . I am a tactical lefty ( I do whatever I need to to win) hit flat , net charge or play as a human wall and hit the passing shot when my opponent comes in . I am usually very aggressive thought as that's how I like to play.

#3 ·
Bring them into the net or move in whenever possible (dictate the tempo ) I may sometimes struggle a bit against a defensive player in singles but I haven't dropped a set to one for about 5 or 6 months plus.

#4 ·
Just because his forehand is better doesn't mean you shouldn't target it. If your best shot is your inside-out forehand then you just have to keep beating on his forehand until you get that short ball where you can hit it to his backhand. Trying to hit a winner from a neutral ball to someone's weakness is one of the most common misconception, you have to try to make their weakest shot weaker by making them move furhter.

#7 ·
Oh I know, I pound his forehand all match. But it's very difficult to break him down on that wing. He gets consistent deep returns. I really need to stretch extreme angles to break him down. I need to work more on attacking his backhand and exploiting it.

#9 ·
BH slice DTL into the lefty (I imagine) 2 handed BH, will be tough for him to handle.

Also agree with the poster who said to stick to go strength to strength, forehand to forehand. Most players who beat Nadal do so by attacking his forehand, loopy, long swing, eventually the short ball and boom into the BH and close the net

Of course it is so easy on the computer, but tough to do in the match, trust me I know :p

#10 ·
New twist, right out of Nadal's playbook. He doesn't like to play at night and always suggests to play during the hottest part of the afternoon. Says he likes the extra heat to get a better workout.

Uncle Toni teaches well.

#11 ·
New twist, right out of Nadal's playbook. He doesn't like to play at night and always suggests to play during the hottest part of the afternoon. Says he likes the extra heat to get a better workout.

Uncle Toni teaches well.
Why would anyone like to play at night ? Floodlights or indoor lights make it harder to see the ball.

#13 ·
I used to be afraid of playing lefties back when my backhand was just a deep slice, I couldn't impose myself in anyway because even though my F/H was steady it soon became obvious that my B/H was a glaring liability both on my returns and from the back. Over the years my game improved, my fitness got better and I just hit hard and deep to their strengths, sooner or later the shot'll break down or you get a short ball. You can either try to go for the winner or slice short and bring them into the net, from that point you're the boss. One thing that I notice though is most lefties don't know how or aren't skilled enough to exploit being left handed and most of them find it hard to serve down the middle in the ad court or wide in the deuce court. Overall I treat all players the same now, I think court position on the return in vastly under rated and largely ignored, if you can get the lefty guessing, you're in good shape.

#14 ·
Cut off the lefty serve, and really try hitting behind this person. The "how to beat Nadal" sheet always pointed to hitting behind him just to open up more court and get them frozen into one court.

#16 ·
Why not just hit hard and deep then go to a dropshot ? If the dropshot is good enough it doesn't matter how good he is so long as you get him on the run a bit. And if he does reach it you could lob him or just pass him .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.