Mens Tennis Forums banner

Happy Hanukkah - Chag Chanukah Sameach! Dec 11 - 19

5K views 49 replies 9 participants last post by  prima donna 
#1 ·
#11 ·
Well............... depends :lol: We don't really eat any differently but if one goes to a party you would eat:

Potato pancakes-with sour cream or applesauce-Ashkenazic culture
Sufganiyot-jelly filled donuts-Ashkenazic
Bimuellos- donuts made from Matzah-Sepphardic culture

All fried, all heavy, all head straight to one's arteries.:lol:

#14 ·
^^ pretty much the same thing- different language :p

And no Mish- Now that my kids are big I don't go to parties for this holiday anymore. We will light the candles and most likely hubby will do potato pancakes one night. Hint: sweet potato pancakes are :drool:

#29 ·
Are the prayers specific or you pray however you feel you should?

Reactions: cobalt60
#21 ·
It is not a "big" holiday. PD quoted an article on the first page here. That will give you some answers :) I am not the best educator about this stuff;) My hubby is though- a reform Jewish educator by training.

#22 ·
The First Night of Hanukkah – The first night of Hanukkah is used as a time to reflect on the revolt of Judas Maccabeus. The Verse that is read is 2 Maccabees 8:1-11.

The Second Night of Hanukkah – On the second night, the Menorah is lit in honor of the preparation of the upcoming battle. Verse - 2 Maccabees 8:12-20.

The Third Night of Hanukkah – The third night is a celebration for the defeat of Nicanor. Verse - 2 Maccabees 8:21-29.

The Fourth Night of Hanukkah – The fourth night signifies Judah’s defeat of Timothy and Bacchides. Verse – 2 Maccabees 8: 30-36.

The Fifth Night of Hanukkah – Night number five celebrates the last campaign of Antiochus Epiphanes. Verse – 2 Maccabees 9: 1-12.

The Sixth Night of Hanukkah – The sixth night of Hanukkah celebrates the promise that Antiochus made to God. Verse – 2 Maccabees 9: 13-18.

The Seventh Night of Hanukkah – On the seventh night, the death and letters of Antiochus are signified. Verse – 2 Maccabees 9: 19-29.

The Eighth Night of Hanukkah – The final night of Hanukkah is a time to rejoice the Purification of the Temple. Verse – 2 Maccabees 10:

#24 · (Edited)
Such a lovely and memorable night, our first Hanukkah spent with our little angel -- my daughter.

We're in East Hampton, and we shall spend the next week or so in one another's company. I won't lament being surrounded by women -- mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and the Wife; after all, such a gathering is a true gift afforded to us by G-d.

#40 ·
Wishing all my Jewish friends here Happy Hanukah.

And for PD - because I only discovered this very recently - many congratulations on becoming a Father for the first time. I wish your daughter a happy and healthy life surrounded by love, today and always.

#49 ·
I will not post publicly pictures of my daughter, although if anyone (almost anyone) should care to contact me via private message, I will gladly send them.

Here is a photograph of the Wife only months after the pregnancy (other Mothers will appreciate the difficult task of shedding 25 pounds after having given birth):

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.