Mens Tennis Forums banner

It's nice to have you Carsten.

70K views 602 replies 53 participants last post by  Ritz 
G
#1 · (Edited)
Ball's in Fitzgerald's court

Leo Schlink - Herald Sun

07feb05

AUSTRALIAN Davis Cup captain John Fitzgerald's passion for the future of Australian tennis may have already paid dividends.

Fitzgerald is believed to have been urged by several administrators, players and coaches to apply for the new position of director of player development.
The role has been created in response to a dwindling talent pool, starkly evident by world No. 2 Lleyton Hewitt's lonely presence as the nation's only player inside the men's top 100.

But if TA's selection panel requires evidence of Fitzgerald's enthusiasm, it need only consider talented Carsten Ball's decision to compete as an Australian.

In what shapes as a huge windfall for Australia, left-handed Ball will contest the Uncle Tobys Challenger in Burnie from today under the Australian flag as a wildcard.

The holder of both an Australian and US passport, Ball is the son of former Australian Davis Cupper Syd Ball.

But unlike fellow Californian Taylor Dent, whose father Phil represented Australia, Ball junior has chosen to play for the green and gold instead of the US.

Ball stayed at Fitzgerald's coastal home while winning the International Tennis Federation Victorian junior championship in tough conditions over South Australian Todd Ley at Traralgon last month.

He then reached the quarter-finals of the Australian junior titles, falling in three sets to top seed and eventual finalist Sun-Yong Kim, of Korea.

Fitzgerald and Davis Cup coach Wally Masur have intensified efforts to lure top young athletes to tennis as Australia languishes in senior ranks, apart from Hewitt.

Ball, 17, could be invited to take part in Australia's first-round Davis Cup tie against Austria in Sydney next month as a hitting partner for Hewitt, Wayne Arthurs and Todd Woodbridge.

He will test his game this week against a batch of emerging local talent, including Todd Reid.

See less See more
#2 ·
Bump!

Can't believe NO ONE has posted in this thread for over two years :eek: :eek:

Carsten is making steady progress this year. He has won a futures tournament in the USA and featured consistently in the latter stages of these events. He has now (I think) got a place in the top 600 and will be looking to end the season with a bag. I reckon he could make top 450 by year's end

For those who haven't seen him play, he has a big serve, powerful forehand and consistent backhand. He is tall and needs to work on his movement and mental toughness

#5 · (Edited)
Carsten has had a fairly good season this year with a future final in Portugal and two semis in Great Britain, but its what he has done this week thats caught everyones attention.

He has made the final of a Challenger event in America and has beaten the likes of John Isner to get there. Also coming through qualifying makes his run even more impressive.

#9 ·
I wonder why he gets so little support! It is definitely worth noting that he came through qualifying and he has now reached the final and with a great chance of beating Miranda as well. He has had a great season and one we need to keep a close eye on! So happy with his results this week. Sid Ball was a very good and loyal and supportive Aussie. Nice that at least one of our older Aussies sons have decided to fly the flag for Australia!

#10 ·
Carsten is into the semi finals of the Yuba City challenger where he will play Sam Warburg for a spot in the final. This week he defeated Nicolas Monroe and Todd Paul in straight sets and also defeated Kevin Kim once again.

His ranking should get a boost with him having no points to defend this week. Unfortunately though he isn't going to play in the grasscourt season and instead is entered in a US Futures tournament next week where he will be number 1 seed if he goes.

#11 ·
Nice result. Hope Carsten makes my top 10 list soon. Keep it up Carsten in the
US Challengers.

#14 ·
Yeah you really hope so considering hes still young. The guy has got to be one of the best doubles players out there, I hope he continues to do well and by the year end hes ranked high enough to be playing ATP qualies and a mainstay on the challenger cicuit.

I can see this guy being in top 100 in the not too distant future. lol hes almost as inconsistant as the Gooch.

#19 ·
Well with him getting to the final his current ranking of 232 is safe until early August and between now and then he is playing 7 consecutive Challenger tournaments in North America. So he will almost certainly play US Open Qualies and has a real chance at gaining lots of points over the next 2 months.

G
#25 ·
I really hate playoffs, you give it to Sirriani all you'r doing is helping him fund his next career as a brick layer.

Fairness shouldn't come into the equation for wildcard selection, just give it to the young guy showing the most promise.

#26 ·
I just checked the latest ATP Rankings and afetr reaching the semi finals of the 75K tournament in Aptos Carsten has cracked the top 200 in the world. He is currently sitting at 199 and this makes him the 7th highest Australian man. Great work and a fantastic year! Be great if he could reach the Top 150 by years end. I reckon is scheduling is also very sensible.

G
#31 ·
[quote="tcordier]Carsten tore stuff up at the high school next to mine in Newport, CA.[/quote]

For a minute there I thought you meant they were actually tearing things, like as in the felt off the chairs in the classrooms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.