Mens Tennis Forums banner

Murray withdraws from Toronto.

8K views 89 replies 61 participants last post by  decrepitude 
#1 ·
Murray has withdrawn from Toronto due to a knee injury.

Raonic into the QF.

#86 ·
For anybody not clear on this, and there are a few of you, if you qualify for (by ranking or WC) and then don't play a masters 1000 or grand slam you get a 0-pointer and it sits on your ranking list for a year.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Roger-Federer.aspx?t=rb

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Novak-Djokovic.aspx?t=rb

Check the links above and look at their Shanghai points. It doesn't matter if you're injured, not injured or you just experienced personal tragedy, the ATP want it to work like Forumla 1, they even cite Formula 1 in their rulebook.

An example of a player really suffering from these penalities and one who will continue to suffer is Monfils.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Gael-Monfils.aspx?t=rb

If you looked at Del Potro's ranking in December 2010 he had 11 0-point penalties.

So just because a player has an excuse all they are avoiding is the financial penalty and they keep themselves in good standing with the tournament. The 0-pointer counts regardless.

As for Murray "getting some points this week" I'd say that's irrelevant. Ninety points is unliekly to make any difference at any point, although I am aware if Federer had 90 less points he wouldn't have been no 1 post Wimbledon. But that's the exception, not the rule.

On a side note I have Raonic to win Toronto on the ATP pics so I'm loving how this is unfolding.

#87 ·
So just because a player has an excuse all they are avoiding is the financial penalty and they keep themselves in good standing with the tournament. The 0-pointer counts regardless.
As for Murray "getting some points this week" I'd say that's irrelevant. Ninety points is unliekly to make any difference at any point, although I am aware if Federer had 90 less points he wouldn't have been no 1 post Wimbledon. But that's the exception, not the rule.
This. All that talk of murray playing to avoid the point penalty just doesn't make sense.

If he had saved himself the trouble of going to toronto and taken a rest he would only have the finantial penalty and would earn 0 points instead of 90, as he won only 1 match.

I've read somewhere in MTF that he went to the tournament to avoid the 10.000 dollars penalty which I find strange because this is peanuts we're talking about for a guy that has made over 20 million in prizemoney only.

#89 ·
I don't. But then what valid reason would murray have to play toronto?
Is he that stupid?! He's been around for some time now, he knows that he was tired, jet lag, surface transition, ....

What he has gained from his participation was 3rd round prize money + avoided 10.000 dollars penalty and 90 points.
Does this compensate for a possible week of rest and preparation for cincinnati like Roger did?

#90 ·
He went there because a) it is mandatory (unlike Roger he is not permitted to skip), b)he likes the conditions and c) he was meeting up with Lendl there. Lendl won't be with him in Cinci. Although I put it 3rd actually I think this was possibly the most important to him. Also, although I thought this knee injury was his usual one of the congenital knee problem, it isn't - it's the other knee, a new symptom, and didn't happen until during the first match. Maybe he intended to play his way into the tournament gently to get over the surface change but it didn't happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.