Mens Tennis Forums banner

Davis Cup

110K views 2K replies 74 participants last post by  Brad1973 
#1 ·
I thought it might be useful to start a thread for Davis Cup discussions.

Next up is Ecuador, July 8-10.

So who do we send? (I am asking who we would send, not who Laurendeau will pick since many of his recent choices have been inscrutable, to put it politely).

Ecuador of course has long been looking forward to el bombardero: see http://www.diario-expreso.com/ediciones/2011/03/29/deportes/mas-deportes/el-bombardero-raonic/ (I like the fact that this piece suggests Raonic is the main reason for choosing clay – as if a Latin American country ever picked anything but clay against our guys!)

Apart from Raonic, Nestor is there of course, unless he is not available.

I don’t see any signs of players getting themselves ready for the clay (Pospisil, Polansky and Bester are all signed up for hard court challengers in the weeks of Wimbledon). And for the week of DC, Dancevic is signed up for Newport, where he has a QF to defend.

But really when you look at the players Ecuador has to choose from, you can understand that we wouldn’t be taking extreme measures to get ready: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx?d=06.06.2011&c=ECU&r=0#. The remaining Lapentti is the only guy they have in the top 350, and he seems to be having problems – recently he’s been retiring from a match almost as often as he completes one.

I would encourage Dancevic to play Newport, and go with Nestor and Pospisil in doubles and bring along Polansky, with a view to playing either Peter or Vasek in the singles.

See less See more
#1,087 · (Edited)
Canada will play Japan, Kazakstan, Switzerland, Poland, Germany, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, India, Uzbekistan, Spain, Ukraine, Russia or Slovakia to stay in the World Group. It would be away against Japan or Spain, but I'm guessing Canada and those two teams would be seeded so therefore wouldn't play each other. Canada would play at home against either Brazil or Chile, away against Slovakia.

Milos, please play! He dubiously bailed out of the first round and the Olympic games so far this year. Third chance to represent his country.

Update: Seeds have been announced. Canada will play against Brazil, Chile, India, Poland, Russia, Slovakia, Ukraine or Uzbekistan

#1,088 ·
Canada will play Chile in Canada in September. Chile's best players are Gonzalo Lama (161), Christian Garin (251) and Hans Podlipnik-Castillo (278). They have some solid doubles credentials, with Castillo ranked 63 and Julio Peralta ranked 65.

Canada should win if Raonic plays. If he doesn't, it a toss up.

#1,089 ·
Well, we couldn't have got a much better draw than that (particularly that we were assured a home tie with Chile eg. Think if we got Uzbekistan away on clay right after USO?).

Odds of Raonic playing have gone up, but still think there is a risk he doesn't play. He is gearing up to put all his energy towards a deep run at USO, and if he is successful, he may have not much left in the tank for 2 more bo5 starting 4 days later.

Normally we'd still be favoured even without Milos, but Vasek is having a terrible year.

#1,091 · (Edited)
What a great draw, Canada has it in the bag, even if Milos does not play, Chile's players can't compete on a HC.

#1,092 ·
#1,094 · (Edited)
I'll be there, but I doubt Raonic will be. Pospisil has gathered himself a little in singles. Diez, Dancevic and Polansky played qualifying at the US Open, with varying degrees of success. Hopefully someone can get fired up for the tie, as it presents a golden opportunity to stay in the World Group. It's a good draw.

The top Chilean lost badly in the first round of US Open qualifying to a wild card. I thought maybe Chile's two doubles players would play together at the US Open. They played, but not together. They both lost in the first round, both to teams containing a New Zealander (interesting tidbit).

#1,096 · (Edited)
Yeah, Canada's winning this tie 3-0, Milos or no Milos, he might play if by some miracle it goes into Sunday I suspect, I don't see it happening, I'd be a little surprised to see him on Friday.

#1,095 ·
The speculation for Milos is over, he will be there, just said so in his USO presser.

#1,100 · (Edited)
Chile have put forth their team: http://www.daviscup.com/en/draws-results/tie.aspx?id=M-DC-2016-WG-PO-CAN-CHI-01

It's clay courter, poor on hard and never played a match indoors, does not play doubles Lama, Garin is the same as Lama, except he played 1 indoor match and lost easily, Podlipnik-Castillo is almost the same, except he is a top 100 doubles player and Jarry who is their best indoors player, he even played Dancevic this year in Drummondville, lost in 2 with a TB, he's also alright at doubles, not top 100 though, Peralta is their highest ranked doubles player, but he's not been named, not too big of a deal I suppose since Podlipnik-Castillo is only slightly lower ranked.

The bad news is Pospisil-Nestor just retired after 4 games in their USO match today, I wonder what the problem is.

#1,101 ·
#1,103 ·
Maybe the worst part is Nestor played even though he knew he could reinjure it.

Who knows exactly what they will do if it comes to that, but the timeline on Nestor's injury is positive, chances are he will be able to make it I think.

#1,104 ·
...and Raonic is out:

Raonic to skip Davis Cup tie vs. Chile - Article - TSN

Team is Pospisil, Dancevic, Shapovalov and Nestor.

Even with out Raonic it should be a fairly easy win for the Canucks.

I just wish Raonic was a bit more honest when people ask about him playing Davis Cup, he did this last year too after Wimbledon saying he wa going to play, but then had to pull out.

We all now he always WANTS to play DC for Canada, but an answer of "I woul dlike to play but need to further evaluate my condition" is ok to give.

That said it sounds like the cramping may have potentially done some damage. Or at least his team is concerned that it has.

#1,107 · (Edited)
Strange why Milos changed his mind, at the USO he said he would play DC, I guess it's because of his breakdown he needs some time off which is best for everyone, plus Chile are a weak team anyway.

Great that Shapovalov is on the team, he might play if they are not so comfortable with Dancevic.

Tie should still be 3-0 with no Milos, Nestor needs to be healthy though.

#1,115 · (Edited)
TC may be leaning to Dancevic to play the 2nd singles match on Friday.

Doubles team looks to be Pospisil-Shamasdin.

It looks like Jarry will play singles and doubles with Podlipnik-Castillo for Chile.

#1,117 ·
Yeah, they went with Dancy, but if he loses Shapovalov may get a crack.

#1,120 ·
I didn't see any either. Was following the score on until I had to leave work, Dancevic was up a break in the 2nd and serving it out when he was broken, broke back, then broken again when serving for the second set again. Then was up 5-1 in the breaker only to lose 7-5. After that though he seemed to wake up as he took the 3rd set 6-1 and finished the 4th set 6-4.

Have no idea how Vasek's match went other than it was also 4 sets.

#1,121 ·
3-0, tie over, well done, yet expected, now it's time to get a good WG draw so they don't have to play this again next year.