Mens Tennis Forums banner

"Happy" Valley... Update: Paterno statue taken down

13K views 120 replies 28 participants last post by  buddyholly 
#1 · (Edited)
The sports world has been rocked the last few days by the reports of Coaching legend Joe Paterno, who has been in charge of Penn State football for 40 plus years is caught in the middle of a horrific child sexual abuse scandal involving former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, who was a legend before his 1999 retirement for the stout Penn State defenses over the years.

There are calls for Joe Paterno to step down immediately for turning a blind eye as a 10-year old boy was ***** in the Penn State locker room showers by former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky in 2002. Paterno is claiming that he was unaware of the situation and that eye-witness and current assistant Mike McQueary did not make clear what Sandusky was doing. The question is why didn't McQueary do anything to stop Sandusky if he witnessed the ****. All he did was contact Joepa who in turned contacted the AD and then nothing happened. Sandusky had access to the teams locker rooms as recently as last week according to some. How can McQueary have witnessed this and then be ok with Sandusky still being around the program for years(he was, reports are that Sandusky continued to bring kids to practice after the 2002 incident). There are now 8 other victomes who are coming out and alledging that Sandusky abused them. Awful situation and as ESPN put it "Joepa's run at Happy Valley always had a magical air to it, until now".

former player under Sandusky Matt Millen shares his thoughts This was heartbreaking to watch because I have never been a Millen fan but to see him break down on national TV was tough. He was cruched because he had trusted Sandusky.

Jerry Sandusky

Mike McQueary

Joe Paterno

what are your thoughts? Should Joe Paterno be forced out? Does this take away from his former lilly white and legendary legacy?

See less See more
1 3
#80 ·
Re: "Happy" Valley... Update: Paterno OUT after 46 years

Mae is right.

There are a lot of valid subjects for jokes on late night TV, but the sexual abuse of children is not one of them. I don't imagine that most people are in the mood to laugh at Jerry Sandusky (at least not yet).

#82 ·

Pedophilia and humor is nothing new. Hell one of Family Guy's most popular characters is a pedophile. They will probably makes jokes about it as time passes.

#86 ·

I watched a Leno episode from last thursday. He made one quick Paterno reference about finding work, but nothing else. But there was something that I found incredible. There was this comedy piece where Jay and another comedian did a Q&A kind of thing and audience members asked questions. One woman who asked a question came from Pennsylvania and her last name was Sandusky. I just couldn't believe my ears. Jay didn't say anything about the name, they just continued with the bit, but that's just unbelievable. I don't think the name Sandusky is that common.

#96 ·

I saw an interview with a Baltimore sportscaster called Gerry Sandusky. I believe he covers the Baltimore Ravens in the NFL. Well, he just said that these two weeks haven't been easy for him either and he's been doing a lot of explaining. No doubt with a name like Gerry Sandusky. That's just bad luck. They aren't related or anything, the name is just funny.

I watched the Bob Costas interview once again and I found Bob Costas slightly amusing. Yes, he did a great job and asked all the right questions, but his facial expressions were quite funny. There wasn't really any pictures to insert and they pretty much just had to show Bob's face and reaction when Sandusky was giving his stupid answers. Although it seems that Costas has only one expression he still manages to look surprised, stunned, curios, very concerned etc. etc. with the one expression.

#100 ·

Is Sandusky's 15 minutes already up?
Nope!

A new alleged victim of the Penn State child sex abuse scandal claimed in court papers Wednesday that former university football coach Jerry Sandusky "sexually abused" him more than 100 times during a four-year period and threatened to harm his family if he spoke out.

The accuser, now 30 years old, claims in the first lawsuit prompted by the abuse inquiry that his "unwanted" contact with Sandusky — charged last month with 40 criminal counts involving eight alleged victims — began when he was 10 years old and taking part in The Second Mile, a charity for at-risk children founded by Sandusky. He said the alleged misconduct occurred at multiple locations, including a university locker room, Sandusky's home and at the site of a Penn State football bowl game.

"I'm … taking this action because I don't want other kids to be hurt and abused by Jerry Sandusky or anybody," the unidentified accuser said in a statement released by his lawyers. "I never told anybody what he did to me over 100 times at all kinds of places until the newspapers reported that he had abused other kids and the people at Penn State and The Second Mile didn't do the things they should have to protect me and the other kids."

The alleged victim said he had been "hurting for a long time because of what happened" and now feels "even more tormented that I have learned of so many other kids were abused after me. "
The lawsuit, which names Sandusky, Penn State University and The Second Mile as defendants in a 27-page claim, seeks at least $400,000 in damages. It also alleges negligence and that the three defendants conspired to "endanger children."

Sandusky's attorney, Joseph Amendola, did not respond to a request for comment.

#99 ·

Bernie Fine is the new pedophile of the month. Sandusky is still on the radar, but most never really gave a damn about the **** situation, just the football. Now that Paterno has been gone a while, a lot of people have forgotten about it because it's not a fresh story.

#101 ·

I've been busy with you know, living through this whole disaster, as well as being a college student. Just thought I'd respond to the general vibe of the whole thread.

Those who are saying "why does anyone just care about the school and not about the kids" which I've seen a few times, you clearly are selectively paying attention. We've raised nearly 500,000 dollars for the victims of these crimes. The athletic department has pledged another 1.5 million dollars.

To the person from Ohio State, I understand, and you're probably right for most of it, until you said the word "crimes" and then I realized you probably think Joe Paterno is a criminal and then your opinion lost all weight. Not a knock on you since the media did a great job of making this the "Joe Paterno Scandal" instead of the "Jerry Sandusk Scandal", but still.

Life's back to normal here, but I'm never going to forget the Nebraska football game. When the players from both teams prayed together pre-game, the entire stadium went silent. I don't know how many of you have been in a singular place as 110,000 people are silent, but that moment will be ingrained in my mind for quite a while.

#102 ·

The New York Times did also a interview with Sandusky. And on camera. I find it actually quite surprising how much he is giving interviews. But every time they ask some tough questions he is squirming.

I wonder if he gets to coach the prison team?

#104 ·

Sandusky's lawyer has actually been quite amusing. His tactics and comments make you wonder if he even has a law degree. Sandusky is in deep shit and that serves him right.

Really, what the hell is going on? First Sandusky, then this Bernie Fine and now a respected sports columnist Bill Conlin is apparently the latest asshole.

#105 ·

As far as I am concerned, Joe Paterno has gotten a bum rap in all of this. He reported what he was told to higher authorities in Penn State. It turns out that the witness did NOT tell Joe exactly what he saw in the locker room in order to not embarrass Joe. He did tell the higher authorities, the graphic details, that he did not tell Paterno. In any case, it was those above Joe and the witness who should have gone to the police. Joe Paterno has been a great coach, advisor and friend to hundreds of Penn State players and others on campus. He has turned down many millions when offered a Pro contract and has donated millions to Penn State in various ways. The stinking media loves to tear down good people in order to make an evil story more sensational. Joe Paterno, like all of us is not perfect, but he is much better than most pompous, self rightous sports media jerks.

#106 ·

As far as I am concerned, Joe Paterno has gotten a bum rap in all of this. He reported what he was told to higher authorities in Penn State. It turns out that the witness did NOT tell Joe exactly what he saw in the locker room in order to not embarrass Joe. He did tell the higher authorities, the graphic details, that he did not tell Paterno. In any case, it was those above Joe and the witness who should have gone to the police. Joe Paterno has been a great coach, advisor and friend to hundreds of Penn State players and others on campus. He has turned down many millions when offered a Pro contract and has donated millions to Penn State in various ways. The stinking media loves to tear down good people in order to make an evil story more sensational. Joe Paterno, like all of us is not perfect, but he is much better than most pompous, self rightous sports media jerks.
You are confused. It wasn't the media that fired him! It was the university.

#109 ·

It's crazy the complete shift in tone this death has than it would have had just a year ago.

#110 ·
Re: "Happy" Valley... Update: Joe Paterno passes away at age 85

Well, Sandusky is convicted and waits for his sentence. There is talk about 440 years. I really feel 250 years might be enough.

Now there's a report about an old email where the Penn State officials are talking about covering up Sandusky's crimes. It seems Paterno was right there with them and very aware what was going on and trying to cover up for Sandusky.

I read somewhere that there is a mural near the Penn State campus and Sandusky's image has been replaced. Apparently some Penn State legends have been painted on it. It's kind of disgusting that there is a halo over Paterno's head in the same painting. They should probably erase him too.

#112 ·
Re: "Happy" Valley... Update: Sandusky convicted on 45 of 48 counts

What's the deal? Are the students still rallying behind JoePa and protesting? The Freeh Report is pretty dark. Paterno no longer gets the benefit of the doubt. Time for everyone to open their eyes down there. Didn't we even have some Paterno fan here defending him?

#118 ·
I think it's utterly ridiculous to strip a team of wins because of criminal misconduct by a member of the coaching staff that has absolutely nothing to do with the games. It's just so ridiculous. Where does this end? It sets a truly terrible precedent.

A team should not lose wins, unless there is cheating involved. Punishing past and future players for the conduct of one man and a small group that may have helped over up his actions for whatever reasons is bs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.