Mens Tennis Forums banner

Best 5 Set Records Active Players Only. Chardy leads

94K views 720 replies 191 participants last post by  cinnabar 
#1 · (Edited)
This might be useless to some people, but I have decided to post some of the best current 5 set records.

The criteria that I have used is that they have played a minimum of 10 5 setters and they have a 60 per cent or better winning percentage.

Code:
[B]Rank:		Win	Loss	Percentage[/B]

Robredo     	13	4	76.47
Nadal		16	5	76.19
Muller		9	3	75.00
Djokovic	18	7	72.00
Kohlschreiber 	14	6	70.00
Murray		14	6	70.00
Dolgopolov	7	3	70.00
Cilic 		16	7	69.57
Tipsarevic	18	8	69.23
F.Lopez		17	8	68.00
Ferrer		18	9	66.67
Berdych		16	8	66.67
Baghdatis	12	6	66.67
Istomin		8	4	66.67
Nieminen	17	9	65.38
Monfils		11	6	64.71
Tsonga		9	5	64.29
Simon		12	7	63.16
Hewitt		31	19	62.00
Tursunov	11	7	61.11
Youzhny		18	12	60.00
Stakhovsky	6	4	60.00

If there are any other current players that I have missed out, post away but they must have played at least 10 5 setters and have 60 % or better winning ratio.

See less See more
Reactions: Lee and LoveFifteen
#3 ·
Re: Best 5 Set Records

Yes, it's an outstanding record but he has retired and this was done for players currently.

On that record he would be equal with Lapentti and El Ayanoui, but because he won more matches he would have been placed first of that group.

#5 ·

Thanks for that Azza, I knew there would be a few that I would forget.

I have made the adjustment and he moves the great Koubek down to number three.

#7 ·

The Poo has actually won 10 out of 11 of his last 5 set matches, that is very impressive.

#9 ·

Very true Wyver.

Happy 2004 to you anyway, the fun has just begun.

#11 · (Edited)

Well like any competitors in any event they need warm up and this will be no different. The points scale is fair, and I will have to check again the countback rules, but I think we agreed on these.

Speaking of past players I don't think anyone will beat this great 5 set record. The underrated Bjorn Borg 23-4 and with a winning percentage of 85.18, that is magnificent.

#407 ·

Well like any competitors in any event they need warm up and this will be no different. The points scale is fair, and I will have to check again the countback rules, but I think we agreed on these.

Speaking of past players I don't think anyone will beat this great 5 set record. The underrated Bjorn Borg 23-4 and with a winning percentage of 85.18, that is magnificent.

Borg is the best in this department. no question.

#12 ·
Re: Re: Best 5 Set Records

GeorgeWHitler said:
Speaking of past players I don't think anyone will beat this great 5 set record.

Bjorn Borg 23-4 and with a winning percentage of 85.18, that is very impressive.
Yes Borg was amazing, I wish he did not retire so early, if he had played for another 5-6 years I don't think there would be any debates about the "best player of all time".

#13 ·

It was sad that he retired so early, but if his heart wasn't in it, then that was the best for him. If he played for another 3 years, then he might have won a US Open, I think he definitely could have won 2 more FOs.

He is truly respected and revered in Sweden and especially by Guga ( the bowing at the FO ceremony) and Roger worships him as well.

I mean if it wasn't him the world wouldn't have seen Edberg, Wilander or the other Swedish players. Tennis used to be a snobby, yuppie sport in Sweden until he came along, the success and the federation built excellent tennis centres throughout the country to inspire the next generation.

#439 ·

It was sad that he retired so early, but if his heart wasn't in it, then that was the best for him. If he played for another 3 years, then he might have won a US Open, I think he definitely could have won 2 more FOs.

He is truly respected and revered in Sweden and especially by Guga ( the bowing at the FO ceremony) and Roger worships him as well.

I mean if it wasn't him the world wouldn't have seen Edberg, Wilander or the other Swedish players. Tennis used to be a snobby, yuppie sport in Sweden until he came along, the success and the federation built excellent tennis centres throughout the country to inspire the next generation.

affirmative. in many ways, borg also revolutionized the game. his 5 set match record is incredible. his fitness, his topspin, and his famous resolve came into play.

#14 ·

GeorgeWHitler said:
The amazing thing is that Borg started playing tennis almost by accident

#15 ·

Yes, that is how some of the best stories happen. I wonder if he ever beat the wall that he used to hit up against?

#17 ·
Originally posted by WyverN
The wall is very good but surely it would make a unforced error before borg
That is the best comment of 2004, luckily I wouldn't have to put my house on this one. I think the match might go even longer than the 6hrs 20 min McEnroe vs Wilander DC match.

In summing up I think the wall might be a very slight favourite, it could go either way.

#18 ·

Back onto the topic, as much as I am laughing at the wall comment.

As you said earlier it's interesting that the Poo and Safin who aren't widely known for their mental toughness, yet they are both in the top 10 of this list. Any other surprises on that list?

#19 · (Edited)

rios, goran have a habit of collapsing but have very good 5 set records.
Koubek is a surprise as he does not have many major weapons.

Kafelnikov between 1998 and 2002 had a amazing 17-2 record.

He was a very good 5 set player and his overall record is a bit misleading as he went 0-3 in 2003.

#21 ·

Thanks for the evaluations, they were very interesting and yes Mr Arthurs deserves an honourable mention.

Koubek is actually quite a fit guy, and he can play fairly well when he could be bothered. Unfortunately he is a poorer version of Muster, and he doesn't have any great strengths, though he pulled off one of the best comebacks I have seen down 1-6, 0-6 1-4, 15-40 on serve and won the match.

#22 ·

The Kafelnikov one is interesting, well his 03 record pretty much shows how far he has declined, he isn't even the mix to win the Slams these days, whereas even up to a few years ago he was always a chance except at Wimbledon.

Then again Rios and Goran despite at times being on different planet had those weapons with Rios the angles and creativity and Goran the huge serve which helped in some tight moments in the last sets.

Keep them coming, if anyone finds any more.

#23 ·

GeorgeWHitler said:
Thanks for the evaluations, they were very interesting and yes Mr Arthurs deserves an honourable mention.

Koubek is actually quite a fit guy, and he can play fairly well when he could be bothered. Unfortunately he is a poorer version of Muster, and he doesn't have any great strengths, though he pulled off one of the best comebacks I have seen down 1-6, 0-6 1-4, 15-40 on serve and won the match.
who was that against?

#24 · (Edited)

My mistake about the 1st set score I got the other way around.

The "great" Cyril Saulnier at the Australian Open in 2002. The result was 0-6 1-6 7-6(6) 6-4 8-6 and Saulnier had match points in the 3rd and 5th sets.

He also ran down Blake from 2 sets down as well in that tournament.

Actually I am enjoying this conversation, but for different reasons than usual.

#26 ·

One last thing about the wall vs Borg. If you think Borg would have won, would it have been in 5 sets?

I just found out two other outstanding 5 set records from the past. Wyver these belong to two of your favourites.

Krickstein 28-9 at 75.67%
Muster 18-7 at 72%

Krickstein's included the feat of winning 8 times from 2 sets down, that rates his record very highly indeed.

What do you think of Nalbandian's chances of having an outstanding 5 set record that would compare with the best percentages from that list. He is 6-2 at the moment, I think he will do very well in this category.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.