Mens Tennis Forums banner

The Mardy Fish Appreciation Thread!!!

14K views 397 replies 21 participants last post by  surfpinky 
#1 · (Edited)
After viewing the Roger/Mardy match from last night, I have to vent a bit here. I know Mardy has his own thread but no one ever visits it and besides, if we can have a "Robby Ginepri" thread in the AR forum, then we can have a "Mardy Fish" thread, too. ;)

So.....who else was disgusted by Mardy's playing last night? :(

I can't believe what Fish in his press conference said after being run over by Roger:

From the BBC: A bemused Fish said: "He's definitely the best player in the world and is obviously showing it. I'm ranked 19 and I didn't play that badly and he beat me four and one."

Pfft. Keep playing like that Mardy, and you'll always be ranked 19 and never make it into the Top Ten. :(

Here's my stupid-reporter question for Mardy: "So how does it feel to be on the losing end all the time? You obviously enjoy your No. 19 ranking...." :rolleyes:

His sloppy overheads annoy me the most. And he also nets too many volleys when he's a foot away from the net. Grrrr. :eek:

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Mardy Fish

OMG I KNOW!!!!!!

It sounds like he didnt' even really know what happened out there. Maybe he'll watch the tape back and realize what he did.

but I think it's just all between the ears with him. I'm 100% sure he has the tennis ability to beat Roger or Andy or anyone else!

#4 ·
Comments from Roger:

"I think he's got an unbelievable serve, especially his first serve," said Federer of Fish, lavishing praise on the developing American. "It's very tough to read. He hits a lot of aces. He's got great speed on that, too. I think he's got a very all-around game, all-surface game, as well. You know, I just think he needs a little bit more time."

Mardy is how old now? 22? He can't waste much more time "developing his game." He needs to find it already. :smash:

I get frustrated with Mardy because he has so much potential and he still hasn't hit his stride. He's like the kid who's always a step behind everybody else; held back a grade while his peers move on and up.... :retard:

#5 ·

Yea Mardy is 22. But remember, he was originally going to play golf, I don't think he's actually been playing tennis all THAT long. Some people develop later and that's ok. Look at people like Henman and ElAynaoui who are approaching or over 30 and playing their best. If Mardy takes til he's 23 or 24 to hit a peak, I don't think that's a problem particularly.

But like I said, he gave that press conference just minutes after he lost. didn't even probably have time to talk to Kelly (his coach) about the whole thing. I bet if he talked about it right now - he'd say something different lol

#6 ·

I agree with Deb.

#7 ·

Serve-Volleyers take an incredibly long time to develop.........Rafter didn't start fulfilling on his potential until his 25.
While Fish may improve to top 10 status eventually I can't see him winning a slam.
With his type of game you have to be extremely atheltic and a good mover around the court and as Federer pointed out, that is his weakness.

#9 ·

If serve-volleying doesn't come naturally, it CAN take a long time to develop, especially since Mardy's so 'old' now. If he'd got with it sooner, it'd come much easier to him. However, I just think Mardy isn't suited to tennis - he's not built for the sport. He should be a basketball player or a football player. Not tennis.

#10 ·

tangerine_dream said:
After viewing the Roger/Mardy match from last night, I have to vent a bit here. I know Mardy has his own thread but no one ever visits it and besides, if we can have a "Robby Ginepri" thread in the AR forum, then we can have a "Mardy Fish" thread, too. ;)

So.....who else was disgusted by Mardy's playing last night? :(

I can't believe what Fish in his press conference said after being run over by Roger:

From the BBC: A bemused Fish said: "He's definitely the best player in the world and is obviously showing it. I'm ranked 19 and I didn't play that badly and he beat me four and one."

Pfft. Keep playing like that Mardy, and you'll always be ranked 19 and never make it into the Top Ten. :(

Here's my stupid-reporter question for Mardy: "So how does it feel to be on the losing end all the time? You obviously enjoy your No. 19 ranking...." :rolleyes:

His sloppy overheads annoy me the most. And he also nets too many volleys when he's a foot away from the net. Grrrr. :eek:
Ditto. :)

And let's not forget the emotional funk after losing the first set.

And... you know, we always notice who signs autographs on their way out and who doesn't and Mardy didn't. :(

Dominik did. :)

#11 ·

I thought losers of matches generally did not stop to sign autographs? :scratch:

But I agree with what most are saying here: I just cannot fathom Mardy winning a slam playing like he does now (decent players though they bloomed late, neither Henman or Younes have a slam :tape: ). I would really like to see him win one. Just one. AT LEAST one. :lol: He completely melted in that second set against Roger. That's all mental. Mardy always comes out strong in the first set but then when he loses the first set...game over. Slam champions can't afford that kind of mental lapse.

#14 ·

I totally agree about classy losers signing. After his Scottsdale QF, James signed for every single kid asking, probably about 20 people! I was very impressed b/c that was a really tough close loss too.

#16 ·

oh man..... I don't know!

#18 ·

We should! How do we go about that, do you know?

#22 ·

Mardy can have a forum when he wins a slam or breaks in the top ten or beats Roddick or Federer or Safin or Juan Carlos Ferrero or even Joachim Johannson...

I like Mardy I do, it's just, he will always be a man on the side it seems...

#23 ·
Re: Re: Mardy Fish

Fumus said:
Mardy can have a forum when he wins a slam or breaks in the top ten or beats Roddick or Federer or Safin or Juan Carlos Ferrero or even Joachim Johannson...

I like Mardy I do, it's just, he will always be a man on the side it seems...
maybe he's just a late bloomer ;)

But I agree he needs to get over his slam hump, he needs to at least get past the thrid round if he's to be a top 10 player.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.