Mens Tennis Forums banner

Commentary at its finest

405K views 3K replies 697 participants last post by  Burrow 
#1 ·
Post any noteworthy pieces of commentary that you wish to share.

#161 ·
Re: Commentary at its best

The commentators on Star sports during the Nadal-Kendrick match were talking about Nadal's progress at Wimbledon:

"...and then he reached the final and actually gave Roger Nadal some trouble."

I guess Roger took Rafa's last name after they got married :lol:

#163 ·

during Monday's play, Chris Fowler was going through the results of the day and said something to the effect that Amer Delic kicked Gilles Simon's ass and then said "and this is the same guy who beat Andy Roddick in the US Open a couple of years ago"

:haha:

#166 ·

listening to boris becker pronounce grosjean is funny enough, i know hes german and all and i should excuse his accent but its too funny, at queens and wimbledon it changes from "contersean" and " sebastien sean"

#167 ·

Steven Martens (old Belgium Davis cup coach) and a co-commentator on sporza, belgium tv.
They were discussing the AO draw, more in particular the 1st round Moya-Blake.

-"Not an easy 1st round for Blake, Steven"
*"Definitely not, Mark, i believe Moya once reached the final of the Australian open in his younger days, did he not?"
- "Yes, he did"
* "He lost to Agassi if remember correct. How long has it been, 5 years or so, 2001 something like that. It was in the same year as he got to number 1"

moments later..

- "I looked it up, Steven. It wasn't in 2001, it was in 1997, 10 years ago"
* "1997!? That long ago? It feels like yesterday, Mark"

What they failed to find, Moya didn't lost to Agassi, he lost to Sampras and he got to number in 99.
Discusting, this Martens guy, is now working for the British lawn tennis association, making big bucks. Trying to help British tennis. I just can't stand that guy. When you here him talk, you get the feeling he knows nothing of tennis, and i'm not only talking about the history of the game.

#170 ·
Steven Martens (old Belgium Davis cup coach) and a co-commentator on sporza, belgium tv.
They were discussing the AO draw, more in particular the 1st round Moya-Blake.

-"Not an easy 1st round for Blake, Steven"
*"Definitely not, Mark, i believe Moya once reached the final of the Australian open in his younger days, did he not?"
- "Yes, he did"
* "He lost to Agassi if remember correct. How long has it been, 5 years or so, 2001 something like that. It was in the same year as he got to number 1"

moments later..

- "I looked it up, Steven. It wasn't in 2001, it was in 1997, 10 years ago"
* "1997!? That long ago? It feels like yesterday, Mark"

What they failed to find, Moya didn't lost to Agassi, he lost to Sampras and he got to number in 99.
Discusting, this Martens guy, is now working for the British lawn tennis association, making big bucks. Trying to help British tennis. I just can't stand that guy. When you here him talk, you get the feeling he knows nothing of tennis, and i'm not only talking about the history of the game.
Sabine Appelmans, Els Callens and Carl Maes are even worse, though.

Dutch Eurosport commentator when the roof of the Rod Laver Arena is getting closed:
" Of course they have taken this system from the Amsterdam Arena. That's why it's called "arena"... You commentator is just losing himself here."

Reactions: yemok
#173 ·

Jim Courier was taking the piss out of John Aleaxander all night during the Hewitt match against Russell and there was definitely some tension there

Classic
I like Courier's commentary and I can't stand JA. Good to see :yeah:

And they definately don't like each other.

And what about Philippoussis making his commentary debut (I think) today? I liked his style :yeah:

#181 ·

Has Marat been beating up on the court again? Tsk tsk. :lol:

#183 ·

OMG :haha: :haha: Our commentator is such an idiot. :retard:

Did you guys see that girls who was holding up a banner saying 'Andy please take off your shirt'?

Our commenatator said: 'haha, a fan who wants andy's underwear after the match. There have been thrown shirts in the stands, but not underwear so far' :retard: :lol: :haha:

This post has been deleted
#186 ·

Bradnam, at the end of the Nadal-Wawrinka match:

"Nadal is being interviewed on Rod Laver :lol: as we speak and we're trying to get a recording of that and luckily for Nadal Todd Woodbridge has not got the job, it's Jim Courier, so I imagine he's breathed a big sigh of relief." :lol:

#188 ·

On some tournament Ljubicic lost and commentator said: "Ljubicic lost and now he has no chances of winning over 400.000$" :lol:
That was the fond of whole tournament!

#189 ·

during the Kooyong Classic, Tommy Haas changed shirt during a break between games, and the dialogue between Bruce McAvaney and Darren Cahill (I think), went something like this.

Cahill: well, you can certainly see how fit these guys are, and how hard they must work.... that's at least a 6 pack isn't it?

McAvaney: Does that turn you on?

Cahill: I won't go there.

:lol:

#196 ·

"Federer has won 21 out of his last 22 matches here in Marat."
--Cliff Drysdale, telling us just how dominant Fed has been. :eek:
No, I'm not making that up. He was quick to switch to "melbourne" but we all know what he meant. and freudian slip anyone? :aplot:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.