Mens Tennis Forums banner

Commentary at its finest

405K views 3K replies 697 participants last post by  Burrow 
#1 ·
Post any noteworthy pieces of commentary that you wish to share.

#103 ·
Re: Commentary at its best

In the Nadal-Baghdatis Wimbledon semi-final, during the 3rd set while Nadal was eating a banana, Fred Stolle repeated the same story he told a few days earlier about Nadal choking on a banana against PHM... except this time he only played 4 sets against PHM.

:D

#105 · (Edited)

During the Baghdatis-Nadal match, a pigeon flies in the court interrupting Nadal as he prepares to serve and then flies above the spectators.

British commentator:
I hope it's not thinking of any target practice....

When at some point Marcos slips behind the baseline while trying to retrieve one of Nadal's shots and hits the ground repeatedly with his racket:
he's doing a bit of gardening there on center court...

Johnny Mac when the camera shows Villas and others in the players' box:
we've got to get these guys a barber, they should know better at their age.

During the Federer-Bjorkman match Roger is 2-0, a break up in the 3rd set, and getting ready to serve when a spectator screams in a desperate voice: 'Come on Roger!". The spectators and the commentators start laughing McEnroe says sth like: that's a really demanding fan; what more does he want roger to do? Then the british commentator: this reminds me of Russell Crowe in the Gladiator when he turns to the crowd saying "Are you not entertained?" I admit that that was after he had chopped a bloke's head off though.

Men's doubles final:
If you don't time that return perfectly Mike Bryan is all over the net like a rash (!)

#106 ·

Wimbledon Radio in the 4th set.

Federer has a point for 4-1

- 4-1 looks a lot bigger than 3-1

#107 ·

Carl Maes (Belgian Fed Cup captain): "One of the players Nadal has beaten in five sets after having lost the first two sets is Ljubicic. That was last year in Madrid, on clay of course"

#108 ·

I've received positive feedback about commentary in my national media. Sadly, the most insane commentator became Nadia Petrova's coach (yes.)
Still during USO some things could be found:

- The second match is shown at the same time on Eurosport 2. If you don't have Eurosport 2, ask your provider why is that.
- Perhaps these people haven't paid and now whine.

- The American (Kendrick) looks different because of his trousers, while our player uhmmm I mean the Frenchman (Monfils) is dressed all in red.

- (match Mauresmo - Barrois) What do you think of Monfils' new hairstyle?
- (10 sec of silence) Uhmmm I don't have an opinion yet, but I'll be wondering till the end of the day and I'll tell you.

- There's such a saying "Luck goes in a favour of the better".
- But there's also another saying...!
- Which one?
- I don't remember.

- (about Nadal's shoes) Hahaha Vamos Rafa!
- He needs it to not to be misguided which shoe goes for which leg.

:worship:

#110 ·

its.like.that said:
:lol: - top stuff Nat. Who are these guys?
The one perving at nights about WTA players became Petrova's coach as I said. The other ones hmm... some are ex ATP and WTA players but they weren't very well known except of Wojciech Fibak who called Kubot "next Brad Pitt" or Magdalena Grzybowska. One of the commentators is 86 years old. There's also another so old guy but I don't know how old exactly. The 86-yeared old's son is also a commentator and a journalist for the national tennis magazine (eg. he can make an interview with Domachowska and make himself the main star of it, by notes: "I laughed to miss Marta while asking her the question"). The other ones are more sane but sometimes they can go crazy too. I can find some more texts of them for you if you wish.

PS. Cycling commentators are even more funny. For real.

#111 ·

- His favourite surface is... chalk.

- Coria starts like an American sprinter.
- No doubt he was suspended for doping.

- Nadal looks like the world's greatest sprinter. Hmmm what was his name.. uhhh.... was it... Yes, ASA Powell.

- New balls please! Aaaahhhh straight from the shop... How yellow, how nice, how fluuuffffy!

- Maria Sharapova should get the role in the next part of "Pink Panther".

- Even children in Polesie (the poorest region in Poland) know that you can't serve Roddick on his forehand!

- Hewitt behaves like an aspirine in the glass of water.

- After Hewitt, like after a newly born child, are mommy and daddy travelling and holding his hand.

- (backhands of Mauresmo and Henin-Hardenne) It's like speaking about Christmas is superior to Easter.

- (during the commercial break, suddenly we hear) Faaaaaaascinating...
- Yeah we can talk about everything but this match.

- Dementeva's tennis is nice to watch. Just like Dementieva herself.
- True.... she's so pretty....

- He has legs, as most of the 17-yeared boys.

- (about Jiri Novak) His tennis is just like his looks.

- The weakest point of Kafelnikov is his head. This head he's shaking at this moment.

- Where is he from? Buenos Aires? (Nalbandian)
- No, Cordoba.
- You're right. He looks like he's from Cordoba.

- (about the linesman) So... this ass is about only to stand and look at the line like a dog on the bone and he even can't do this!

- Jesus! Philippoussis! What the hell are you doing?

- Mantilla is looking as he's about to die.
- He can be dying like this for two hours more.

greetings!

#112 ·

yesterday when the camera showed J-Block commentator tries to read it.: J...J....J...J Block, (in arabic) no no its james blake. And the new yorkers are supporting James Blake with T shirts saying J Blake!

#114 ·

Nathaliia said:
- Dementeva's tennis is nice to watch. Just like Dementieva herself.
- True.... she's so pretty....
This one is nice. :p We also have a commentator with a crush on her. :lol:

- He has legs, as most of the 17-yeared boys.
One commentator here said: it is easier for him to play: he has two hands. :lol: I don't remember which match, tho. :p

#115 ·

Nathaliia said:
- Mantilla is looking as he's about to die.
- He can be dying like this for two hours more.
True :lol:

Reactions: Nathaliia
#116 ·

its.like.that said:
:lol:

Keep it coming Nathii.

:D
- Romanian tennis players have been always famous of their Romanian hands.

- (about unforced errors) The German was a 40 times sinner.

- (for Polish speakers) No i sam tego chciałeś, Grzegorzu Dyndało :spit:

- Henman's tennis is a tennis of XVIII century.

- (about another commentator, during the point) Ooh I can see mister Krzystof Wanio through the window glass! Sorry, what? No, no, I won't buy myself a wig, I don't need it yet (it was that 86 y.o. who said that).

#120 ·

Video highlights of today's DC tie between GB and Ukraine, on the BBC tennis website: the commentator, Tracy Moore or something like that, says "Dolgopolov, who is ranked over 400 places lower than Murray"...

Dolgopolov is ranked 352!

#122 ·

Following the conclusion of the doubles rubber in the Argentina v Australia Davis Cup tie, Todd Woodbridge suggested that the Australian Davis Cup team may start to enter a bit of a slump over the next few years.

He then went on to suggest that Hewitt may not wish to play Davis Cup in obscure countries like Chile.

:lol:

#125 ·

Give it up Woodbridge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.