Mens Tennis Forums banner

For all Hewitt's effort, give a scenario where he holds up a GS singles trophy

1K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  bayvalle 
#1 ·
There are the obvious problems to begin with, which have nothing to do with how well (or how much better) Hewitt can play, namely Federer and Nadal. Out of the four slams, I'm giving Hewitt absolutely no chance at the French or Wimbledon. Unless Federer and Nadal both get injured, I cannot under any circumstances (even if they have a less than major injury and continue to play) see Hewitt beating Nadal or Federer at the French or Wimbledon. Nadal is the tit to Federer's tat at Wimbledon, and vice-versa for the French, so Hewitt will have to make his mark elsewhere.

As Hewitt and Rochey have loosely set Australia as the mark, and since Hewitt has threatened there once (even since Federer's rise) I concur. Nadal, despite what statistics many think may *hypotheically* give him a great chance in Australia, has not performed well at all there. He's been to the quarter's once, and I know that he's also only been to the quarters once at the US, but he took Youzny to four and actually had bit of a look in that match. Gonzalez demolished him in Australia this year. So in my hypothetical scenario, I'm going to say in Australia 2008 Hewitt is seeded to meet Nadal in the semis, and Nadal does not make it there, and Hewitt does.

I know Federer has performed very well in Australia, but he did have his one odd slam loss there. The only one on a non-clay surface in a very, very long time. So I'll say Federer is on the opposite side of the draw from Hewitt and they meet in the final. Federer pulled something in the 3rd round and has dropped a couple sets on his way to the final due to this slight injury.

Hewitt meanwhile, under the tutelage of the great Rochey, has beefed up his serve by an impressive 7-10 mph, has regained the half-step that many felt he'd loss over the past 5 years, and has moved from an ultra-defensive game to a moderately-aggressive one. Also, Rochey, having an insight into Federer's mystique, has clued Hewitt in on Fed's weakness. I, of course, cannot say what it is for fear of being taken down, but sufficed to say, it's there and Hewitt knows about it.

Hewitt junkballs his way to a 5th set. Federer has called for the trainer twice and looks to be half a step slow and is on the receiving in of Hewitt 2.0's best match ever. The home crowd is predictably fueling Hewitt's play and Federer loses 12-10 in the 5th. Hewitt holds up his 3rd and last Grand Slam title. He damages his rotator cuff the next week and is off of the tour by year's end.

Phew...it could happen, but it ain't likely.

See less See more
Reactions: The_Nadal_effect
#2 ·
You basically laid out the most likely scenario. If he gets a good draw (it used to mean avoiding Federer and Nadal, but now would include avoiding Djokovic and Baghdatis probably as well), and others are knocked out before he needs to face them, it is hard to not give Hewitt a chance when he is deep into a slam.
Desire counts for some, and he will probably always have that.

I get this feeling that with his new life, if he wins another slam, he will be close to retirement.

#4 ·
There's too many players that can beat him on a given day, look at Queens as an example.

#9 ·
Hewitt doesn't have the belief that he can beat the top players. He was up a mini break twice against Nadal in that third set tie break at the French but gave back the points with stupid forehand errors. Against Djokovic it showed even more. He served for the fourth set but played a stupid game to lose serve. In the tie break he played stupidly while Djokovic just played safe and allowed Hewitt to self destruct.

#10 ·
He would also need to avoid Roddick as well as Nole, Baghdatis and a few others

Nalby and Marat, when giving a shit could take him out. Blake could beat Hewitt, Kolya, and many others

#13 ·
when hewitt was at the top of his game...he was ultra consistent. The fighting mentality and the confidence on big points knowing that he did not rely on shotmaking to win points. He could win by outlasting and outrallying players. Now, he regularly dumps balls into the net ( maybe because he is going for it?), and isnt able to find the depth on his shots that was once his calling card. He thus has become dependent on his serve to win points, which is why he has such a low %. He goes for the first serve so much more these days.

#15 ·
Fair points.

I'm not sure if his unforced errors are because he's going for it more, to me it doesn't really look like it. I guess it's just confidence. It must also be hard with a kid now, he has more important things in his life than tennis now and his motivation to get out on the practice courts must be considerably lower than it was when he was at the top of his game.

The thing is, if he returns to his best form, I can see him winning big titles again. Although I agree what people have said that in form big hitters can beat him (they also say that with Nadal), I still feel his fighting qualities, return of serve, passing shots and lobs are up there with the very best, and it's not totally inconceivable he could win another slam.

#17 ·
I agree. If the prototype to do what Hewitt's trying to do is Sampras' 2002 Open, then the difference (not considering competition) is that Sampras had weapons and Hewitt does not. Sampras' movement may have gotten a little dusty, but his serve and forehand still had shiny moments right up to the end. Playing his best, what shot can Hewitt get past Federer or Nadal? I can't think of one.

Reactions: Mimi
#21 ·
Very unlikely but not impossible, the US Open is a better venue for Lleyton than the AO. Apart from specific players being able to take him out, the most serious problem is that the younger generation seems to have overtaken him.

#22 ·
Fedal, Fedal, Fedal. Let SOMEONE else win a slam, until then I believe that FEDAL is the champ. Fedal has won 10 straight slams.

#24 ·

I really think Hewitt can win AO 2008<:)

FED & Nadal can`t keep winning every single Slam between them forever & AO`s early in the year so surprise results often occur.

*AO`s surface will be a new type of hardcourt, faster & easier on the joints [Llegs will back himself].
*Tony Roche was always the coach wanted but due to bad timing & Roche`s other appointments it didn`t happen.
*Hewitt`s settled into married life.

#Aso long as Lleyton cracks the Top-10 again by this year`s end then I`d put him Top-3 favourites for AO 08!!
#He needs to get `big match tough` again & he needs to stay healthy!!

#33 ·

I really think Hewitt can win AO 2008<:)

FED & Nadal can`t keep winning every single Slam between them forever & AO`s early in the year so surprise results often occur.

*AO`s surface will be a new type of hardcourt, faster & easier on the joints [Llegs will back himself].
*Tony Roche was always the coach wanted but due to bad timing & Roche`s other appointments it didn`t happen.
*Hewitt`s settled into married life.

#Aso long as Lleyton cracks the Top-10 again by this year`s end then I`d put him Top-3 favourites for AO 08!!
#He needs to get `big match tough` again & he needs to stay healthy!!
I know you like your tennis and such but some things you say just reek of fanboyism so much. Hewitt in the top 3 favourites? When Federer gets worse I will be able to accept it so why can't you accept that Hewitt is no longer a top 5 player?

If Hewitt wins the AO '08 you have every right to bump this and call me all sorts of names but yor living in a dream world, Hewitt's still a good player but that's as far as it goes, there are many players with a better chance than him of winning a slam.

#28 ·
Come on, just messin' with ya'll. Tony Roche is pretty worthless after the Volandri loss exposed his uselessness. The loss to Volandri is on par with the disgrace of Sampras losing to Yzaga in the 1994 US Open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.