Mens Tennis Forums banner

Tony Roche to coach Hewitt (now confirmed)

4K views 68 replies 47 participants last post by  Tankman 
#1 · (Edited)
It has been confirmed today in a press conference in Sydney. Below is a really good article about what they will be working on. I'm looking forward to seeing the changes materialise with Roche on board.

-------------------------

Roche to coach Hewitt

By James Dampney
July 18, 2007

COACHING great Tony Roche believes Lleyton Hewitt still has what it takes to win grand slam tournaments and regain the world's No.1 ranking.

Roche, who has formerly coached top ranked players Roger Federer, Pat Rafter and Ivan Lendl, announced today his next task would be guiding the fortunes of South Australian Hewitt.

Roche will travel to all grand slam tournaments with Hewitt, as well as the majority of Masters Series events for the rest of this year and 2008.

The celebrated coach admitted he wouldn't have taken on the role if he didn't think Hewitt could get back to the top of the men's game.

"That's the goal he said. We've got to shoot for the top," said Roche, who will first help Hewitt prepare for next month's US Open.

"I wouldn't be doing this job if I didn't think Lleyton had chance of winning a grand slam."

Hewitt spent two years as world No.1 in 2001 and 2002, winning both Wimbledon and the US Open during that time.

He has been unable to add a third major title in the years since, with his closest result a defeat to Marat Safin in the 2005 Australian Open final.

Hewitt currently finds himself a lowly No.21 in the world rankings.

Roche said winning the Australian Open would be the "real big goal" and believes Hewitt only needs to make minor changes to his game.

"I just think a little bit more variety," he said. "Not so predictable and also a little bit more aggressive. Also we'll be doing a lot of work on the serve."

Hewitt, who first worked with Roche in the Davis Cup as a teenager is excited at the prospect of again working with him.

"Rochey and I have had a great relationship over the years," he said. "He's a very positive guy, he's obviously one of the best coaches in the world.

"Ever since I first started working with Rochey as a teenager that really set a good platform for me to become the best player in the world.

"I'm really looking forward to renewing our partnership. We both know what we need to do to get to the top of the game again."

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22094040-23216,00.html

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Tony Roche to coach Hewitt

finally :D CMon Lleyton

#3 ·
isn't Roche too old to coach hewitt :eek:

Reactions: A_Skywalker
#18 ·
Sounds a good deal to me, the only thing that surprises me is that Roche will apparently go to all 4 slams with Lleyton as well as the majority of the masters series. They also talk about making a few changes to Lleyton's game, mixing it up more, so it'll be interesting to see if there are experimental changes from now 'till the end of the year.

Roche says that the no1 goal is the Aussie Open, I say CMON LLEYTON!:worship:

#19 ·
Hmm, this should be interesting. Roche and Hewitt dont exactly have similar personalities. I dont think there is much Roche can do, and even if there was, will Hewitt listen?
Perhaps Hewitt is just looking for some 'inside information' on how to beat Federer? Lord knows he could certainly use some.

#30 ·
I love Hewitt, but realistically, a no1 ranking is out of reach unless Fed and Nadal are laid up - not gonna happen. But still a positive move by Hewitt, am pleased for him. An Aussie open is NOT beyond the realms of possibility.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.