#1 · (Edited)
In accomplishments.

Is that right?

None of the tard business....its kinda sad:eek::p :wavey:

roger doesnt qualify for this thread since he's well above any of them:devil:

out of active players with more than 1 slam

#4 ·
Re: Roger > Hewitt > Safin > Rafa

Rafa is nearly better than Hewitt and Safin combined at only 21.

#15 ·
Re: Hewitt > Safin > Rafa?

I've done my research and this is what i've found:

Hewitt

1. GS Singles Wins: 2
2. Amount of Singles Titles: 26
3. TMS/TMC: 2/2
4. World No.1: No.1 for 80 weeks
5. GS Doubles/ Mixed doubles Titles: 1
6. Davis Cup Winning Team: 1999 and 2003

Safin

2. Amount of Singles Titles: 15
3. TMS/TMC: 5/0
4. World No.1: No.1 for 9 weeks
5. GS Doubles/ Mixed doubles Titles: 0
6. Davis Cup Winning Team: Twice - 2002 and 2006

Nadal

1. GS Singles Wins: 3
2. Amount of Singles Titles: 22
3. TMS/TMC: 9/0
4. World No.1: Nope
6. Davis Cup Winning Team: once - 2004

So is Hewitt > Nadal > Safin a bit fairer?

#90 ·
Re: Hewitt > Safin > Rafa?

I've done my research and this is what i've found:

Hewitt

2. Amount of Singles Titles: 26
3. TMS/TMC: 2/2
4. World No.1: No.1 for 80 weeks
5. GS Doubles/ Mixed doubles Titles: 1
6. Davis Cup Winning Team: 1999 and 2003

Safin

2. Amount of Singles Titles: 15
3. TMS/TMC: 5/0
4. World No.1: No.1 for 9 weeks
6. Davis Cup Winning Team: Twice - 2002 and 2006

Nadal

1. GS Singles Wins: 3
2. Amount of Singles Titles: 22
3. TMS/TMC: 9/0
4. World No.1: Nope
6. Davis Cup Winning Team: once - 2004

So is Hewitt > Nadal > Safin a bit fairer?
Is it possible that Nadal has already surpassed Hewitt? I certainly woulden't have thought so, but looking at the numbers its really close. Obviously Nadal is better than Safin. Nadal has already won 9 TMS titles which is more than Hewitt and Safin combined. Obviously Nadal doesn't have the weeks at Number 1, but Hewitt didn't have to deal with Federer either. I'm still inclinded to say Hewitt's slightly better, but only by a hair.

#16 ·
Lol, Safin and Hewitt have to do a lot of homework to get Rafa's victories.

Remember, if you take 128 clowns from a Circus and make them play a slam, one of them will win. You can call him a Slam winner, or for a short time a #1. He's not very likely to win again, in fact has 1 chance in 128 of repeating (a little higher if he's a little less clown than others). Eventually if he tries 20-30 slams he has a decent chance of winning a second and becoming a clown legend.

But if a guy wins 81 matches in a row on Clay, and at 21 has won 3 slams and reached 2 finals, has a 2-2 record on hard court with Roger and has won 9 MS Shields, you can start thinking he's not a clown. Maybe he's really a champion. Maybe he has something. Guga Kuerten had something. Agassi had something. Roger has more than anyone else. For how long? no one knows, maybe 3 years, maybe 10. But don't make me laugh comparing a true champion with those that never proved again... and again... and again... and again that they deserved to be called champions.

With due respect to Safin and Hewitt, of course. I like to watch them play :)

Reactions: Mimi
#26 ·
Yes, in my reply I tell you that even NOT considering Rafa is just 21 I consider him having achieved way more than Marat and a little more than Hewitt, even if he retired this evening.

#28 ·
If all 3 of those players retired by the end of the day today, it would be pretty close for Hewitt and Nadal, but I think Nadal would be given a slight edge because he is UNDEFEATED at Roland Garros. That is a pretty remarkable record, to have never lost a match at a Slam. Also, his Masters titles have come on different surfaces, which is also impressive (even if it's only 2 different surfaces, but that's not bad for an alleged 'clay courter' no?).

#31 ·
If all 3 of those players retired by the end of the day today, it would be pretty close for Hewitt and Nadal, but I think Nadal would be given a slight edge because he is UNDEFEATED at Roland Garros. That is a pretty remarkable record, to have never lost a match at a Slam. Also, his Masters titles have come on different surfaces, which is also impressive (even if it's only 2 different surfaces, but that's not bad for an alleged 'clay courter' no?).
Tell me one great claycourter Nadal defeated in RG.

#29 ·
Nadal is definately more accomplished than Hewitt and Safin and I think that two years from that it will be undebatable.

I pick Hewitt over Safin but those two are extremely close.

#34 ·
In order of achievements:
1 - Nadal - 3 grand slam titles, 9 masters series titles, 10 other titles, record 81 match claycourt winning streak
2 - Hewitt - 2 grand slam titles, 2 masters cup titles, 2 masters series titles, 20 other titles, 80 weeks and 2 years ended as world no. 1
3 - Safin - 2 grand slam titles, 5 masters series titles, 8 other titles, 8 weeks as world no. 1

#37 ·
today hewitt has the edge over both safin and nadal but in one year nadal will clearly pass them both...cause people look just at slams and weeks as nr1 that has to be the two real indicators

#40 ·
Glen, if Rafa is just a moonballer and nothing compared to Kuerten, how is it that Kuerten lost in clay to several other players over the year, yer Rafa has lost 1 clay match in 3 years?

Kuerten was amazing, I would love to see the match and certainly you can be right and Guga win, I don't know. But no way Guga's play is something "superior" to Rafa's.

#55 ·
Glen, if Rafa is just a moonballer and nothing compared to Kuerten, how is it that Kuerten lost in clay to several other players over the year, yer Rafa has lost 1 clay match in 3 years?

Kuerten was amazing, I would love to see the match and certainly you can be right and Guga win, I don't know. But no way Guga's play is something "superior" to Rafa's.
Guga was a joy to watch. Offensive tennis, great serve. Not a grinder just running and moonballing.

Of course I know of Guga, Gu dear :kiss: I am a registered Gugaholic.

Since they never played each other, I won't say Guga would defeat Nadal easily. I do acknowledge, IMHO, Guga at his prime has a chance of defeating Nadal.

Guga is one hell of a player playing on clay (and he's also a very good player on fast court too, except the old days of Wimbledon :tape:) but for me, I will admit there are good claycourters that Nadal had to defeat during his run in the clay courts while you never will.
Good claycourters like who? Puerta? That's a joke.

treating a player who plays with a lot of top spin a moonballer is so of the dark age :yawn:
Nobody asked your opinion.

I know he never played Guga. :rolleyes: I'm sure Guga would have beaten Nadal in 2000, Rafa was only 13 :)
Was this an attempt to be funny? No soup for you.

Where did I say he was the best claycourter ever? I said that to be undefeated at a Slam is an incredible accomplishment. Feel free to re-read my post. :)

I work very hard not to assume anything, ever. I guess, I estimate, I think, I draw conclusions, and I ask questions. Perhaps you should try the same, no?
Maybe, no? Yes, no? No, no?

#45 ·
Hewitt and Safin are not clowns, many players have been dominated by other greats without beeing remembered as clowns. Hewitt and Safin will be remembered as great players, just not legendary status like Federer and Nadal. To call anyone who has been in 4 grand slam finals and won 2 different grand slams a clown is just not fair, specialy when they played in the same time as the GOAT.

#47 ·
By this time next year, the argument will be absurd, but there is no way Nadal's achievements SO FAR can surpass Hewitt's run of 2 consecutive year end #1's and 80 weeks at #1.

Safin is way below those 2 currently, but he probably has a better chance of adding something meaningful to his resume before he is done than Hewitt (since no one knows what triggered his 2 previous magical outbursts of sustained talent, it might happen again once more).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.