Mens Tennis Forums banner

US presidential election 2012

57K views 1K replies 95 participants last post by  Har-Tru 
#1 · (Edited)
obama v. romney.

it's on.

#854 ·
America is worse off...way worse than it was 4 years ago so he has to go. It appears the US has an administration now that clearly has no idea how to budget money responsibly. The decisions (and lack of) last four years have been killing business and industry in this country. This administration also seems to have a knack for circumventing the constitution which, like it or not, the overwhelming majority of Americans still believe in.

At present the national debt is the equivilant of ever single person in the country being $50,000 in the whole. A family of four = $200,000 in debt. Nice job budgeting there elected government chumps! This administrations answer is to print more money for the most part and keep going with no approved budget. Thats just not going to work. Interesting times in that people are learning to have a better understanding of what currency actually is in society. Its not really something you can print your way out of.

We will see what Romney comes up with. If he makes things worse and the dems have a better alternative (doubtful) then in 4 years Romney will be gone as well.

Obama has been kind of an interesting ride with the currency. It reminds me of what Argentina went through years ago (and still is somewhat).

#855 ·
ok, i think i figured it out. mitt romney is disdainful of anyone receiving government assistance because...
Posted on September 19, 2012

ok, i think i figured it out.

mitt romney is disdainful of anyone receiving government assistance because:

he comes from a rich and privileged background, so he's never needed or received government assistance. and
he comes from a rich and privileged background, so he's never known anyone who's needed or received government assistance.

almost everyone i know has received some sort of government assistance, whether it's student loans or small business loans or medicare or medicaid, and almost everyone i know now pays taxes and contributes to society.

i'll use myself as an example.

i was the only child of a single working mom. we struggled a lot economically, and there were times when we lived off of food stamps and social security and government assistance. and then when i went to university of connecticut and suny purchase i received pell grants and student loans.

so, according to mitt romney, i was part of the 47%: "who are dependent upon government, ... who pay no income tax. ... My job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

in the last 20 years i have either personally or professionally paid millions of dollars in income taxes to the state, local, and federal government. i have employed hundreds of people, who have in turn paid income taxes and in many cases have gone on to start their own businesses.

so i think it's safe to say that the government assistance my mother and i received was money well spent. i was able to go to decent schools and get a decent education, all thanks to 'government assistance'. my mother and i were able to eat, all thanks to 'government assistance'. i was able to see doctors, all thanks to 'government assistance'. we were able to pay our rent at times thanks to 'government assistance'.

not to mention the roads, clean water, streetlights, police departments, fire departments, clean air, libraries, public transit, electricity, etc that all came from the government and enabled my mother and i to stay alive and live good, educated, safe, and healthy lives.

mitt romney came from extreme wealth. he has never once needed financial assistance from the government, as his family had millions and millions of dollars.

but there are millions and millions and millions of americans like me who didn't come from extreme wealth and who needed help with education and food and health care and shelter, but who have gone on to start businesses and pay taxes.

we are not an 'entitled' class, we are not 'dependent upon the federal government' and we do not consider ourselves 'victims'.

we are the hundreds of millions of americans who had the misfortune of not being born to millionaire parents.

so i understand why mitt romney is disdainful of government assistance, as his parents paid for everything and he never needed help being fed or educated or looked after by doctors. i understand that in mitt romney's entire life he's never known anyone who's needed student loans. he's never known anyone who needed food stamps to keep their family fed. he's never known anyone who's had to spend hours in a health clinic just to get basic medical care. he's never known anyone who couldn't pay the rent.

i understand that mitt romney grew up with phenomenal wealth and privilege but i don't understand why that leads him to contemptuously dismiss anyone (like my mother and i)who have, at times, needed government help with food and education and shelter and health care.

mitt romney is a product of wealth and privilege. that does not give him the right to loathe and dismiss the rest of us who are not the product of wealth and privilege.

oh, for some reason i was thinking of 'common people' by pulp when i heard romney's quotes.

"But still you'll never get it right,
cos when you're laid in bed at night,
watching roaches climb the wall,
if you call your Dad he could stop it all.

You'll never live like common people,
you'll never do what common people do,
you'll never fail like common people,
you'll never watch your life slide out of view."

- Common People by Pulp

- moby
the pulp reference is somewhat ackward but moby's point is spot on

#857 ·
I thought the Pulp reference was brilliant and very to the point.

#856 ·
Romney camp imploding, particularly the down ballots.

Good to see.

#860 ·
Mitt "I would plant a dirty bomb in Chicargo" Romney

Note how he uses Obama's town, Chicargo :lol:

#861 ·
a month and a half until the election and i think b/c of Romney's big mouth he will lose this, on the other hand If the economy continues to sputter and the oil price will leaped Obama can pack a suitcase.

anyway i cant stand obama and Romney seems rich and full of himself.

i hope the best person for the US Citizens will win

#864 ·
:haha:

#865 ·
Sorry :p

Ca, car, oh fuck that's Detroit :facepalm:

#875 ·
Just rewatching the brilliant film "JFK" by Oliver Stone.

Nothing changes in US politics.

#882 ·
Stones film implies the link to big business unhappy at their interests not being looked after in the Latin American region.

I don't know much about JFKs assassination so this may be untrue :shrug: but it sounds familiar.

#883 ·
it is well known that Stone's film is a work of fiction. The ''who killed JFK?" question was the original breeding ground for conspiracy theorists. And Garrison was the original conspiracy theorist, making a career out of it. With Stone's movie based on Garrison's conspiracy theory book, it is no longer possible to differentiate between truth and fiction.

#890 ·
Very good debate tonight. Both guys accomplished their jobs. Ryan gave no real clear answers but he was fluid and he's smart. Biden was aggressive and was a pitbull. Ryan was a little bit too "mathematical" whereas Biden was more passionate so I think he won, but I don't see Obama getting a major bump, only 1-1.5 points if any.

#894 ·
Ron Paultards :stupid:

Biden was great tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.