Mens Tennis Forums banner

2014 December show down

9K views 99 replies 20 participants last post by  RustyOz 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

So we are only about 4 weeks away for this years 2014 australian open wc play off!

Im guessing the top 8 seeds would look something like this:

#1 James Duckworth
#2 Thanasi Kokkinakis
#3 Jason Kubler (?) any news if he will give it a slog?
#4 Luke Saville
#5 John Millman
#6 JP Smith
#7 Alex Bolt
#8 Ben Mitchell

The rest of the field would be the likes of

Matt Reid
Jordan Thompson
Matt Ebden (?) not sure whats going on with him
Omark Jasika

and 4 others wonder who will be invited

See less See more
#67 ·
Santillan has once a generation reflex shots IMO. I seem to be basically the only one incredibly excited by him but to me this guy has Federer level groundstroke talent. There is absolutely no shot he can't hit. This doesn't mean much- I'd say the same for Ungur- but his potential is just huge, even with 20% first serve he could be top 20 if he can ever get his game under control.

#75 ·
It could well be Kate. It is back, hamstring, leg.....goes on and on and on.
Well, could just be still growing? Though by this point you would have hoped things started to stabilise!

By the way, can anyone fill me in on background of O'Connell - didn't win his match but seemed quite impressive all the same, and seems to be a late starter moving up pretty quickly?

#76 ·
Luke will be pretty stiff to miss out on a WC based on what he's achieved this year, bad timing with the injury.

O'Connell has had one or maybe two major injuries that kept him out of action for an extended period a few years ago... Before that he was a decent junior, he beat Saville at the 18s tournament in the December Showdown off memory.

#77 ·
Luke will be pretty stiff to miss out on a WC based on what he's achieved this year, bad timing with the injury.

O'Connell has had one or maybe two major injuries that kept him out of action for an extended period a few years ago... Before that he was a decent junior, he beat Saville at the 18s tournament in the December Showdown off memory.
Yes certainly a tough one. And thanks for the background - seems to have last played futures in 2012, next thing on the ATP site is challenger early this year. Only played outside Oz in May/June and September though, so wonder if he is self-funding?

#80 ·
Don't really mind who wins the Final, Smith or Thompson, as they are both likable and I like them both.
But Smith to edge Thompson, based on current form and experience imo.

#86 ·
Thompson cramping in the 5th set, 6-1 6-3 1-6 6-7 *3-4. Can't move properly and improvised service motion.
Live chat for youtube stream disabled after people were complaining about the commentators :worship:

#91 ·
Dafuq am I watching

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.